Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    3). It's a repeat of a common artifact when the player has yet to complete all available common artifacts. That third point is how you can effectively "cheat" the system.

I stopped reading after that, I've definitely had repeat commons before completing all commons in a certain race. It took me FOREVER to get the chest of tiny glass animals when I was doing night elves, and I got tons of repeats before I finally got it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel bad for the author if he's leveling another archeologist just to see if his theory is true, someone should tell him a survey of other players have already proven his theory false.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by haydude View Post
    3). It's a repeat of a common artifact when the player has yet to complete all available common artifacts. That third point is how you can effectively "cheat" the system.

I stopped reading after that, I've definitely had repeat commons before completing all commons in a certain race. It took me FOREVER to get the chest of tiny glass animals when I was doing night elves, and I got tons of repeats before I finally got it.
    Just an fyi for all those with this sentiment, there are some commons with a required skill level as well. So if you're leveling the troll or night elf and you finish all the commons but those at 325 but you need 450 for the restrictive commons, then you'll get repeats until you're eligible. Generally the commons with high sell prices are the ones you'll find have high requirements as well. If you took the strat of the OP by waiting until 450 to start solving a race then you wouldn't run into this problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Samthemann View Post
    Just an fyi for all those with this sentiment, there are some commons with a required skill level as well. So if you're leveling the troll or night elf and you finish all the commons but those at 325 but you need 450 for the restrictive commons, then you'll get repeats until you're eligible. Generally the commons with high sell prices are the ones you'll find have high requirements as well. If you took the strat of the OP by waiting until 450 to start solving a race then you wouldn't run into this problem.
    My very first fossil solves, I got the same common three times in a row immediately after picking up archeology. I also had multiple repeat troll solves very early in my leveling. So, no, that is not the reason. The claim that the RGN rerolls if you get a common that has already been solved when others are still to be unsolved is false. Fullstop.

Also, I have never heard that some commons have a level requirement, aside from the ones that come from races that don't open up until later, so I would say citation needed on that claim in the first place. They didn't even get the higher sell prices until a recent patch anyway.

If you took the strat of the OP by waiting until 450 to start solving a race then you wouldn't run into this problem.
    Is this even possible now? There is a hard cap on 200 fragments now, and you don't get skillups for digging past 50. Seems like based on that system it would be impossible to cap without solving.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    My very first fossil solves, I got the same common three times in a row immediately after picking up archeology. I also had multiple repeat troll solves very early in my leveling. So, no, that is not the reason. The claim that the RGN rerolls if you get a common that has already been solved when others are still to be unsolved is false. Fullstop.
    Quoted from the wowpedia archaeology page.
    "Subsequent instances of a given common artifact for a race will not be solvable until all the available common artifacts of that race and skill level have been found at least once."
    On iphone atm so couldnt find the actual blue post on it, but ive seen it somewhere. Theory sounds good to me.

Deleted
    From my experience: true

10+ Year Old Account
    n possible now? There is a hard cap on 200 fragments now, and you don't get skillups for digging past 50. Seems like based on that system it would be impossible to cap without solving.
    Stay in Kalimdor, which has minimal Troll Digsites, untill you can go to Outland and Northrend and stay there to 450 - should work out just fine.

Oh well i can't be bothered I'm a hunter so I need nothing of archeology (that isn't fluff stuff)

Deleted
    While playing Poker I have noticed that I consistently win if I don't play at all. This is because I usually lose more than I win when I play so if I don't play I have more money than if I did play thus wining if I don't play.

Sounds stupid? Yeah.. just like the common theory.
    I have all commons of troll and tol'vir and night elf. Funny enough, I haven't found a zinrokh after many solves past this "cheat point". My second tol'vir also happened to have been the epic ring.
    The theory is similar to any other crazy theory. Ever tried to find a pattern looking at the snowstorm of a disconnected TV? Yeah..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashysmashy View Post
    "Subsequent instances of a given common artifact for a race will not be solvable until all the available common artifacts of that race and skill level have been found at least once."
    On iphone atm so couldnt find the actual blue post on it, but ive seen it somewhere. Theory sounds good to me.
    WoWpedia is just like wikipedia, as is it's not a proper source.

TLDR: Read first few paragraphs and what I'm reading is pretty much common sense. If you want those rares get out there and get them.

Meh, seems to be true. I had 2 Zin'rokhs so far on my 85's (Shaman and pala >_>) And yet all I want is the staff for my mage and shaman. And never saw that one /sigh

10+ Year Old Account
    Turns out I have proof this isn't the case. Would you like me to post the screen shots of me having 2 of Strange Velvet Worms and working on my first Feathered Raptor Arm? And yes, that's a level 1 common.

