Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Piers Anthony, "Xanth" and/or "Adept" series are very good

Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
    Serious? That book is painful at best. If I didn't have to read it I would've put it down long ago.

Read some Terry Pratchett... The Light Fantastic is brilliant.

Otherland - Tad Williams

It's a four part series that's essentially one book. It's a bit more futuristic than fantasy really, but it's about several people who find out about a major corporation who's attempting to build an immortality machine, and is using children somehow to do it. Horrified by this knowledge, they infiltrate the system and discover that it's basically a crazy souped up virtual reality universe online run by the "Gods" of the corporation. Tad Williams does an astounding job creating all of the different worlds and characters, and I simply cannot praise him enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Aneng View Post
    Serious? That book is painful at best. If I didn't have to read it I would've put it down long ago.

Read some Terry Pratchett... The Light Fantastic is brilliant.

The God Delusion isn't a fantasy book...
    Made from:
    50% Win, 50% LOL, 50% Legend... That is 150% mother*(#^$*!!!

Inheritance Series, /thread

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorial View Post
    This series here is bad... REALLY bad.

It started awesome, but now that it's gone above 18 books, its gone utterly RIDICULOUS.
    1. Wizard's First Rule (This is basically where Sword of Truth series begings)
    2. Stone of Tears
    3. Blood of the Fold
    4. Temple of the Winds
    5. Soul of the Fire
    6. Faith of the Fallen
    7. Pillars of Creation
    8. Naked Empire
    9. Chainfire
    10. Phantom
    11. Confessor (And this is where it ends. Basically , 9,10,11 are all in all, the last book)

You could even toss in Debt of Bones, so my question is: Where did you find upwards of 18 books?

Just because _you_ are buying publications of books split in more than one piece, that doesn't make a series bad. Or really bad. Or ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyminxy View Post
    1. Wizard's First Rule (This is basically where Sword of Truth series begings)
    2. Stone of Tears
    3. Blood of the Fold
    4. Temple of the Winds
    5. Soul of the Fire
    6. Faith of the Fallen
    7. Pillars of Creation
    8. Naked Empire
    9. Chainfire
    10. Phantom
    11. Confessor (And this is where it ends. Basically , 9,10,11 are all in all, the last book)

You could even toss in Debt of Bones, so my question is: Where did you find upwards of 18 books?

Just because _you_ are buying publications of books split in more than one piece, that doesn't make a series bad. Or really bad. Or ridiculous.
    I am actually talking about the books I read, wich unfortunatly are the swedish translation

They are named (and i will try to translate as best i can)

1: The seeker
    2: The Wizards first rule
    3: The stone of tears
    4: The journey away from the mudfolk (or mudpeople, but that sounds even stupider)
    5: The palace of the prophets
    6: The cabal of blood? (i actually got no idea how to translate "församling" to english)
    7: The wizards fortress
    8: The revenge of the dreamwalker
    9: The tempel of the winds
    10: The message of the moon
    11: The three sounds? (another word wich i cannot translate "klangerna")
    12: The fires soul
    13: The stolen sword
    14: The faith of the fallen(or the "belief" of the fallen)
    15: The palace in Altur'rang
    16: Hole in the world
    17: The pillar of the creation
    18: The defenseless

and there are more in the works of being translated to swedish, i'm sorry if i caused some confusion, but this is the way i've known the books, and that's how i referenced them.

And its not the number of books that has caused the series to go completely insane, its the fact that he has been solidifying the fact that magic is a fundamental force of nature and then he just makes people who are completely impervius and unaffected to ALL types of magic, wich in this case would be to break the friggin rules of the world.

Example: You have never disputed the fact of gravity existing right?, then what would you think if someone stepped in front of you and started walking into the air on "steps" of nothing, that is to break the very facts that make up our existence, wich is NOT good storytelling.
    Last edited by Zorial; 2011-03-08 at 08:22 AM.

Not particularly fantasy, but the unabridged "The Count of Monte Cristo" is amazing.

Anything by Stephen King, ESPECIALLY the Dark Tower series. And if you get hooked on that, you'll have to read most of his other works to make sense of every nuance in the Dark Tower

Omg someone mentioned the Assassins Apprentice series, i totally forgot about those! Ah the classes in high school i spent reading those rather than paying attention, nostalgia series for me there.
    "Isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - The Tick

And yes, it is an exploding beer.

Antisaintz - Because, well, I wuv my dk

some people dont like the series, but i personally like Enders Game.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

I do think the Sword of Truth series is a good read, I did find a slow period near Faith of the Fallen but it did pick back up. Another series I would highly recommend would be the Ender's Game series. It is broke into two sections, the Ender set and the Shadow set. The shadow set is kinda a spinoff based on a character in the first Ender book. Only one I havn't read on the list is the one I marked.

