Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thelordymir View Post
    Your metaphor is nothing close to what I was saying in any context other then "stealing". Most people who "steal" video games end up paying for the actual game when they are good. I pirated ME1, I loved the game and purchased ME2 because of that and enjoyed that game as well, then went back and bought ME1 just to have both w/o filling up HDD space. Had ME1 been absolute shit, I would have deleted the game and not bought the sequel.
    Knew this would come up, and it's complete bollocks. Maybe that's what you do, and you'd like to believe that every other pirate does it too, but it's just not true for the vast majority of them. They already have the game, so why do they need to buy it? If they want to try and justify it to themselves, they can say they didn't like parts of it and never pay anything, but they could have still had many hours of enjoyment out if it and paid absolutely nothing.

I am not going to drop 60$ to try out a game and see if it's good.
    Then don't. Wait for a reviewer you trust to give you their opinion, wait for a demo if there is one planned, or wait till it's on sale.

When Mass Effect came out, my financial situation was terrible. I was in thousands of pounds worth of debt and could barely afford to eat, so needless to say, I didn't buy it. By the time I dragged myself out of debt and had a little disposable income, Mass Effect was £5 on Steam and I snapped it up right away. Waiting didn't hurt me, infact I got it for an absolute bargain, while still contributing to the developers.

Games now have small demos that do nothing to really show us what we can expect, because we go into the game saying "Yeah that demo was ok" and find out lo and behold that THE GAME IS FUCKING 6 HOURS LONG.
    Read up on it before you buy it. Within a week of a game's release, you'll have information on how good it is, how long it is, what the performance is like, etc, from many different sources. If it turns out to be short, but still sounds good, wait til it comes down in price. Nothing says you have to buy it on the release day and waiting won't kill you.

Anyway, all I get from your posts is that you are trying to justify to yourself and others that you're not doing anything wrong. Well, you are, and there's no question about it. Complain about the state of the gaming industry all you want, but the fact is you're still playing the games they're producing and not giving anything back and it's making things worse, not better. The only people who don't suffer are selfish pirates like yourself, but if you gave a damn about anyone but yourself, you wouldn't be a pirate in the first place.
    Last edited by Mothhive; 2011-03-27 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post

Then don't. Wait for a reviewer you trust to give you their opinion, wait for a demo if there is one planned, or wait till it's on sale.
    That is bullshit as well. Most reviewers can't be trusted now because they are in the pockets of the games they are reviewing. And the others who are not being paid? Their opinions are not my own, I can go off their numbers given but the games they hate I sometimes love, and that's true for every reviewer ive read/listened to on a lot of games. They allow you to form an opinion, but if you have any free thought whatsoever, you are not swayed 100% by what another human being as told you is good or bad. You have to make decisions for yourself.

When Mass Effect came out, my financial situation was terrible. I was in thousands of pounds worth of debt and could barely afford to eat, so needless to say, I didn't buy it. By the time I dragged myself out of debt and had a little disposable income, Mass Effect was £5 on Steam and I snapped it up right away. Waiting didn't hurt me, infact I got it for an absolute bargain, while still contributing to the developers.
    How much of that 5pounds do you think went to the developers? I'm curious. I would venture to say maybe 1 or less because it's the publishers that make the majority of the cash.

Read up on it before you buy it. Within a week of a game's release, you'll have information on how good it is, how long it is, what the performance is like, etc, from many different sources. If it turns out to be short, but still sounds good, wait til it comes down in price. Nothing says you have to buy it on the release day.
    Or...and this is key, I could try it for MYSELF and see what I think of it.

Anyway, all I get from your posts is that you are trying to justify to yourself and others that you're not doing anything wrong. Well, you are, and there's no question about it. Complain about the state of the gaming industry all you want, but the fact is you're still playing the games they're producing and not giving anything back and it's making things worse, not better. The only people who don't suffer are selfish pirates like yourself, but if you gave a damn about anyone but yourself, you wouldn't be a pirate in the first place.
    I'm not saying what I am doing isn't wrong in the legal sense, because yeah, it is. It's not wrong in the artistic sense though. Maybe...MAYBE if people were making games to be about the story telling element, the artistic expression and the ability to create for others instead of trying to make the next WoW or God of War ripoff cashcow so they can buy another villa I wouldn't do this. Then again I would not need to pirate anything because I would actually enjoy more then 1% of the games that hit the market nowadays, and most of them might not just be blatant copies of actual works of art and inspiration.

And don't kid yourself, these people get by and they get by pretty damn good. I'm so sorry that that extra 60$ from me and even 100,000 other people arn't going into their pocket and instead they are only making a mere 200-300k this year. Woe to them.

Edit: and im not saying these games are complete worthless pieces of trash (though some are). Most are just not worth their price tag, and seeing as you can't actually pay what you feel the game is worth to you in your eyes, well that's that.

Well, I'm not going to bother arguing further as you seem pretty set in your ways, but I am curious to know what games you played but didn't deem worth your money.

