Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If you used to Play CSS. No matter how mature a 12 - 14 year old is, you will always hate.

I'm 16, and I get turned down from almost all guild applications for the sole reason that i'm not 18.

I guess it is fair, rules are rules and i'm not going to cry over them, but I enjoy knowing the fact that I am 150% better than their best player.

I don't really understand why people think that just because i'm not 18 my parents are going to make me go eat dinner at the dinner table, or go see my grandma.

That's not the case at all.

From this thread I learnt that the adults are as retarded as kids. People need to learn how to read what they write and understand the immaturity in them before going on about the so called 12 year olds they meet in-game. From what I seen, the so called 12 year olds in game tend to be adults also.

Quote Originally Posted by Itismyfirstpostbro View Post
    People, no matter the age, will be retards, if they choose to be.
    People, no matter the age, will have excuses to leave a raid/guild event early.
    People, no matter the age, will be bad at their class/spec, if they choose to be.

Age has nothing to do with anything. It's all player based. If you hate younger players solely because they could be bad, you should just stop playing. Everyone who plays can be bad. There's no age group that are just made of pros.

And no, there's no "generally, I find that younger kids act out more" shit that applies here. I can say "I find that most college students are terrible because they have no respect, cry about everything, and get drunk too often". But that's only a small minority of them. It's the same with young people.

If you don't even give them a shot, you're in the wrong.
    They should have a shot, absolutely. But there is a reason that you don't see 12 year olds in top positions anywhere, whether it is in video games or in companies. They are not fully developed yet, which is only natural. Their time will come. That's the difference between them and the more grown up part of the community. Not saying that grown ups can't be childish, but they usually have the choice, as you say yourself. Children don't chose to be childish, they just are. And that can be fairly annoying.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm 12 and what is this

Quote Originally Posted by Coar View Post
    I'm 16, and I get turned down from almost all guild applications for the sole reason that i'm not 18.

I guess it is fair, rules are rules and i'm not going to cry over them, but I enjoy knowing the fact that I am 150% better than their best player.

I don't really understand why people think that just because i'm not 18 my parents are going to make me go eat dinner at the dinner table, or go see my grandma.

Being good != mature

Because they're immature and they troll. Very annoying.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

15+ Year Old Account
    They're stupid, ask stupid questions, and generally bring down the average intelligence level of the player base with their shatter-prone sensibilities and short fuses. They act like the children they are because as much as they claim to be "mature" they don't even know what mature is, and won't know what mature is until they actually mature, which takes time.
    Mímir, 100 Night Elf Hunter, Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Fokaz View Post
    Being good != mature
    You're right, good thing i'm mature.

In regards to trolls, age doesn't matter. I've seen people in the 30's age bracket troll just as bad as the kids 8-14. No wonder a lot of guilds nowadays seem to require members to be 18+ (usually with a voice check on ventrillo) just to avoid problems with parents/schoolwork etcetera.

From my experiences, they are generally very immature and idiotic and will do just about anything and everything they can to grief you in some way or another. Alot of the time (not all the time) they are bad players as well and don't understand game mechanics or how stats on their toons should work. Another issue that I've had with them is that when you try to bring them to raids with you, they always seem to have to quit before the raid is over because it's their bedtime (which screws the rest of the raid over....very frustrating). And when they get in vent and start talking and they sound like they're 7 years old, it generally causes huge drama issues which leads to people getting in trouble and/or booted.

I'm not saying all younger kids are like what I described above. But from the vast amount of experiences I've had with them....they are usually more trouble than they're worth in-game. I apologize to all the younger kids who are mature though and are actually good players. It sucks for you that the rest of your age group is giving you such a bad name. Cheers.

Deleted
    The biggest idiots are not around 12, they are 17-25. They think they are so old and mature and running around calling everyone kids like they where some old retired war heroes.

Deleted

bold sentence answers all questions.
    i bet all the posts in threads here saying "i pull like whatever k dps on whatever boss etc." come from people <21.
    you know, when you grow up you will recognize that there isn't anything cool avout bragging in forums or stating "blabla im 150% better player...". thats because its just embarassing and absolutely nobody cares about how awesome you think you are.

