Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

de-lidding de 8700k

Hey lads,

I just ordered the dr. delid tool and the thermal grizzly conductonaut liquid metal. I will be using this video as a guide, even though I do not intend to actually glue the headspreader back on when I relid it. What do you guys think?

Does anyone have any experience with de-lidding? If so, I would very much appreciate the advice

Mods: could you edit the title? I accidentally wrote "de" in stead of "the". Damn you Dutch language!

I haven't done it myself but I've seen plenty of YT videos on the process. Seems fairly straightforward and "safe" when using the proper de-lidding tools. I'm assuming you didn't win the lottery with your CPU or wan't to go for a high OC? No reason to de-lid otherwise.
    Last edited by Cerus; 2018-01-28 at 09:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Hey lads,

I just ordered the dr. delid tool and the thermal grizzly conductonaut liquid metal. I will be using this video as a guide, even though I do not intend to actually glue the headspreader back on when I relid it. What do you guys think?

Does anyone have any experience with de-lidding? If so, I would very much appreciate the advice

Mods: could you edit the title? I accidentally wrote "de" in stead of "the". Damn you Dutch language!
    Wait are you Dutch or Italian? If Dutch there's plenty of people on Tweakers.net whom are experienced and will do it for you, including gluing it back together.

I've not done it myself but I have seen it's effects first hand ... and they're good ... like hot damned levels of good.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    I haven't done it myself but I've seen plenty of YT videos on the process. Seems fairly straightforward and "safe" when using the proper de-lidding tools. I'm assuming you didn't win the lottery with your CPU or wan't to go for a high OC? No reason to de-lid otherwise.
    It's stable in aida64 and realbench at 4.9ghz, but it crashes in prime95 with avx instructions unless I increase the voltage quite a bit, which consequently results in unacceptably high temperatures.

So, reasons plenty to de-lid. Necessary, obviously not.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Wait are you Dutch or Italian? If Dutch there's plenty of people on Tweakers.net whom are experienced and will do it for you, including gluing it back together.

I've not done it myself but I have seen it's effects first hand ... and they're good ... like hot damned levels of good.
    Italian, but I live in Amsterdam.

Yeah, I saw the advertisements, but buying the necessary tools will cost me just as much and I wouldn't need to send them my cpu. Plus, they will not take any responsibility if anything goes wrong, so why even bother paying them for something that seems pretty damn straight forward, right?

I won't glue the headspeader back because it's pointless since the mobo socket will put enough pressure on the cpu, not because it seems too hard
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2018-01-28 at 10:48 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Italian, but I live in Amsterdam.

Yeah, I saw the advertisements, but buying the necessary tools will cost me just as much and I wouldn't need to send them my cpu. Plus, they will not take any responsibility if anything goes wrong, so why even bother paying them for something that seems pretty damn straight forward, right?

I won't glue the headspeader back because it's pointless since the mobo socket will put enough pressure on the cpu, not because it seems too hard
    I didn't mean it in the sense of it being hard but in the sense of effort.
    Just make sure you do it properly then because with Liquid Metal you really need almost nothing, anything that even remotely resembles a "pool" is bad as the CPU can short.

Also random sidenote: Italian petrol stations are thieves.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

I didn't mean it in the sense of it being hard but in the sense of effort.
    Just make sure you do it properly then because with Liquid Metal you really need almost nothing, anything that even remotely resembles a "pool" is bad as the CPU can short.

Also random sidenote: Italian petrol stations are thieves.
    Heh, thieves in Italy aren't exclusive to petrol stations, believe me.

Aye, I read about the dangers of liquid metal. I'm going to apply the tiniest amount imaginable by squeezing it on another surface, then absorbing some with a cotton swab and applying it from that. Which is why I asked if cotton swabs are okay; won't they leave 'hariy' residue? Everyone is using them in the videos, so probably not, right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Heh, thieves in Italy aren't exclusive to petrol stations, believe me.

Aye, I read about the dangers of liquid metal. I'm going to apply the tiniest amount imaginable by squeezing it on another surface, then absorbing some with a cotton swab and applying it from that. Which is why I asked if cotton swabs are okay; won't they leave 'hariy' residue? Everyone is using them in the videos, so probably not, right?
    Different cotton swab types.
    You get 2 or 3 with Thermal Grizzly's Conductonaut so you're fine with that.

If you use the basic white ones you buy in stores here then yes they'll leave fibers behind.

Regarding only petrol stations... I know, I drove several times through Italy and whilst it's beautiful ... the port of Bari and it's pizza joints as well just food on the port waiting for the boat etc. are thieving bastards.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Me and my friend split for a Rockit some time ago and should be in any day now along with a H110i. I'm more anxious about applying the Conductonaut than anything else since this'll be my first step in to liquid metal.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

It's stable in aida64 and realbench at 4.9ghz, but it crashes in prime95 with avx instructions unless I increase the voltage quite a bit, which consequently results in unacceptably high temperatures.
    I’m no de-lidding expert but I don’t think it will do anything for the voltage. What sort of voltages are we talking about? I have my 8600k OC to 5ghz with a small avx offset. Some don’t need it but some do to keep the temps under control. My understanding is that few programs use avx so a few hundred mhz downclock is no biggie.
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Regarding only petrol stations... I know, I drove several times through Italy and whilst it's beautiful ... the port of Bari and it's pizza joints as well just food on the port waiting for the boat etc. are thieving bastards.
    Offtopic:

You do know that applies to every mediterranean country right?

