Thread: Elemental DPS

Elemental DPS

Hi

I know there is a shit ton of threads about this, I know there is a shit ton of guides about ele out there but none answers my question completely.
    I'm also trying to download simcraft but its giving some weird error I'm trying to figure out, but lets go to the question.

This is my armory: [cant post links, but I'm Headshot on Horde, Jaedenar - US]

As you can see, everything is perfectly enchanted, gemmed and reforged, all glyphs are right and completely using the bonus of my professions but I still don't think my DPS is high enough.

I know a decently ele shaman on my server who has 4 set and mirror as trinket and he only does about more ~300 DPS than me, even though I don't think his DPS is high enough.

I don't let FS fall from the dummy, I've multiple addons tracking Lava Surge and Lightning Shield so I don't miss or get charges wasteds, use my CDs properly and I'm not a scrub player and know my class but the question is still here:

As my current gear (iLVL 357) is GOOD or NORMAL or BAD pull 16.5k~17k in the dummy? (without bloodlust and no fire ele) I do at least 4 tests per day in a 5 to 7 minutes fight in the dummy trying to improve anything, but I don't see anything I could do different.

Deleted
    In 17 minute tests, I'm usually doing 20-21k, using Fire/Earth ele/hero on cooldown (using FE glyph, and resto talent giving extra totem duration (yes, a dps gain AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HAVE TO MOVE WITH GW. Dual spec ftw)).
    I'd say 17k is reasonable with your gear.
    (I'm sitting at 360 avgilvl btw)

---------- Post added 2011-03-23 at 03:22 PM ----------

Just looked through your armory, seems you only have 354 avgilvl... might be the reason. Also, try getting Inceneratus; muuuuuch better than those scrubby PvP weps.

15+ Year Old Account
    How do yall get so much dps on a dummy? I've never gotten more than 12k dps on them, yet I do good dps in raids x_X.

Anyway, going off your armory everything seems fine, or atleast nothing stands out.

And yeah, 17k on a dummy is good. That's enough for most raid bosses.

On a dummy doing 16k+ is perfectly fine once you start rocking full 359s. Have to remember that you only have your buffs, and that your buffs alone might or might not bring as much DPS compared to say a Boomkin (which has the haste + 8% magic debuff...which may or may not be more than 10% spellpower alone). Your DPS would be higher in a 10 setting, and much higher in a 25.

---------- Post added 2011-03-23 at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    How do yall get so much dps on a dummy? I've never gotten more than 12k dps on them, yet I do good dps in raids x_X.

Anyway, going off your armory everything seems fine, or atleast nothing stands out.

And yeah, 17k on a dummy is good. That's enough for most raid bosses.
    That's enough for all raid bosses that don't require you to gimp your damage output ie: sinestra's haste, halfu's damage multiplier.

Hitting 17k+ plus with gear above 358 is perfectly fine. As stated above you lack certain benefits other classes have when it comes to target dummies so expect your dps to increase quite a bit in raids. I am ilvl 359 and do about 19k on a dummy atm. On raid bosses I often do about 23k now with with standard buffs etc, only though when I dont have to interupt or add dmg etc. (I raid 10 man)
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

Kesandir on whot fight exept Halfus on weach i do over 50 k you did with your curent gear 19- 23 k on 10 man???? i do 21 to 26 k on chimeron hc close to 25 on Maloriak but on other fights if i do 17 to 22 i'm realy happy plus is 25 man and my gear is a bit bether then yours whots your seecret
    Last edited by Sodia; 2011-03-23 at 04:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some place in the United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    Kesandir on whot fight exept Halfus on weach i do over 50 k you did with your curent gear 19- 23 k on 10 man???? i do 21 to 26 k on chimeron hc close to 25 on Maloriak but on other fights if i do 17 to 22 i'm realy happy plus is 25 man and my gear is a bit bether then yours whots your seecret
    That sentence made my brain hurt

Just... I mean... I think it's better not to comment if your post is about to look like that one.
    S.H.