Numerous people, myself included, have seen first-hand that this simply isn't true, whether said by a blue or just some moron posting on wowpedia.

Quote Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
    No, it means new tier will be out, along with new weapons (higher ilvl) so this weapon will no longer be BiS (or close to BiS).
    There's no new tier this patch and coupled with an unknown wait til 4.2 and no idea how easy another axe will be to come by, I'd say keep farming

Back on topic, it's a nice theory that unfortunately doesn't hold true. I was sure I'd seen somewhere that you wouldn't get multiple greys until you had them all but seems it was just Wowpedia. Myself, I lvl'd to 525 in EK before going to Kalimdor hunting for the staff and doll. Many, many solves later I still have neither so it didn't hold up for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wowpedia is obviously wrong. Either it's a true claim or it's false, there's no halfway point where it is true for some people and not for others. Multiple people have already said their experienced proved otherwise, which means it's universally false.

Quote Originally Posted by Etdrit View Post
    Stay in Kalimdor, which has minimal Troll Digsites, untill you can go to Outland and Northrend and stay there to 450 - should work out just fine.
    Ah, yes, that would work for the troll sword. I didn't realise it was only suggesting limiting troll solves for a specific rare.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2011-03-11 at 05:10 AM.

| twitch | bsky
    |

In theory, it makes sense, is well thought out, and is a good theory... but it's all for naught since the foundation of it all is a premise that is false. Which means a lot of people are regrinding archeology for nothing, which is sad considering how time consuming it is to level.
    I think he may be a little off on the logic of it, but there's no doubt that there's a higher chance of getting rares early on. It may be as simple as something Blizz coded in to "hook" newer archaeologists by giving them a higher chance of rares, only to make them ultra-rare as you get more and more solves. I lost track of how many rare solves I got before 525, and I haven't gotten a single one since despite flying all over for hours and hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by baelon View Post
    I think he may be a little off on the logic of it, but there's no doubt that there's a higher chance of getting rares early on. It may be as simple as something Blizz coded in to "hook" newer archaeologists by giving them a higher chance of rares, only to make them ultra-rare as you get more and more solves. I lost track of how many rare solves I got before 525, and I haven't gotten a single one since despite flying all over for hours and hours.
    That could definitely be true, or different rares could have different odds.

All I know is that his specific theory is wrong, and therefore I would hate for anyone to level archeology fresh on an alt for nothing.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    I agree, I had made 3 of one common before i had made all commons to that race....as a matter of fact the race was Troll...to which i still have not gotten a rare from.
    Ok, but did this happen when your skill was too low for the commons you DIDN'T have yet?

The only hard data I have is I got EVERY SINGLE Tol'vir common, one after the other, before I got a single duplicate (and lucky me, a rare ring that I used for a few months). You aren't even citing hard data. You're just throwing random info out there without stating the entire situation.

---------- Post added 2011-03-11 at 05:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by haydude View Post

Yet another person not mentioning whether or not their skill was capped yet. THIS INFO IS USELESS WITHOUT THAT.

---------- Post added 2011-03-11 at 05:35 AM ----------

I feel bad for the author if he's leveling another archeologist just to see if his theory is true, someone should tell him a survey of other players have already proven his theory false.
    So far in this thread, none of you have managed to prove anything.

---------- Post added 2011-03-11 at 05:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by godofslack View Post
    Turns out I have proof this isn't the case. Would you like me to post the screen shots of me having 2 of Strange Velvet Worms and working on my first Feathered Raptor Arm? And yes, that's a level 1 common.
    Oh look another person posting their counterproof without mentioning their skill level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DomBomb1 View Post
    Ok, but did this happen when your skill was too low for the commons you DIDN'T have yet?
    When my skill level hit 100, before I'd done a single solve of ANYTHING, my first three fossil solves were the exact same common, three times in a row. I remember it specifically because it was my first experience with archeology -- I hadn't tried it on beta -- and I didn't know if it meant solving dozens of copies of the same grey item until I got a rare or if there were different grey things. I also did some troll and dwarf solves, and got two of the same troll commons, probably somewhere around 150 or so after I'd only done a few troll solves.

Unless there is only one fossil common under skill level ~100, the theory. is. not. true.

So far in this thread, none of you have managed to prove anything.
    Are you suggesting it only rerolls for some people? Either it doesn't or it does. You can't have it both ways.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2011-03-11 at 05:47 AM.

| twitch | bsky
    |