Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    i actually have a definition for what a sport is,

A sport is an athletic activity in which winning requires that you make your opponent(s) lose.
    See:

Car racing is just driving around the same track 127 times while- lets face it - you might be working hard, but ultimately the car is doing most of the grunt work.

Quote Originally Posted by XenuMC View Post
    Swimming. It's not a sport, it's a way to keep from drowning.
    Running. It's not a sport, it's a way to keep from being eaten/shanked/mobbed/impaled/standing-in-fire/crit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei_Sin View Post
    I feel that Boxing shouldn't be a sport.
    boxing is rated as one of the most, or the most physically demanding sport in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Avar ize View Post
    beating the shit out of eachother is somthing men like to do(and always has done), just like driving cars, so why not make a sport out of it
    I guess but then again they could make beer can smashing, with your forehead of course, a sport.

As long as it isn't fake, it is more of a sport than almost anything else.
    I can't see the upside of boxing. The winner looks like a hamburger and has mental issues within a few years and the loser will look like roadkill and have mental issues within a few years. It's too much self destructing, in my opinion, to be considered a sport, let alone an olympic sport.

Fun fact is that Karate isn't an olympic sport because "it's too violent". Meh.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    So to put it in a single sentence:

A personal and physical activity which requires which involves constant interaction with either other players or the sport itself (e.g) dancing

And not a sport;

Anything involving animals / vehicles or non-constant interaction.
    Examples are bowling, golfing, motorcycling, horse-back riding.

Those are mere finesses of the art of handling such things. Equivalent to "who has the neatest hand-writing" because similar to the person best in golf, that other person is best in writing e.g making the most out of a tool.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't find a waste of talent such as keyboard seizures to be a sport.
    IMO
    Survival is Key

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tussee View Post
    Women sports
    So many sports that woman either play better or at least look better doing it. Much rather watch women's tennis, volleyball, golf, field hockey, gymnastics, etc...
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by nonamekiller View Post
    The only difference between the WNBA and the NBA are the athletes that play it. One has a league only for male athletes, and the other one is for women only. They still play the same sport.

Nope not the same sport. Its a bunch of terrible unattractive people trying to do something they shouldnt be doing. Don Imus had it right when he described women's basketball. When they learn to posterize people with crazy dunks, reject shots 7 rows up in the empty stands, talk smack, and actually play with some form then they might get some respect. Oh and stop looking like the geico caveman's sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    So many sports that woman either play better or at least look better doing it. Much rather watch women's tennis, volleyball, golf, field hockey, gymnastics, etc...
    Because women who play those sports tend to be attractive for the most part. Try watching women's basketball. It looks like they all fought each other with an ugly stick and lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    When I wanna watch a sport I wanna see the best.

You mention Tennis. There is a huge difference in women and Mens tennis.
    There is a lot more action in mens tennis, the game is much faster, they hit harder.

I'd bet that if you put world#1 female tennis player up against world #500 Male player, the male would still win the game.
    Tarren Mill, EU
    Tussee Level 110
    Ygtitte Level 110, Daènerys Level 110, Hotlava Level 110,
    Palefoot Level 110, Elemulius Level 110, Tussedk Level 110,
    Thuesen Level 110, Briènne Level 110, Tussebank level 110
    Tipoldefar Level 110, Gnarfy Level 110

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilicia30 View Post
    Nope not the same sport. Its a bunch of terrible unattractive people trying to do something they shouldnt be doing. Don Imus had it right when he described women's basketball. When they learn to posterize people with crazy dunks, reject shots 7 rows up in the empty stands, talk smack, and actually play with some form then they might get some respect. Oh and stop looking like the geico caveman's sister.
    At the end of the day, they are both playing the same thing.... basketball, it's just that there are different people in a different league, and one league the athletes that are playing it might not be as athletic as the other league

Quote Originally Posted by Lilicia30 View Post
    I'm pretty sure your recollection of what he said is inaccurate. As I recall, he was specifically referring to the University of Maryland women's basketball team. While what he said was highly controversial it wasn't far from the truth. The women on that team were pretty "thug"-like.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks have absolutely nothing to do with sports. Judging woman's sports based off the players appearance is sexist and ignorant. Hate to say it but I can almost guarantee the WORST WNBA player can still beat you. Yes I do agree however that for Basketball in this instance the Men do have an extremely higher skillset.
    Survival is Key

I count speed walking and ping pong as sports that shit looks well tiring.

Any form of synchronised swimming/ballet/dance = ART not sport imo.
    Kolopotho: I will find it incredibly shocking and rare if some guy walks up to a girl in a pub and says "i play a level 80 druid in world of warcraft" to which she will respond with "TAKE ME NOW".

So the only sports that should exist are sports that require immense strength or endurance?
    If that's the case, why not just cut out all the bull shit and put two guys against eachother in a weightlifting competition or running competition?

Sports are games of STRATEGY and TEAMWORK and SKILL as well as testing physical limits. Some depend on one aspect more than others but just because they lack one element doesn't make them any less of a sport.

You do know there are categories, right?

Demonstration Sports:
    These are sports you'd usually see at the Olympics or things that are based on judging panels.

Extreme Sports:
    Skateboarding, BMXing, etc.

Team Sports:
    Football, Basketball, Baseball, etc.

The point is, if you are only saying that something is a sport based on how much physical effort is put into it, then there should only be 1 sport.
    "Lifting heavy shit and then going for a run."

Quote Originally Posted by XenuMC View Post
    Swimming. It's not a sport, it's a way to keep from drowning.
    Dude, you have no idea how much effort goes into being a competitive swimmer. I'd honestly wager that Olympic swimmers put more time and energy into training than any other sport.

OT: Snooker.

Also, motorsports = motorsports =! a sport. People who participate in motorsports do not call them a sport. I don't know why people keep bringing up motorsports.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrupted View Post
    I count speed walking and ping pong as sports that shit looks well tiring.

Any form of synchronised swimming/ballet/dance = ART not sport imo.
    And what's your reasoning behind that? Swimming demands a very fit athlete and requires a lot of physical activity.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doifer View Post
    "Lifting heavy shit and then going for a run."
    What about going for a heavy shit while running?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Quote Originally Posted by Purgex View Post
    Fake events (WWE, MMA claims to be real) are entertainment. Activities judged by someone else (some forms of martial arts, Synchronized swimming, dance) can't ever be considered 'real' sports.
    WWE is a fake martial art, though I laugh at your assertion that MMA is somehow fake. MMA is simply the amalgamation of different martial art styles that have proven to be effective over their counterparts. Examples of effective styles typically utilized in MMA events include Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, and Wrestling.

I'd like to see you tell someone that trains in these particular styles that their martial art is fake...at the very least, you would be laughed at. The whole point of MMA events from the early 90's was to prove which martial arts were the most effective and to filter out/identify the less effective styles.

I'm not sure why you think MMA events can't be scored, either...that doesn't even make sense.