Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    Japan is a strong country. They handled the situation well. wasn't the earthquake bigger than the 2004 one? And that killed millions.
    wow wow wow, don't get ahead of ourselfes now. The 2004 Indian ocean earthquack and tsunami was a 9.1 event, while the one in Japan was a 8.9. Also, ~200.000 people died back in 2004, no where near a million. But yes, you are right about that the death toll is going to much smaller in comparison, which is all thanks to all the preparation Japan have done towards when this would happen.
    Even all the nuclear shit going on right now. The Chernobyl incident was a level 7 nuclear disaster, and only 30 people died back then, and that was only because they were in close range when it went off or tried to regain control afterwards.
    Then he fapped to his own pseudo-intellectualism and no one ever loved him. Ever.

The End

@Garnik.. it was a 9.0. Only America is to stubborn to recognise it as such.

Quote Originally Posted by ryoukthebloodelf View Post
    I've read Flyboys i know exactly what they did in ww2 and i think most ppl just like the 1960's and on japan
    Yeah see, the real injustice is that nowadays people put Japan on a pedestal and criticize China's government for its "human rights violations". Well, killing hundreds of thousands of people in a country that wasn't even at war with you at the time is a "human rights violation" too. But no, people nowadays either are ignorant of that or let it slide for some reason. The real shocker to me, and something nobody in the western world talks about, is that China has actually been donating a lot of fuel, supplies, and emergency money to Japan since the earthquake, even when it's got no reason to when you consider their past histories.

---------- Post added 2011-03-16 at 02:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Benitora View Post
    We can't hold onto the past forever when it comes to these things.
    So what if they did those gruesome things during the second world war?
    How many of those are still alive today?
    Should we continue to bash Germany for the horrible things they did? Of course not.
    Should we continue to hate USA for bombing them with two nukes?
    Of course not.
    Past is past.
    Get over it.
    Uh, because the nuking of Japan was completely unprovoked right? You go around saying things like Japan was going its merry way minding its own business when it suddenly got the bombs dropped on them.

And yeah, you ABSOLUTELY DO hold on to the past when it comes to these things, otherwise people forget they ever happened and are surely doomed to repeat these things in the future. Hell, if a country tries to pull this kind of **** nowadays it'd be declared public enemy #1 by every other country in the world. Just think Taliban + North Korea + various Sub-Saharan African warlords, add them together, and multiply it by 100. That's the magnitude of what happened back then.
    Last edited by spanishninja; 2011-03-16 at 10:56 PM.

Question

Edit: Nevermind, I see we can only praise how great the Japanese are in this thread. Carry on.
    Last edited by beanburrito; 2011-03-16 at 11:04 PM.

I remember a particularly heartbreaking thing my grandma told me about her escape from Shanghai to Hong Kong after the Japanese invaded. I mean, monetarily of course they lost everything. But her voice was also forever damaged from all the crying she did during the aftermath. She has talked with a very raspy voice for as long as I've known her. I think she would love to thank Japan personally for their "high regard of honor".

Quote Originally Posted by Dariela View Post
    I refuse to draw my lines at "English speaking" and "countryman", as tho some how being born on one side of an imaginary line makes the people less worthy of care.
    They are not less worthy of care, they should be cared for by their fellow countrymen however if you wish to send them aid that is your choice.

However Why should your narrow minded views impose your will on our government to send my tax dollars to help another country when our own has just as many problems that actually have a negative impact on your life and the lives of those around you.

of course any sensible person would have a priority list that starts off looking something like
    Self/family/community/ own country/...../....../......

---------- Post added 2011-03-16 at 11:13 PM ----------

Go to China and ask them how "honorable" the Japanese are. I'm sick of you people who know nothing about the horrible things the Japanese did. They slaughtered more Chinese civilians than the Nazis did to the Jews, yet is that ever mentioned on the History(LOL more like hitler) channel or talked about in school? No.
    China is a communist country who's inhabitants eat dog, both things Americans find distasteful and or sickening

Hell we imprison pro athletes for for making dogs fight each other and you expect us to have love for a country that beats the animals into a coma and then skins them alive before dicing them up and frying them all the while recording it all and posting it on youtube ?.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizards Hat View Post
    The accidents in the US and in Sweden (Long Island I think it was in the US or something else ending with Island, and Forsmark in Sweden) were caused by human error, and are the worst recorded nuclear power accidents after Tjernobyl.
    You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, the accident in Forsmark in sweden was caused because the backup power generators didn't work and the reason why it actually didn't became a big catastrophic event was because of competent employees. Luckily they where experienced and kept calm so they could figure out what went wrong and how to solve it.

edit: corrected a spelling error

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Because in north america we never got hit by a bomb that wiped us all out, it forced them to work together and it just stuck with them.
    I'm almost 150% sure that Japanese people didn't get there honor and social/family values as a direct result of us bombing them. It also didn't wipe us all out.

