Balance AoE - "Solar Cleave"

I keep seeing a lot of questions on this forum and others about what the mechanics of Balance Druid Solar AoE look like. I took a first shot at defining it in my guide under a section called "Solar Cleave" because that's effectively what Balance Druid AoE is. That said, the questions seem to persist so I built a video as well -- sometimes a video is worth 1,000 words. Anyway, enjoy:

Moonkin View Raid Encounter Videos can be found at: Moonkin PoV Vids and Arythorn Youtube Channel
    Calc's Moonkin Guide can be found at: The Moonkin Repository - Calculated Balance PvE Guide
    Calculatéd Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lated/advanced

It's always nice to sometimes see 1,000,000 damage done in one GCD on Maloriak green phase with astral alignment and mushrooms. I never thought about doing the hurricane trick in addition to the mushrooms, but another thing you could do is right before the green phase, turn around and pre dot all the adds with your dots and then push into your solar phase to do hurricane/detonate. That way all the dots have 99% chance to crit as well as the hurricane and mushrooms.

As always nice videos and keep it up.

Aye, I usually pre-dot the adds while waiting for phase to start. As you noted, that's some free dot crit time across 9 adds or so for 6-7 seconds as well. Adds drop faaaaaaaast Highest 3 WM crit I've gotten was a little over 1.45 mill when some INT procs aligned as well. Usually, as you note, it's closer to the 1 mill mark.

Also, another way I didn't show to that helps make sure we're better at getting Detonates right on time is to Detonate, then immediately lay the next 3 shrooms down. Fill in with dots until we see the Detonate cool come up and immediately Detonate. Going deeper into the cooldown before we start laying the shrooms down can cause us to be a second or two late (as I was a few times in the vid). All-in-all, main thing I was trying to get across was the general concept and priority so the vid works for that.
    Last edited by Calculated; 2011-03-21 at 01:19 AM.
    Moonkin View Raid Encounter Videos can be found at: Moonkin PoV Vids and Arythorn Youtube Channel
    Calc's Moonkin Guide can be found at: The Moonkin Repository - Calculated Balance PvE Guide

Deleted
    What about (glyphed) typhoon? I heard somewhere that it is worth casting it on 2+ targets so surely it does more damage than insect swarm on 5+...

I didnt know that Hurricane didnt consume the charges. Thanks for the info.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niahalootha View Post
    What about (glyphed) typhoon? I heard somewhere that it is worth casting it on 2+ targets so surely it does more damage than insect swarm on 5+...
    Could probably get away with it. Some people like the knockback to save their kiter if something goes wrong though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niahalootha View Post
    It's win. WM > Typhoon > Hurricane > Dots (on those maloriak adds at least)

What's the addon you have that is keeping track of your mushrooms?

Quote Originally Posted by Koiria View Post
    What's the addon you have that is keeping track of your mushrooms?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...hroom+tracking

If you glyph Typhoon, yes you can get away with popping it on black adds and it's worth the GCD. You definitely don't want the knockback though as it can mess up the kite as well as melee positioning.

Deleted
    what addon have you using to see what dots icons you have on health bars on dummies.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliong View Post
    what addon have you using to see what dots icons you have on health bars on dummies.
    That is Tidy Plates: Threat Plates mod.

mind me asking what addon your using to track your CDs?

Combination of ForteXorcist (icons that are moving right to left on a bar) and Power Auras (any other icons you see that appear / disappear). ForteXorcist cooldown bar pretty much tracks everything by default. Power Auras requires some configuration but I have my configuration exports for it in the UI section of my balance guide on TMR (see sig).

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Calculated View Post
    Combination of ForteXorcist (icons that are moving right to left on a bar) and Power Auras (any other icons you see that appear / disappear). ForteXorcist cooldown bar pretty much tracks everything by default. Power Auras requires some configuration but I have my configuration exports for it in the UI section of my balance guide on TMR (see sig).
    After watching a bunch of your vids, I was wondering what the right-to-left tracking add-on was, because it looks useful (and cool). Once the servers are back up, I intend to check it out ... and also thanks for the Power Auras exports; it's great for everything from questing to raiding.
    I boom ... therefore I am.