Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Athurjob View Post
    Imo this card just needs to be priced better to compete, the performance difference is to small to care about but it becomes a factor when the card costs so much more than the competition. How can you justify that price tag when the fastest single slot card out there costs a 100 euros less.
    Huh? Both R6990 and GTX590 cost the exact same $700.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Errr.. where do you see a price? Google brings up nothing.

Also, the cards are pretty much equal in performance. The only thing the 6990 has going against it when compared to the GTX 590 is that it's a jet engine, whereas the GTX 590 is significantly quieter.

However, you just can't beat four mini-display ports :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Here in Germany the actual retail prices show a different story.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm, you can't compare prices on the day of the launch and of the card that is already some time on the market. Almost all of them drop in price after only a couple of weeks.

both are really nice cards. and way overpriced. And i am not a amd or nvidia guy i have owned them both i just think its so funny after all the driver bashing that goes on against ati/amd " i have never had a problem" that the 590 drivers that come on the cd let the card fry itself.

Deleted
    Here in Germany the actual retail prices show a different story.
    Belgium here :
    R6990 for €610
    GTX590 for €680

Quote Originally Posted by dahmer View Post
    Belgium here :
    R6990 for €610
    GTX590 for €680
    That's probably because the GTX 590 just came out, they both have the exact same MSRP so prices should balance out in a couple of weeks once there is enough supply.

---------- Post added 2011-03-24 at 09:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    both are really nice cards. and way overpriced. And i am not a amd or nvidia guy i have owned them both i just think its so funny after all the driver bashing that goes on against ati/amd " i have never had a problem" that the 590 drivers that come on the cd let the card fry itself.
    I don't see how they are overpriced. You are getting 2 underclocked GTX 580s or 2 underclocked 6970s on one card. It might be a bit overpriced in ATI's case, but not nvidia, since the GTX 580 retails for about $150 more than the 6970.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost...&postcount=137

I would not buy one of these. We know of at least 7 card failures in the last couple of days. I don't know what the total sample of cards that have been tested yet is like but I would assume that there were no more than about 100 cards in the wild as of this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyleiran View Post
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost...&postcount=137

I would not buy one of these. We know of at least 7 card failures in the last couple of days. I don't know what the total sample of cards that have been tested yet is like but I would assume that there were no more than about 100 cards in the wild as of this morning.
    If you get a card failure, RMA it? Herp.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobasteve1226 View Post
    If you get a card failure, RMA it? Herp.
    I'm not going to pull out my EE books but assuming that the failure rate of these things is similar to "simpler" electronic components 7% in 24 hours translates to an extremely high defect rate (think 100% fail rate within 6 months or along those lines).

edit

seems the romanians have a failed card too
    http://translate.google.ro/translate...-video%2F13%2F

Sweclockers video
    Last edited by Tyleiran; 2011-03-24 at 10:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyleiran View Post
    seems the romanians have a failed card too

Sweclockers video

watch?v=sRo-1VFMcbc&feature=player_embedded
    That card failed due to user enabling SMART power consumption for OC reason's, and all reviews that say there card blew were all due to same reason
    And yeah that is clearly a faulty feature due to a manufacturing error on the regulator's

I cant remember any reviewers complaining about any overclock testing killing their cards in the last 5+ years at least. But those romanians did not kill their card overclocked and sweclockers 2nd card did not die overclocked. The rest I don't know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kripparrian View Post
    several reviews I have read say that their card blew up (and no longer works) during the tests... may want to wait a bit before buying one
    I think it's pretty clear that these things are pretty much at the edge of what's possible with Nvidia's GF-100 architecture and current processes. I wonder if the reports of problems with the over current protection are true. Seems like a bad idea to me to have to depend on wonky software to protect these things.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think I'm way too into computers when I know the name of the guy in the video.... o.O

Hardly a 50% increase and no I don't remember those cards getting a 20-30% increase, any links to back this up?
    Not an across the board optimization. But increases of close to 50% have been observed in specific games.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    It boils down to this. The GTX 580 soundly defeats the HD 6970 in just about every benchmark. Because the GTX 580 isn't as efficient, Nvidia had to dial back everything to stay within a reasonable power/heat envelope. This negates every last advantage the Fermi architecture had over AMD's 6000 series GPUs.

To compound things, GF110/Fermi's transistor count makes it a much more expensive product. Nvidia's margins on the 590 must be much lower than AMD's with the 6990. Even more questionable is the rest of the GTX 590's parts list. The SWEClocker's video shows us that NVidia's VRMs and power phases cannot handle much voltage tweaking (even if a driver problem compounds the issue). AMD uses some of the most advanced VRM/phase control hardware we've seen on PCBs to date.

And then there's the issue of 2x1.5 GB memory vs 2x2 GB. That will effect FPS at extreme resolutions, such as 5 monitor Eyefinity or 3 monitor 3D Vision.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2011-03-26 at 12:00 PM.

So basically all we need is for the best engineers from both companies to defect and make a company called Nvideon, and make Fermon chips.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a fan of Hardocp's reviewing methodology because they use the highest settings at the desired resolution that they want to run. The 6990 allowed for better graphics settings and better frame rates in most the games.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/..._card_review/1

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    So basically all we need is for the best engineers from both companies to defect and make a company called Nvideon, and make Fermon chips.
    Indeed, this has always been my dream. Untill then I like green glow more than red glow when sitting in the dark. But a blue one... Hot dang!

Quote Originally Posted by Termy View Post
    Indeed, this has always been my dream. Untill then I like green glow more than red glow when sitting in the dark. But a blue one... Hot dang!
    Lol!

I just hope there is a third company to enter the market. The midrange market to start.. then hopefully highend. As long as they don't do SoC to start out with.