Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    The problem many viewers are having is that GRRM is breaking the unspoken rules of plot development that TV shows have been displaying. Good guys can have a bad time at first and be in a very diminished position, but when they go for vengeance, shit gets real.
    GRRM is also a TV screenwriter, he knows the tricks of the trade. And what he did with ASoIaF is a deconstruction (at least partial) of how plot develops. Realistically speaking, people who get in a very diminished position normally keep getting into a worse and worse position. The larger army usually wins. The most ruthless people usually win because they have more means in their arsenal (the things that the good guys aren't willing to do).

GRRM is deconstructing medieval fantasy into a realistic medieval setting with spare elements fantasy.
    A Song of Ice and Fire has always been about creating a realistic world with fantasy elements, where being goodhearted doesn't win the throne. Should have learned that in Season 1.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    A Song of Ice and Fire has always been about creating a realistic world with fantasy elements, where being goodhearted doesn't win the throne. Should have learned that in Season 1.
    Because of being too genre-savvy, people were misled thinking that first season ended on the lowest point for the Starks, and that from that point thereon, they would be making their path to revenge. That was reinforced at some points, even on this very episode, when Cat and Rob are back to trusting each other again, and promising they will take away from the Lannisters everything they love.

This deception is, i think, intentional, to make people think "i think my favourite character will not get killed after all": Robb himself had some pretty strong plot armor, up until the RW. I think is intentional because it creates a most powerful emotional shock when said character is killed. And feeling powerful emotions "hooks" us. We get a chemical high from that, whether the emotion is positive or negative.
    This is why it's not so... stupid, to compare watching GoT with an abusive relationship. The addiction to the physiological effects of powerful negative emotions is the same.

When i read the RW, i didn't throw the book away, mostly becase my ebook wasn't cheap for my pocket. But i had to watch several MLP episodes to find comfort* XD lol.

*this is a half joke

Deleted
    Am I the only one who didn't have a crazy over reaction when they read the Red Wedding? It was literally "huh, didn't see that coming", that was it. I read about other peoples reactions and i'm amazed people can have these sorts of reactions over reading a book, or watching a tv series.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Slight aside from the Red Wedding itself, after watching the epic spear and shield skills of Grey Worm I demand more fight scenes with him involved, man's absolutely brilliant.
    This. Awesome choreography. The other two guys looked like they were fumbling with sticks compared to Grey Worm, although they were pretty sweet on their own.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't have a crazy over reaction when they read the Red Wedding? It was literally "huh, didn't see that coming", that was it. I read about other peoples reactions and i'm amazed people can have these sorts of reactions over reading a book, or watching a tv series.
    You enjoy it more when you let yourself get involved in the story and emotionally attached to the characters otherwise it would be like reading a history book... more or less gratifying, but hardly something to write home about lol.

---------- Post added 2013-06-04 at 09:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    This. Awesome choreography. The other two guys looked like they were fumbling with sticks compared to Grey Worm, although they were pretty sweet on their own.
    I have to say i love Jorah's fighting style. It looks a lot more to what fighting with a longsword and armor is (was) IRL, while the Daario's dothraki-jedi style and Grey Worm's naked-300 one are highly stylized and choreographied. True, looks rugged and a bit clumsy, but it's also extremely potent and precise.
    Last edited by mmoca165b6ca3d; 2013-06-04 at 09:35 AM.

You enjoy it more when you let yourself get involved in the story and emotionally attached to the characters otherwise it would be like reading a history book... more or less gratifying, but hardly something to write home about lol.

---------- Post added 2013-06-04 at 09:35 AM ----------

I have to say i love Jorah's fighting style. It looks a lot more to what fighting with a longsword and armor is (was) IRL, while the Daario's dothraki-jedi style and Grey Worm's naked-300 one are highly stylized and choreographied. True, looks rugged and a bit clumsy, but it's also extremely potent and precise.
    This is true. I thougt of Grey Worm as a clumsy rambo style character, effective but brutal. It's actually quite the opposite. When he was fighting with shield and spear his movement was fluid and looked very choreographed indeed. Almost like a surgeon. Defend, counter strike, give them no opening. Big props.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2013-06-04 at 09:49 AM.

Deleted

Because of being too genre-savvy, people were misled thinking that first season ended on the lowest point for the Starks, and that from that point thereon, they would be making their path to revenge. That was reinforced at some points, even on this very episode, when Cat and Rob are back to trusting each other again, and promising they will take away from the Lannisters everything they love.

This deception is, i think, intentional, to make people think "i think my favourite character will not get killed after all": Robb himself had some pretty strong plot armor, up until the RW. I think is intentional because it creates a most powerful emotional shock when said character is killed. And feeling powerful emotions "hooks" us. We get a chemical high from that, whether the emotion is positive or negative.
    This is why it's not so... stupid, to compare watching GoT with an abusive relationship. The addiction to the physiological effects of powerful negative emotions is the same.

When i read the RW, i didn't throw the book away, mostly becase my ebook wasn't cheap for my pocket. But i had to watch several MLP episodes to find comfort* XD lol.