Oh, and dismiss the research/review/demo thing all you want, but I have decided which games to purchase that way ever since I've been a gamer and I own hundreds of games and not one of them has turned out to be bad. Some of them weren't quite as good as I hoped, but still worth the money I paid for them since I got alot of entertainment out of them, and if I'm not 100% sure on a game, I'll wait till it's on sale anyway.

Thats the one thing that bugs me about game's their price.

Go to the store buy a game 50 euro's for that you get game + booklet + case..
    Go to an online store "steam for example" pay 50 bucks for the exact same data without all the packeaging.

Why does it costs just as much?

Deleted
    I pirate games too, and I have no regrets. Suck it up.

Just found this picture on bioware forums, and decided to share

Last edited by Against the Modern World; 2011-03-27 at 10:18 PM.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    Thats the one thing that bugs me about game's their price.

Go to the store buy a game 50 euro's for that you get game + booklet + case..
    Go to an online store "steam for example" pay 50 bucks for the exact same data without all the packeaging.

Why does it costs just as much?
    Actually, in my case, the tax laws are ridiculous, and there is like only one reliable company that imports games, prepares Turkish manuals for them and covers. So they tend to charge quite a lot, I would be forced to pay at least 10 more dollars per game if I don't buy them from Steam.

For Black Ops, is costing around 80 Dollars in here. I bought it for 60. Thanks Steam. Wish I could have your options though, I'd love to add some more to my game collection.
    "So, he sent a succubus to seduce you, and lure you down to his side. And yet, first thing you do is to check her ass? Ah, kid, you've got much to learn.."

I'm about 20 hours in. Enjoying it immensely. If you're an RPG fan I'd highly recommend it. Not perfect, but like all Bioware games, a great story.

From what I have heard, the game is pretty short, but I played the demo, the combat is great, but I also enver played the first one. perhaps if you expect something better in a sequel game(Which you should) and you don't get that, then normally a game will get a lower score then the first one. So with that in mind, that is probably why ,they did something that wasn't what made the first one good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Justifying Pirating is stupid.

You are stealing. If you don't want to spend $60 to find if you like something or not, then rent it or watch videos on youtube.

You have no right to download the game and play it and it causes an adverse affect on the industry. Games that were scheduled for PC release were cancelled due to Arcade ports being pirated. Sequels have been pulled because of piracy of the first game. Game developers are preferring console as its harder to pirate.

You can justify it however you like, but your still morally and legally in the wrong. Its no different than you grabbing the game off the store shelf and running out with it, and I doubt half the pirates would do that.

The game is still longer than 99% of single player games. It took be about 30 hours to beat it, which was the same for origins for me. I don't think the game has much replay value, but I didn't think Origins had much replay value either. I beat origins twice. Once when it came out, and once right before DA2 came out, where else I have beat Mass Effect 2 at least 7 times and I'm still not done with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    The game is still longer than 99% of single player games. It took be about 30 hours to beat it, which was the same for origins for me. I don't think the game has much replay value, but I didn't think Origins had much replay value either. I beat origins twice. Once when it came out, and once right before DA2 came out, where else I have beat Mass Effect 2 at least 7 times and I'm still not done with it.
    Because Mass Effect > Dragon Age

In so many ways

Quote Originally Posted by Scorage View Post
    And if they decide Kaidan is an important character, then that means you won't see Ashley if they shove Kaidan down our throats. At least the choice there is solid. One or the other type. Zevran on the other side wouldn't be required on the game even if the third game was entirely about Antiva. Don't know why the game would skip that part and activate his side quest. I know it didn't for Nathaniel.

Doubtful, them asking you about the dead one, and the live one being in ME2 and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post

You are stealing. If you don't want to spend $60 to find if you like something or not, then rent it or watch videos on youtube.

You have no right to download the game and play it and it causes an adverse affect on the industry. Games that were scheduled for PC release were cancelled due to Arcade ports being pirated. Sequels have been pulled because of piracy of the first game. Game developers are preferring console as its harder to pirate.

You can justify it however you like, but your still morally and legally in the wrong. Its no different than you grabbing the game off the store shelf and running out with it, and I doubt half the pirates would do that.
    If they don't want people to pirate their games, people need to start making games worth purchasing. Until that happens, I will steal every game I want to play, play the campaign, and if I like it and want to try multiplayer, I'll buy it.

It also doesn't help that pirated games do not have the experience crippling DRM that purchased games do.
    Last edited by MrAlaska; 2011-03-27 at 10:48 PM.

Great game imo, just finished it. Did every quest I found on nightmare and it took about 45h, so no, it's not a short game. Combat is a step up from DAO, it's faster and more punishing (freaking mages / fenris killing rogues all the time). Boss fights are way harder and better than the ones in DAO. I liked the story a lot, as I liked the story in DAO. So it's a great game in my opinion, some people like it, some people don't. It's up to you to try it out.

The game is the fuckin same to me. I'm doing the game on Nightmare. Rogues 1 shot my mages, Blood mages are a bitch to kill they keep stealing your hps. Archers knockbacking by mages into a stunlock, Fenris doing friendly fire with his Mighty Blow and annihilating my party. And it seems you can't truly be evil. Whatever you do the story stays the same really; you could be the worst dick around, they still worship you as the Champion.
    Last edited by Oztington; 2011-03-28 at 03:16 AM.

