Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Leveling Combat-Mount System

Basically, to keep it simple, this is a system, which allows players who obtain mounts, to level them as a Hunter class would level their pet. Each mount obtainable has different trainable abilities to use for offense and defense in ground or aerial combat situations.

The system would require some work, but with the proper mechanic balances (yes, it requires MORE balancing), this could actually prove to be a very interesting system. Think about it! A full out assault from not only game NPC enemies, but also opposing players as you're riding through, or flying over Azeroth! Talk about game of the year!

Questions? Comments? Let me know what you think!

(Also for mods, feel free to put this in it's otherwise appropriate thread, if this is not the correct location for posting this)

EDIT: I see immediately, people are getting the idea that this is just like jousting. No it is not. This system would provide trainable mount abilities and perhaps talent trees that would allow you to customize your mount (like a pet) to your liking. This is not limited to buttons 1-5 and instead would offer a whole new action bar for mount-specific abilities. Players will NOT be able to cast primary class abilities while mounted.
    Last edited by Felaful; 2011-03-17 at 09:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine the benefits that ranged players will have if this is implemented...

don't really like it that much, can see some use in pvp, but in pve it hasn't got much use. just to charge in, let your horse use an ability and then dismount to continue the 12 minute fight seems a bit pointless. and if you mean like raiding and killing bosses while mounted, that would be lame. how about heroic leap, leap of faith, dash, charge, sprint...?

Nono, dont get me wrong. The mounts have different abilities, as hunter pets do. Players would only be able to use the abilities their mount provides, not their primary class abilities.

I can hear the mass Q.Q already from the future forums if this went through, cool as it would be it still wouldn't really work. Unless maybe they made a special battleground and battle mounts only usable there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felaful View Post
    Nono, dont get me wrong. The mounts have different abilities, as hunter pets do. Players would only be able to use the abilities their mount provides, not their primary class abilities.
    Ah...So you mean strictly mount-on-mount combat? Like the catapult mounts from Wintergrasp and what not? Will players have access to their skill?

---------- Post added 2011-03-17 at 08:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenesss View Post
    Unless maybe they made a special battleground and battle mounts only usable there.
    This would be fun!

10+ Year Old Account
    unfortunatly if blizz did this they would make it like jousting, which was pretty painful imo, but, if it worked out as you describe it, it would be pretty cool, maybe not for WoW though

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenesss View Post
    I can hear the mass Q.Q already from the future forums if this went through, cool as it would be it still wouldn't really work. Unless maybe they made a special battleground and battle mounts only usable there.
    Again, each mount has different attack/defense abilities that are provided while riding them. Like with the argent chargers while doing the dailies there, you can only use the abilities provided by the mount, you cannot cast primary class abilities while mounted. This is no different on a PVP server than going into a contested territory as a level 85 and ganking a level 20. It would definitely require balancing, but otherwise, i dont see how it could be an issue.

so basically it's just call of the champion all over again, in that perspective, i like the different abilities for each different mount (since i got over 60). but yeah, if there's a special mode/bg/zone for it, it would work, maybe a new dungeon and like 1 raid boss (something like OS or RS, nothingn big). than yes, but world pvp other pvp and raids, would be pretty hard to balance etc.

P.S. also: healing horses?

[QUOTE=istheshiz;10781243]Ah...So you mean strictly mount-on-mount combat? Like the catapult mounts from Wintergrasp and what not? Will players have access to their skill?[COLOR="red"]

Players would NOT have access to their primary class skills unless they dismounted. This could be modified as well. I know the jousting mounts only have like 4 buttons. The mounts in this system have trainable abilities based on the specific mount, and there would be an action bar, as there is for your primary class abilities, not just 3 or 4 buttons.

Deleted
    The horrific memories of jousting

Quote Originally Posted by madmonk View Post
    so basically it's just call of the champion all over again, in that perspective, i like the different abilities for each different mount (since i got over 60). but yeah, if there's a special mode/bg/zone for it, it would work, maybe a new dungeon and like 1 raid boss (something like OS or RS, nothingn big). than yes, but world pvp other pvp and raids, would be pretty hard to balance etc.

