10+ Year Old Account

Enchanting vs. Engineering

So I'm thinking of dropping enchanting for engineering. My enchanting is at 504 and I've been an enchanter since vanilla but I don't know it doesn't seem like that good of a profession to me.
    What I'm asking for is the pro's and Cons of me switching over to engineering. Maybe even a couple cool stuff ill get (don't all say the helm, i know the helm is BA) especially cool vanity or pointless but awesome shit, as well as the raid/pvp benefit of the prof. Yes I've looked at wiki but I'm asking you guys for your personal opinion on the matter, stuff that makes it AWESOME or SHITTY to YOU!

Oh and Raid wise im a warrior, MS Fury, OS Tank(which i do quite often) and my other profession is inscription which i will never drop due to the fact that I'm WAYYYYYYY too lazy to farm therzane rep.

Deleted
    What about enchanting makes it not that good of a profession to you? And what kind of a thing exactly you are looking for from a profession?

If you are looking for gear benefits, that's enchantments on rings with Enchanting and the helms and cogwheels (which are kind of superb gems that fit into the special sockets of the helms) with Engineering. Find out the stats and do the math which one would be better for you.

Cool stuff that comes with Engineering are Grounded Plasma Shield, Quickflip Deflection Plates, Spinal Healing Injector, Synapse Springs, Tazik Shocker and Z50 Mana Gulper. And of course there is the portable mailbox, bank and repair bot.

In my opinion Enchanting is good because it doesn't offer benefits just for you, but the products are also demanded by other people. You can't necessarily sell enchantment scrolls to your heart's content in the AH, but you can offer your services for a fee. Also, you can make a lot of money by disenchanting items and then selling the materials instead of the original item. With Engineering the downside is that it's not as great money maker as there isn't that many items you could offer to non-engineers.

I recently dropped 535 (belf) enchanting for engineering. Got it to 525 in 7 hours and it was WELL worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    well my thing with enchanting is im too lazy/dont have the time to sit in trade and offer my services

These are my two favorite profs, and the ones I have on my main. Enchanting is very useful because you can enchant your alts, and very profitable because it has some very relevant recipes from older expansions. Engineering is very useful because of the fun & useful things you can make, and very profitable because you'd be -amazed- at what other engineers would buy, and what they'd pay, rather than open their own engineering window and make it themselves. -Amazed- I tell ya. I'm not sure I could pick just one, I love having both.

Quote Originally Posted by Helander View Post
    well my thing with enchanting is im too lazy/dont have the time to sit in trade and offer my services
    That's why the good people at Blizz made enchanting vellums. I always said, since vanilla, that if a way were put in the game to sell people enchants in the AH, I'd be rich. Well, I'm rich.

15+ Year Old Account
    Keep enchanting, drop other profession. Get engineering. Make easy huge profit by crafting epic goggles and disenchanting them for maelstrom crystials (goggle materials on my server are around 1k, crystals are still 2-2.5k).
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Keep enchanting, drop other profession. Get engineering. Make easy huge profit by crafting epic goggles and disenchanting them for maelstrom crystials (goggle materials on my server are around 1k, crystals are still 2-2.5k).
    This. Get both enchanting and engineering before they remove the ability to disenchant goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Helander View Post
    So I'm thinking of dropping enchanting for engineering. My enchanting is at 504 and I've been an enchanter since vanilla but I don't know it doesn't seem like that good of a profession to me.
    What I'm asking for is the pro's and Cons of me switching over to engineering. Maybe even a couple cool stuff ill get (don't all say the helm, i know the helm is BA) especially cool vanity or pointless but awesome shit, as well as the raid/pvp benefit of the prof. Yes I've looked at wiki but I'm asking you guys for your personal opinion on the matter, stuff that makes it AWESOME or SHITTY to YOU!

Oh and Raid wise im a warrior, MS Fury, OS Tank(which i do quite often) and my other profession is inscription which i will never drop due to the fact that I'm WAYYYYYYY too lazy to farm therzane rep.
    I had Enchanting and Inscription and recently changed my Enchanting to Engineering. My reason for doing this is simple. Gold aside, enchanting offers very little to the person who has it. Sure it has the ring enchants, but thats it. In a lot of cases, its cheaper to buy an enchant on the AH then do it yourself. Especially while Maelstrom crystals are so expensive. Landslide as an example, costs 10k for the recipe and another 10.5k to make. I bought the enchant the on the AH for 10.5k. so here are my pros and cons.

Enchanting - Pros
    -----------------
    1. You can DE your own BOP's. Don't underestimate this, it's worth a bit of gold. I have some soulbound items that I would love to DE right now and can't.
    2. Enchanting your own gear is easy. You just pick the item and look whats available. You need to look on the AH without enchanting and it's a pain, especially if what you are looking for is not available.
    3. I miss having the DE option available all of the time although it doesn't cost that much. Most raids have a Enchanter so it's only for HC's where its a problem.
    4. +40 to each ring

Enchanting - Cons
    -----------------
    1. From a strictly selfish point of view, there is nothing special for enchanting. No cheap enchants for yourself, no gimicks, not BOP/BOE's. Nothing. Sure you have the ring enchants but every other profession has something similar.

Engineering - Pros
    ------------------
    1. Helm - don't need to say much more. I love it because it's flexible. Hit capped, add a mastery cog, etc.
    2. Jeeves - I love having him available.
    3. Gadgets are cool. I have yet to make a lot of them. I am still getting my head around the mats.
    4. +420 on gloves with an on use is for me better than the passive +80 from the rings. I get to chose when I use it.

