Poll: What do YOU think is the proper way to play disc?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

How do you view the different disc playstyles?

This poll was inspired one of the most arrogent, ignorant, blind guild leaders I have ever met in my wow career.

The basis: How do you view the different disc playstyles.

1) Bubblebotting is teh only realz way 2 play disc lolol nothing else should be on your meters ever.

2) I can use all of my abilities/cooldowns effectivly in a balanced manner and still do just as well as any other healer. Via attonment/archangel/fiend/having haste AND mastery ect.

3) PRAYER OF HEALING SPAM EVERYTHING!!!

4) Using your direct heals primarily for a good portion of your healing.

5) Finding unique effective ways to use attonment to heal VS just spamming bubbles and other abilities and just plain using it more often.

_________________________________________________________________________________

After arguging with a guild on their forums about how bubble spam is not as effective as using all of your abilities, I respect the disc guide on this forum 50000000x more now.

Just seeing how arrogent and stupid bubble bots truley are to their class. As well as what blizzard has done to the class from other peoples eyes.

"OMG U R 3k HPS LOWER THEN OUR BUBBLE BOT, THAT MEANS U R SO BAD LOL LOLOLOL"

A short description of what I just argued with a guild leader over for about 5 hours.

Thank you blizzard for putting it in peoples eyes that disc is bubble botting, and anything else is "bad". You did a fine job on making great players who can utilize ALL of their class abilities, look like garbage to the majority.

---------- Post added 2011-03-04 at 12:19 PM ----------

Feel free to discuss your choices here as well, I was hoping for this to turn into a discussion poll as well!
    Last edited by ZippyDoodle; 2011-03-04 at 07:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't play Discipline, so I can't really add to the discussion, but your choices seems just a teeny, tiny bit biased.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I simply am matching the mindset with the style >_>

---------- Post added 2011-03-04 at 01:15 PM ----------

Honestly, the people I have encountered who bubble bot. Actually have that attitude/personality, same for all of the others. Flash heal spammers = spazzes

People who use balance = generally calmer

People who use atonement = have a smart knowledgeable personality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'm pretty balanced tbh. I out-heal pretty much everyone on par with me gear-wise. I use all playstyles depending on the situation. I like atonement because it makes things a bit more dynamic. I pull about 14k hps (with absorbs) in general. I'm glad that disc isn't derpshield anymore. Its actually a respectable spec and when played right, can outheal almost any other class. It rewards skill and good judgement.

I use a balanced play style as well, I actually polled for attonment because as of late I have been finding a lot of different times to use attonment.

Last night i discovered smiting vile swills and bubbling mixture works best on heroic Maloriak dark phase. As well as smiting the adds in green phase for some hot attonment heals.

---------- Post added 2011-03-04 at 01:20 PM ----------

I just hate the bubble botters who go "OMG U DONT HEAL AS MUCH AS U SHOULD, EVEN THOUGH UR ON TOP UR STILL BAD LOL PLAY BETTER LOL!!"

That was the guild leader i got in an argument with. Granted he was a moron, but still.

10+ Year Old Account
    Plus, once you get 5 stack of evangelism, It costs nothing. The addition of holy fire to atonement is gonna make it even more viable.

Sounds like the guild and GM you were arguing with really aren't keeping up to date with the changes to our spec.

As many Discs have pointed out (all of whom are far better priests than me), our entire spec is based upon PW:S. And while I'm not a fan of bubblebot, I'm really not a fan of the current 4.0.6 incarnation of PW:S. It makes no sense to have a spec based around a spell that is, in Blizzard's eyes, to be used as a cooldown. (As an aside, it seems like I was having greater success with the 4.0.1 setup because at least we'd be free to use the spell).

I honestly do not believe that an equally skilled Disc and put out the same amount of healing as a Paladin/Holy - the decks just are not stacked equally such that the Disc has to have better timing and skill in order to match or better the healing of other classes. But then again, I'm pretty bad, so what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by totalfailure View Post
    Sounds like the guild and GM you were arguing with really aren't keeping up to date with the changes to our spec.

