Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Tera and Guild Wars 2 are the two hot sisters battling it out, guild wars 2 is the hot caucasian chick everyone wants to get on good terms with, Tera is that mysterious asian chick that has a lot of biases to crush as to how she performs ( metaphore this as much as you'd like ^^ ) and Tor, the other Next-Gen MMO ( im leaving Rift out of this because its really not next-gen ) is the cute litte sister who at the moment, should be placed in a wheel chair because her physique doesn't look to steady.

Edit, and too finally get over this Whole " Zomg it looks too anime thing"

BINGO

I rest my case.
    Last edited by mmoc8511c888fc; 2011-03-03 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Didn't somebody else in this very thread say that the animations aren't final and are just placeholders? There's no reason to really pretend otherwise, I mean, I want this game to succeed as much as anybody, I love the hell out of Star Wars. But just watch the bounty hunter run for a few seconds in that video. Watch as he transitions from 'running' to 'standing' to 'pointing carbonite gun.' There's this awkward, horrendous, jerky pause between each of those animations. He runs, stops, stands stock straight up, then points the weapon and fires. I pray it isn't final.
    Its the same for every MMO. Theres room for improvement, but theres jerkiness in every game, including WoW. You hardly pay attention to the animations in WoW though since your camera is 20 feet away from your character, and you're paying attention to the numbers that pop up on screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Didn't somebody else in this very thread say that the animations aren't final and are just placeholders? There's no reason to really pretend otherwise, I mean, I want this game to succeed as much as anybody, I love the hell out of Star Wars. But just watch the bounty hunter run for a few seconds in that video. Watch as he transitions from 'running' to 'standing' to 'pointing carbonite gun.' There's this awkward, horrendous, jerky pause between each of those animations. He runs, stops, stands stock straight up, then points the weapon and fires. I pray it isn't final.
    Like somebody posted earlier,PAX is almost here and Bioware has a huge booth setup dedicated to TOR.Game is still in Alpha phase,if it was in the Beta phase of testing and looked that way,then there would be need for concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsting View Post
    No, the best you've seen, I've seen better. Let's keep our opinions to ourselves

Edit, gz to me on getting my 100th post in a star wars thread.
    Amuse me, name 1 better. Name an MMO that does a better flame effect and other general animations. I will eagerly await your answer because you're just being silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsting View Post
    Tera and Guild Wars 2 are the two hot sisters battling it out, guild wars 2 is the hot caucasian chick everyone wants to get on good terms with, Tera is that mysterious asian chick that has a lot of biases to crush as to how she performs ( metaphore this as much as you'd like ^^ ) and Tor, the other Next-Gen MMO ( im leaving Rift out of this because its really not next-gen ) is the cute litte sister who at the moment, should be placed in a wheel chair because her physique doesn't look to steady.

Lol TOR is going to be bigger than both of those games combined, but thats just my opinion. But it is a fact that Star Wars is much bigger than those.

TERA will not do well because it will be grindy like all korean games are. It is not marketed for us, and they will release updates months later for the US/EU, which is a game killer already.

I don't see Guild Wars competing with TOR. The first game wasn't even an MMO. I'm sure this one will be more than the first one, which was nothing but instances.

Deleted
    This thread has too much "own opinions" going on and too few "realistic imputs"

So far Ive only seen myself, trollbane and Hevecius being objective ( sorry to you guys that i havent mentioned, theres plenty of heads screwed on straight on this thread, forgive me )

I'd appreciate it if everyone could just stick with clearly stating something is their opinion, as I and Trollsbane have, because it's quite vexing to see other people implying they speak for me.

And for those of you just comming in this thread and asking me or other people questions, I suggest you start at the start and not randomly drop in the middle of a heated conversation without getting up to speed, do your research and contribute in a fun way.

