Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pun View Post
    For those with this outcome, I’d encourage some explanation, the reasoning behind your choice. Be wary of answers such as “I met some good friends” or “I met my future husband/wife”. These are not intrinsic to WoW. Have you considered the friends in real life you haven’t been meeting because you are playing WoW? Are the relationships you’ve made in WoW truly as meaningful as the ones you could be having with people in your school/community/workplace? If your response is, “I have loved playing my level 85 Tauren Prot Warrior too much to not buy WoW again” – that is something that ONLY WoW can provide, and is better response.
    I don't believe this logic can hold water. How are you able to dictate what relationships, wither they be through a video game or through a real life experience, are more meaningful or impact with one blanket idea. "Since it had to do with wow it couldn't possible be as important as something that happened in real life."

Additionally, take out the fact that it's a video game, consider the decision between going to an ice cream shop or to work out. Life is a series of forks in the road, and just because you took one doesn't mean that your life is worse because of it.

At the end of the day this is a post, although well thought out and better developed than most, but all the same as "Yay I quit wow and I'm posting about it on wow forums, give me attention. This is why you should be like me" that are made every day. This one is just more offensive because the OP has chosen to say that since they don't play wow that anything to do with the game is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Pun View Post
    So then, here we go:

1. If you could go back in time to the day you bought WoW, would you buy it again?

2. If you are still an active player, when do you plan to stop playing?

3. If all WoW servers disappeared today and were permanently removed, what would your reaction be?
    1) Sure! Because it was the best game you could find and you must be a MMO hater to not buy it. But, to be honest, if I could go back in time I will surely not dropped the chance to enter in a FPS clan.
    2) When a nice game will come out (Duke Nukem, Arkam City, Battlefield 3 - all preordered), and then I will go back to WoW . I also play from the release but I take a lot of stops (personal and working issues) so it's not really a problem for me to stop or come back. To me the real question is: Will be Diablo III able to keep me away from WoW?
    3) I will looking for some WoW Server software to run only my computer, and made back my PGs

1. If you could go back in time to the day you bought WoW, would you buy it again?

Yes i would, i've had alot of good times in WoW

Not active.

3. If all WoW servers disappeared today and were permanently removed, what would your reaction be?

Wouldn't care

"something that 100% at some point will kill you" = LIFE, not smoking. My great grandfather smoked till 89 years of age cigars and it didnt kill him. Life is the only thing 100% guaranteed to kill you.
    Last edited by Nexxia; 2011-03-21 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Straton View Post
    This game is that deep for some people? Oh my...
    People who share that they are quitting WoW to others on a forum who don't give a shit are generally drama queens, so I'm not surprised by the exhausting post either.

yes, definately, its a good place to kill time

i'll stop playing when it gets too boring for me (or ill take a break really) or, when i don't have time for it anymore (when i finally get a job :P)

awww, damn.... best find something else to do... (wouldnt be the end of the world, i'd just have to waste time and money into buying something else to kill time with)

Quote Originally Posted by souplix View Post
    I don't believe this logic can hold water. How are you able to dictate what relationships, wither they be through a video game or through a real life experience, are more meaningful or impact with one blanket idea. "Since it had to do with wow it couldn't possible be as important as something that happened in real life."

Additionally, take out the fact that it's a video game, consider the decision between going to an ice cream shop or to work out. Life is a series of forks in the road, and just because you took one doesn't mean that your life is worse because of it.

At the end of the day this is a post, although well thought out and better developed than most, but all the same as "Yay I quit wow and I'm posting about it on wow forums, give me attention. This is why you should be like me" that are made every day. This one is just more offensive because the OP has chosen to say that since they don't play wow that anything to do with the game is meaningless.
    Well the funniest part is, this entire concept is easily fit into a "modern" paradigm. It is only in recently we have seen these types of definitions of behaviors defined as being negative, this has more to do with society and control than any negative impact on an individual. I.E. OP has been pressured into giving up something they enjoy by outside forces, and at the same time brainwashed into believing that they were doing something "wrong" and are now doing the "right" thing. All the while having grave doubts as to whether the new course is actually the "right" one, note, the tendency to define video games as something outside of "real life" whatever "real life" is idk, and hence demonize the activity (to some people video games seem as "evil" as the "devil"). Meanwhile all of these arguments and definitions hold about as much water as a nappy.
    Last edited by Nexxia; 2011-03-21 at 03:53 PM.

I'd answer your little survey if all of the questions weren't "Quit or you're addicted." I play WoW once or twice a week, often less, for around 3 hours at a time. I AM attached to my main, but only because he's been the inspiration for countless stories and adventures. If I were to discover WoW missing, I'd be irritated, yes, but upset? Not really. All the stories still exists in my head, I personally know the people I play with, and I see them outside of WoW on a weekly basis.

You could ask yourself the same loaded questions about ANY game. Take your Mass Effect games. Why spend time and money on something you'll use once, and never again?
    My allies are my sword; I am their shield.

