Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I hope your kidding with me. I play mage, priest and druid in PvP and priest is the best class too play by far. Check out Talbadar on US-Tich, hes currently 92-3 as shadow.

92-3 as SP and your calling for buffs. Priests are very good in arena atm with both shadow and disc being very good. This is clearly not a class problem but a L2P issue.

15% across the board damage reduction, signinificant raid healing while doing full DPS, can pop out to heal, an extra Divine Hymn to buff your tranquilities, Mass Dispel, never runs out of mana, We can SPEC for Improved Shields now, why do you need DOT protection for PVE, we can MC mobs (although not in BOT) and are top on the damage meters currently over at state of DPS.

Our only weakness atm is AE, and a relative lack of utility beyond dispels and self heals - we only look bad in this department because Hunters and Ele Shaman are pretty OP in terms of utility, and Locks, Boomkins and Mages are no slouches. We're probably the caster with the least utility. But we still have some - scream is great for Cho'gall, we are good at killing single adds with large health pools or ones that need to go down quickly - Al'Akir p2, Cho'gall, Halfus, - We're also probably the best caster at switching targets because our damage is tied up in a few dots we can cast all over the place and maintain pretty easily. Just look at how much damage you can roll out on Halfus when you're dotting up the boss and the adds. Dispels are good for Maloriak, and MC was so OP in BOT they had to nerf it :P

Tbh, the biggest strength of Shadow is its survivability - we have PW:S, 15% damage reduction and we can spec into more, offspec healing, and strong self-healing even while DPSing. If you think our survivability is low you need to have your head examined or stop standing in fire.

As for PVP - we give up the strong CC of the Warlock for more survivability and self healing. And the ability to remove Iceblock and Pally bubble. My Druid healer loves to Innervate me too because when she does people die.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    15% across the board damage reduction, signinificant raid healing while doing full DPS, can pop out to heal, an extra Divine Hymn to buff your tranquilities, Mass Dispel, never runs out of mana, We can SPEC for Improved Shields now, why do you need DOT protection for PVE, we can MC mobs (although not in BOT) and are top on the damage meters currently over at state of DPS.

Our only weakness atm is AE, and a relative lack of utility beyond dispels and self heals - we only look bad in this department because Hunters and Ele Shaman are pretty OP in terms of utility, and Locks, Boomkins and Mages are no slouches. We're probably the caster with the least utility. But we still have some - scream is great for Cho'gall, we are good at killing single adds with large health pools or ones that need to go down quickly - Al'Akir p2, Cho'gall, Halfus, - We're also probably the best caster at switching targets because our damage is tied up in a few dots we can cast all over the place and maintain pretty easily. Just look at how much damage you can roll out on Halfus when you're dotting up the boss and the adds. Dispels are good for Maloriak, and MC was so OP in BOT they had to nerf it :P

Tbh, the biggest strength of Shadow is its survivability - we have PW:S, 15% damage reduction and we can spec into more, offspec healing, and strong self-healing even while DPSing. If you think our survivability is low you need to have your head examined or stop standing in fire.

As for PVP - we give up the strong CC of the Warlock for more survivability and self healing. And the ability to remove Iceblock and Pally bubble. My Druid healer loves to Innervate me too because when she does people die.
    I think you're in the wrong thread m8

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Personally I bring a shadow priests because I like the guy that plays it.
    No. 1

Situational usefulness for MC in arenas. In blade's edge, MC the other players one by one off the bridge so they have to spend extra time running back up.

Lots of little things like that that you can take advantage of.

There's a shadow priest on my server that occasionally spams trade to duel for 1000g. As a priest myself I have gone to watch a few times, and he's around 10-0 when I've been there.

Another all classes should be the same QQ thread

why

why take a boomkin over a spriest, why take an elemental over a spries.

why? answer that

15+ Year Old Account
    The amt of QQ over the loss of dispel amazes me. One spell doesn't make a player good or bad. Shadowpriests are fine in both pve and pvp.

WarcraftPriests.com - The Shadowlands Priest Community Website

Join over 100,000 Priests on our partnered Discord server: Warcraft Priests

I play an Spriest as my pvp main and have no complaints. If you learn to use your CC, silence, and interupt effectively along with dispersion you can kill any class including healers. Though i admit a well played holy pally or resto druid can be annoying.
    Subpariah, Subreign, Substrate, Subjugation, Subdemise, Balaal Zul'Jin

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people like the gameplay style and the class?