Just to make it clear Moardin, we arent attacking you personally, we just try to justify our point of view like you try to do yours, but you keep trying to speak for others and again you talk smack about videogames you never played, tera grindy? thats why im level 50 and stilll have a bunch of single and dungeon quests in my log unfinished? You need to get off the net and go to the store. Youd probably skip on The Pacific if one tard typed smack about it.

Deleted
    As I already said, stop comparing ToR to all those other games listed. They are MMOs and that's about it. It may sound overly fanboish but ToR is in a league of it's own. It also comes down to personal preferences as stated a million times. Gamers should want each game to do well. Competition is good for the market. We as players can only benefit from it - wide variety of products, more quality in games and so on. Stop bickering like children. I bet my dad can beat up your dad.

Also, damn Two Steps From Hell songs, especially the one in the trailer, make me wanna grab a sword and start fighting. And hooray to fat NPCs and PCs in a game. No more swim suit model players/nps. I can be an obese ass kicking motherfucker.
    Last edited by mmocb95650c314; 2011-03-03 at 10:13 PM.

Deleted
    I like the idea behind the starwars theme, the story will be good and the backgrounds.. but will the gameplay be entertaining? I hope so, because i´m little tired of the good but old wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Until we have the release candidate of TOR in our hands and on our PC's,everything is speculation and opinions.

PAX east is going to be next week, and big announcements, and hands-on gameplay footage is expected. I might start a PAX east thread sometime later if someone else doesn't get to it.

Deleted
    PAX East ToR information coupled with DA2 equals too much awesomeness in one month. Head will explode.

I hope they show endgame content in ToR. It is what the community has been screaming for for ages. And I sure hope they don't make another Friday update until PAX. The last ones were embarrassing to say the least.

Waiting for BioWare games was/is/always will be hell.

All I took from that video was Sand People!!

I believe that the point that Solarsting is trying to make is that these animations are very lackluster and don't have a place in the current time and age, which I completely agree with.

But instead of normal reasoning and responding in an adequate manner, people like Moaradin resort to petty insulting of other mmo's while not having played any of them and keeps making assumptions about the gameplay of these when SW:TOR's animations get questioned.

When Solarsting mentioned that the animations of SW:TOR's were pretty unfinished when compared to for example TERA, the response he got from Moaradin was that TERA was a Korean grinding mmo. How is this relevant to Solarsting's post?

The only thing Moaradin keeps proving is that he is a Star Wars fanboy and any or all negative critic are lies and then he comes up with arguments that neither make sense nor relevance.

Your post is less on topic than anyone elses. I said why I think the animations are fine, in response to the people who said they were bad and offered no standard.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    Your post is less on topic than anyone elses. I said why I think the animations are fine, in response to the people who said they were bad and offered no standard.
    Case in point.

Edit: They don't have to offer a standard, it's clear enough from the video you linked in the OP that the animations are clunky/unnatural and have stops in between them.

Why do you feel the reason to bash TERA's gameplay in response to this?
    Last edited by Crusch; 2011-03-03 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    I believe that the point that Solarsting is trying to make is that these animations are very lackluster and don't have a place in the current time and age, which I completely agree with.

But instead of normal reasoning and responding in an adequate manner, people like Moaradin resort to petty insulting of other mmo's while not having played any of them and keeps making assumptions about the gameplay of these when SW:TOR's animations get questioned.

When Solarsting mentioned that the animations of SW:TOR's were pretty unfinished when compared to for example TERA, the response he got from Moaradin was that TERA was a Korean grinding mmo. How is this relevant to Solarsting's post?

The only thing Moaradin keeps proving is that he is a Star Wars fanboy and any or all negative critic are lies and then he comes up with arguments that neither make sense nor relevance.
    While that may be true, they are PLACEHOLDER for a reason, as BW devs have stated. I cannot find the quote at present, but there was a lengthy post over on the SW:ToR website a while ago about how certain things need to be implemented in a PH state to work on other areas of the game. For example, the run animations.

