Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    If people get bored of World of warcraft quests, they will get bored of these ones much quickly when the glow of leveling wears off and people want to get stuck in to endgame with their alt.
    Perhaps. But at least until you level each of the classes you will not get bored due to each of them having a personal story. And that story probably has some variables in it that offer replay value much higher than that of WoW. I was bored from Cataclysm leveling by making a Warrior and a Druid. I tried to do all available revamped zones, but in the end they all had the same story and walked the same path to 85. This is not the case in ToR. At least I think it is not and I base my assumption on developer talk and some people that dared defy the NDA.

Overall getting bored of leveling is inevitable. For those that dislike the VO and will skip it and the story in order to rush to level 50 it will get tiresome faster (but then again if you dislike voice overs and the story focus and find them boring you should not be playing ToR in the first place). I for one am happy that leveling different classes and sides in the conflict will offer me a different experience in terms of character background and story and it serves as an incentive for me to level alts. As I already stated this game offers me, and the many other alt lovers, a very high replay value in terms of leveling and not being bored to death because all my characters are basically the same.

Just watched the video, and... yeah, the animations are pretty hilariously bad. The bounty hunter running with his pistol up in one hand and his other arm slumped down behind him like his shoulder is dislocated was just shameful, and the flamethrower that people keep going on about looked like the one from Shadows of the Empire for N64, with a load more bloom.

Then again, I'm probably biased because IN MY OPINION (in other words keep your fanboy nerd rage to yourself. I'm not interested in seeing some putz whine about how wrong I am for the 500th time) both of Bioware's other Star Wars games (the KOTORs) were horribad and overrated.

I foresee another Age of Conan/Warhammer/Aion incoming, i.e. a "wowkiller" that fails to make numbers because it can't compete with Blizzard.
    Yeah We ALl do m8 guess again somting went frong well lets hope it will be fixed soon
    ...?

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsting View Post
    Well it clearly is a preference issue then as we all look at it through different eyes, and pleas Moar, you are losign all credibility when i specifically stated that we would leave the gameplay out of it.

But you just had to bring it up, so im just going to assume theres not going to be any serious debate between us as you feel the need to drag other elements ( of a game you never played or saw ) into the mix.

I think i would enjoy Tor's story and gameplay a lot more then tera, but as a human being, with a good set of eyes in my head, i just cant compare tehse two games in this current state. Its like apples and, well, rotten prumes for now.

The only reason im sort of hating on it because i want it to succeed soooo badly, but i DO care for easthetics because i didnt buy a 2500 euro machine for nothing and it is the new decade already, 3D television without glasses are around the corner and we are getting "stick up my ass" characters from the 32 bit era. I just believe with all that lucasmoney they could do so so so much better. Id appreciate them reducing the graphical " splendour " with 50% and actually fixing the animations. Becuase thats what made wow passable in the past.

Anyways lets forget about tera, final fantasy, and god knows what, we've gone pretty offtopic with this already
    I just want the straffing and run and gunning fixed, to me personally, its a dealbreaker. It just doesnt fit in this day and age.
    For anyone not troubled by this, I wish I was more like you guys, seriously.
    u didnt buy 2500 euro machine for nothing?

sorry but i have friends that are just like u "graphics whores" , people that only care about graphics and small details in game but ignoring story,gameplay etc etc

I would rather play a game that has nintendo's mario graphics with awesome GAMEPLAY than rather playing some tuned up game with poor/lame gameplay (not saying TOR has bad graphics just giving an example)

also i dont know what to say for people who criticize every single detail than Haters gona hate ...

I have high hopes for SWTOR and if it lives up to its fame i will prob play it like a madman

EDIT
    If people get bored of World of warcraft quests, they will get bored of these ones much quickly when the glow of leveling wears off and people want to get stuck in to endgame with their alt.
    That will not be case with SWTOR , some beta testers alto they didnt gave specific information they said how SWTOR isnt grindy at all and is actually fun to lvl up and u really feel up to your character
    Last edited by Pantelija; 2011-03-04 at 02:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    And the animations are the best so far seen in a MMO. They aren't perfect and can be improved, but compared to other MMOs, its much better. Look at the flamethrower and how great it looks and sounds.
    lol? you need new glasses, for sure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarsting View Post
    Id appreciate them reducing the graphical " splendour " with 50% and actually fixing the animations. Becuase thats what made wow passable in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    sorry but i have friends that are just like u "graphics whores" , people that only care about graphics and small details in game but ignoring story,gameplay etc etc
    Did you actually read what I wrote? Your command of english is lacking if you cant grasp the context from that sentence and turned it into somethign complitely opposite as to what I said. I clearly stated Id like the graphics reduced and better animations in its place. What do ANIMATIONS have to do with GRAPHICS? Google both words and write both definitions down in your native tongue and figure it out.

