Poll: Is Summer Glau the new Ted McGinley

15+ Year Old Account

[Other] Is Summer Glau the new Ted McGinley?

Is Summer Glau set to replace Ted McGinley as the ultimate TV show killer? The Cape has been pulled and the last episode will only be aired online. This makes four shows she has been tied to that have died.

Well atleast she's haaawt.

Who?

10chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Thye pulled The Cape? DAMN! I really liked that show...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fooliecoolie View Post
    Is Summer Glau set to replace Ted McGinley as the ultimate TV show killer? The Cape has been pulled and the last episode will only be aired online. This makes four shows she has been tied to that have died.
    don´t ever say anything bad about ted mcginley again, he was the reason why i kept watching married with children ;>

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanna see more Summer Glau <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, Summer is awesome. The Cape was pretty lame though. I stopped watching it after the third episode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotai View Post
    I wanna see more Summer Glau <3
    Just don't expect to see her for long since all of her shows get pulled pretty quick.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm upset they pulled the Cape but honestly it has nothing to do with Summer. The plot hasn't really shown a strong directive toward a goal. Don't misunderstand me, the episodes released are good episodes, but they would have been better filler episodes within a more focused plot. Monster of the week doesn't really fit for this type of show.

Also, Firefly being cancelled was purely the fault of Fox(imagine that). They decided to air the show out of the actual order, so nobody had a clue about the characters.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    I'm upset they pulled the Cape but honestly it has nothing to do with Summer. The plot hasn't really shown a strong directive toward a goal. Don't misunderstand me, the episodes released are good episodes, but they would have been better filler episodes within a more focused plot. Monster of the week doesn't really fit for this type of show.

Also, Firefly being cancelled was purely the fault of Fox(imagine that). They decided to air the show out of the actual order, so nobody had a clue about the characters.
    I am not saying she was the reason that the The Cape, Firefly, T:TSCC, The 4400 and Dollhouse were pulled. I am saying that like Ted McGinley, she has the unfortunate luck being on doomed shows. This appears only to happen when the character is recurring since Chuck, My Big Bang Theory and CSI are all still on the air.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that Ted McGinley is a TV show killer. It looks like the only show that's he's been in that was a certified flop was "Sports Night". Even "Hope & Faith" went on for 58 episodes. What are you basing your assumption on?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamz247 View Post
    I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that Ted McGinley is a TV show killer. It looks like the only show that's he's been in that was a certified flop was "Sports Night". Even "Hope & Faith" went on for 58 episodes. What are you basing your assumption on?
    Not to mention he was on Married with children for 158 episodes, that's something like 60% of the total episodes and he didn't even show up until season 5.

Also, 4400 went 4 seasons which is by no means a flop. While T:TSCC and Dollhouse both only ran for a season and a half, that isn't a major success but not a 3 episode flop. And I understand you weren't blaming Summer for the cancellation, but honestly I don't see her ever not getting another lead role in a series because of the "failed" series in her past. She is a good actress, is very beautiful, and I have enjoyed the variety of characters she has played. From somewhat schizophrenic River Tam, vengeful but nerdy Bennett, to cold calculated(traces of feelings) Cameron, to the tech savvy freedom fighter Orwell. All varied, an uniquely entertaining characters.
    Last edited by Gracin; 2011-03-04 at 05:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    First, Ted McGinley was awesome on Married with Children, and they had a good run after he joined the cast.

Second: Summer Glau isn't a show killer. But she's had some seriously bad luck with shows. Frankly, half the people who even bothered to watch 5 minutes of the Cape did so only because she was in it. Just give her a good show and stick to it. Firefly was awesome. Not her fault. ditto the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Maybe she should stop working for Fox.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    First, Ted McGinley was awesome on Married with Children, and they had a good run after he joined the cast.

Second: Summer Glau isn't a show killer. But she's had some seriously bad luck with shows. Frankly, half the people who even bothered to watch 5 minutes of the Cape did so only because she was in it. Just give her a good show and stick to it. Firefly was awesome. Not her fault. ditto the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Maybe she should stop working for Fox.
    Well true , wtb moar shows with her , Sarah Connor chronicles was awesome , so was the Firefly

15+ Year Old Account
    You need to look at the beginning of his career as he was hired to boost flagging ratings on three of ABC's flagship shows back in the 80's(Happy Days, The Love Boat, Dynasty). This is a title he jokes about it, he is also call the "Patron Saint of Jumping the Shark". In fact in both "Married... with Children" and "Hope and Faith" make fun of his career. Married ...with Children, he breaks the fourth wall while talking to Al by calling him Captain then fonzie before calling him Al.
    Last edited by Fooliecoolie; 2011-03-05 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Incorrect data

Deleted
    It's ok Summer, I'll give you a home if you can't get any work <3

Honestly The Cape is a laughable attempt at a comic book show. However its not Summer's nor any of the actors faults really. The actual acting in the show was rather well done (I especially like "slow slipping into insanity" Summer from the last 2 episodes.) If you want to actually blame someone for its failure you have to look beyond the screen and into the credits.

If I had to pick an overwhelming reason why The Cape is a flop I'd have to blame the writers. The story arcs are overly predictable, as are the "bad guy of the week" characters. Only some of the recurring characters have any depth to them, and its not even the antagonist or protagonist of the show. The dialogue is trite at best and the overall tone of most scenes feels more like a short news blurb than an compelling story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Fooliecoolie View Post
    You need to look at the beginning of his career as he was hired to boost flagging ratings on three of ABC's flagship shows back in the 80's(Happy Days, The Love Boat, Dynasty). This is a title he jokes about it, he is also call the "Patron Saint of Jumping the Shark". In fact in both "Married... with Children" and "Hope and Faith" make fun of his career. Married ...with Children, he breaks the fourth wall while talking to Al by calling him Captain then fonzie before calling him Al. One of the episode of Hope and Faith was called "Ted McGinley is not the Killer"
    Yeah, I saw that he was on "Happy Days" for its last 4 years, "The Love Boat" for its last 4 years and "Dynasty" for 2 years, but left 2 years before that show ended. I guess they just left the shows that weren't doing so well on TV longer back then? Anyway I think "Married... With Children" kinda redeemed him.

Also, the fourth wall is when a character speaks directly to the audience, like Zack Morris in "Saved By the Bell", not when writers put references from the real world into the script.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I saw that he was on "Happy Days" for its last 4 years, "The Love Boat" for its last 4 years and "Dynasty" for 2 years, but left 2 years before that show ended. I guess they just left the shows that weren't doing so well on TV longer back then? Anyway I think "Married... With Children" kinda redeemed him.

Also, the fourth wall is when a character speaks directly to the audience, like Zack Morris in "Saved By the Bell", not when writers put references from the real world into the script.
    Yeah I found the episode, it wasn't a fourth wall but it was one of several jokes made about Ted's previous roles.