As many Discs have pointed out (all of whom are far better priests than me), our entire spec is based upon PW:S. And while I'm not a fan of bubblebot, I'm really not a fan of the current 4.0.6 incarnation of PW:S. It makes no sense to have a spec based around a spell that is, in Blizzard's eyes, to be used as a cooldown. (As an aside, it seems like I was having greater success with the 4.0.1 setup because at least we'd be free to use the spell).

I honestly do not believe that an equally skilled Disc and put out the same amount of healing as a Paladin/Holy - the decks just are not stacked equally such that the Disc has to have better timing and skill in order to match or better the healing of other classes. But then again, I'm pretty bad, so what do I know.
    BUT HE HAD A DISC PRIEST ALT!! THAT MEANS HE KNOWS STUFF RIGHT? >_>

The holy fire change, will prove interesting if blizzard does it correctly. If they make the dot portion of it heal, that would help disc a lot in terms of raw healing vs absorbing. I think it's a step in the right direction for blizz, just hopefully they don't screw it up =/

Our disc priest wants to do all those things you talk about. Then I tell him to shut up and bubble people and feed him Boomkin innervates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZippyDoodle View Post
    I simply am matching the mindset with the style >_>

---------- Post added 2011-03-04 at 01:15 PM ----------

Honestly, the people I have encountered who bubble bot. Actually have that attitude/personality, same for all of the others. Flash heal spammers = spazzes

People who use balance = generally calmer

People who use atonement = have a smart knowledgeable personality.
    I'm not a very calm person, but am rather knowledgeable. However, I prefer to use a balanced healing style over atonement. Making blanket generalizations just makes you look foolish to be honest.

Bubble-botting was effective only a few weeks ago, so saying anyone who uses it is a spaz is a bit harsh. If you played a certain way an entire xpac, it takes a little while to adjust to not using PW:S as your key spell, especially when your spec is so heavily built around it.

Also, Prayer of Healing spam is fairly effective. It's a pretty mana efficient spell for one that gives you a heal, a hot, and a shield that can stack if you recast before it falls off. Keeping a DA shield on everyone you can is a pretty effective way to raid heal, granted you are using Penance and whatnot to build grace. Say what you want, but NO ONE uses just one spell.

As far as flash heal/greater heal spam goes; I don't know how you could count this as a disc play-style. Call me crazy, but in later gear levels, this may be how you see HOLY priests tank healing. If you're talking about disc, when coupled with a shield, this may be the only way to keep your tank alive during some phases.

As far as atonement goes, I don't know if it's really -that- great at all in its current state. Maybe it'll be a little better when they add Holy Fire into the mix, but for now, most rDPS just aren't close enough to get the effect. It's fun as hell, don't get me wrong, but it just isn't the best way to go IMO.

If you're going to make a poll in the future, at least be mature about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    We removed the Fun Stuff forum, all the Fun in the MMO-Champion forums will now be taking place in my pants.

Xenophics <Famous> - Scarlet Crusade (US)

The attonemnt poll is geared more towards people A) who don't spec into it because they think its terrible B) just seeing who thinks it could be used more then most people think.

i am not making blanket generalizations, just what I have seen thus far and trying to get my point across as to the playstyle..

Khal, i think you missed the point of the post. No one is bashing any spec, so you don't really need to defend each playstyle lol
    It is more about what you do the majority of your times in raids, there are quite a few people who see anything other then one playstyle viable, regardless of the fight.

I just wanted to see if anyone else thought the same way as I did after my heated argument with the gm of a guild.
    Last edited by ZippyDoodle; 2011-03-04 at 08:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't need boomkin innervates...and I keep the raid alive....and we down bosses. so.....

