"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I'm so not paying ~700 euros for it

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kind of tempted to save up some dough and buy one of these... but it would probably be mostly a waste. As I mostly only play WoW.... I mean, Guild Wars 2 is in my near future and I might try playing LOTRO a bit more.... but yeah. I don't know, the thing looks so pretty though. :3
    "A flower.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    And every review puts the AMD 6990 above it. No I'm not an ATI/AMD fanboy I just find it funny nVidia has fallin off for awhile.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I noticed that. One of the posts I put up even had that as the title. :P
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by cidic View Post
    And every review puts the AMD 6990 above it. No I'm not an ATI/AMD fanboy I just find it funny nVidia has fallin off for awhile.
    not to mention the 6990 is 100 euros cheaper on top of the better performance

Deleted
    They can't get the full benefit of those chips in a duel GPU card because they need too much power but i bet you some smart ass out there is already working on a plan to unleash this GPU on some crazy liquid cooling rig with monster PSU's and money to burn :P I just hope that the next generation of ATI/AMD cards are a bit better than the 6xxx series because nvidia has done a good job overall with there 500 series line up and those cards like the 560Ti will be hard to beat in that price range for some time to come.

10+ Year Old Account
    6990 > 590. Cheaper, faster, win.
    I'm a reverse solipsist. I know the rest of the universe is real, I just don't have any conclusive proof that I exist.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It however doesn't fit many cases. Plus the awful ATI drivers in mind, it doesn't make much sense to go for it. And if you have a need for Cuda, it's a no brainer.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    That's an awfully expensive space heater. I got one of those dish looking room heaters for 30 bucks at Costco myself.

Plus the awful ATI drivers in mind
    Sigh.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting a 6990 soon for crysis 2

Made by dubbelbasse

Quote Originally Posted by kushlol View Post
    Getting a 6990 soon for crysis 2
    Its less demanding than Crysis 1

I hope they make 560s to drop price xD
    "Blizzard is not incompetent or stupid and they are not intentionally screwing you over"

Quote Originally Posted by cidic View Post
    "while" being whole month since 6990 was released... Anyway, bit too early to dance on anybody's graves since Nvidia is good at releasing cards with worthless piece of shit drivers, and when they get the software fixed, you'll suddenly see 50% speed increase.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    "while" being whole month since 6990 was released... Anyway, bit too early to dance on anybody's graves since Nvidia is good at releasing cards with worthless piece of shit drivers, and when they get the software fixed, you'll suddenly see 50% speed increase.
    Never does anyone get a 50% increase unless there was a specific bug with a game, no in actual fact most performance increases from newer drivers are a couple of % to nearly non existent. Driver notes will say there are massive increases but normally at stupidly high resolutions with AA modes you wouldn't dare to use so 1 extra fps is like 20% performance gain. Apart from the fact these GPUs are nothing new, they are simply 2 underpowered/underperforming 580's which are essentially refreshed 480's with all shaders unlocked and some crap cut out running in SLI. This is not new tech and performance gains from drivers will be little to none unless fixing specific issues like Nv seem to be having in DA2 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Athurjob View Post
    Never does anyone get a 50% increase unless there was a specific bug with a game, no in actual fact most performance increases from newer drivers are a couple of % to nearly non existent. Driver notes will say there are massive increases but normally at stupidly high resolutions with AA modes you wouldn't dare to use so 1 extra fps is like 20% performance gain.
    Remember the original launch of GTX400 line. 470/480 cards got 20-30% speedup with the driver update 2 months after cards shipped. That's what I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Athurjob View Post
    Apart from the fact these GPUs are nothing new, they are simply 2 underpowered/underperforming 580's which are essentially refreshed 480's with all shaders unlocked and some crap cut out running in SLI.
    Yep, same shit with all dual GPU cards. SLI/Crossfire will perform better.

Anyway, before there's too much brand bashing here, a little clip from AnandTech's review

If we just look at the mean performance lead/loss for all games at 2560, the GTX 590 is within 1% of the 6990, however within those games there’s a great deal of variance. The GTX 590 does extremely well in Civilization V as we’d expect, along with DIRT 2, Mass Effect 2, and HAWX. Meanwhile in Crysis, BattleForge, and especially STALKER the GTX 590 easily comes up short. Thus choosing the most appropriate card is heavily reliant what games are going to be played on it, and as a result there is no one card that can be crowned king.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

several reviews I have read say that their card blew up (and no longer works) during the tests... may want to wait a bit before buying one

Dual 6950 2gb, flashed to 6970 IMO

Deleted
    @vesseblah :
    Similar conclusion on the review I just read :
    The GTX 590 fails to beat the HD 6990 in terms of gaming performance. Statistically, these two flagships are on par. We think nVidia and AMD could share the “fastest graphics card” title. After all, they’ve been intensively competing for years and a peaceful period could be mutually beneficial.
    http://www.chiphell.com/en/graphics/nvidia-gtx-590/12/

Deleted
    Remember the original launch of GTX400 line. 470/480 cards got 20-30% speedup with the driver update 2 months after cards shipped. That's what I was referring to.
    Hardly a 50% increase and no I don't remember those cards getting a 20-30% increase, any links to back this up?

Yep, same shit with all dual GPU cards. SLI/Crossfire will perform better.

Anyway, before there's too much brand bashing here, a little clip from *snip*
    Not bashing anyone, I was just saying there wont be many performance increases through later drivers, again this is not new tech.

Imo this card just needs to be priced better to compete, the performance difference is to small to care about but it becomes a factor when the card costs so much more than the competition. How can you justify that price tag when the fastest single slot card out there costs a 100 euros less.