"Tourism" works by scamming Northern Europeans, has been like this since the 70s afaik.

Basically everyone that isnt Balkan/mediterranean always gets fooled once, then they learn and start to rent places with kitchens to cook for themselves

- - - Updated - - -

I’m no de-lidding expert but I don’t think it will do anything for the voltage. What sort of voltages are we talking about? I have my 8600k OC to 5ghz with a small avx offset. Some don’t need it but some do to keep the temps under control. My understanding is that few programs use avx so a few hundred mhz downclock is no biggie.
    De-lidding is literally a good -20C in most cases with the same voltage afaik, not experienced myself, but every review/result i have seen over the years produces the same result, easy 20, or even 30C lower on the same voltage, so if he says "unacceptably high" he probably means 85C+, which the de-lid instantly makes them 60-70C or so, unless we are talking 1.4V? Which maybe then the 90+ becomes 80+ which is safer
    Last edited by potis; 2018-01-29 at 02:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did it with my old 3570k and the difference was massive. It was almost 20 degrees cooler at full load. Just be careful and take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post

De-lidding is literally a good -20C in most cases with the same voltage afaik, not experienced myself, but every review/result i have seen over the years produces the same result, easy 20, or even 30C lower on the same voltage, so if he says "unacceptably high" he probably means 85C+, which the de-lid instantly makes them 60-70C or so, unless we are talking 1.4V? Which maybe then the 90+ becomes 80+ which is safer
    Yeah I know you can see 10-20c or higher reduction in temps when de-lidding. My point was that it won't have any impact on voltages. If his CPU needs 1.4+ voltage to hit 5ghz that isn't good even if it's de-lidded to keep the temps reasonable. I know some users are fine with voltages that high but it's really not good for 24/7 use.

I don't think anyone in this thread said it did.

An OC with AVX off-set would be pretty much worthless for me, since [in my case] most programs and games actually use AVX instructions. Having a juicy 5.0ghz OC in idle isn't exactly uselful. As for your question: I need 1.33v for 5ghz, though you're still pretty safe at 1.4v as long as you control your temps.

I think people generally underestimate how many games actually use AVX instructions.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2018-01-29 at 08:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What am I missing? Why would someone do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    What am I missing? Why would someone do this?
    Actually reading the replies would answer your question.

An OC with AVX off-set would be pretty much worthless for me, since [in my case] most programs and games actually use AVX instructions. Having a juicy 5.0ghz OC in idle isn't exactly uselful. As for your question: I need 1.33v for 5ghz, though you're still pretty safe at 1.4v as long as you control your temps.

I think people generally underestimate how many games actually use AVX instructions.
    1.33 isn’t bad for 5ghz. Get the temps under 80c and you’re good.

Unless something has changed, the last I read on avx was that it was primarily limited to video and photo editing programs. What game actually use avx?

Which games actually use AVX instructions?
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

1.33 isn’t bad for 5ghz. Get the temps under 80c and you’re good.

Unless something has changed, the last I read on avx was that it was primarily limited to video and photo editing programs. What game actually use avx?
    Nothing has changed. Csgo, pubg, grid2, ww2, project cars 2, ac origins, dota, VR, etc. The list of games that actually use avx instructions is pretty long. Your cpu will basically always underclock when under load with an avx off set.

Edit: oh and yeah, 1.33 isn’t bad. While stable in Aida, it crashes in Prime ergo not AVX stable
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2018-01-29 at 09:45 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Offtopic:

You do know that applies to every mediterranean country right?

"Tourism" works by scamming Northern Europeans, has been like this since the 70s afaik.

Basically everyone that isnt Balkan/mediterranean always gets fooled once, then they learn and start to rent places with kitchens to cook for themselves
    I may have been born and raised in the Netherlands but I am Serbian/Montenegrin by blood.
    I am Balkan

Just when I go on holiday I've gone through Italy to get to Bari to take the ferry to either Montenegro or Greece.
    Though I stopped doing it because simply driving is almost the same time, less headache and cheaper than spending the night in Italy with crappy food and when I'm on holiday ... I don't intend to cook :P

Barring the temperatures de-lidding CAN actually lower Voltage requirements as the droop becomes lower and you gain efficiency.
    Whether that's a large amount depends on the silicon quality and it's still not the main reason for it of course.

The absolutely atrociously different temperature differences are and the differences are massive enough to warrant bitching at Intel.
    Because you can use a cheaper cooler to get better speeds at lower temperatures than you could before de-lidding.
    The consequences enormous and Intel's bullshit for saying "It cracks!!111oneoneoneone" is hilarious because they first used the excuse small dies and it not being so for larger dies ... then surprise surprise ... Skylake-X is now Thermal Pasted too ... small die on that too?
    Actually if you want to get technical their very first statement of using Thermal Paste on Ivy Bridge was that "Ivy Bridge's die itself is not compatible with solder due to 3D Transistors" ... which, if you apply simple logic, is a load of bull because it's encased in a silicon package that makes it an almost perfect rectangle without any dips or changes, a flat surface ... how is a flat surface "not compatible" with solder when clearly other technologies with it are?

De-lidding is something that IMO should never have existed, not for the fact that people can do it or w/e but for the fact of Intel being money grubbing assholes to use Thermal Paste instead of soldering, any excuse of it cracking has long been proven as bullshit as nothing of the sort has been found by anyone except Intel's own engineers.. how surprising here.

Deleted
    Good luck and don't break your cpu.Kappa!