For arena, you can't make blanket statements about a single class because arena's not about one person. It's about a composition of 2+ people playing whatever class combination works best for them. The people who are at the top know that you have to balance class strengths & weaknesses with each other to make an effective team.

Priests are highly flexible and that is part of their strength. You seem to want to point fingers at what you don't have that mages & warlocks have... but then discount all the tools you DO have. Sure, your abilities aren't going to roflstomp everybody you come across with little to no skill required from you. Suck it up.

At the end of the day, you can either point out flaws in your class design in a constructive way (i.e. not "wah wah mages have it good ") and hope things get changed, or reroll. If you want to be a frost mage, go be a frost mage. Nobody's stopping you.

Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    Shadows actually a really good compliment class. Strong instant cast CC, Strongest offensive, and defensive dispels. Mass Dispel. Mobility between 4 piece and fade (when used together) is actually pretty good. Fairly strong burst if you can manage to not get spam dispelled.
    As already mentioned, defensive dispel (for others than the Spriest himself, that is) are going. Mass Dispel will either cost you a major glyph spot or a painfully long cast time, not forgetting the mana cost. Don't get me wrong, MD is definately useful - it's just not feasible to be casting MD more than 1-2 times per match, both from cast time and mana cost perspective, and of course the fact that you're likely causing 0 damage while you're casting it. Why? Because your DoTs have likely been dispelled already.

As for the mobility, may I point out that the 4 piece is purely if using 4 piece mooncloth? You know Satin gear didn't get it, yes? Not saying one can't run 4 piece mooncloth, but I was unfortunately dumb enough to have aquired my 4 piece satin just the day before they hinted at the PW: S snare suppression. Can't say I was too happy about that :/

As for the fairly strong burst, no disagreement there, but that burst only comes if:

1: You manage to get VT, DP and SW: P up on a target (with empowered shadows proc'ed for the additional DoT damage)
    2: Somehow during the itme of casting those 3 spells are not interfered with in any way
    3: MF for 3 orbs *without* the target moving, dispelling, getting heals, or preferrably being at the keyboard
    4: pop DA + trinket, and then mind blast with 3xorbs.

Then yeah, we can create nice pressure.

That is, assuming you meant pressure with DoTs up. In reality, that's rarely how it goes.

Brief kick in about healing; it's my impression that generally, caster hybrids have horrible healing when in DPS specs, which is reasonable, but can we please stop throwing the "LOLUCANHEAL" card, if a Spriest pops out of form to throw any more than a single flash heal/PoM (both of which will heal for pathetically little, btw), his/her side is losing. The Spriest will OOM inside 20 seconds, will be providing 0 pressure, will be the biggest still-standing bullseye for the enemy. Frankly, if I were to see a Spriest enemy in arena shifting out to heal? I'd let him, the mana<->healing ratio is laughable, I'd just wait 15 seconds, laugh as their mana runs out, and then continue killing whatever they were trying to heal.

It's more a case of flaying a few times to have shadow orbs (and seeing we can't really afford to stack mastery, that's kind of a crap shoot), hoping that the target decides to leave his computer, and that his partner(s) magically can't see the Spriest freecasting, and then turreting mind spikes with DA up into instant blast and praying this somehow brings the target down to SW: D range (hint: it won't), to attempting a double-tap SW: D.
    *That* will be damaging, but it's kind of reliant on either your teammate(s) setting the entire kill up for you, for the opponents to do pretty much _nothing_, and that when the time comes for this, you still have enough mana left to actually fire that combo off.

Long rant aside, Spriests have definately been in worse places than we are now. The impending loss of friendly dispelling will hurt, sure, but from a balancing point of view I can't say having a double magic dispel in one was balanced compared to everyone else. On the flip side, losing that rather iconic ability, I'm hoping perhaps some help in other areas will come: mobility that doesn't rely on using the healing PvP set as a spriest, some form of mana regeneration that doesn't also double as either our only OHSHI- tool (Dispersion), DPS cooldown (DA) or a now not-dispellable pet (seeing a snared/feared Sfiend just makes me teary...) or an 8 minute channeled cooldown. Don't get me wrong, we have plenty of tools, the problem is just that you can't really use them for other than either DPS (DA, SF) or to try prevent dying (Disp) withut then becoming a bigger liability to your team.

Seriously, if a Spriest goes low on mana and 'sperses for mana, who do you *think* will be the obvious kill target?

