Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I keep seeing comments like this, but what other than level scaling was truly wrong with Oblivion? I keep wondering that. In your opinion, anyways, what is wrong with it I mean. You can get a few fantastic mods out there that remove level scaling from Oblivion, and Skyrim won't have level scaling.
    I don't mind level scaling, so that doesn't affect me. The problem I, personally, have with Oblivion is that it's just not that immersive for me. That is compounded by the fact that I have to jump everywhere if I want to be able to jump remotely well (i.e. the skill system is too... tedious for me). I'm actually one of the few people who like level scaling, I find it hilarious that that bunny I killed at level 1 just ate my face, teach me to run away.

Usually, when I play an RPG, if it grabs me within the first couple hours, I'll play it through to the end. But if it just doesn't lure me in within that time, or hell if I stick it out for five hours and still nothing, it just has no place on my computer. I'm not saying it's a bad game, just not for me.

I loved Oblivion and I'm excited for Skyrim as well. I haven't played Morrowind but I will get to it soon. I guess some people didn't like how leveling skills was (Like to improve your jumping skill you had to jump a lot.) but I really loved that about it. I'm a guy that can never stop jumping, so at the end of my playtime I could jump over buildings practically and it was just quite fun.

Also, my run skill was amazing because... I had no idea you could fast travel to places for a good chunk of my playtime. I ran back and forth and didn't even own a horse. But I do understand why some people wouldn't like the game. It was perfect for me though.

Edit: Wanted to add real quick that I wouldn't mind if Skyrim was very similar to Oblivion just to make sure we're still talking about it. As long as it's mostly Oblivion with some added touches I'll love it. I expect it to still be buggy, but call me crazy, I'm rather accustomed to the weird bugs and sometimes even enjoy them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I keep seeing comments like this, but what other than level scaling was truly wrong with Oblivion? I keep wondering that. In your opinion, anyways, what is wrong with it I mean. You can get a few fantastic mods out there that remove level scaling from Oblivion, and Skyrim won't have level scaling.
    The very weak and lacking story and plot. The plot in Shivering Isles was hodgepodge mess jumbled together that in the end resembled something as horrid as a picasso painting, and the complete devoid of meaningful characters or relationships.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Dragon age 2 is better :|
    I like how you judge a game before it's out, even better, compare it to a dumbed down version of DA:O (But I noticed you don't like Bethesda, yet praise Dragon Age 2, which was also a dissapointment according to many fans, but when BioWare did it, it doesn't count, right?)

---------- Post added 2011-03-15 at 09:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    I really really hope Bethesda would make it more like Morrowind, rather than Oblivion.
    In Oblivion all PC models were made too human-like (even Khajiit and Argonian), and all 'domestic' models too real-life like (that's not a good thing). Dunmeri lost their unique voices and characters, becoming humans with a different skin color. Altmeri suddenly went from nobility to arrogant-without-a-reason humans.
    The only place where Oblivion was unlike other games was the Planes of Oblivion, but you had to go through so many of them that it got repetitive and boring.

In oblivion there are many dungeons that are not hand made, and it feels that way after you're in your 15th cave/fort and it looks just the same as orevious 14, with a bit different rooms layout.

To add to this, mods/add-ons can mold Morrowind into whatever you want it to be, but it was not the case with Oblivion. Even the biggest conversion packs (not sure if that's the right term) like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul couldn't make that game enjoyable to play for a long time (for me).
    That's cause you didn't know nothing about the mod community, Nehrim's: At Fate's edge is a Total Conversion, basically a new game (No, really), that's way better than Morrowind or Oblivion unmodded. (Maybe not that good, but definitely enormous, it is a new game after all)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyistheguy View Post
    I loved Oblivion and I'm excited for Skyrim as well. I haven't played Morrowind but I will get to it soon. I guess some people didn't like how leveling skills was (Like to improve your jumping skill you had to jump a lot.) but I really loved that about it. I'm a guy that can never stop jumping, so at the end of my playtime I could jump over buildings practically and it was just quite fun.

Also, my run skill was amazing because... I had no idea you could fast travel to places for a good chunk of my playtime. I ran back and forth and didn't even own a horse. But I do understand why some people wouldn't like the game. It was perfect for me though.

