Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    But i forgot most tanks are JC+BS for the overpowered gems.
    Ench+BS here

For some reason I can never remember the alchemy trinket. Not sure why, although I'm not that crazy about it. I like the mastery on it but the rest is a bit meh; the stamina is unnecessary and the socket is useless. The +40% on healing potions is kinda nice I guess but I almost never use healing potions. All and all, it seems the trinket is trying to do the job that several other trinkets that do it better; the TB trinket for mastery and Vial of Stolen Memories for stamina, and both have a better use function.

It's probably good for entry level, before you have access to other trinkets but I wouldn't use it after better ones become available.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    Ench+BS here

For some reason I can never remember the alchemy trinket. Not sure why, although I'm not that crazy about it. I like the mastery on it but the rest is a bit meh; the stamina is unnecessary and the socket is useless. The +40% on healing potions is kinda nice I guess but I almost never use healing potions. All and all, it seems the trinket is trying to do the job that several other trinkets that do it better; the TB trinket for mastery and Vial of Stolen Memories for stamina, and both have a better use function.

It's probably good for entry level, before you have access to other trinkets but I wouldn't use it after better ones become available.
    This makes no sense. You say that the stamina is not needed on it, yet you're an enchanter. Basically (assuming a 40 mastery gem), the alchy trinket gives you 380 stam + 253 mastery + the increase in potion efficiency vs 321 mastery or 482 stam + a powerful use. If you convert it to stamina equivalency (to make the comparison easier) you get 760 stam worth of itemisation + a weak extra effect vs 482 stam + a powerful extra effect, discounting heroic items, I'd say that the ideal combo to have is the magmaw trinket, mirror and this (if you're an alchemist) and to swap them depending on the fight. I'd easily take the alchy trinket over the vial.

Also, keep in mind that healing potions had a rather hefty buff in the last patch, a 30k HP potion really isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hykon View Post
    I'm shooting to get both the Stamina trinkets. What I've been trying to do is create a nice balance between avoidance and health. With my current gear, I am still soft capped with JC Stam gems and my two avoidance trinkets unequipped, so the extra health would be really nice.
    I'm going to have to object to this "soft cap" idea. I assume you're referring to avoidance, in which case it is more like:

77.4% - Weak-Soft-Cap (Shield Block caps me 1/3 of the time.)
    102.4% - Strong-Soft-Cap (Always unhittable.)
    102.4% Parry/Dodge - Hard Cap (Invincible.)

The main reason for my objection is that the weak-soft-cap isn't really a milestone. If you're still being hit, you're not unhittable. You don't notice the difference if you gain or lose a bit of extra avoidance.

I don't want to turn this thread into another avoidance discussion because they already exist everywhere, but the benifits of Mastery-Dodge-Parry do not decrease anywhere close enough to make staminia more beneficial to the avoidance tank. Only when you reach the passive strong-soft-cap can you start to consider the merits of other stats.

I however, don't object to you if your personal preference is stam to a certain arbitary cap, at which point you switch to avoidance. Just don't approach it from the other direction without reaching a passive avoidance cap.

I'm also not saying the epic stam trinkets are useless, they have their uses, after all the avoidance use/proc effects are rather powerful.

---------- Post added 2011-02-25 at 05:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by iglocska View Post
    Also, keep in mind that healing potions had a rather hefty buff in the last patch, a 30k HP potion really isn't bad.
    I don't use potions often, but isn't an armour potion more useful for a tank than a hp pot most of the time? (Unless you're about to die ofc, in which case omg hp pot!!!)

Hehe, indeed normally the armour potion is better, but it depends on the fight (lots of spell damage = the health pot is better). I also tend to avoid the armour pots on fights where I have a higher chance of going down fast unexpectedly, the health pots did save me quite a few times in those situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ench+BS here

I will disagree a bit with you there, yes sta is meh right now, but between all stamina trinkets, the alchemy trinket is my favourite, because the secondary effect is pure mastery and an extra socket, which you can put another 40 mastery (total of 253) or another 60 stamina (but we can ignore the 10 crit socket bonus).
    Thats 380 stamina + 213 mastery + socket
    Magmaw trinket is 482 stamina and a special effect that doesnt beat 213 static mastery (it has under 10% uptime, but depends on the fight).
    Vial is 482 stamina and avoidance on low uptime aswell (about 15%?), but in my opinion is just as good.
    The best mastery trinket is the mirror at the moment, gives a total of 321 mastery (vs 253 alchemy trinket).