Quote Originally Posted by Khallynos View Post
    I'm not a very calm person, but am rather knowledgeable. However, I prefer to use a balanced healing style over atonement. Making blanket generalizations just makes you look foolish to be honest.

Bubble-botting was effective only a few weeks ago, so saying anyone who uses it is a spaz is a bit harsh. If you played a certain way an entire xpac, it takes a little while to adjust to not using PW:S as your key spell, especially when your spec is so heavily built around it.

Also, Prayer of Healing spam is fairly effective. It's a pretty mana efficient spell for one that gives you a heal, a hot, and a shield that can stack if you recast before it falls off. Keeping a DA shield on everyone you can is a pretty effective way to raid heal, granted you are using Penance and whatnot to build grace. Say what you want, but NO ONE uses just one spell.

As far as flash heal/greater heal spam goes; I don't know how you could count this as a disc play-style. Call me crazy, but in later gear levels, this may be how you see HOLY priests tank healing. If you're talking about disc, when coupled with a shield, this may be the only way to keep your tank alive during some phases.

As far as atonement goes, I don't know if it's really -that- great at all in its current state. Maybe it'll be a little better when they add Holy Fire into the mix, but for now, most rDPS just aren't close enough to get the effect. It's fun as hell, don't get me wrong, but it just isn't the best way to go IMO.

If you're going to make a poll in the future, at least be mature about it.

Oh come on, relax. No need to take it as seriously as you are right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    The attonemnt poll is geared more towards people A) who don't spec into it because they think its terrible B) just seeing who thinks it could be used more then most people think.

i am not making blanket generalizations, just what I have seen thus far and trying to get my point across as to the playstyle..

Khal, i think you missed the point of the post. No one is bashing any spec, so you don't really need to defend each playstyle lol
    It is more about what you do the majority of your times in raids, there are quite a few people who see anything other then one playstyle viable, regardless of the fight.

I just wanted to see if anyone else thought the same way as I did after my heated argument with the GM of Refined on area-52. Character name Duesbellum.
    I agree with you. Naming and shaming however isn't allowed on the forums. Might want to edit that out. You can get banned.

Your Poll doesn't really make sense. AA/Atonement is under-rated, but you we be balanced around being able to use most of our spells. With that being said, the disc toolbox is lacking. To make bubble-botting going away completely, we need an instant cast AoE.

I just wanted to see if anyone else thought the same way as I did after my heated argument with the GM of Refined on area-52. Character name Duesbellum.
    This does change the equation a little bit. IIRC, Refined is one of the top guilds on the server and is pushing towards the end of heroic content in this patch. It could be that, at those gear levels, we're talking about an entirely different level a la Tiduz. It may be that bubble spam, as opposed to general rule of 1 bubble per 8 secs, makes more sense. I am just not and never will be at a gear level to test out these high-end strategys to which Blizz, apparently, caters most.

I think the general rule remains for the 90% of Discs, including semi-casuals like me, that PW:S at rate of over 50% of healing is simply a good way to go OOM. Something more is needed, be it atonement, other tools, skill, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lot of overhealing though. Still. It goes to show you that attonement disc is still quite viable.
    Last edited by bajerman; 2011-03-04 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scandore8472 View Post
    Your Poll doesn't really make sense. AA/Atonement is under-rated, but you we be balanced around being able to use most of our spells. With that being said, the disc toolbox is lacking. To make bubble-botting going away completely, we need an instant cast AoE.

Uh, the poll is people picking which style they prefer. I don't see how it doesn't make sense to you.

---------- Post added 2011-03-04 at 02:18 PM ----------

Halfus doesn't really count >.> it's somewhat of a gimik fight for disc at the end.

---------- Post added 2011-03-04 at 02:20 PM ----------

Even at high gear levels, there are multiple playstyles that work for disc. The people who say "Bubble botting is THE only true effective way of healing as disc" are the ones this is somewhat geared towards.