-Daniel
    Yea, I'm trying to get that + mirrors trinket, they never drop though

My gear is mostly 246 with some epic pieces, but still, feels I'm missing something

-Seam
    What would be good / enough for you in raid bosses tho? I usually pull around 22k in 25man Argaloth, but makes me sad looking in the top of the charts and seeing the hunters at 32k

Quote Originally Posted by Sfidt View Post
    Just... I mean... I think it's better not to comment if your post is about to look like that one.
    huh why is that i'm askin whots wrong with that??? O_o is askin make me a trol now ??

It's because you wrote everything wrong (grammar) and with no punctuation, which makes the post disorganized

I do like 17k on a target dummy (no CDs) with 367iLV. Not sure if Searing Totem is counted in Recount. My recount dps is always lower than WoL so mah.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshotqt View Post
    What would be good / enough for you in raid bosses tho? I usually pull around 22k in 25man Argaloth, but makes me sad looking in the top of the charts and seeing the hunters at 32k
    Good as in all you need to kill the boss.

I don't do 25s, but I hit around 22-23kish on Arg(Or did. We havn't done him in a long while.)

Took a min to get the reading right but got there in the end.
    There is no 'secret' as you say, its just simply nailing the rotation and not missing any procs etc. Tbh I would probably do more in a 25 man environment as I know shamans on my realm that DO more in 25. There are tips and tricks to help, one I should have stated in previous post is things like, macro volcanic potion to your heroism, thats quite a nice dps increase right there (1200 int for half the hero duration).
    There are various tricks you learn, ways to make your rotation smoother and iron out mistakes.
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesandri View Post
    There is no 'secret' as you say, its just simply nailing the rotation and not missing any procs etc. Tbh I would probably do more in a 25 man environment as I know shamans on my realm that DO more in 25. There are tips and tricks to help, one I should have stated in previous post is things like, macro volcanic potion to your heroism, thats quite a nice dps increase right there (1200 int for half the hero duration).
    There are various tricks you learn, ways to make your rotation smoother and iron out mistakes.
    I'm trying to cover as much of this as I can in the Elemental FAQ here, but there's a LOT going on in maximizing Elemental DPS. More so than a lot of other classes have to deal with. The only real "secret" is knowing exactly how your various gear and class procs and buffs work together and how they affect your spells. And not in a theoretical "I can work it out with a spreadsheet" sense; you are going to be making decisions on what ability to use every second and a bit, and it's on a priority scale that, done properly, is sliding and adjusting for everything that happens. For the most part, you can split it into "moving" and "not moving", but you always need to know what you WILL be doing. It's not enough to just be reactive, you need to be proactive. You can't just hit Earth Shock every time you hit 7 stacks of LS, you need to know when your FS dot falls off, how your shock CD will be affected by using ES, how many LBs you'll be casting over the next 5s and whether or not that means you'll be wasting procs or not, etc.

You need to know all of tbis, and track it as you play, realtime. It's like running through the woods at night; you can't see very far ahead, so you need to be watching and reacting quickly to avoid stumbling. It's not like a more consistent rotation, where you plan out your path and trundle merrily along, nor is it a game of Simon Says where you just punch the buttons that light up.

Which is, of course, why I play this spec.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBrems View Post
    using Fire/Earth ele/hero on cooldown (using FE glyph, and resto talent giving extra totem duration (yes, a dps gain AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HAVE TO MOVE WITH GW. Dual spec ftw)).
    What? are you sure? I'v never see or heard about this o.O
    Hi Sephurik

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You lose passive moment speed, which means using Lavawalker on boots instead. http://db.mmo-champion.com/utils/tal...xuT.ala.shaman.

Spec is a bit gimpy really considering the amount of movement in most fights. Plus the fire elemental being a retard on most fights aswell (Maloriak HC, Magmaw HC, Nef HC)

Not really worth it imo.
    Leegion - Turalyon

Stopped raiding in MOP. Pugging Legion!