This thread has never been about the graphics which we all think is above average and certainly not un-nice to look at, we are talking about the way things move and breathe in this living world, we arent talking about static textures that look like Bantha crap.
    Last edited by mmoc8511c888fc; 2011-03-04 at 03:04 PM.

Way i see it, the way things move and breathe is the same as seen in the Original Knights of the Old Republic. Does it look jerky? Yes. Is the combat not very fluid looking? Yeah, looks like it. Then i guess that's what they were going for.

And yes, Steven Blum is voicing the bounty hunter. Might as well, he's in everything.

That said, when i get a chance to play this game, i will make a Bounty Hunter. I like the idea of using conventional weapons, agility and gadgetry to deal with the Jedi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Sadly though I would be more excited about a video that showed ACTUAL gameplay footage of a bounty hunter killing a mob/person then this edited video we saw. Sure it looked cool, as does all of the videos they released but I want to see what it looks like to PLAY, which happens to be what i will spend money on to do.

All that aside, I will buy it and play it when it comes out, regardless of trailers and the like.
    ^This
    Showing me a video of edited gameplay is about has useful has showing a pre rendered clip to judge the games graphics on

Deleted
    I too am a bit aggravated by the fact that presumably this close to release so little is shown of the game, but you have to take the video as what it is and not judge it unfairly. It is after all a promotional clip, if I may call it so, for the Bounty Hunter class and not by any means a gameplay demonstration. The latter will be shown at PAX East as confirmed by this weeks update on the official game website. They have listed what will be shown at the convention. Amidst all the other things there will also be an extended hands on time with the game available to all who visit the event, all starting zones and classes allowed to be played(along with some mid-game), and an extensive Q&A part. It would have been rather foolish of them to make big reveals right before a major event at which they take participation, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post
    lol? you need new glasses, for sure.
    Oh look. Yet another person complaining without offering reasonings and comparisons.

Deleted
    Oh look. Yet another person complaining without offering reasonings and comparisons.
    He's right though, if you think jerking arms, erratic stanced runs and the lack of more subtle movements as great animation, I'd say you do need glasses.

Just because it's made by bioware doesn't mean it's good.

He's right though, if you think jerking arms, erratic stanced runs and the lack of more subtle movements as great animation, I'd say you do need glasses.

Just because it's made by bioware doesn't mean it's good.
    I think it is pretty jerky and can be improved. That doesn't mean its BAD compared to what we have now. WoW is a very jerky as hell game, yet nobody really complains about it? Why? Because nobody really cares.

This is a game thats going to bring story and immersion into a whole new level in MMOs, yet when you got people that constantly want it to be bad, they just cherry pick some very small things that their own games they play probably has.

Deleted
    This is a game thats going to bring story and immersion into a whole new level in MMOs.
    See this here?

This is why I think it'll be terrible, Storytelling in a single player game and storytelling in a MMO are totally different.

Bioware don't seem to see this and have you doing fully scripted voice linked quests, it basically makes it like a single player game with a few Multiplayer things placed on it. What happens if people are doing the same quest? Are you both excorting this woman? does she address both of you? does she see more than one person doing the quest? Single player stories where you "are the chosen one" are bad for a MMO, because it then makes the game have a population of several thousand "Chosen ones".

World of warcraft, though not the most diverse story, does this well, it revers to our characters as "Heroes" or "adventurers" like elite special forces. Will TOR do the same? because so far it tries to be a single player in this regard.

See this here?

This is why I think it'll be terrible, Storytelling in a single player game and storytelling in a MMO are totally different.

Bioware don't seem to see this and have you doing fully scripted voice linked quests, it basically makes it like a single player game with a few Multiplayer things placed on it. What happens if people are doing the same quest? Are you both excorting this woman? does she address both of you? does she see more than one person doing the quest? Single player stories where you "are the chosen one" are bad for a MMO, because it then makes the game have a population of several thousand "Chosen ones".

World of warcraft, though not the most diverse story, does this well, it revers to our characters as "Heroes" or "adventurers" like elite special forces. Will TOR do the same? because so far it tries to be a single player in this regard.
    No, you are not "the chosen one".

Bioware has said every quest in the game can be done in a group. There are some quest that only you can effect the outcome, like your personal story quest, but you can still do it in a group.

World Quest are the majority in the game, and thats when everyone in the group can say something, and each can effect the outcome of the quest. One person can kill somebody, while the other doesn't want to. Everyone will be part of the conversation and the NPC will recognize all of you.

Just because this game has better quest does not mean its no less of an MMO as anything else. It still has a completely open world that is persistent with or without you being there. That is the core thing something needs to be considered an MMO. Having a cinematic style quest system instead of a question mark over someones head with a quest you will not read, and will only be doing "kill 10 of X" or "fetch me 5 of X" does not make it any more or less of an MMO.

