Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Anything that you can do when you are not in shape is not a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermmes View Post
    The american thingie with the Egg ball..that should be banned.
    Those dudes play for 15 seconds every 30 seconds though!

10+ Year Old Account
    We had this discussion in the changing rooms at school the other day, actually.

Under the current definition of sport, "extreme wanking" could be considered a sport with such events like Endurance and Aim.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    We had this discussion in the changing rooms at school the other day, actually.

Under the current definition of sport, "extreme wanking" could be considered a sport with such events like Endurance and Aim.
    Its a competition you always win though, therefore cannot be a sport - as even when you lose you win.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
    e-sport arenas.

Yes, i went there
    Mental competition requiring massive synergy, and I think curling can be justified as a sport, deals with precision and point scoring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tussee View Post
    Women sports

World Champion - Ye right. there is at least 500 Men or male teams who can beat you.
    Why people would watch female sports is very weird
    They no can dunk but good fundamentals.

OT: Anything that requires any type of skill is a sport. Period. football, tenis, golf, motocross, rally racing, bmxing, skateboarding, figure skating, and yes even e-sports.

"They require some sort of skill that they develop through years of practice that makes them better than the vast majority of people in that area of skill." - Should be the definition of a sport right there, however more eloquently put, my command of the English language ain't so gud.

I thought of three that fall under that definition (IMO): poker, rock/scissors/paper and eating.

---------- Post added 2011-03-11 at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ponchu View Post
    Its a competition you always win though, therefore cannot be a sport - as even when you lose you win.
    Like the times were it feels meh but you still accomplish what you came to do???

---------- Post added 2011-03-11 at 08:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Purgex View Post
    I have done each sport. Baseball is not a sport. Bowling and golf are activities.
    "I skateboarded in front of my house with my brother when I was 8 trying to do and ollie for a half an hour, therefore it is not a sport" - That's you, that's what you sound like.
    Last edited by deathtakes; 2011-03-11 at 08:34 AM.

Sitting on a horse

(American) Football. And Boxing, for that matter, for much the same reasons. Although it's not as popular anymore.

Not because it doesn't fall under the definition of a sport, but because the things that they're finding as they pick around dead life-time football players brains. The complete and utter lack of safety is disgusting, starting in Pee Wee Leagues with children with still developing brains. At the very least it should be banned as an organized competitive sport for children under the age of 18. You can argue that adults make their decisions, but the effects start even as children. Just a few months ago some 19 year old kid who had played football his entire life killed himself and they already found signs of CTE(chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain disease caused by multiple, regular concussions) in his brain.

A sport is a physical competition. It doesn't matter how demanding it is. Most sports that aren't demanding are usually skill sports. Things like Golf, that require incredible focus and careful movements. It doesn't take much for Kobe to dunk on someone, it is more of a physical thing than careful acute skill.

Things that aren't sports are things that involve another object doing most of the work. Things like racing. Cycling is still a sport because the person is making supplying the energy to make the bike move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolzar View Post
    A sport is a physical competition. It doesn't matter how demanding it is. Most sports that aren't demanding are usually skill sports. Things like Golf, that require incredible focus and careful movements. It doesn't take much for Kobe to dunk on someone, it is more of a physical thing than careful acute skill.

Things that aren't sports are things that involve another object doing most of the work. Things like racing. Cycling is still a sport because the person is making supplying the energy to make the bike move.
    Source on that absolute definition?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wii sports...

10+ Year Old Account
    Darts? I mean a bunch a fat guys throwing things at a wall is just stupid that its named as a sport...

When I think sport I think athletic people kicking or throwing a ball.

Golf is half n half with me.
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxxi View Post
    You do realise how much effort is required to race Nascar right? I'm British, never been to a Nascar race in my life... but seriously those things weigh close to 2 tonnes, topping 200mph and staying inches, perfectly behind your opponents to draft requires some serious skill and physical strength.
    I can't stand Nascar yet I agree with you. It may not be as physically demanding as other motor sports (read:F1) but it's still to the point where no average Joe could go on the track and do what they do. Anyone who claims any motor sport isn't physically demanding has no clue what they're talking about and aren't aware of the physical requirements simply to keep a car stable while driving at over 150 mph for an hour or more.

It's also funny how people write off sports that can appear to be simple yet they take quite a bit of skill to accomplish well. Golf and curling especially when I'm sure the majority of people here have no clue how difficult curling actually is to play well.
    Last edited by sicness; 2011-03-11 at 03:15 PM.

Deleted
    Football, there I said it. But on topic I have to agree on curling and race walking.

Deleted
    Clearly most ppl. dont have a clue on how physic demanding golf really is to play in the big league, the pros spend the same amount of jogging/fitness than they do with hitting the balls ^^. - dart bowling pool however, is just not a sport

Quote Originally Posted by Kosic View Post
    I will admit i've not played much of Poker, but i don't see how you can controll the cards you are given.

They are dealt to you, you don't control any single card in the pack, nor whats on the table. So that is a base of luck right there. The only aspect of that game (if it can be counted as a sport, since you do play it in a competition), that you can control, is the whole bluffing, or controlling the win of the round.

It's a game of wits, it does have skill throughout the game, but as i stated above, it is a luck of the draw at which cards you get, then it's skill on how you use them.

So stating that i don't play the game, doesn't strengthen your point.

You should of linked Chris Cole's Ride the Sky part from Fallen Shoes. It's just insane, and shows the true skill of skateboarding.
    As myself i skateboard, and it takes alot of skill to understand and control the physics behind the movement of each trick you performe.
    But then again, we can all say one sport shouldn't be a sport, and someone can then justify why it should be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPjmHeBpcSc&feature=fvst
    Oh, believe me, I would have. But Street League was on ESPN Wednesday night during peak hours. Street League 2 is coming up pretty soon...

'e'-sports should never EVER be considered sports in any way shape or form.

Edit: From other people's definition of sports being 'anything that requires skills' even scientific research and such can be considered sports. So no, that's not what sports are AT ALL.

That said, the most manly sport of all time has to be bear-blasting. Hump-catting comes in a close second.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2011-03-12 at 10:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Darts or whatever it is called. How the hell is that supposed to be a sport rofl? Always amazed me how people would say 'I am going to sport' when they were actually going to throw some dumb arrows at a board.

Clay target shooting

Archery

Car racing (any kind)

Netball (to an extent), as soon as you have the ball you don't have to move anymore

Golf

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    I can't stand Nascar yet I agree with you. It may not be as physically demanding as other motor sports (read:F1) but it's still to the point where no average Joe could go on the track and do what they do. Anyone who claims any motor sport isn't physically demanding has no clue what they're talking about and aren't aware of the physical requirements simply to keep a car stable while driving at over 150 mph for an hour or more.
    Yep. Racing isn't like driving your mom's car to get groceries, with comfy seats and A/C. Being in a race car is noisy, hot, and bumpy. And if it's an open cockpit car such as an F1 or an IndyCar, there's also dealing with the wind blowing right in your face.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II