I agree that it would probably have to be limited to new battlegrounds, etc, to test it. Yes it would require a LOT of balancing, the same amount of work that is put into balancing classes, but perfecting this and bringing it into the basic PVE/PVP open-field environment would create yet another all-new game environment, and competing with new games like RIFT, Blizzard would draw a lot of attention incorporating something exciting like this into World of Warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madmonk View Post

Unicorns! <3

On Topic: I like the general idea, but I just don't see this fitting as a part of WoW's general gameplay. First of all, it would require us to learn YET ANOTHER set of keybindings for different situations, and there should also be a sort of improvement system for the mounts at max level, to reward the players that use them most dilligently. This would lead to bigger problems in managing your game time, as you would now have to gear up/improve on your character AND your mount.

Like I said, I like the idea, but I don't see it working in this game. GW2 could probably pull it off, though. Since they focus on PvP and such =)
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Aerial combat... I still have nightmares from getting polymorphed to death in Abyss.

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Unicorns! <3

On Topic: I like the general idea, but I just don't see this fitting as a part of WoW's general gameplay. First of all, it would require us to learn YET ANOTHER set of keybindings for different situations, and there should also be a sort of improvement system for the mounts at max level, to reward the players that use them most dilligently. This would lead to bigger problems in managing your game time, as you would now have to gear up/improve on your character AND your mount.

Like I said, I like the idea, but I don't see it working in this game. GW2 could probably pull it off, though. Since they focus on PvP and such =)
    I could see Blizzard working on this for a future expansion. Yes, it would give players something ELSE to focus on, and overall, when creating new content for a game, that is the goal - to offer more to players. It would actually be easily learned, like hunters train and learn to use their pet abilities. It would be a huge work-in-progress, but It COULD happen, it would just require that Blizzard focus on the same details with mounts that they put into trying to create new abilities for, and balance player-classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    Ah...So you mean strictly mount-on-mount combat? Like the catapult mounts from Wintergrasp and what not? Will players have access to their skill?
    Players would NOT have access to their primary class skills unless they dismounted. This could be modified as well. I know the jousting mounts only have like 4 buttons. The mounts in this system have trainable abilities based on the specific mount, and there would be an action bar, as there is for your primary class abilities, not just 3 or 4 buttons.
    Okay then...I for one have been converted and think this may be a great implementation, although in controlled areas (like a BG specific to this or certain areas in the game). I wouldn't want to be flying to get a node only to be shot down by heaven knows what.

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    Okay then...I for one have been converted and think this may be a great implementation, although in controlled areas (like a BG specific to this or certain areas in the game). I wouldn't want to be flying to get a node only to be shot down by heaven knows what.
    Well this system would also make it so you aren't dismounted upon being attacked in combat. You either run, as you would on foot, or you fight. Players only fall when they die I just think the idea is incredibly exciting, especially with the long flights between raid locations :P

Players are used to the idea that flying is simply a faster way to travel, and yes, it is, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be some obstacles along the way.

This would be a better idea for a BG.
    Allow the choosing of different types of mounts, based on current hunter pet categories.
    Allow 2 different types per faction (such as bear and rhino for alli, gorilla and turtle for horde under tenacity).
    Tenacity would have more general HP, take less damage, but maybe move slightly slower and deal less than the others. Tank-type.
    Ferocity would dish out the pain. DPS-type.
    Cunning would be the utility, dealing less damage, but maybe moving slightly faster.
    During the BG, you cannot dismount, so you must perform on the mount chosen.
    After each death, you will have a window of time to choose a different one if you like.

I would keep it all ground though, flying combat wouldn't be good for a game like WoW.

Interesting idea, no doubt. What I would really like to see in the game (it would be rather cool) is that the hunter pets could be used as mounts, that would be so nice.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Rather than just mount abilities like the jousting fail. What about class specific abilities, separate from normal combat abilities. Mages might get fireball spell, but it would be different from the normal version to make it balanced for mounted combat.

I think a more realistic flying/riding physics would be interesting too. Like having a stripped down version of a flight sim for flying mounts.
    It was the expansion of fire... the expansion of destruction... the expansion we took back what was ours. It was the expansion of rebirth... the expansion of great sadness... the expansion of pain... and the expansion of joy. It was a new age. It was the end of history. It was the expansion everything changed. The expansion is Cataclysm. The place: Azeroth.