I've been playing since I was 11.

It's a matter of what kid learns to open their mouth too quickly. I learned never to make this mistake, and not through observation either.

I knew if I wanted to get anywhere, I was going to shut up and learn. Many young kids don't understand the concept of never "being the best". I understood this the first month I played.

For one, I'm a girl. Imagine hearing me lead a raid in Burning Crusade over vent. I got lots of lol's. But I also got a lot of progress. I also gained the nickname Minnie Mouse's daughter and the guild's daughter. I got used to it. But I made sure I was taken seriously. A few got an earful from my good friends (whos ages ranged from mine to 50) and guildmates when I got hit on/misjudged right off the bat. But that luxury was only achieved after I made it possible.

Actions speak louder than words, usually. But words mattered. I made sure to check my spelling, keep calm, know my mechanics/class..ect. I also knew to wait until I gained proper respect until I officially revealed my age, especially before talking over vent. Many judge too quickly.

I am now almost 17. It still is difficult to keep a squeaky clean picture, but certainly possible. I know who I can act like a kid around and who I have to put on a seriousface for. Its surprising how much respect you can gain when people see a kid can actually play while consistently maintaining a mature stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Groom View Post
    bold sentence answers all questions.
    i bet all the posts in threads here saying "i pull like whatever k dps on whatever boss etc." come from people <21.
    you know, when you grow up you will recognize that there isn't anything cool avout bragging in forums or stating "blabla im 150% better player...". thats because its just embarassing and absolutely nobody cares about how awesome you think you are.
    I'm a healer and I don't even use recount sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like your story melarose and im 15. I hate that people automatically assume its kids acting like trolls when its everybody in a different age group acting like trolls or being annoying. All of the young players i know actually do play with maturity because they know the adults can be brutal so they dont want to take the chance of ruining their ingame experience with other people. and that its easy to hide your inner child on the internet

Deleted
    I'm a healer and I don't even use recount sir.
    so you are saying that you are 150% better than someone without any evidence? gz

Quote Originally Posted by helmaroc View Post
    I like your story melarose and im 15. I hate that people automatically assume its kids acting like trolls when its everybody in a different age group acting like trolls or being annoying. All of the young players i know actually do play with maturity because they know the adults can be brutal so they dont want to take the chance of ruining their ingame experience with other people. and that its easy to hide your inner child on the internet
    I agree.

I have definitely encountered my share of stereotypical kids who either think they know everything or refuse to learn, while at the same time making themselves obnoxious.

But whats worse is that adults take the cake when it comes to seeing immaturity. I have seen too much drama between men as old as my parents over things like gear and numbers. Their language and actions astound me day after day.

I personally like to enjoy my game (I mean, I'm paying $15 just like every other said adult out there, and I've been finding a way to pay since starting at age 11) as most others would. Maturity comes with the deal if I want to get my preferred experience out of it, because you're completely right, adults are very, very brutal just based on a the simple number that is your age.

Most of the negative discrimination against young people comes from negative experiences. Myself encountered plenty of recruits who were below 18 and were more often quite immature than not. But also our best tanks was younger than 18 and was quite mature.

But not just about being mature: if you're in a serious raiding guild it matters whether you are in control of your life or not. If you're around 13yo you probably aren't. If you've got bad grades or simply because they feel like it your parents can "pull the plug" and you will (in better case) obey them. Also had experiences on this issue, one or two of our younger raiders had to leave in the middle of the raid because their parents did not agree with playing that late. Maybe they shouldn't even have applied.

Even if maturity isn't guaranteed, at least this latter is more likely with older people.

You've been playing since you were 8? Holy shit man that is young.

Because this game has such a large age gap, people aren't really used to being 'around' so many young or older people. How do you think a person would feel and act if they had a recreational baseball/basketball/rugby/football team and while they are 18+ in age, they would have to play with little kids between age of 12-16?