Page 1 of 2
LastLast

best spec for leveling with a buddy?

i'll be leveling a dk soon with a healer buddy. we will be doing a good mix of questing, bg's and some dungeons (i'll be offspeccing to tank). I'm wondering what the best leveling spec would be for questing/bg'ing with a healer? also, which is the most fun?

unholy, frost sucks now early on, blood offspec, honestly though spec blood for both you'll own

isnt blood slower dps-wise? ideally for questing/pvp i wanna be able to put out max dps, as well as play a pvp-viable spec so when i hit 85 i'll have had some practice

blood is amazing for questing and levelling, your signature strike cleaves 3 people and death strike means you can solo basically everything, unholy is nice but its no faster than levelling as blood

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    isnt blood slower dps-wise? ideally for questing/pvp i wanna be able to put out max dps, as well as play a pvp-viable spec so when i hit 85 i'll have had some practice
    Yes blood is drastically slower DPS. So Unholy would be the way to go for the leveling spec.

---------- Post added 2011-03-25 at 09:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hoonboof View Post
    blood is amazing for questing and levelling, your signature strike cleaves 3 people and death strike means you can solo basically everything, unholy is nice but its no faster than levelling as blood
    He's leveling with a healer. So he can forget about the self heals and go for the faster burst damage that unholy offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendall213 View Post
    Yes blood is drastically slower DPS. So Unholy would be the way to go for the leveling spec.

---------- Post added 2011-03-25 at 09:01 PM ----------

He's leveling with a healer. So he can forget about the self heals and go for the faster burst damage that unholy offers.
    except blood is not drastically worse until you break ~80

I'd go frost but thats just because I find frost more fun than unholy.

Run into a bunch of mobs, pop pillar of frost, spam howling blast as much as you can, profit? With heals you shouldn't be going down

you dont get any of the good frost stuff (including HB) for ages now, frost is terrible to level with

so would 2h unholy be ideal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hoonboof View Post
    you dont get any of the good frost stuff (including HB) for ages now, frost is terrible to level with
    I would consider imp death strike a vital part of blood and DRW is pretty much the best leveling ability in the tree next to it.

You get HB at the same level that you would get DRW. You get MotFW the same time you get imp DS. You do not get pale horse as blood. Pale horse+guild perk+flying is just too awesome to pass up.

Any spec will work just fine though.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by phatpat View Post
    i'll be leveling a dk soon with a healer buddy. we will be doing a good mix of questing, bg's and some dungeons (i'll be offspeccing to tank). I'm wondering what the best leveling spec would be for questing/bg'ing with a healer? also, which is the most fun?
    Go blood tank and have your buddy go shadow priest. You will be able to do dungeons with basically 5 dps. You barely need a healer when you are leveling through dungeons, and definitely don´t if you use deathstrike.

What class is you buddy going to level? If he's Disc with Archangel/Atonement spec and you go blood you'll roll through large mobs so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I would consider imp death strike a vital part of blood and DRW is pretty much the best leveling ability in the tree next to it.

You get HB at the same level that you would get DRW. You get MotFW the same time you get imp DS. You do not get pale horse as blood. Pale horse+guild perk+flying is just too awesome to pass up.

Any spec will work just fine though.
    iirc http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/51986/on-a-pale-horse and guild perk don't stack, see the 'does not stack blah' line on the tooltip?

But other than that, it doesn't really matter what spec you pick for duo levelling. Mobs will drop like flies with any possible spec.

I personally wouldn't go unholy with the 4.x rune system, it was ok in 3.x when you could burst a mob every 7-8s with a full set of runes but seeing that your runes now take a lot longer to refresh I'd probably say go frost. Unholy is great for longer fights, but I hate to be target swapping with UH when you can't use outbreak or pestilence.

Speaking from experience, having a tank/healer combo is the greatest way in the world to level. My roommate and I leveled a warrior/priest combo from 1 to (currently) 79, insta-queuing dungeons the entire time. For one, being able to run whatever instance you want without having to wait in a queue is great, and having a constant healer has probably been the best tanking experience I've ever had. Running an instance with a random healer is rough sometimes, 'cause you don't know their healing style. Some healers like to keep you topped off all the time, and others don't like to heal until they absolutely have to, so you never know if something is wrong when your health drops below a certain point. With a consistent healer, you get used to their style, so you know how often they heal you, and you know when you should panic and pop your cooldowns. Granted on the downside you do get used to your healer, so when you have to run with someone else you expect a healing style they may not use.

So my advice would be go blood.

I'll be leveling with a resto shammy....but like i said above, ill be duel speccing as a tank...meaning my offspec will be blood to tank. I'm wondering what my dps/pvp/questing spec should be

Go Blood/UH. My brother recently made a DK, and has been plowing through the game with these specs. He mentioned something about going Blood then switching to UH presence letting him do massive damage with the addition of huge self heals, though he might have been exaggerating.

UH is overall good for questing and pvp.

Go Blood/UH. Blood for when you spam instances and UH when you feel like doin some questing/PvP.

Holy crap, I seriously love how no one gives a good enough reason as to why the OP should level in a certain spec.

A) Don't level in Blood since you have a healer with you. (Damage is not sufficient enough to be most efficient and self healing isn't needed)
    B) Unholy is actually quite sub-par when it comes to LEVELING due to being reliant on diseases and ghoul. (Read again before you start to flame)
    C) Frost is the BEST leveling spec because of all of its quirks. (Not too reliant on diseases aside from frost which -> Howling Blast glyph (Frost Fever) is a great way to gather multiple mobs while putting diseases on them. You also generate so much runic power that you never run out of attacks (Frost Strike).

P.S. EJ also prefers you level in frost to maximize efficiency. (Yes EJ is out of date but the leveling spec remains the same).

EDIT: Frost is great for PvP as well, people need to learn that any spec works.

you're leveling with a friend just pick whatever specc build feels the most enjoyable. anything below 80 will be a joke and you'll even possibly be able to duo dungeons if you're tanking and they're healing.

For efficiency you only need death grip refreshing on kills and continue chain pulling.

Also note that those guides EJ has are talking about solo leveling. What good is being able to move around 20% faster if you need to stop and let your bud catch up (this was a very nice part about frost > unholy along side being able to death coil yourself XD)

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    you're leveling with a friend just pick whatever specc build feels the most enjoyable. anything below 80 will be a joke and you'll even possibly be able to duo dungeons if you're tanking and they're healing.

For efficiency you only need death grip refreshing on kills and continue chain pulling.

Also note that those guides EJ has are talking about solo leveling. What good is being able to move around 20% faster if you need to stop and let your bud catch up (this was a very nice part about frost > unholy along side being able to death coil yourself XD)
    True however I leveled with a healer and would go Howling Blast everything and by the time my buddy caught up, she was just in time to heal me up from the damage taken (while also getting exp). ^_^