Edit: Wanted to add real quick that I wouldn't mind if Skyrim was very similar to Oblivion just to make sure we're still talking about it. As long as it's mostly Oblivion with some added touches I'll love it. I expect it to still be buggy, but call me crazy, I'm rather accustomed to the weird bugs and sometimes even enjoy them.
    No, that's not what people mean by the crappy leveling system. What they mean is that in order to efficiently level and not get outscaled by monsters at high levels, you had to pick majors that you weren't going to use often in order to control what stats got leveled when.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTKF View Post
    I like how you judge a game before it's out, even better, compare it to a dumbed down version of DA:O (But I noticed you don't like Bethesda, yet praise Dragon Age 2, which was also a dissapointment according to many fans, but when BioWare did it, it doesn't count, right?)[COLOR="red"]
    Absolute majority liked it. Besides I don't hate bethesda.

i really hope they create unique dungeon models this time and make them better than Oblivion. they were awful in Oblivion imo

Quote Originally Posted by Spurmwhale View Post
    i really hope they create unique dungeon models this time and make them better than Oblivion. they were awful in Oblivion imo
    They will. Apologies if it was already said in this thread, but in Oblivion there was only 1 dungeon designer. Skyrim will have 8.
    "Bethesda promise that the game’s dungeons will be much more varied than they were in Oblivion. Where Oblivion had one dungeon designer, Skyrim has eight. The team will be working on keeping Skyrim’s dungeons varied with puzzles and traps, to ensure that “no two areas are alike.” An example of one such dungeon is the Bleak Falls Barrows, which features ancient Nord catacombs carved between huge tree roots and underground rivers. There will be 120 dungeons in total. "

Looking at the trailer you can see a variety of dungeons.

1:35
    1:37
    1:43
    1:46
    1:47

The first two look the same to me. The rest could be (look) different.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    No, that's not what people mean by the crappy leveling system. What they mean is that in order to efficiently level and not get outscaled by monsters at high levels, you had to pick majors that you weren't going to use often in order to control what stats got leveled when.
    Ah. Honestly, I'm not the greatest RPG guy in the world so that kind of idea never even occurred to me. I admit it was hard to get by at one point in the game, but then something happened and made it a breeze. I think I do kinda agree with you now that I think of it, it is a bit weird.

One of my worries is that Skyrim is being developed for the Xbox360 and only being ported to the PC. That means the UI will probably be garbage, just Oblivion. I don't want to scroll down pages and pages to see all my items. I want a nice, clean, 12-point font. DarnifiedUI fixes this for PC Oblivion, but it could take months for a mod like that to come out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skyrim vs. Mike Tyson's Punchout

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accaris View Post
    One of my worries is that Skyrim is being developed for the Xbox360 and only being ported to the PC. That means the UI will probably be garbage, just Oblivion. I don't want to scroll down pages and pages to see all my items. I want a nice, clean, 12-point font. DarnifiedUI fixes this for PC Oblivion, but it could take months for a mod like that to come out.
    Well I really like the Skyrim menu so far:

Looks so much better than the oblivion menu.
    Here's a full article:
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/th...-overhaul.aspx

I hope they learned some good lessons from Oblivion. After the disappointment of DA2 though, and the way the industry is heading, I'm looking at every upcoming game from any developer with skepticism.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    I'll have to disagree on that menu. Sure it's pretty to look at but sidescrolling has never been my thing, I prefer to have clear overview over everything at once in a simplistic manner. Morrowind had really awesome and easy to use menu system for PC, while Skyrim type of UI is obviously better suited for consoles and gamepad since they lack quick, accurate mouse-like control.

There, even at low resolution everything important is presented about stats, skills and misc info such as level, race, class. You can get very good idea with one quick look-out. Same goes with inventory, it was really easy to use and nicely divided into obvious subclasses. I wish they'd redo Skyrim's UI for PC to be more like as Morrowind had but that would be too much hassle and not cost-effective which means it's empty dream.

Oh cheese, I have school for 1 month after the game comes out =[

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post

Looks so much better than the oblivion menu.
    Here's a full article:
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/th...-overhaul.aspx
    That is definitely a console menu. If that carries over to the PC or not is yet to be determined though. If that was on PC, it would be terrible. Would obviously be a console port. I hate scrolling in the options without being able to use my mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    That is definitely a console menu. If that carries over to the PC or not is yet to be determined though. If that was on PC, it would be terrible. Would obviously be a console port. I hate scrolling in the options without being able to use my mouse.
    You would probably be able to use the scrolling button on the mouse... Can always click as well.

Scrolling with anything is stupid on a PC title. You should be able to see all of the options on 1 screen and just be able to click on whatever you want. I don't want to scroll and LOOK for what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    I played oblivion for about an hour before deleting it. I wasn't impressed at all. No feeling, no character, just a huge world with no personality whatsoever.
    Oblivion is the only game in the past 6 years that kept me away from WoW for more than a year.

To each his own I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15