Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mac + SSD question for someone smarter than me.

Ok so I'm very likely about to buy the new upgraded 15" MPB (what I need for work). I'm looking into running windows on it for gaming and so forth that I would only do when I'm at home. My question is whether or not I could install Windows and WoW on an external SSD for improved performance, or if that would be unhelpful and not as beneficial as just partitioning the 7200rpm 500GB internal HD and running WoW that way. Thanks for any advice on the best ways to improve performance.

Why not install the SSD internally?

I was under the impression there was no room to add one in along side a traditional hard disk. I don't really feel like paying an extra thousand bucks for a SSD big enough to work as my primary storage device. Are you saying there is a relatively inexpensive way to do what you are suggesting?

No, most people just use the SSD as the only internal device, and leave it at that. If it's too expensive to get one big enough for what you need, best bet is just to stick with the 7200rpm.

EDIT: They also will use a USB drive or possibly eSATA for storage if it was really needed, since you don't use an SSD for storage at all.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

It'd have to be in lieu, MBP only has one slot. But if you go with 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm it will have decent performance as-is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why would you install Windows on another hard drive when you can just play World of Warcraft natively under OSX?
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Why would you install Windows on another hard drive when you can just play World of Warcraft natively under OSX?
    Probably because WoW under Windows has slightly better performance than WoW under OSX

Why not run WoW on Mac instead of going through all the hassle just to play it on Windows?

If I were you I'd just make a 100-150gb partition and install Windows on it via Bootcamp.

ispano that was what I have heard as well, which brings me to my original question- could I use an external ~60GB SSD (much cheaper than getting a 256GB internal SSD) to install windows and wow on and utilize the new thunderbolt port for improved performance in gaming? Or is that just stupid and impossible. I really just don't know haha

Hard to say, I know something over eSATA is fine, but I don't know enough about how TB works to say yes to it. I personally wouldn't use an SSD via an external interface myself though.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Fair enough. Seems like just partitioning the regular 7200rpm drive is my best bet. Just didn't know what possibilities there were. Thanks for the input everyone.

I wouldn't see it as being worth it. Not to mention 60GB probably isn't large enough for windows and WoW.

60GB is plenty big enough for Windows and WOW. Mine currently still has over 16GB free with Office Ultimate, etc. installed along with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    The real question is whether the performance gains from dual booting to Windows are worth the hassle of having to reboot your PC before / after every game of WoW?
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

So are you saying you're doing what I suggested Barawr?

Quote Originally Posted by iSythe View Post
    I wouldn't see it as being worth it. Not to mention 60GB probably isn't large enough for windows and WoW.
    Depends on if you let windows make a 20+ gig pagefile+hiberfil like it wants to

Quote Originally Posted by Barawr View Post
    60GB is plenty big enough for Windows and WOW. Mine currently still has over 16GB free with Office Ultimate, etc. installed along with it.
    You'd have to copy and patch it somewhere else and bring it back over each time they update.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're only going to play WoW, why not just play it in OSX? It's just as good as in Windows. At least I don't notice a difference.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    If you're only going to play WoW, why not just play it in OSX? It's just as good as in Windows. At least I don't notice a difference.
    Even if it were only for WoW and not any other games, it just runs better on Windows. Not to mention addons and game peripherals are far more compatible.

I don't think you can run Windows from an external drive. If it worked at all it would be incredibly slow.
    "Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." - Terry Pratchett