Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Ah is that so? Thanks for posting it in my stead then, appreciate the effort.

Whether you actually like the animations is subject to personal preference, however, the main arguement was about how Tor's models, at the moment ( perhaps not in the future, but i havent seen any improvement from day 1 and what i see is what i believe ) run clunky and animations are retardedly silly for a 2011 title.

The point i was trying to make is how, eventho subject to preference, teras models still move very lifelike and ver fluid, one animation leads to another, and it doesnt look weird or unnatural, running and straffing looks natural, and the way their clothes move when running is just a physx wonder, when talking about MMO's. but thats what you get with the unreal engine 3.

Perhaps biowares engine is just limited? nah i refuse to buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsting View Post
    Ah is that so? Thanks for posting it in my stead then, appreciate the effort.

Whether you actually like the animations is subject to personal preference, however, the main arguement was about how Tor's models, at the moment ( perhaps not in the future, but i havent seen any improvement from day 1 and what i see is what i believe ) run clunky and animations are retardedly silly for a 2011 title.

The point i was trying to make is how, eventho subject to preference, teras models still move very lifelike and ver fluid, one animation leads to another, and it doesnt look weird or unnatural, running and straffing looks natural, and the way their clothes move when running is just a physx wonder, when talking about MMO's. but thats what you get with the unreal engine 3.

Perhaps biowares engine is just limited? nah i refuse to buy that.
    Uh.. It's using the HeroEngine, which is probably one of the most technically advanced game engines out right now. It supports PhysX and DX11, but I doubt those would be enabled in a MMO.

Tera looks like another one of those Korean grindfest MMOs. Sure it looks pretty, but it suffers from that anime style and I really don't think it will do well in US/EU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps it is simply taste.
    When I look at a game like Tera, I don't see the models as fluid and definately no where near life like. I see over the top swirling hips, strange gestures, and frilly hands while running.

I look at TOR, and the only thing I can agree with is the running. They kind of stand upright and almost have a "Oh, something is lodged in my ass and it hurts" feel to it. If that is how final product ships, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't need, nay, I don't want characters that dance around with flowing scarfs and look pretty. I want gameplay. I don't want Final Fantasy X through 15. I want Tactics, and 1-9. =)

That said, I still think the models in TOR are great and also better than these other games.

This gives me a good idea for a future thread. =)

I don't think any games truly perfect running animations. They are hard to do. Bioware has said that they are placeholders, and I hope thats true, but running animations are such a minor complaint. I would hardly notice it when I'm involved in the story and gameplay. After all, I've dealt with my male human running animations in WoW for 5 years. Nothing comes close to how horrible those were.

Deleted
    Well it clearly is a preference issue then as we all look at it through different eyes, and pleas Moar, you are losign all credibility when i specifically stated that we would leave the gameplay out of it.

But you just had to bring it up, so im just going to assume theres not going to be any serious debate between us as you feel the need to drag other elements ( of a game you never played or saw ) into the mix.

I think i would enjoy Tor's story and gameplay a lot more then tera, but as a human being, with a good set of eyes in my head, i just cant compare tehse two games in this current state. Its like apples and, well, rotten prumes for now.

The only reason im sort of hating on it because i want it to succeed soooo badly, but i DO care for easthetics because i didnt buy a 2500 euro machine for nothing and it is the new decade already, 3D television without glasses are around the corner and we are getting "stick up my ass" characters from the 32 bit era. I just believe with all that lucasmoney they could do so so so much better. Id appreciate them reducing the graphical " splendour " with 50% and actually fixing the animations. Becuase thats what made wow passable in the past.

Anyways lets forget about tera, final fantasy, and god knows what, we've gone pretty offtopic with this already
    I just want the straffing and run and gunning fixed, to me personally, its a dealbreaker. It just doesnt fit in this day and age.
    For anyone not troubled by this, I wish I was more like you guys, seriously.
    Last edited by mmoc8511c888fc; 2011-03-03 at 08:31 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait till you start using the cover and fire system in SWTOR, you'll probably have a different opinion after that.

I'm trying really hard to like this game because I love Star Wars and I need something to do other than level alts in between WoW raids... but it just doesn't look that great. None of these videos really get me excited for the game, the thing that really turned me off was the guy getting shot by rapid laser fire and not reacting to it at all. Even ignoring the mediocre animations (still better than WoW's but WoW is way older than SWTOR so not really fair) it doesn't look very enticing, hopefully at PAX they show off some better footage.

I do agree about the animations; I hope that they are indeed placeholders. If they aren't I can't really see playing it for too long, just because to me, smooth animations are everything really. Without them, a game just looks clunky and soulless, totally unpolished and scarcely worth the time it takes to play the game.

I know that this wasn't always the case, and in ye olden dayes of video gamin', graphics most certainly weren't everything, but there's just no excuse for sloppy animations anymore these days, especially with a property this big and coming from somebody as good as Bioware. Hope they're placeholders.

