Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosterX View Post
    So when would you recommend to stop getting them then?
    don't. they trail off in the middle (~pillar of Creation) but then the last three are AWESOME, and all totally worth reading.

plus there's only 11 books if you're normal :P they where split into 18 for some of the foreign translations.

P.s. Eragon sucks, stop recommending it.
    Last edited by Gallahadd; 2011-03-14 at 01:50 AM.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    Everything by Raymond E Fiest - start with the Riftwar saga (Magician, Silverthorn, A Darkness at Sethanon) and go from there .. everything after that follows on from that foundation.
    This completely - I started reading those when I was in high school and fell in love with the genre. His books are written as trilogies and four-book series, but they all tie together as well since they pretty much follow generations of the same characters (and a few live long enough to be in all of the books due to magic). If you read other fantasy series and then come to this one, you may get a "generic fantasy" sense out of them. But for the most part, they are easy to read, have lots of action (the Robin Hobb books are great, too, but there's a LOT of personal conflict and reflection since they are written from the point of view of the main character), and the characters are just fun and colorful. And they do not have sex or graphical violence - your parents wouldn't object to these at all, like they might for The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin (those, though, are fantastic if you don't mind that the series isn't finished and you can get away with reading pretty graphic violence and sexual situations).

I also loved "The Eyes of the Dragon", a stand alone Stephen King novel that leans more towards the "fantasy" genre more than his usual "horror". The Dark Tower series is also very good.

I'd also suggest the Shannara series by Terry Brooks - they are not awesome when compared to many, many other fantasy books imo, but they are great starting fare. I believe these were the first I read, myself. By the time you get done with the Scions 4-parter (books 4-7, really, though 1-3 are all standalones in a sense) you'll have a great story behind you and a great foundation for reading other fantasy and knowing what the genre "typically" is about. No violence or graphical sex scenes in these, either.

If you do want that, though, I highly recommend Joe Abercrombie and "First Law" series. Great, great fantasy, lots of action, does some different things than the average fantasy novel, and best of all, it's a complete trilogy and then two stand alone novels in the same world - none of this "unfinished series" business. :-)
    Last edited by Dahrla23; 2011-03-14 at 01:17 PM.

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (don't judge them on the TV series Legend of the Seeker, that was just terrible)

First ones called "Wizards First Rule"

15+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend getting yourself an Amazon Kindle first of all. Seriously, might be the best purchase I have ever made. You can get books for 25-100% off the normal bookstore price so after the first year it has basically paid for itself if you read frequently. Best part is nearly every literary classic is completely free from Les Mis to Tom Sawyer to Moby Dick.

If you are into dark fantasy you should definitely read some Lovecraft. If you do go the Kindle route you can get a collection of like 200 stories for $3. Been reading that for about 6 months at this point lol.

Traditional books I would recommend anything by King, especially the Dark Tower series. The first four books are fantastic and the three he wrote in recent years to complete it are very good although they get a little strange even by his standards. Freakonomics is an amazing book that everyone should read. Redwall series is great and has always been one of my favorite fantasy environments.

Patrick Rothfuss The Kingkiller Chronicles 2nd book just came out, I've read alot of fantasy books growing up but the first book in this serie sure as hell blew my mind, the author has been delaying the 2nd book for a year because he want the sequel to be better than the first book so I'm sure it's awesome aswell.

First book is called The Name of the Wind and the 2nd book is called The Wise Man's Fear.

Read the original Dragonlance series from Wies and Hickman. Also by them Deathgate series, Darksword Trilogy.

Other series- The Belgariad(series 1) and The Mallorean (series 2), by David Eddings.

Many of the characters you see running around in WOW have their names inspired from these 5 series.
    As ret I feel like an apartment complex handyman. Supposed to be able to do it all, but I suck at everything I do compared to any professional. Sure I can fix a leaking faucet and screw the hinges back into a cabinet door, but god forbid a water main breaks and the cabinets fall off the wall. Handymen are good for 1 thing, applying bandaids. If you want the job done right, hire a professional. -Furbiscuit

Deleted
    Not really "fantasy", but I really like The "The dark tower"-Books by Stephen King.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstarr View Post
    Hello,

I'm a 17 y/o male, and I just finished LoTR, Hobbit, His Dark Materials.
    I need something else to read. Does anyone have an suggestions?
    I like Fantasy novels.

Thanks,
    Patrickstarr / Funkymonk
    Game of Thorns - George R R Martin
    Real Paladins Do It with Crusader

10+ Year Old Account
    *Thrones, not Thorns, it's the first book in A Song of Ice and Fire.

it's the best anything ever :P (although I only rated it third in my fantasy top five... :P)
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Twilight

oh wait you're 15+ and a male

I recommend Shogun by James Clavell and Winnetou by Karl May

I love Feist, start at book one and you'll forgive him a few of his later books (some are a bit slow, most are great)
    Other favourites are:
    - George RR Martin * Game of Thrones series
    - Robin Hobb * Haven't read all book-series, but those I read were great
    - Robert Jordan * Wheel of Time-series, some of the greatest characters
    - Weiss & Hickman * Deathgate series great books, leave a few holes but the worlds they created are AWESOME (especially in book 2, everytime I read that one, it blows my mind how they set that up). They also wrote a lot of other stuff which is worth a read, but this series is my favourite)
    - I see a lot of people adding "The name of the Wind", i havent read book 2 yet, but I loved book 1

About the Sword of Truth-series, i has its charms, but if you read better before it, the story telling can be 'meh' and full of cliches... also the books "Pillars of Creation" and especially "The naked Empire" are horrible horrible stories.. which made me take a break on that series for 2 years... so be warned.