Engineering - Cons
    ------------------
    1. Nothing yet. It only cost me 8k to level from 1 to 525 which is cheaper than it cost me to level my enchanting from 450 to 525 so I can't say it's expensive. Chaos orbs are a bit tough to get as I always seem to be rolling again 3 or 4 people and there is only 1 per instance.

On the whole I am very happy. I think bliz need to be very careful. I am sure a lot of enchanters have changed profession to engineering. Only about 40% of my HC's have the DE option so that means that less than 1 in 10 people have enchanting and there are only 8 crafting professions.

If anything, I would roll inscription on an alt if I had to switch back to enchanting in the future. I definitely wouldn't give up engineering now.

Deleted
    consider maxing ench and taking engi with it, its higly profitable. If you need gathering prof just pick it up on an alt, i think you have alts as everyone nowdays does. DE goggles and roll tons of gold, sell scrolls on AH and play it with mats who will never go out of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I had Enchanting and Inscription and recently changed my Enchanting to Engineering. My reason for doing this is simple. Gold aside, enchanting offers very little to the person who has it. Sure it has the ring enchants, but thats it. In a lot of cases, its cheaper to buy an enchant on the AH then do it yourself. Especially while Maelstrom crystals are so expensive. Landslide as an example, costs 10k for the recipe and another 10.5k to make. I bought the enchant the on the AH for 10.5k. so here are my pros and cons.

Enchanting - Pros
    -----------------
    1. You can DE your own BOP's. Don't underestimate this, it's worth a bit of gold. I have some soulbound items that I would love to DE right now and can't.
    2. Enchanting your own gear is easy. You just pick the item and look whats available. You need to look on the AH without enchanting and it's a pain, especially if what you are looking for is not available.
    3. I miss having the DE option available all of the time although it doesn't cost that much. Most raids have a Enchanter so it's only for HC's where its a problem.
    4. +40 to each ring

Enchanting - Cons
    -----------------
    1. From a strictly selfish point of view, there is nothing special for enchanting. No cheap enchants for yourself, no gimicks, not BOP/BOE's. Nothing. Sure you have the ring enchants but every other profession has something similar.

Engineering - Pros
    ------------------
    1. Helm - don't need to say much more. I love it because it's flexible. Hit capped, add a mastery cog, etc.
    2. Jeeves - I love having him available.
    3. Gadgets are cool. I have yet to make a lot of them. I am still getting my head around the mats.
    4. +420 on gloves with an on use is for me better than the passive +80 from the rings. I get to chose when I use it.

Engineering - Cons
    ------------------
    1. Nothing yet. It only cost me 8k to level from 1 to 525 which is cheaper than it cost me to level my enchanting from 450 to 525 so I can't say it's expensive. Chaos orbs are a bit tough to get as I always seem to be rolling again 3 or 4 people and there is only 1 per instance.

On the whole I am very happy. I think bliz need to be very careful. I am sure a lot of enchanters have changed profession to engineering. Only about 40% of my HC's have the DE option so that means that less than 1 in 10 people have enchanting and there are only 8 crafting professions.

If anything, I would roll inscription on an alt if I had to switch back to enchanting in the future. I definitely wouldn't give up engineering now.
    ^this

I can't imagine any prof being worse than enchanting at the moment, so if you have the gold to level up engineering, do it!

Engineering has no good money-maker

I just recently went from Tailoring/Enchanting to Tailoring/Engineering, mainly for the epic goggles. And although I love my headgear and some of the cool gadgets I can make, I'm very bummed about the lack of money-making recipes available to engineers. The most lucrative recipe right now is the Gnome/Goblin recipe pets, at ~400g, but their prices are falling rapidly. I used to make a ton of gold selling enchants, so I'm missing that income. IMO, Blizzard needs to remove the engineering requirement from some of these cool tinkers, gadgets, or mounts, so non-engineers could purchase them. OR... if our repair bots could charge a discounted repair fee, but all the proceeds would go to the engineer that created it. Camp outside an instance, drop a Jeeves, profit.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Engineering > enchanting period. Enchanting use to be worth it becase you got rich quick at the beginning of expansions. You also got to DE soulbound items. Now when you run a dungeon any schmuck can take your service as their benefit. At least in the past if someone won the roll for a soulbound item... They could not take it and dilute the benefit of your profession.

Engineering for almost all classes is top 3. You get neat gadgets and if you are a truly great player you can manipulate the engineering gizmos for more than they are worth to 95% of the wow population.

Enjoy!

Aside from the glove tinker there isn't much use for engineering in PvE. All the belt tinkers have catastrophic failures built in that could cause a wipe or at a minimum get you killed. BUT...the glove tinker is amazing for basically every class. When combined with dynamic haste effects it definitely pulls ahead of the other professions. The parachute can still sometimes come in handy in PvE.

You do get instant access to your bank, your mailbox, and repairs which is very nice. When the rocket boosts do work instead of shooting you straight into the air it's pretty cool. Overall I enjoyed Engineering. Goggles are a nice benefit, but unless they give an upgrade in tier 12 they are only worthwhile until 4.2 comes out.

It's a very fun profession, and has many uses, but what it is NOT is a money-maker, unless you pair it WITH enchanting to DE the epic helms (before they fix it).

Take engi for the gadgets and the fun, never for the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by tibben View Post
    Aside from the glove tinker there isn't much use for engineering in PvE.
    That isn't entirely true, Big Daddy is a dps increase if you drop them on CD (1mCD), and they our off the GCD, the only down side is they our higher then giraffe pussy. (price)

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Engineering is also an excellent way to make gold. Most people think it doesn't or it never makes gold but to be honest I've made thousands of thousands of gold purely from engineering, and it's not always from selling pets, though that is a good portion of it. Check out this article for further reading/tips to make gold with engineering. Cataclysm Engineering Gold Guide