Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Is it a good idea for u.s. or other western countries to get involved? we are already in a deficit, the rebels won't pay us or give us free oil even if they somehow win. why are we doing this anyway? gaddafi might been a ass hole but he is a u.s. ally on fight on terror even though he sometimes creates it himself, but not directly against us. when the rebel dispose him, who is take over, the oil company? every other leadership is dead, the rebels are only joined for their hatred of gaddafi nothing else.
    Well first France and Britain are the countrys pushing this and second I think only 1 European country ever paid back its debts to the US for WW2 so I'm not that concerned whether some rebels trying to kick out a mass murderer ever pay us back.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by Countergod View Post
    Actually this is not strictly true. Only if said fighters are able to be seen on Radar would this be the case, as Lybia does not have any counter for stealth fighters. The best they could do then is take the WWII route and grab lots of AA guns and shoot at them (if they even see them, its still before the spring equinox, so its 12 hours of night +) and pray to Allah that they hit something. Their fighters would be completely useless, as US fighters have twice the range, twice the speed and about 30 years of technology upgrades on their side. Thank god Mr. Gates has the F-22 in his arsenal... oh wait...
    nope america wont lay a hand on sa or bahrain and that means un wont neither ...... they didint say anything when 15 saudis funded by sa did the 9/11 attacks they instead went on a useless war

Quote Originally Posted by jamess View Post
    This action is another Afghanistan/Iraq, no fly zone means if it is not followed by Gadaffi, the UN (read USA) will have to bomb key points not to mention the hundred and thousands of AA batteries Libya has acquired which means war in another country. But don't worry Libya's main export is broccoli, so nothing worth fighting to have control of there ....

Will we see this for Bahrain ? are people that dense .... Saudi Arabia are helping Bahrain suppress the people rising up, SA are shower friends with the USA, so don't expect any hard or truthful words against those two countries.
    Clueless are you, read above post
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

This action is another Afghanistan/Iraq, no fly zone means if it is not followed by Gadaffi, the UN (read USA) will have to bomb key points not to mention the hundred and thousands of AA batteries Libya has acquired which means war in another country. But don't worry Libya's main export is broccoli, so nothing worth fighting to have control of there ....

Will we see this for Bahrain ? are people that dense .... Saudi Arabia are helping Bahrain suppress the people rising up, SA are shower friends with the USA, so don't expect any hard or truthful words against those two countries.
    Firstly we didn't have a UN resolution allowing the entering of Iraq.
    Secondly the UN resolution we have now doesn't allow the use of troops to invade the country.
    Thirdly we have regional and international acceptance of the measures used. (excluding China and Russian permanent member nations but as pointed out they like to stay out of things).

Saudi Arabia are taking part in the suppresion of the legal protest of citizens to keep a royal family in control. However yes i agree nothing as sever will happen to Saudi Arabia as they have the most influence of all arab nations with the west thanks to rich oil reserves.
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2011-03-18 at 04:51 AM. Reason: SP

Too little, too late. Once Benghazi falls it's over. No fly zone won't mean much without troops on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    Too little, too late. Once Benghazi falls it's over. No fly zone won't mean much without troops on the ground.
    The Security Council had authorized the use of force, including enforcement of a no-fly zone, to protect civilians and civilian areas targeted by Colonel Muammar Al-Qadhafi, his allied forces and mercenaries.

Basically if gaddafi refuses to stop what he is doing we can bomb his ground forces. I'm pretty sure stealth bombers could easily decimate government ground forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    The Security Council had authorized the use of force, including enforcement of a no-fly zone, to protect civilians and civilian areas targeted by Colonel Muammar Al-Qadhafi, his allied forces and mercenaries.

Basically if gaddafi refuses to stop what he is doing we can bomb his ground forces. I'm pretty sure stealth bombers could easily decimate government ground forces.
    Benghazi could fall in the next 18 hours. We're probably days away from any actions being taken.

Benghazi could fall in the next 18 hours. We're probably days away from any actions being taken.
    They (UK and France) have been pushing for a no fly zone for about a week now. Though I usually doubt the competency of my government I have no doubt that they were expecting to do something so have preliminary plans in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    They (UK and France) have been pushing for a no fly zone for about a week now. Though I usually doubt the competency of my government I have no doubt that they were expecting to do something so have preliminary plans in place.
    I'm sure they do. One thing I think everyone can agree on is that it's much too late.

15+ Year Old Account
    I read the news today.

And speechperson for the French government Francois Baroin. Said on French national radio that France would strike within hours.

Time stamped: 18.03.11 - 09:42 (GMT +1) on the News. I have no idea when it was said on the French radio.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

It's too late now I think, the rebels have lost the momentum they had at the start and are now pushed back too far. Even if Ghaddafi and his forces dont invade the city(Ghaddafi sons said they wont invade the city), what can the rebels do?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    It's too late now I think, the rebels have lost the momentum they had at the start and are now pushed back too far. Even if Ghaddafi and his forces dont invade the city(Ghaddafi sons said they wont invade the city), what can the rebels do?
    Well, with Ghaddafi's air force and navy now being legitimate and, quite frankly, easy targets along with his ground forces being open for air- and sea-based attacks by international forces the rebel forces should stand a much better chance.

Before Ghaddafi got the air force organized his forces were losing ground quite rapidly and the rebels do have a lot of ground-based weapons that they have been avoiding using simply because when the other side has air superiority they practically have huge bulls-eyes painted on them (including heavy artillery).

Before the air strikes really began the rebels were closing in on Tripoli, then Ghaddafi's people started just randomly attacking anything and anyone with air raids which just gave them enough breathing room to actually organize a counter-offensive where they used air strikes against military targets to soften them up before ground troops went in.

Basically, Ghaddafi's ground forces are not only weaker than the rebel ground forces, the rebels now also have NATO air support.
    Last edited by mmocfcbe462c17; 2011-03-18 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added a paragraph