*this is a half joke
    I agree but the neat result for me is that after Ned Stark I lost another favorite character and there is no one left ... As someone mentioned before emotional attachment to characters is usually very important thing ( it's definitely very important for me ) for a reader / viewer. It's something that keep you interested and motivates you to keep on reading ( watching ). Right now I feel like empty space inside me ( I dont want to sound too dramatic )

There is still a chance that Arya will step up and will look for the vengeance but seeing her still as little kid that's far far away ... I am considering to focus my attention on Jamie who has quite potential and his character will probably "evolve" differently after losing his hand ( judging from the scene when he jumped to the bear pit to save Brienne )

We will see ... as most DK say - tomorrow is another day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Ygritte #1.
    That girl should eat a sammich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raivosoturi View Post
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AWpk43q.jpg[IMG]

I agree with this guy.
    I lol'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakaji View Post
    I'm having a dilemma now. We're coming up on the last episode of the season, meaning we'll have to wait another year to see more of the story. I really want to start reading the books so I don't have to wait that long, but at the same time I don't want to spoil the show for myself either. Also, I know a lot of readers of the books that are all in the "waiting for the Winds of Winter" boat, and I'm not sure that's where I want to be too.
    I'm in that boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    It was highlighted, but I don't think they could have highlighted it more without people starting to expect the hospitality to be broken. It's also mostly highlighted after it's done really, with everybody hating Freys.
    I think the bread and salt could have been mentioned more clearly in an earlier episode. So it wouldn't have been too obvious in the same episode.

What is the current status of the Tully family now, btw? I am a bit confused.... What happened to Bryndan and Edmure? Was Edmure killed off screen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    What is the current status of the Tully family now, btw? I am a bit confused.... What happened to Bryndan and Edmure? Was Edmure killed off screen?
    Taken as prisoner, used as leverage for the seige of the Eary.
    Eventually a full time prisoner in Casterley Rock, with his wife and children.

But who knows, maybe they will kill him off like so many other characters that had a longer role...

The problem many viewers are having is that GRRM is breaking the unspoken rules of plot development that TV shows have been displaying. Good guys can have a bad time at first and be in a very diminished position, but when they go for vengeance, shit gets real.
    GRRM is also a TV screenwriter, he knows the tricks of the trade. And what he did with ASoIaF is a deconstruction (at least partial) of how plot develops. Realistically speaking, people who get in a very diminished position normally keep getting into a worse and worse position. The larger army usually wins. The most ruthless people usually win because they have more means in their arsenal (the things that the good guys aren't willing to do).

GRRM is deconstructing medieval fantasy into a realistic medieval setting with spare elements fantasy.
    And after three seasons of watching the 'good guys' generally get completely screwed over at every turn, with the only minor comeuppance being the loss of a hand, it does start to wear thin as a viewer. I think that is part of the outrage just as much as the graphic nature of what happened.

In 29 hours of tv, you've had about 10 minutes of "fuck yeah!".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post

But who knows, maybe they will kill him off like so many other characters that had a longer role...
    It's actually Riverrun. Brynden never attended the Red Wedding in the books but stayed back in Riverrun which he held until he surrendered it to Jaime. He then escapes by swimming down the river. However, on the show... ¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    And after three seasons of watching the 'good guys' generally get completely screwed over at every turn, with the only minor comeuppance being the loss of a hand, it does start to wear thin as a viewer. I think that is part of the outrage just as much as the graphic nature of what happened.

I always go "fuck yeah" whenever Dany does something.

The blackfish wasn't at the twins in the books, someone had to be left behind to guard their backs. He being the most seasoned commander was choosen for that job.

---------- Post added 2013-06-04 at 01:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post

Watch the spoilers my man. ;P
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post

I always go "fuck yeah" whenever Dany does something.
    She will burn them all.... I can't wait for the day she moves into battle

Deleted
    She will burn them all.... I can't wait for the day she moves into battle
    Soon™
    Last edited by mmocf432157f0e; 2013-06-04 at 01:20 PM.

What I am looking for are remaining allies of the Starks who have enough influence to do something. Some sort of revenge for what happened. I could also see a change in Sansa and her using Tyrion and Littlefinger to plot something.

Littlefinger sure isn't going to be amused when he hears that the woman he loves got murdered by the Lennisters.

---------- Post added 2013-06-04 at 01:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Soon™
    Don't say that. It's unconfirmed book rumors... it really has no place in this thread.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2013-06-04 at 01:44 PM.

Deleted
    Don't say that. It's unconfirmed book rumors... it really has no place in this thread.
    Yeah. Delete that. Thought I was in the spoiler thread :/ Even though it wasn't a spoiler...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post

It's just getting started...

This was one episode I was really looking forward too in the entire season, well hoping it would have been this season.

The books give you a very detailed and complete picture. I thought the Red Wedding was done very poorly and executed half heartedly. The acting was terrible. The entire scene felt rushed.

I don't really know if its just me but I some how am felling plots since mid season 2 are being rushed through. Season 3 especially has just been rushed through all the plots. Also the level of acting that we've come to experience has dropped considerably in season 3. It seems so unnatural compared to season 1 and 2.

There is a reason why the LoTR movies were so greatly liked. They stayed true to the books for the most part and also they captured a lot of what was written in the books. Peter Jackson did a really good job bringing the scene to life on the big screen just as you would imagine it in the books.

The Red Wedding episode was really a complete let down. I've never been critical of the series but was very disappointed the last 2-3 episodes.