Anyways. Spriests are good in several ways, we're just frighteningly reliant on our teammates to peel, control, heal and provide us mana. With the right teammates (that don't mind doing all the defensive peeling and offensive CC), Spriests are disgustingly dangerous (for about 90 seconds of casting). Without, they're walking happy meals in a very hungry world.

---------- Post added 2011-03-08 at 05:30 AM ----------

*30 secs later edit*
    Sorry about that wall of text. I guess I got a bit enthusiastic.

OP: Just one thing - please remove the "insane burst" line about frost mages, though. 5K frostbolts and 18K shattercombo's are *not* significant burst.

Because the Shadow Priest is a good player, the class in general gets its job done, and because the Shadow Priest doesn't want to play a Mage, Warlock or any other caster?

Quote Originally Posted by Ananan View Post
    Your view is very skewed I'm afraid. In the survivability category you counted "mage shields" but not Power Word: Shield, Evocation but not Flash Heal or Divine Hymn, "dispel from pet", but not Dispel Magic, "heal from dots" but not Vampiric Embrace, Soul Link but not Shadowform or Inner Fire...

If you think that something can be gained from sorting abilities from different classes into categories for the millionth time, please do it properly. I'm sorry, but this is hardly the first time a post like yours pops up, and they all tend to be very, very skewed.
    This is so true it's sad. :\
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebuub View Post
    Im just wondering why people should take shadow priest over other caster classes.
    Fade + 4p pvp set = a 4 sec freedom and a full slow clear every 15 seconds + 10% run speed = BEST mobility of any caster, plus we can cast nearly all of our spells on the move, AND proc shadow apps constantly on the move.

We can do great sustained dot damage OR burst with MS/MB when we're being cleansed.

The best execute in the game.

15% damage reduction and a 90% reduction with just over a 1 min cd.

Priest utility - Hymns, bubbles, mass dispell, offensive dispells, *LIFE GRIP* (wins matches), unique buffs, fear ward, PoM/renew/heals.

Silence, disarm, and fear. (NO other caster has all 3)

TL;DR - if you can't completely *roflpwn* EVERYTHING THAT BREATHES in pvp then you need to L2P.

Fade + 4p pvp set = a 4 sec freedom and a full slow clear every 15 seconds + 10% run speed = BEST mobility of any caster, plus we can cast nearly all of our spells on the move, AND proc shadow apps constantly on the move.

We can do great sustained dot damage OR burst with MS/MB when we're being cleansed.

15% damage reduction and a 90% reduction with just over a 1 min cd.

Priest utility - Hymns, bubbles, mass dispell, offensive dispells, *LIFE GRIP* (wins matches), unique buffs, fear ward, PoM/renew/heals.

Silence, disarm, and fear. (NO other caster has all 3)

TL;DR - if you can't completely *roflpwn* EVERYTHING THAT BREATHES in pvp then you need to L2P.
    I think "best caster mobility" is stretching it in a world with Frost Mages. But it is still pretty good :P

Im just wondering why people should take shadow priest over other caster classes. Let´s compare to others (in a view of arenas):
    Mage:
    Mobility - greatest mobility from all casters, maybe from all classes
    Survivability - shields, blinks, 2 ice blocks, evocation
    Dmg - insane burst, u all know it
    CC - increadible spamming cc, polymorfs, counterspell, frost novas, deep freezes, circle, bla bla bla ...
    Mana efficiency - never saw mage who got oom in arena ...
    well ive played with mage, as healer, the mage went compleetly oom twice... but thats rare :P

Spriests rock arena! But mana in a BG is annoying. I have to carry so much water lol

u wear mail
    Inner Fire gives you as much armor as a mail wearer...

---------- Post added 2011-03-08 at 02:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smashzu View Post
    I have to disagree with this mainly because our execute is tied to a key mana regen mechanic. So you can either risk going oom by saving it for execute, or risk not being able to execute in order to keep your mana up.

---------- Post added 2011-03-08 at 02:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cinis View Post
    It's more a case of flaying a few times to have shadow orbs (and seeing we can't really afford to stack mastery, that's kind of a crap shoot),
    Mastery does not increase the chance to proc orbs... Orbs are a crap shoot whether you stack mastery or not. Just more of a crap shoot if you don't have the Harnessed Shadows talent (which you should probably take at least 1/2 of just to gain shadow orbs when you get crit).

This thread's starting to smell like trollbait.
    First order of business:

Thread Closed --Kel

Oh yes. I'm back.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~