Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Suggestion to fix spriests mana issues

Anyone who plays a spriest in pve or pvp will know how quick your mana goes down and what a pain it is to regen so i was thinking that Mind Flay could act like the steady shot for priests in the way that it regens your mana when your casting/channeling just like steady shot regens focus for hunters.

Thoughts?

Between Archangel, Dispersion, Shadowfiend, Mana potion and other external regens i hardly find this to be an issue in a raid environment. If you don't utilize your regen capabilities you will have OOM problems. However, i have no made any attempts to PvP as shadow so i can speak in that respect.
    People that think they know it all are annoying to those of us that do

Not to mention Masochism.

I've never come close to running out of mana on my shadow priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxcis View Post
    Anyone who plays a spriest in pve or pvp will know how quick your mana goes down and what a pain it is to regen so i was thinking that Mind Flay could act like the steady shot for priests in the way that it regens your mana when your casting/channeling just like steady shot regens focus for hunters.

Thoughts?
    If they were to make mind flay cost 0 mana, then have the Spriest mastery reduce your mana pool by 90% so that its only enough to cast 2 spells, then yeah i can see that working. /end sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

If you are having mana problems in a raid then you are doing something really wrong !

10+ Year Old Account
    While I don't have mana problems on my spriest, I do agree that it seems to be balanced at the tip of a scale. If you miss or mess up one thing, or if the fight requires significant multi-dotting, then you're pretty much SOL. Honestly, I really hate how masochism is designed. Tying a significant portion of our mana regen to sw : death doesn't seem very well-planned. At least they've fixed it so you get the mana if your pw:s absorbs the damage. I thought having shadow orbs be related to mana returns could be cool, kinda like a constantly regenerating water shield. Still, my biggest complaint is that shadow spells cost 2-3x more mana than every other caster class. I get that we have lots of mana regen tools, but the solution to "more tools" is not "more cost".

I had problems at low level Spriesting, but nothing an early Shadow Word: Death couldnt fix, if it really does need to be fixed they could add 10% spell cost refund on Crits from DoT's or something
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    And yet here we are.

i'm curious to know how exactly you're managing to go oom in pve. are you only spamming mind spike or something? o.O as people have already stated, spriests have PLENTY of regen capabilities so there's no reason to make mind flay give mana back since you shouldn't be having mana issues in the first place.

Phase 2 nefarian + Masochism ftw! Anyways, how is your spec/rotation, might have something to do with it as I tend to be the last one to run oom.

I dislike the fact that SW deals damage to us (unless you want to waste not 1, but 2 globals by first casting a shield) because that makes it unusable during key moments of certain fights, e.g. Halfus after drakes are down, H Maloriak sub-30% head phase, Chimaeron,...

Other than that, you shouldn't really have mana issues at any point in time other than heavy multi-dotting fights.

SW:D with Masochism has always been more than enough to sustain us at PvE environments. What I do notice from what I can only assume as new spriests is that they take the EJ suggested rotation too much to heart--with SW:D being a dps loss and shouldn't be used >25% hp. It's always much more beneficial to take that dps loss and use SW:D than completely going oom in a fight.

I remember this one time in a pug, about 1/2 into the 2nd boss Grim Batol's hp, he was already using his wand and had no mana at all. Needless to say we carried his fail dps and killed the boss. I already told him before that to learn to love Masochism and for the entire dungeon run, he was going OOM, even on trash. I checked my recount and sure enough, he did not cast SW:D at all.

Although I rarely have mana problems as shadow, I will admit mana regen being tied to sw: death is pretty clunky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleysia View Post
    I dislike the fact that SW deals damage to us (unless you want to waste not 1, but 2 globals by first casting a shield) because that makes it unusable during key moments of certain fights, e.g. Halfus after drakes are down, H Maloriak sub-30% head phase, Chimaeron,...

Other than that, you shouldn't really have mana issues at any point in time other than heavy multi-dotting fights.
    On fights that Shadow Word: Death would result in a suicide you generally take enough damage for Masochism to happen without SW: D
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Naxcis View Post

Thoughts?
    Ummm... like other people have said if you are getting to points where you are oom and none of your tools for getting mana back are up you are doing something very wrong. I personally like the way shadow priests play right now because it requires us to use all our tools and that is fun. Now if you mean you don't want to have to use those mana returning abilities... idk roll a mage or lock maybe?

---------- Post added 2011-03-03 at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by haydude View Post
    Although I rarely have mana problems as shadow, I will admit mana regen being tied to sw: death is pretty clunky.
    It's not like all our mana regen comes from sw: death. That's not even the most efficient way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    On fights that Shadow Word: Death would result in a suicide you generally take enough damage for Masochism to happen without SW: D
    That's true, it is just a pain not being able to use your execute for fear of smacking yourself in the face too hard and dying. Oh Curator, how I hated thee. And Netherspite and the beautiful siren-call of your beams...
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

If you're having mana trouble just SW: Death more often. There's 10k+ mana every 10 seconds if you use it every time (which you shouldn't have to). Just don't be afraid to use it above 25%. The damage lost is minimal, especially if it keeps you from going OOM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to agree with everyone else so far, Shadow Priests have absolutely no problem with Mana Regen. If you're experiencing this yourself, it's likely user error. Try doing a bit more research on the class and find out how you can improve.

I do both PvE and PvP and the only place I ever have mana issues is PvP. However, that is only when the fights drag on. I don't have Dark Archangel in my PvP build either, so if it ever be came a crippling problem I'd have a way to solve it. Fortunately, if fights are lasting that long me and my partner just aren't up to snuff compared to the other team. =)

Whenever I use SW: D to get some mana, I run around while on the global cooldown, hoping that it will make apparitions proc. So if you're really concerned about the minimal dps loss, consider doing that. Also, whenever you have to move around due to fight mechanics (avoiding flame, getting from point a to point b, etc. etc.) use that as an opportunity to use SW: D. Yes DP is better for dps when on the run, but the difference between the two is small, especially when considering that you would go OOM otherwise.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mana is only a problem in PvP and even there it's only if your dots get dispelled a lot or you're forced to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Katurian View Post
    I don't have Dark Archangel in my PvP build either
    You really should get it, it's awesome for multiple reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    That's true, it is just a pain not being able to use your execute for fear of smacking yourself in the face too hard and dying. Oh Curator, how I hated thee. And Netherspite and the beautiful siren-call of your beams...
    Haven't had any problems with it, since I only heal, but our Shadowpriest has killed himself the first time we pull Chimaeron each raid. Then he removes it from his bars until the boss is down. But I understand it's annoying?
    Resurrected Holy Priest