PS; See Pearl Harbor
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Deleted
    Japanese people, fun, likeable, different type of honour than us westerners...actually we westerners dont have any honour left, atleast not from what I've seen....WTB Gentlemen and 'knights in shining armour' back.
    Also people trying to justify war and the atrocities committed during the time of war....it's like trying to justify murdering someone in cold blood, while rest of the world is watching.
    Just lulzy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    This doesn't correlate to being "terrible." Japan places a much larger amount of stress on its youth than is normally seen in the western world.
    The stress is because they hate their youth, yes, they actively hate their newer generations.

With youth comes individuality, with that comes poor business management, and that is something the Japanese hate above all else.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post

China is a communist country who's inhabitants eat dog, both things Americans find distasteful and or sickening

Hell we imprison pro athletes for for making dogs fight each other and you expect us to have love for a country that beats the animals into a coma and then skins them alive before dicing them up and frying them all the while recording it all and posting it on youtube ?.
    I told myself not to post in this thread, but wow your post goes beyond asinine. How can you even compare the brutal slaughter of millions, millions of innocent civilians to a culture's choice of food? Do you know what happens to cows, chickens, pigs in USA?

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    They are not less worthy of care, they should be cared for by their fellow countrymen however if you wish to send them aid that is your choice.

However Why should your narrow minded views impose your will on our government to send my tax dollars to help another country when our own has just as many problems that actually have a negative impact on your life and the lives of those around you.

of course any sensible person would have a priority list that starts off looking something like
    Self/family/community/ own country/...../....../......

---------- Post added 2011-03-16 at 11:13 PM ----------

So you're saying it's ok to not like a country because they eat an animal you don't eat, possibly revere? OK, glad to know that Indian people have free pass to hate all Americans then because we are eating million of tons of their gods daily. What's that? Americans eat pork too? Well then, looks like all Muslims have a reason to hate us too!

Now, I will stress that the Japanese earthquakes have been a great tragedy to humankind as a whole, so don't get me twisted. I am mostly speaking out against the double standards by which people view countries.
    Last edited by spanishninja; 2011-03-16 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    Uh, because the nuking of Japan was completely unprovoked right? You go around saying things like Japan was going its merry way minding its own business when it suddenly got the bombs dropped on them.

And yeah, you ABSOLUTELY DO hold on to the past when it comes to these things, otherwise people forget they ever happened and are surely doomed to repeat these things in the future. Hell, if a country tries to pull this kind of **** nowadays it'd be declared public enemy #1 by every other country in the world. Just think Taliban + North Korea + various Sub-Saharan African warlords, add them together, and multiply it by 100. That's the magnitude of what happened back then.
    If we are going to constantly going to hold ourselves in the past with countries which conflicts where resolved, we would be paranoid 100% of the time.
    The world can't function like that.
    Do I hate Germans today even though I know their soldiers did horrible horrible things to my great grandmothers family?
    No. It was freaking WAR. And in War, people do evil evil things.

Holding the Japanese accountable TODAY for things they did 70 years ago is STUPID. Especially when the conflict was, as said earlier, resolved.
    Japan today is peaceful. Going around spreading shit they did 70 years ago is not going to change that.

Once the Taliban thing is resolved, I'll not hold any grudge to those who strive for the future. Hold them accountable for things that happened in the past forever, they will not progress.
    If North Korea get's their shit together and opens their borders for more peaceful actions, I'm willing to let go of the fact that they had a warmongering leader.
    Without trust, the world cannot function. Saying that a country once did this and that to create paranoia is not helping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Benitora View Post
    If we are going to constantly going to hold ourselves in the past with countries which conflicts where resolved, we would be paranoid 100% of the time.
    The world can't function like that.
    Do I hate Germans today even though I know their soldiers did horrible horrible things to my great grandmothers family?
    No. It was freaking WAR. And in War, people do evil evil things.