"Oh Hawke? Yeah he is an asshole, real twat, fucking self centered moron with a know-it-all attitude."
    "Yeap. He still killed like most of the Qunari with his companions and went toe to toe with the damn Arishok though."
    "Yeah... Just keep smiling to his face, I know I'll get the chance to pee in his drink some day."
    "So, he sent a succubus to seduce you, and lure you down to his side. And yet, first thing you do is to check her ass? Ah, kid, you've got much to learn.."

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAlaska View Post
    Doubtful, them asking you about the dead one, and the live one being in ME2 and all.

If they don't want people to pirate their games, people need to start making games worth purchasing. Until that happens, I will steal every game I want to play, play the campaign, and if I like it and want to try multiplayer, I'll buy it.

It also doesn't help that pirated games do not have the experience crippling DRM that purchased games do.
    you sir.. are human filth.. I hold you in the same regard as the little rodents that go through parking lots checking for unlocked doors.. I only wish I could be there to see you get what you have coming to you..

back on topic though.. I played 53 hours on my first play through.. warrior.. yeah I pre-ordered and respecced a bunch and generally just took my time and tried to enjoy the ride on casual mode.. my only complaint is that there isn't a lot of room for exploration and just finding things by chance.. oh and a few bugged quests that couldn't be completed.. but meh.. I paid my $53.. I enjoyed the game.. back to WoW..
    <Mod edit: Infracted>
    Last edited by Chelly; 2011-03-28 at 01:34 PM.

I enjoyed the game very much, right up until the final hour or so. Sided with the mages, and i'll just say i was pissed off at how it turned out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post

Harder to pirate?! Yeah right, Dragon Age II was available for consoles around the 4th of March. It was scheduled to release on the 8th. So get your facts straight before you post. If anything even if you downloaded the leaked game on the PC it had a SecuRom with a release date check. So you could not play it before it's official release date. So don't tell me that console games are harder to pirate.

And to that Mothhive: You mad I pirate? Do something about it then. Calling me names won't do anything. Well, I guess you can't. You can just rant on a forum. Pathetic. I will still pirate. You can jump off a cliff for all I care. If I like the games I buy them. But I am not going to give companies, who think they can put up a half assed product and still get my 60 dollars, the incentive to create more crappy shit. I am not even going to go into DLCs. Game Developers deliberately not including content upon release so they can cash in on it at a later stage just because they are greedy and know no bounds. If you, Mothhive, like being bended over then please, go ahead. I don't. That is why I do what I do.

Instead of being so proud you filled some greedy companies pockets by buying their crap, go donate money to charity. Help someone in need. If you see a beggar on the street toss him some cash. This is way more meaningful. I do it every chance I get. Those people actually benefit from my money. Yeah, what scum I am. The next time a company releases a game and tries to milk you, seeing as you are so very unselfish, instead of spending those 60 bucks on it give them to a poor person. Much more meaningful. I bet my ass though, you won't do it. So yeah, keep on defending those companies and feel good and so awesome about it.

I can rant all I want because I bought Origins, Awakening and all DLCs and felt cheated with what they did to Dragon Age II. I see that the money I spent on the original weren't used for making another game but instead making some sort of rush job to cut costs and cash in on the fame of Origins. Not only that but they fail to release a patch that fixes all their damn bugs that should have been caught by the QA team anyway.

Look at Magicka. I paid 10 Euros for it, but the game is so worth my money. Not only that, but it's developers are dedicated to it and constantly churning updates and fixes. Kudos to those sort of creators who actually value their customers and put some love into making their products. THOSE are worth my money. And I don't hesitate to buy those games. But assholes who think they can get my cash just because they are riding on past fame and get away with it? Never.

Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    you sir.. are human filth.. I hold you in the same regard as the little rodents that go through parking lots checking for unlocked doors.. I only wish I could be there to see you get what you have coming to you..
    Get help. The dude said if he likes the game he buys it. I see no difference. In the end he DOES buy it but is sure that he didn't throw his money away and give it to some crappy developer. He probably pays taxes, doesn't steal, murder, blackmail and so on, and yet you call him human filth for pirating a game. You are ... I really have no words to describe you. You better start taking your meds again though. And instead of shooting blanks, load a live one in the magazine, and put it right between your eyes.

Self-righteous zealots like you make me sick. Like you never in your life have downloaded an illegal mp3 or something, right? Hah. All you can do is try and look menacing on the forums. You said it yourself: You can only wish, but you can do jack shit about it. So shut up and hide under the rock you crawled from. (Or the mental institution that you escaped from)
    <Mod edit: Infracted>
    Last edited by Chelly; 2011-03-28 at 01:34 PM.

Wait? This entire thread is discussing piracy and I made one post - not even supporting piracy, but highlighting a real issue in Crysis Warhead and Crysis 2, and I got an infraction?

Whatever, I could contribute, but I don't want to get in trouble. It is a pointless never ending argument.