Ender's Game
    Ender in Exile (I have never read but apparently its a prequal recently released)
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide
    Children of the Mind

Ender's Shadow
    Shadow of the Hegemon
    Shadow Puppets
    Shadow of the Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Senbo View Post
    some people dont like the series, but i personally like Enders Game.
    Bah you posted this as I was typing my post out.

First off mate, your age is immaterial - I started reading my dads scifi books when I was about 9. Just go for any decent books! I'd recommend the following:

Everything by Raymond E Fiest - start with the Riftwar saga (Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon) and go from there .. everything after that follows on from that foundation.

Also look at the works of Katherine Kerr ... there's I think three sets she's written which all followmon from each other, 3-4 books per series.

Then there's David Gemmell - he's written a number of standalone books and sets .. I'd start off with Knights of Dark Renown.

If you read all of that (I have, and enjoyed all of it), that should be around 40 books I think!

Oh, don't forget Terry Pratchett - start with The Colour of Magic and go from there! :-

Collapse by Jared Diamond
    Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris
    The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins
    The Trial of Henry Kissinger by Christopher Hitchens
    The Boy who Harnessed the Wind by William Kampkwamba

If you feel like fiction then:

State of Fear by Michael Crichton
    The Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
    Candide by Voltaire

If you're going to read Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' Series make sure to read 'New Spring' as well - i think it's set just before the main series & will give you a taste for what's to come - 14 in print & the 15th should be out back end of the year or early 2012 - one of the greatest fantasy writers of our time - the last 3 have been written by Brandon Sanderson based on notes left by Robert after he passed away in 2007.

Stephen King's 'The Dark tower' series is really good.

Orson Scott Card's 'The Tales of Alvin Maker' series is another good one - Seventh Son, Red Prophet, Prentice Alvin, Alvin Journeyman, Heartfire & The Crystal City.

There are a great many 'Fantasy' novels & series to keep you going for many years, it's a genre that keeps pulling you back in - enjoy)

A Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin
    The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
    The Bartimaeus Trilogy - Jonathan Stroud
    Pillars of the Earth, World Without End & Fall of Giants - Ken Follet
    The Percy Jackson series - Rick Riordan

DO NOT get tempted into reading Eragon or Twilight.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Oooo, a good thread :-)

You said you like fantasy books, but I'm gonna list some fantasy and some Sci-fi, because they honestly go hand in hand many times.

Fantasy

Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling - Many people bash Harry Potter, but they're honestly some of the best books out there. They're written for both kids and adults at the same time. There is plenty of adult humor that goes over the little kids' heads, but at the same time, the adults can kind of feel like a kid again...in a mature way :-) Basically, read them if you haven't, you'll enjoy them.
    The Warded Man - Peter V Brett - I don't see this series mentioned much. Currently only the first two of the trilogy are released. The Desert Spear is the second. I absolutely love these books however, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
    Jumper - Steven Gould - This and the sequal Reflex are both very good if you want a more modern approach. I consider them fantasy in the sense that the main character has 'supernatural' abilities, ie the ability to teleport. The movie based off these books was terrible, I know. However, the book is VERY different from the movie, in so far as to be a completely different story. Basically just the same character and title, that's all. It's a fun read if you can get over the fact that the movie based on it was bad :-)
    Wraeththu novels, starting with The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit - Storm Constantine - I'm currently in the middle of reading these. They're technically under the post-apocalyptic genre, but they don't really feel like a normal post-apocalyptic novel. They can get a little metaphysical and strange (it's about a race of hermaphrodites) but they're very very good.

Sci-Fi

Dune - Frank Herbert (later continued by his son Brian Herbert) - Amazing. These simply are amazing, that's all you can say. Read them immediately, probably even before you pick up Harry Potter lol
    Foundation Series - Isaac Asimov - Classic sci-fi. Can't live without it. If you enjoy Dune, you'll enjoy Foundation.
    Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card - Brilliant. Card was a genius on the proportion of his characters. You'll find this series immensely enjoyable. The first has more action than the following sequels, but all of them are exciting and enjoyable in their own way.
    Ringworld - Larry Niven - Part of the foundation for the Halo universe. Ringworld is essentially a Halo, but many many times larger (it circles a sun) and not a weapon. Now that I mention it, the Halo novels themselves aren't too bad, you might wanna check those out too.

Those are just a few suggestions. I can go on and on about books, but those should keep you occupied for awhile at least :-)
    Last edited by Leynal; 2011-03-08 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typos

Yeah as a couple people have posted the Sword of Truth series is a good read imo.

Deleted
    Vampire diaries (7 books in total) by L.J.Smith

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    A Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin
    This, although your name is quite the spoiler... :P