Holding the Japanese accountable TODAY for things they did 70 years ago is STUPID. Especially when the conflict was, as said earlier, resolved.
    Japan today is peaceful. Going around spreading shit they did 70 years ago is not going to change that.

Once the Taliban thing is resolved, I'll not hold any grudge to those who strive for the future. Hold them accountable for things that happened in the past forever, they will not progress.
    If North Korea get's their shit together and opens their borders for more peaceful actions, I'm willing to let go of the fact that they had a warmongering leader.
    Without trust, the world cannot function. Saying that a country once did this and that to create paranoia is not helping.
    OK, so if some country massacres 20 million of your country's people it will be perfectly OK 70 years from now? And let me just add that the chinese weren't just killed during that time, they were pretty much considered sub-human in the eyes of the Japanese. It was a product of excessive ambition to prove themselves as the dominant people of the region. Just because the war is over doesn't mean that modern Japanese might not still hold themselves to such nationalistic values. You don't go from firmly believing that your people are chosen by god (your emperor) to rule Asia to suddenly being timid little puppy dogs. How can you truly know what's going on inside a person's head anyway?

I'm not advocating "hating" any country for their past misdeeds, but always keep it in mind, never forget, and EDUCATE people on what happened.

The English used to do that during WWII (and before). Over time helping your neighbour in a time of crisis became lost, replacing itself with every man for himself.

The Japanese are an inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    Jesus Christ, we arnt living the 1600's here people despite what you may think Japan is much like other developed countries, the reason they do not go bat shit crazy when disasters occur is the fact that they are used to them, definitely not on the scale but the principle is the same, you are all acting like the Japanese are in some way much "simpler" than the rest of the world.
    No one is used to tsunamis like that, wtf is wrong with you?

OK, so if some country massacres 20 million of your country's people it will be perfectly OK 70 years from now? And let me just add that the chinese weren't just killed during that time, they were pretty much considered sub-human in the eyes of the Japanese.
    How were the jews viewed by the Germans? Exactly.

OK, so if some country massacres 20 million of your country's people it will be perfectly OK 70 years from now? And let me just add that the chinese weren't just killed during that time, they were pretty much considered sub-human in the eyes of the Japanese. It was a product of excessive ambition to prove themselves as the dominant people of the region. Just because the war is over doesn't mean that modern Japanese might not still hold themselves to such nationalistic values. You don't go from firmly believing that your people are chosen by god (your emperor) to rule Asia to suddenly being timid little puppy dogs. How can you truly know what's going on inside a person's head anyway?

I'm not advocating "hating" any country for their past misdeeds, but always keep it in mind, never forget, and EDUCATE people on what happened.
    If someone massacred 20 million of my people, that would mean Norway, even Scandinavia would cease to exist, so sure, I'd be pissed.
    However, if let's say, they killed round about a million of Norways population TODAY, if it was WAR, and in 70 years, presuming I'm still alive, I wouldn't condone the new generation of people.
    You do not hold the son responsible for the fathers sins.

Sure, you can educate people what happened, but sure as hell do not even give in to the possibility that they would do the same today.
    Wherever or not the Japanese looked upon the Chinese as a "minor race", it does not change that they are a new generation of Japanese, not the old war mongering machine as they where.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

This exactly. The reason I brought up what the Japanese did to the Chinese in the first place was to educate those in this thread who seem to believe Japan has always been an honorable country. That is simply NOT TRUE. We have vilified the Nazis and everyone knows what they did, no one would dare say "Germany has always been a respectable, honorable country". I understand completely that the Japanese are different NOW, but saying statements that insult the memory of millions of people is very offensive to me.

And for the record I don't hate Japan. I did the text 10 dollar donation myself just yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator2009 View Post
    I think I've had enough threads about Japan. Regardless of what anyone's intentions may be when making a topic, it just ends up being a bunch of garbage after the trolls chime in.
    It's trolling to have a different opinion then everyone else? News to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    The stress is because they hate their youth, yes, they actively hate their newer generations.

With youth comes individuality, with that comes poor business management, and that is something the Japanese hate above all else.
    It's not even that specific. Coming from a Japanese house, I was expected to do everything perfectly the way my parents (mother) wanted. School, activities, hobbies, hell even the people I wanted to date had to be perfect or I would never hear the end of it. And not just from my parents, either, but their siblings, and their parents, and so on.

Less than perfect marks and you would think it was the end of the world, my life ruined because of one test on which I missed a question.