I took part in the RP Invasion, May 15, 2010

Deleted
    1. Yes, I would. In fact, if I could, I probably would've tried to buy it earlier (as I only started late into WotLK and I would've loved to actually be there when it all began)

2. I stop playing whenever I feel like it. Right now, my account is frozen because I couldn't pay to extend it. I don't mind too much, I'm just doing other stuff instead. I'm not sure when I'll stop playing WoW for good, that day may never come, but honestly I don't care. It's just a hobby, no harm in that. (if anyone does see harm in having WoW as a hobby, you're doing it wrong)

3. Not a clue. I might move on to different games, maybe find another MMO. I'm definitely looking forward to years of fun when Diablo 3 hits. But in the meantime, I just don't know. Probably, this means I'll keep playing games as a hobby. Again, nothing wrong with that.

I must admit, not actually having a social life (and to be honest, not really caring for one either) does help making decisions like htis. WoW isn't exactly fucking up my life, as so many "quitters" seem to think.

1. Yes.
    2. The day I no longer find it entertaining.
    3. "Oh well.."

Stood in the Fire StendhalSyndrom's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Un-United States, In the newest of Yorks, on the Isle of Long, roaming the Eastern Meadows.
    Yay seems the Mods are now letting stuff like this through constantly.... "Why you should quit wow?" Really...this would have lasted 30 sec on the WoW boards... and yes I did read your entire post...its mainly Fluff. You left the game you had a bad experience, over indulged in one aspect of life while prob ignoring others now you feel bad mebe your waffling on what to do and want others to agree with you and feel the same, justifying what decision you have made.. Oh and "really liking the questions" you made is your self pretty shallow...give it 30 sec for some other random troll to agree with you before you do it you self. So to answer teh questions you won't prob. read cuz you don't play WoW anymore

1. Yes I would in a heartbeat, wife started playing first because RL friends of ours had been playing a few weeks and in a week or two ( needed two new comps. ) we were both neck beep in B.C.

2. No plans, prob won't be on all day every day when we finally have a kid or two but I plan on mebe finding a late night/weekend guild and go light.

3. This is a pretty dumb and loaded question. Are you looking for people to say "OMG I WOULD BE SOOO HAPPY WoW IS GONE IT'S LIKE MY HEROIN I WISH I COULD QUIT"? Or were you not expecting people who play something pretty religiously to not be sad/upset/find another game to play with their friends.. But here's the answer anyway,
    Yes I would be sad as WoW is my main entertainment outlet me n my wife pretty much stopped watching T.V. all together (cept for our dvd collection and one of 3 shows recorded) and yes I would try to find another MMO w/ my guild/friends mainly because I have fun with these people location isn't too important...

Like I said in another thread its pretty sad you can now get away w/ the "I'm quitting WoW post" as long as you throw in some lame excuses for a question and start a 1 person 1 sided convo w/ yourself...
    Last edited by StendhalSyndrom; 2011-03-21 at 04:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
    "Oh yeah?" said Rhonin. "Well, I've got Reginald Whipplebottom the Fourth, here." As he said this, he brandished his right fist. "And I've got Agamemnon W. Jackson, as well," he said, indicating his left fist. "And they brought their buddy, Peter T. Thickness, the Piston of Devastation." As he said this, he did a pelvic thrust, in case it wasn't clear that he was talking about his penis.

I admit I didn't even read most of the original post... It's just too long.

1 thing I always find funny is those people who delete their characters when they quit. It's like they are trying to force themselves to quit but they don't actually want to. The people that do things like deleting their characters are normally the players who end up coming back and regret it because they have to start from scratch. There's no need to delete your characters when quitting and if you do feel that you need to do that then you probably aren't going to successfully quit anyway.

If you are going to quit just quit.... I quit because the game wasn't providing me with much stimulation anymore and I got to the point where I never felt any desire to login anymore.

Yes i'd buy the game again. I really enjoyed the game for a long time and that feeling only started to reduce after my guild had finished with Ulduar. In hindsight I probably should have quit after Ulduar but I couldn't have known that the content quality (imo) would reduce so much.

Well I stopped logging in regularly nearly 3 months ago and my account actually expired 7 weeks ago.

It wouldn't bother me that much but I would have liked to have left the game feeling that i'd finished the story. I've already quit and at most I might come back to try out a future new expansion or a major content patch for a month or whatever but I don't think that sort of stuff would get me excited about the game again any more than Cataclysm did.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Cool story, bro.

But no, really... what possible purpose could this thread serve, other than critting for over 9,000 with Wall O' Text, or some attempt at sounding profound on a MMORPG forum? None that I can see.

By the way, I would say your questions are more than 'slightly loaded.' All of them have a "you either agree with me and quit WoW now or you're hopelessly addicted and your priorities in life are completely skewed" tone to them.
    Quoted for the undeniable truth.

And to humor you, I will answer your dumb questions:

1. Yes, it's a game, and one I have enjoyed playing.

2. Maybe if GW2 is good I'll stop playing WoW, I have very little faith in SW:TOR but it could always surprise me. I'll stop when it's no longer fun or if something better comes along. Seems pretty logical and obvious to me.

