Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

WoW's total /played is 5.93 million years

Soooource
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...reel_lifeStyle

Google gives several other interviews as well. Though I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are.

Hundreds of millions of people around the globe are already devoting larger and larger chunks of time to this alternate reality. Collectively, we spend three billion hours a week gaming. In the United States, where there are 183 million active gamers, videogames took in about $15.5 billion last year. And though a typical gamer plays for just an hour or two a day, there are now more than five million "extreme" gamers in the U.S. who play an average of 45 hours a week. To put this in perspective, the number of hours that gamers world-wide have spent playing "World of Warcraft" alone adds up to 5.93 million years.
    5.93 million years with 10~ million subscribers.. That's pretty decent I guess. Someone do some math here to find average playtime, I can't be arsed!
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    5.93 million years with 10~ million subscribers.. That's pretty decent I guess. Someone do some math here to find average playtime, I can't be arsed!
    I think the only way to do the calculation accurately would be to have some sort of time sense. WoW didnt' launch with 10 million players so is it 5.93 million years since it launched (which the per user /played would be nearly impossible to calculate) or was it the 10 million subscribers playing 5.93 million years using their /played in the last week as a baseline value?

EDIT -- if you want a flat average of 5.93 million years with 365 days/year and 24 hours/day with 10 million users you end up with 5194.68 hours average /played
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

was this article about WoW? or about games in general

because i highly doubt people play 45 hours a week.this game is a casual mmo,and casuals normally arent active

Deleted
    Not to mention the /played from bots who sometimes run 24/7 without stop and multiboxers which are becoming increasingly more common these days. There is no way to even begin to accurately measure the /played time of all Wow players together.

Deleted
    Average playtime is 5.194,68 hours, or approximately 216,4 days. Done!

I approve this article. Though, numbers are the most manipulatable form of facts ever.

Not everyone plays 45 hours a week. But I will freely admit I have come close to that (if not more than that) before. This game has casuals and hard core players.

The math isn't that difficult actually. 5.93 million years / 10 million people = .593 years per person or a little over 7 months (or roughly 4700 hours).

---------- Post added 2011-03-15 at 08:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post

because i highly doubt people play 45 hours a week.this game is a casual mmo,and casuals normally arent active
    It's an average. You have those casuals who play 5 or 6 hours a week and those hardcore players who play probably 12 - 15 hours a day.

that's a lot of wasted time

Deleted
    O.o that's insane lol

Jesus, that's a lot of hours

You forget that 11 million is the CURRENT number of subscribers. Past subscribers, who quit the game in the past and haven't been playing for a long time aren't included in that figure. The average number will be a LOT lower if you take past subscribers into account as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post

casual to u maybe

And though a typical gamer plays for just an hour or two a day, there are now more than five million "extreme" gamers in the U.S. who play an average of 45 hours a week. To put this in perspective, the number of hours that gamers world-wide have spent playing "World of Warcraft" alone adds up to 5.93 million years.
    Unreliable number because they averaged.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Evolution

someone stopped it

i'm way above the average btw, that's sad oO

5.93 million years
    Thats Damn depressing when you consider its achieved Nothing, lol.

on a lighter note
    http://www.howecaverns.com/6millionyearsago

Achieved

It has achieved 5.93 millon years many of us else would be quite bored.

Well that is human evolution well spent! ^^ but really, 5.93 million hours O.o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao_tzu View Post
    Thats Damn depressing when you consider its achieved Nothing, lol.
    It has achieved joy to people that play the game. Less or more depending on players of course.

Imagine if you spent ALL those or just HALF of these hours per weeks doing overtime at jobs you would be
    a) in burnout
    b) Richie Rich
    c) grinding another game

---------- Post added 2011-03-15 at 06:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by boonoob View Post
    It has achieved joy to people that play the game. Less or more depending on players of course.
    Still its worth some joy but imagine if each players devoted oen hours per week collectively instead of playign the game fot that said hour Haiti woul dbe reconstructed and japan would be back to normal in one month lol