Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Warlock Fashion: We Want Our Skulls Back

It's not often that I whine about anything not stat or nerf related- really, even the casual cries of "Moar green fire" aren't something I typically subscribe to. However, at this point... I'm tired of a certain trend that the art department has taken with our gear. I'd *hoped* that this would pass with wrath, but already by the sets granted to us in Cata, it's clear we have to say something.

First of all, let's take a moment to look back to the past, and see exactly how far our fashion sense has fallen. Journey with me, fellow hellcallers into the yesteryear, to our old visage. First on our list- Tier 2, also called "Nemesis" (Pictured here- http://home.tiscali.nl/interphase/images/yreall4.jpg)

Let's take a look at the simplicity of the design, and how honestly pimping it is. The eyes, how they glare at you with the tiny little facial mask. The horns are big- yet not too cartoon-esque. The skull? Perfection in a helm. There's a reason this thing made a comeback with the Ony reboot. I can actually remember a day when I was young, level 55, having just gotten my felguard as 2.0 hit... and running like HELL every time I saw a gnome wearing this in WSG. Even in the smallest of our locky breatheren, it inspired fear in a way that few sets have.

Moving on to TBC we start off our glory days with the beauty of Voidheart (pictured here http://www.locksucks.com/wp-content/...eart-tier4.jpg). While cartoony in some ways, its hard to ignore the GIANT WELL OF BLACKNESS EMANATING FROM THE CASTERS VERY SOU- ok. Whew. Sorry, had to calm myself there. But the point is there, as "strange" as it was, it actually took one of our iconic pets and made it look like WE SKINNED THEM. Which is very appropriate to any raider- a voidwalker is good for nothing but a hat. Take note.

Finally, the two Cadillacs of the warlock tribe. The twin hellions known only as Corrupter (http://www.locksucks.com/wp-content/...ptor-tier5.jpg) and Malefic Raiment (http://worldofweirdcraft.net/wp-cont...warlock-t6.jpg). To describe either one of them seems a sin- my laptop's keyboard has turned into shark teeth, willing to snip at my fingers for even attempting sane discussion of the two. The first is quite simply one of the more perfect warlock sets we've ever seen. It's simple. It's black. There are skulls on spikes. The beauty it conveys is on par with that of a baby's first breath, or some poor bastard paladin's last. The only criticism that has been dolled onto it is in that it's helm *kind* of looks like dog genetilia. Which I find intimidating in it's own way, but (ow, goddamn demon keyboard) moving on.

And of course, tier 6 can only be described as orgasmic. Not because of the purple on yellow, as the art team seems to believe... but because of the wings. Oh gods yes, the wings. Many a man has trudged back to the cold, bleak outlands, doing "Achievement Runs" simply to GET. THOSE. WINGS. They spawned an entire subculture of simply INSULTING them- "Oh, welfware wings. GG SL/SL." were the battle cries of the weak and feeble, those poor mortals who had gazed upon our glorious wingspans.

Yes, these were our golden years.

And what have they brought us?
    TEARS (http://feldeeds.files.wordpress.com/...de_warlock.jpg)
    What the hell is that? Am I a warrior now? Do i need to be bladed? Last time I checked, I summoned demons- any attachments to my armor should help that or intimidate. Not be useful in a melee situation simply because "it might put an eye out."

SHAME (http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...r10warlock.jpg)
    I can't even start on this one. All I can say is that my voicemail is filled to the brim with some group who call themselves "Death Eaters" whining that we stole their stupid, stupid hats.

And finally OPEN WEEPING ( http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...13_warlock.jpg)
    Yes. We know it was a throwback. We also know it's a throwback to that poor time in vanilla when you DRESSED US UP LIKE STORMTROOPERS IN A PRIDE PARADE.

And lo, it is to continue-
    http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...k_female_m.jpg
    Thank god for the giant, lopsided horns. I didn't need to turn to the right that much anyway.

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...10_warlock.jpg
    I think what bothers me about this is that they managed to fit in skulls AND green fire, and somehow still make me hate it. I've puked colors that have had more dark flair than this, and I have also puked exactly this color several thousand times in my life.

Just to illustrate the difference here-
    http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...13_warlock.jpg
    -Says, I occasionally dabble in the black arts, but really I believe that we can change the world for the better, no matter what the color of our magic is.

http://www.locksucks.com/wp-content/...ptor-tier5.jpg
    -Says, Mmm, I think I'll have murder for breakfast.

My request is simple- stop clicking the "random color" button on your palette and get back to our roots. Black baby, PAINT. IT. BLACK. Not purple! Not dark pink! Not bright frigging yellow!

BLACK. Preferably with RED TRIM.

And god knows you've given all the skulls to the death knights, but can you find it in your heart to spare us a couple next time? By next expansion our tier set will be nothing but a bloody tie-dye shirt and the helm will be a crown of flowers, one hand raised in a "peace" symbol. Quit turning us into hippy druids, you weak fools. And we swear to god, if we see one giant pink crystal floating above EITHER shoulder, we'll see it as an act of war and start taking over strategic art department held buildings and oil refineries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dk here. Feel free to take our skulls! its getting a bit drab the past 3 tier sets (minus 9, the great copy/paste)

ROFL.... ok your commentary owned me.....

is it just me or the hunter head would look better on locks?

Deleted
    DK here, got some skulls for your set!

They are gnome skulls tho!

DK here, WTS skulls.

Sick of them, WTB some other DK-esque motif for a while. Maybe some bladed saronite stuff, something more gargoyle-like, even a banshee looking armor, but come on, no more skulls.