Maybe the alchemy trinket is underbudget? That +40% from potions shouldnt cost so much on itemization.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I use Mirror and Mastery/str JC on use dps trinket. I also use elixirs of the master and prismatic elixirs... I have a total of 93% towards the 102.4 un-hittable cap, with zero pieces of heroic gear. Gives a nice magic resist and block buff, haven't had any problems so far (just started heroic Magmaw this week).

It's all about what you like, sure I only have 165k hp buffed, but having 62.5% block is pretty damn awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    Always carry a bag full of trinkets...
    I have three sets of gear I'm working with right now (still short Helm of Setesh on my +stam set)

** Note - HP is unbuffed
    Stam set: ~200k -- used for magic-based encounters
    Avoidance: 22%dodge/parry, 40%block, 160k+ hp -- harder-hitting encounters
    Mastery: 50%+ shieldblock, 12%dodge/14%parry, 160khp -- gear for fast-hitting encounters or multiple targets, +shieldspike

I have all Heroic 5-man trinkets and equip that which is most needed (occasionally the +Expertise stone when I need a lil extra umph) - but generally trinket to fit the above examples. Trinkets are extra utility; Not since the original Styleen's Impending Scarab, will trinkets ultimately make or break any encounter**...

** Edit ** some just do cool things to make the game more fun Go wild in a in a bubble! OMG! DOUBLE RAINBOW!
    Last edited by hythos; 2011-02-25 at 06:26 PM.
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iglocska View Post
    This makes no sense. You say that the stamina is not needed on it, yet you're an enchanter.
    What does my professions have to do with it? I didn't pick enchanting based a notion that it would be a great prof for tanks, but based on having one would be beneficial for the guild. You will notice that I did not say it was a bad trinket but I can't really value it very highly against the alternative combos.

The +40% extra HP, can be useful but I will much rather pick passive mitigation, like that of Porcelain Crab that grants 1710 Mastery after receiving a melee attack. That constitutes 14.3% extra block and can have ~20% uptime. Compared, the +40% doesn't really feel like that much. By not using it, also lets me double pot on an armor potion, further increasing mitigation.

I will disagree a bit with you there, yes sta is meh right now, but between all stamina trinkets, the alchemy trinket is my favourite, because the secondary effect is pure mastery and an extra socket, which you can put another 40 mastery (total of 253) or another 60 stamina (but we can ignore the 10 crit socket bonus).
    Aye, you might have a point here, if we are comparing the stone to other stamina trinkets. Neither of the raid trinkets give anything that is useful against magic damage, just either dodge or a mastery proc. The stone's stamina is lower than the others but a stable 213 mastery isn't bad. Compared to avoidance trinkets though, there are better options I feel.

Maybe the alchemy trinket is underbudget? That +40% from potions shouldnt cost so much on itemization.
    Well, no when I think about it, the trinket feels pretty budget-balanced. It comes short compared to other mastery or stamina trinkets, but it is the only trinket that combines the two. So like I said, not a bad choice for a stamina trinket. With avoidance trinkets, you can still do better with other options.

Quote Originally Posted by nikat View Post
    I actually generally use both of the Tol Brad trinkets, 650'ish master and good on uses. str = parry (almost 2%) or threat on the pull, both of which come in handy.

I would like one or both of the stam trinkets, but we aren't to heroic's yet, so stam hasn't really been a concern.
    this is what I have too... the str trinket and the resist trinket (both have passive mastery) but for fights where the boss hits really hard or has magic damage, sometimes ill swap for the JC stam trinket
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win