The animations are better than the competitors, even for placeholders, so I really don't care. Hell, you hardly will ever see any of the combat animations in WoW unless they are just explosions of colors. Pretty much every Melee animation is the same, and none of them go through all the way when your actually playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    Well until you provide reasons why you think the animations are bad, I wont take it seriously. Everything in this trailer looked very smooth to me. The flame thrower, the part where he froze the jedi and transported him in the carbonite, all looked great and much more advanced than animations in current MMOs.
    Can I ask you same thing? tell me why you think these animations are good aside from personal preferences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just release the damn game allready :P

Im either playing Imperial Agent or Bounty Hunter, ill decide the day i log in.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Can I ask you same thing? tell me why you think these animations are good aside from personal preferences.
    Because I think they look smooth for the most part. The flamethrower looks great and some of the best animation work we've seen in a MMO. I think it is very cinematic, and will offer the most immersive experience we have yet to see in a MMO. It's not just the animations, but the sound is top notch as well. Both the effects and the voice acting. Just listen to the crackling of the flame thrower. It sounds awesome.

Who would want to play bounty hunter in SW game? rly?

The same reason why people want to be Boba Fett or Han Solo.

Deleted
    and some of the best animation work we've seen in a MMO.
    No, the best you've seen, I've seen better. Let's keep our opinions to ourselves

Edit, gz to me on getting my 100th post in a star wars thread.

Because I think they look smooth for the most part. The flamethrower looks great and some of the best animation work we've seen in a MMO. I think it is very cinematic, and will offer the most immersive experience we have yet to see in a MMO. It's not just the animations, but the sound is top notch as well. Both the effects and the voice acting. Just listen to the crackling of the flame thrower. It sounds awesome.
    Look..this is leak probably..but still ..watch the game..in pre alpha phase... no korean grindfest.. not asian oriented... but still the animations are much more fluid and natural comparet to what ToR has..
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/03...rea-for-guild/
    (its Guild Wars 2)

I don't want compare these two games.. but when you put these two games side by side.. it's very clear ToR is lacking so much animation wise

Deleted
    The music in the trailer is epic. Love Two Steps From Hell. And seeing this video makes me question my choice of side in the conflict. I might after all roll a bounty hunter. Still until I get some hands on time with the trooper,the BH and the Jedi Knight, and maybe Consular, I will not be able to decide. The Sith Assassin and Imperial Agent also sound cool... Damn...

Who would like to play a BH in a Star Wars game someone asked. I say a whole lot of people. Boba/Jango Fett fans maybe? Go shuffle through the game forums and you will see each class has an almost equal number of fans. That for me seems like a very decent job on BioWares part making all classes equally appealing.

And as for the animations...well, yes I am an avid fan of the game and I must admit they look a bit awkward but after playing a Worgen for a while nothing really bothers me. That thing changed my mind about how weird animations look. For me in ToR they are fine. And I noticed a big improvement in foot placement and torso movement in recent videos. It shows they are working on them. It has also been mentioned that the animations are sort of placeholders and will be different at launch(will probably be shown sooner). As will the UI of the game. The latter was confirmed by a developer. They WILL overhaul the entire user interface so nothing we see now in videos will be the same when the game launches. As for animations there has been no confirmation but it is plausable. Time will tell. But this game can not come out soon enough.

The animations in TERA look retarded. Of course this is my opinion and as someone stated before me to each his own. Comparing the animations of TERA and TOR is foolish. After all each game tries to convey a different feel and gameplay. So saying one is lacking or is better is kinda dumb. Also comparing the games in general is not a good idea. They are both MMOs and thats about it. ToR is it's own thang', TERA is its own thing.
    Last edited by mmocb95650c314; 2011-03-03 at 09:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarsting View Post
    No, the best you've seen, I've seen better. Let's keep our opinions to ourselves

Edit, gz to me on getting my 100th post in a star wars thread.
    the graphics in TOR are better than WoW....dont even try and make a case against it.WoW's decrepit 6 year old engine is in dire need of overhaul

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Look..this is leak probably..but still ..watch the game..in pre alpha phase... no korean grindfest.. not asian oriented... but still the animations are much more fluid and natural comparet to what ToR has..
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/03...rea-for-guild/
    (its Guild Wars 2)

I don't want compare these two games.. but when you put these two games side by side.. it's very clear ToR is lacking so much animation wise
    No. That was a very slow video that showed almost nothing. The game also looks too "anime" for my liking anyways.

Didn't somebody else in this very thread say that the animations aren't final and are just placeholders? There's no reason to really pretend otherwise, I mean, I want this game to succeed as much as anybody, I love the hell out of Star Wars. But just watch the bounty hunter run for a few seconds in that video. Watch as he transitions from 'running' to 'standing' to 'pointing carbonite gun.' There's this awkward, horrendous, jerky pause between each of those animations. He runs, stops, stands stock straight up, then points the weapon and fires. I pray it isn't final.