3. "Hah. Well that sucks, oh well." Proceed to write my dumbass opinion on a forum to people who don't care, thus gaining some kind of self-importance and validation, then pick up the next game.

Most definitely. Not only is it a great hobby that I can do in the comfort of my own living room, while the kids watch TV or play on the PS3 or body slam each other off the couch (I have 4 boys who are all involved in wrestling), it's also very economical. There is no way I could spend less than $15 a month and get the type of entertainment out of a hobby like this. I have leveled through the old content and the revamped content many times and would do so again if all my character slots weren't full.

I will stop playing when I no longer have the time to devote to it. As it stands right now, I can hop on maybe an hour a night or sometimes longer depending on the kids practices and other social based things. I play when I have the time.

Bummer. Time to find another MMO to play.

Deleted

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    Got bored of it. Quit.

You don't need more reasons. I'm pretty sure the amount of people that are manically addicted to wow is declining fast by now.
    This ^

the game isnt fun anymore, and i joined a gym meet more friends. LF a job

Then theres the chance that all these threads are written by employees of other video game companies trying to psyche people off wow. lol

Stop being a jerk

---------- Post added 2011-03-21 at 04:01 PM ----------

This looks like The Secret, but worse.
    The Secret: you're all addicted to this shit

If I could go back in time to the day I bought WoW, I think that I would buy it again. The thing is, is that in my situation WoW kind of gave me the confidence to make friends (be it online or off). While it is true that I spent a lot of my time on WoW and neglected my real life friends and family, my real life around my teenage years wasn't all that great; WoW was an escape, but a necessary escape because at the time I didn't trust most people and assumed the worst in them (due to real life issues in my family). WoW allowed me to realize there were lots of people in my situation, and slowly over the years I was able to get over a lot of my social anxiety.

People have a tendency to act as if WoW is to blame for all their problems, while forgetting why they escaped into WoW in the first place. If I decided to not buy WoW, I feel like as if I still would've been in the same situation with my real life, but now wouldn't have anything I truly enjoyed; instead of getting addicted to WoW, I would've gotten addicted to far worse things. If we're going to pose hypothetical time travelling questions, I would rather go change what made me feel like I needed WoW in the first place.

I will stop playing when I feel like there really is nothing that is worthwhile to do. Currently I am reducing the amount of time I play WoW, because the only thing I enjoy is raiding. However, I still enjoy raiding so I still feel like the 15$/month is justified. If I ever got to a point where only the people were keeping me from quitting, I would do so.

I would feel sad, but I don't think I would be shattered. I think that WoW taught me that real life really isn't as scary as I used to think before playing online and meeting all these great people over the years. Instead of only playing with these great people in game, I would probably see if I could meet them in real-life!

Hell yes. I have made amazing in-game friends that i Enjoy spending time mucking around and raiding with. If i was to go back in time, i would not only buy the game again, but I would have my knowledge about the game now (I was a big noob in vanilla being only 13 and although I did get to BT/Hyjal in TBC I am almost certain i got carried being that I was only 15 at the time O.o ), and would be one of the pro's when the game was at it's peak, TBC/Vanilla, and enjoy those to the most I could until it got lame in WOTLK (Apart from Ulduar).

I have looked back at the people i know in-game and they've talked about progressing through an entire expansion, and I got up to BT/Hyjal... And I did kill the LK with just the 5% buff in WOTLK. But I have never actually been there for an entire expansion. I never got to see Sunwell, in WOTLK I never did/completed Ulduar or Naxx till they were the "Old Tier Raids" (Although i quit becuase of Naxx being lame and came back at TOC). Now after comparing my stop and start WoW days to the people who have gone through and been top players when the raid is fresh, and gotten the drakes or titles when they were the Premium stuff at the time, I really want that. And so i promised myself i'd do this entire expansion, the whole way through. So if the next expansion to be announced is lame. Well then that's probably when i quit, it's really just "How long can the game engage me". If the next expansion is about a Villian or some lore that's just stupid, i probably will quit then.

It would be sad, like the OP i've easily spent OVER 300 days of playtime across all my characters and too loose something after such a time investment, It would be dreadful. But I have Considered such a thing happening, or just quitting the game before, and frankly, as annoying as it would be, i'd get over it. If people are that sad that they'd crack a tanty or say "There life is over" cause there's no WoW, are just a joke. If you wanna keep playing games, there's so many others out there. And if you don't like the other games, well then time to move into the real world Personally I would move into other MMO's or Play more games like LoL or HoN with my RL friends, but since such games wouldn't be as time consuming, I would easily have more time for outside activities and Socialness, which wouldn't be such a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by Maerlimb View Post
    Stop being a jerk

---------- Post added 2011-03-21 at 04:01 PM ----------

This looks like The Secret, but worse.
    The Secret: you're all addicted to this shit
    Do you even understand what you say when you infer addicted? The secret, were addicted to living, better put an end to it now. Nip it in the bud.