Also, I really wish people would stop judging the gameplay unless they are a game tester, in which case they still cannot judge it fully because it is still a WIP. You cannot judge from cinematic videos or outdated gameplay videos how the game will play or feel, so please stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin535 View Post
    While that may be true, they are PLACEHOLDER for a reason, as BW devs have stated.
    I'm aware of that and am solely commenting on the current animations.

Moaradin however keeps claiming that these animations are the best mmo animations.

Also, I really wish people would stop judging the gameplay unless they are a game tester, in which case they still cannot judge it fully because it is still a WIP. You cannot judge from cinematic videos or outdated gameplay videos how the game will play or feel, so please stop.
    Exactly the point I'm trying to make.

While that may be true, they are PLACEHOLDER for a reason, as BW devs have stated.

Look... Bioware released teaser.. We can judge what we see.. and animations are just bad... and combat doesn't feel natural at all.

I don't care if these animations are placeholder or not.. but TBH..animations are placeholder for daaaamn long time already. and release is pretty close.. So.. maybe these animations are almost final or marketing department is screwing whole thing a bit when they are releasing trailers with placeholder animations (which look pretty bad)

Deleted
    Well it was probably my bad for mentioning Tera in the first place as a good example of fluidly animated character models, since this game gets players all shivery, thinking its another NCsoft fail compilation while infact it's just Lineage 3 under a different name.

So I dont even want to see this game mentioned anymore in this thread, it served its purpose as to demonstrate what it did, for lack of something better ( if there is any ) i just went with this example.

Going back to the animated part. I'm not one of those gamers that likes to eye my UI up-down-left-right in a twitchy, almost hyperspeed manner. I like to look at the center of the screen, follow the action, not look at cooldowns, not worry about keeping a check on debuffs, not go epeen over the numbers popping on screen, infact, in wow i minimalized my damage to a small portion on the right side of my screen so i could only monitor whether i was doing damage or being resisted/immuned.

This in turn means i LOVE looking at my characters animations, LOVE seeing him/her run about, reacting to impacts, or seeing howhe moves, runs, jums, strafes around, the sole reason i dont pan my camera view out max but keep it on a comfortable distance so i can see what my char is doing and hows thats affecting him, thats immersion.

I dont know how heavy TOR will be in terms of " Playing the UI" like wow became many moons ago ( not hating, some people wouldnt have it any other way and im happy for ya'll ) but I hope they will keep it modest, fresh, and keep it action-packed. And part of that action is SOLID action animations! not your herp-derp ima run here, stand stil for a sec, draw mah lazorbeam, and stand there with my torso exposed, not even crouched, not event slightly bent for stability, no just standing up straight looking like a total crashtestdummy ready for some mob clobbering.

I have a lot of beef, but perhaps ive been playing too much god of war, ninja gaiden and tera for my own good. Gotta find the brakes and slow down.

This game gets me fired up, dont think for a second I would wall out so much text if i wasent absolutely in love with the concept, because I am, everything so far is made of win. But id trade an arm for some realistic movements. Arguements like " No MMO has compeltely smooth animations" is just bullshit, look at the MMOs that are out now or soon in comparison to Tor, ima say NU-UH GF! There are plenty of solid moving critters and creations in other titles :3

TL;DR? I'm getting reumatic, and aslong as BioWare fixes the animations of almost everything, like some boardmembers claim they will, then no beef, I'm going to be a happy Tor'er.
    Last edited by mmoc8511c888fc; 2011-03-03 at 11:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    I have to disagree with you .. animations are not good in any way or shape.. They are not horrible.. but are pretty bad TBH.. While WoW animations are not perfect either..feel from WoW animations is just better (and I am not big fan of WoW btw)...

Look .. I want ToR to succeed and I know ToR has awesome team behind it.. but being honest.. the game doesn't look that good or epic.. actually ..it looks pretty bad (animation and combat wise)..
    kinda off topic but you used (...) 10 times in that one post, i sir applaud you (or ma'am)

OT: this game will be good, too bad theres no open beta yet...