EDIT:

Also, Malefic was BEAUTIFUL. I was so gorram jealous. Lovely write up.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2011-03-08 at 05:45 AM.

While I agree that the warlock fashion is lacking in the demonic sense, I also think many other classes have has similar ...developments.
    Take the rogue's deep sea diving. Or the hunter's, YAR I BE A MURLOCK, MATEE.
    Or perhaps the priest's /palm "Man, I don't even know."
    Or the druids "LOOK I HAVE A MOON" [which is a fantastic set aside from the moon, way to mess it up, gg.]
    Or the most recent warrior pvp seaon: I R ROOK

Point being, it's not just the locks.
    If you're lucky, you get an armor you like.
    If not.... well, there's always offset snagging of classes that have the same armor class.

[Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black]

you sir, have expressed my thoughts in a way that i did not have to patience to write.
    i agree with pretty much everything you have said. and the humor you added to your post, rather then straight QQ makes it that much better.

i would love a new tier that has evil flare to it.

edit: i want to the mage tier helm (current tier). i want that deep red / black, and i want it noaw...

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagined this entire thing to be said in a very very flamboyant sounding voice...
    "Come, face me! Give in to your Pride! Show me your Greatness!"

mfw every day | Nujabes - Horizon

Quote Originally Posted by Rekx View Post
    you sir, have expressed my thoughts in a way that i did not have to patience to write.
    i agree with pretty much everything you have said. and the humor you added to your post, rather then straight QQ makes it that much better.

i would love a new tier that has evil flare to it.
    We could call it "Evil lock T11" you have to upgrade it with... wait... we've been down this road before. where's the wolf?

[Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black]

as you said tbc had some of the best warlock sets ever and o god i wish we could wear somthing that look good proudly in the tiers to come

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did you post this on any official site? lol

I actually liked t10, personally.

And you skipped t8, which is probably one of if not the best looking tier set in the game.

11's not so bad. The pvp set is horrendous and looks more like something a shaman would wear, imo.\

And personally, black and red is really cliche. Like. Really, really cliche. A deep purple would be amazing though.
    Quote Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
    Obviously Garrosh would win, it's like a gorilla vs a human... do you know how strong a gorilla is? He'll snap your dick off and throw it in the tall grass. Garrosh = dick-snapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Sure. When I wake up in the middle of the night with a full tank, I just flip back the curtain and let it flow.

15+ Year Old Account
    OP makes it sound like Warlocks havent had some of the most fitting and best designed sets it game.

ah what a good read. i completely agree.. the.. "war" in "warlock" has vanished.

Quote Originally Posted by kortin View Post
    I imagined this entire thing to be said in a very very flamboyant sounding voice...
    sais the paladin...

and onto business. yes t5 was by far the "golden age" of lock tier sets. i remember paying a guildie to not bid on them so i could own em. just to look at them. stats didnt matter. they were awesome. looking at the new tier set makes me doubt my sexual preferences and if i should be seen sporting such tranny gear.

dev1: ok, so. we need a design for the lock helm. damn, i so cant w8 to go play badminton with my peeps this weekend. u got any plans?

dev2: well i was gonna watch the new batman but decided to rather go c the dashboard confessionals show. they rock.

dev1: they are them emo dudes right?

dev2: yeah thats em. HEY! I GOT AN IDEA!!

and we all knw where this leads....

so to deal with this situation i leveled engineering (dropping jc). it seems sad to go to such lengths just to not look like some bent out of shape R-tard ,who got his polystyrene horns stuck in mommies car when she came to pick him up from trick or treatin.

/wrists

What's wrong with t10? I honestly think that was one of the best looking sets in all of Wrath, for all classes. Maybe not as good as t5 or t6, but still awesome looking gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks have had some of the coolest looking tier in the game. And I'm in the minority, but I like T11 alot. Especially the helm and shoulders. The executioner's hood with the horns (yah fishook, blah, blah, blah) asymmetry especially. The best Tier we've had was either 4 or 5. T6 is a little overrated. While the wings were cool, the rest of it was meh. And the helm only looked semi decent on undead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Us mages got skullz and spikez galore, are you jelly?

To the tune of Paint it Black.

I see a tier set and I want it painted black. Too many colours now I want them to turn black.
    I see the Locks walk by dressed in their summer clothes. We have to turn back to the tier gear of old.
    I see some shiny loot yes it is brightly lit. Like Pally's, Druid's and Priest's - those peaceful magic freaks.

I see Warlocks turn their heads and quickly look away. Give us the shadow back and let us fear away.
    Locks look inside themselves and see their hearts are black. They see the lovely gear and want it painted black.
    Maybe then they can do their thing - summon demons and rain down fire. It's not easy being fear incarnate when wearing pretty frocks.

No more will green fire seem like rows of flower bloom. What classes could forsee this happening to you.
    If we looked hard enough into pits of hell. Our spells might once again force moral fools to rez.
    Locks see their tier gear and want it they want it painted black. Too many colours now we want them painted black.
    I see the Locks walk by dressed in their summer clothes. I had to hide my smirk to help him feel pro.

Haha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha /cough.

I want to see dark tiers - shadowy black. Black as night, black as coal!
    I want to see the mortal fools... scream in fear agonised and dying.
    I want our gear shadowed - scary - eerie - painted black!

I agree though, the Tier for Warlocks has gone downhill.
    Last edited by Renagade Raven; 2011-03-08 at 06:12 AM.