The whole point of the quest system is to make the game actually fun. The catchphrase "The game only starts at endgame!" is a really bad one, and is one Blizzard has used. You know why? Because the actual endgame content in WoW probably represents maybe 5% of the game at the most. You may spend the most time at max level, but it is never doing something new. It's from doing the same thing over and over again.

Questing does not need to be a grind. It can be a fun experience to lead you into endgame, and thats what Bioware is trying to do.
    Last edited by moaradin; 2011-03-04 at 07:19 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I got to try SWTOR in PAX, the biggest thing I walked away with was how awesome the NPC interaction is. One quest chain was given to me by a Sith Pureblood female. When I first spoke to her, she regarded me as a bug who she could squish me with her shoe and I probably wasn't worth her time. By the end of the chain, she was impressed with how well I completed the quest and hinted that we should hop in the sack together.

Hopefully SWTOR storyline and npc interaction will be too boring for some players, usually those impatient types that have the 'omg hurry up i need my phat epics, you suck i'll pwn you noob!' types. They'll stay away and leave it to those who enjoy the game for what it is.

Deleted
    No, you are not "the chosen one".

Bioware has said every quest in the game can be done in a group. There are some quest that only you can effect the outcome, like your personal story quest, but you can still do it in a group.

World Quest are the majority in the game, and thats when everyone in the group can say something, and each can effect the outcome of the quest. One person can kill somebody, while the other doesn't want to. Everyone will be part of the conversation and the NPC will recognize all of you.

Just because this game has better quest does not mean its no less of an MMO as anything else. It still has a completely open world that is persistent with or without you being there. That is the core thing something needs to be considered an MMO. Having a cinematic style quest system instead of a question mark over someones head with a quest you will not read, and will only be doing "kill 10 of X" or "fetch me 5 of X" does not make it any more or less of an MMO.

The whole point of the quest system is to make the game actually fun. The catchphrase "The game only starts at endgame!" is a really bad one, and is one Blizzard has used. You know why? Because the actual endgame content in WoW probably represents maybe 5% of the game at the most. You may spend the most time at max level, but it is never doing something new. It's from doing the same thing over and over again.

Questing does not need to be a grind. It can be a fun experience to lead you into endgame, and thats what Bioware is trying to do.
    Questing also needs to be simple and effective to keep people playing, You may think bioware were the first to think up voiced NPC interactions, but age of Conan did it as well, and guess what.

People either killed you during your talk, or killed the NPC. thats how it'll be, just terrible cutscenes being intterupted.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Questing also needs to be simple and effective to keep people playing, You may think bioware were the first to think up voiced NPC interactions, but age of Conan did it as well, and guess what.

People either killed you during your talk, or killed the NPC. thats how it'll be, just terrible cutscenes being intterupted.
    Because no one ever kills npc's in WoW. Wrote this while waiting for the flightmaster to respawn in Xroads.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nerfducken View Post
    Because no one ever kills npc's in WoW. Wrote this while waiting for the flightmaster to respawn in Xroads.
    But do they kill the NPC after going through several lines of dialogue? You choosing parts to answer as you slowly try and get questions out of them?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    But do they kill the NPC after going through several lines of dialogue? You choosing parts to answer as you slowly try and get questions out of them?
    Actually yes, I have had some one kill a NPC in WoW while doing one of those 'listen to my story' quests. It happens, you just wait for the respawn. Any one who is impatient and can't wait probably shouldn't be vesting time into an MMO anyway.

I actually read the dialogue, that's what it's there for. Why play a MMORPG if you don't care about story? If that's the case, go play an FPS or something.
    Last edited by nerfducken; 2011-03-04 at 07:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nerfducken View Post
    Actually yes, I have had some one kill a NPC in WoW while doing one of those 'listen to my story' quests. It happens, you just wait for the respawn. Any one who is impatient and can't wait probably shouldn't be vesting time into an MMO anyway.

I actually read the dialogue, that's what it's there for. Why play a MMORPG if you don't care about story? If that's the case, go play an FPS or something.
    Because when I have done the quest a million times, I know the outcome of the quest, and it'll be the same damn thing that happened before, but this time I do is as a different flavoured person.

Like I said above, having it all around ONCE is fine, but when people start making alts, it'll become boring, REALLY boring.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because when I have done the quest a million times, I know the outcome of the quest, and it'll be the same damn thing that happened before, but this time I do is as a different flavoured person.

Like I said above, having it all around ONCE is fine, but when people start making alts, it'll become boring, REALLY boring.
    There will be a skip button, just like in all the other Bioware games. They've said that regarding this point exactly.