Deleted

what's the safest way to clean my laptop screen?

my laptop screen is really dirty. it is full of little black spots. however, I don't want to ruin it by using the wrong cleaning aid. i've heard people suggest a damp towel, windex, a towel with windex on it, paper spectacle cleaners, cloth spectacle cleaners, swiffer wetjet wettened towels,... what would be the best way?

Distilled water + Microfiber

Deleted
    i thought microfiber towels were static and as such can damage my screen?

seriously just spit on it and rub it with a towel...

or if you want, window cleaning solution and soft toilet paper works also.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use the Pledge all surface cleaner towelettes for mine.

Wonderful Ysera set by Aderianu of AHS

Deleted
    Yeah, there really is no need to go OTT on it. I am sure 1 person int he thousands who post here will go 'but when I did it the sky collapsed!'. It's a bit like anti-static wrist bands. Everyone knows nobody uses them except major corps like hp. And everyone knows you don't need them.

Just damp tissue, easy.

Pff, im using an anti static wrist band right now. If you don't use one, you will destroy your computer.

Deleted
    ICIDU LCD SCREEN CLEANER.
    Ftw, really. I use it for everything, cleans all shiny surfaces, and matte tft, I even use it to clean my desk and keyboard. all fingerprints GONE. doesn't leave trails or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by daskallu View Post
    seriously just spit on it and rub it with a towel...

or if you want, window cleaning solution and soft toilet paper works also.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalacia View Post
    I use the Pledge all surface cleaner towelettes for mine.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by spiny View Post
    Pff, im using an anti static wrist band right now. If you don't use one, you will destroy your computer.
    I use one as well.

Don't use any harsh chemicals on your LCD screen.

what form or cleaner is BEST depends on the type of screen (and it's surface material), and you can refer to your computer user manual to find out what the best thing is.

Typically any electronic cleaner and a microfiber cloth (usually comes with electronic cleaner) is a safe bet. I use iKlear and iKlear microfiber cloths.

Harsh chemicals such as window cleaners can harm the crystal in LCD and LED displays, unless it is covered in a glass surface like a macbook's. The harm to the crystal is rarely directly obvious but contributes to that "Old LCD" look of faded and inconsistent coloring across the display.

10+ Year Old Account
    KFC wipes for the win. On a more serious note, you can use anything that doesn't contain acids or alcohol. Non alcoholic baby wipes are purdy good imo.

Quote Originally Posted by isuzo View Post
    KFC wipes for the win. On a more serious note, you can use anything that doesn't contain acids or alcohol. Non alcoholic baby wipes are purdy good imo.
    Nothing like pure distilled water and microfiber though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just turn my monitor off and give it an even spray of Windex then wipe with a lint free cloth. Been doing it for years and never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by madyrn View Post
    I just turn my monitor off and give it an even spray of Windex then wipe with a lint free cloth. Been doing it for years and never had an issue.
    I hope you're using a CRT

my baby daughter´s wet-wipes. not so wet when i leave the box open but works well for my screen

This is like car cleaning... 90% will do with water + soap and regular towel, the other 10% will require distilled water, some super soap that gets rid of dirt but isn't too harsh, a clay bar for removing stuff the soap can't remove, and microfiber towels.

If it's an expensive laptop that you plan to use for a while, then get some more expensive solutions... otherwise a wet tissue will be enough. Just use some common sense. If you are using pressure you think that will scratch the screen, chances are it will.

hmmm, I m just making the lower part of my t-shirt a little wet - and clean the screen with it. And my new mbp is saying thanks to that.

Deleted
    Baby wipes always help as they clean and dry at the same time and if you get the spray stuff for cleaning glass then use it, (forgot the name for it sorry.)