Poll: How do you pronounce the word "creek?"

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you say "crick" or "creek?"

Since we're discussing regional, dialect, or even international differences, I thought this would be fun.

The word is c-r-e-e-k. But here in the US, it's pronounced differently depending on region, or even if it's a generic term, or proper name.

In my neck of the woods, "I'm going down to the (crick)" is acceptable. But a proper name, it's still pronounced "creek." "I'm going to Bear (creek)."

Odd. But english, especially in America never really was consistent.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very very rare that I hear it used at all here in England, usually it's stream, river, or sometimes brook. When creek is used it is normally creek as pronounced in tweak.

10+ Year Old Account
    a stream? 0o

Creek, although I hear 'crick' all too often. Find a place full of hill-billies or hicks or red necks or whatever you want to call it -- all too common there.

I'm from a predominately country region of Maryland and i say crick. Partly because it's how i've always said it and partly because the reactions it sometimes gets outta people trying to correct me. I like the classify it as one of the Rednecky/country terminologies

Where I live, we pronounce it creek, but then again, we're all a bunch of fricks down here

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro1990 View Post
    I'm from a predominately country region of Maryland and i say crick. Partly because it's how i've always said it and partly because the reactions it sometimes gets outta people trying to correct me. I like the classify it as one of the Rednecky/country terminologies
    I was raised in Maryland, same kind of thing. A little of both. But, now that I'm in Florida, we just call 'em "Canals".
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

15+ Year Old Account
    OP hit the nail on the head with how I say it. I'll tell some friends to join me at Sugar Creek(pronounced like beek), but when we head down to the creek(pronounced like stick) to do a lil frog giggin and have a colbeer(pronouced like coalbeer aka cold beer).

10+ Year Old Account
    I say river

Hicks say "crick". Everyone else says creek

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spiny View Post
    Hicks say "crick". Everyone else says creek
    LOL? So the retiree down the street who has a PhD and was born and raised in a Philadelphia is a hick?

Whatever makes you feel superior I guess...

Its a creek. Iowans run around Jumping off there Ruffs into a Crick of Warter.

This annoys me.

Even I typed what I voted wrong.
    Last edited by Mass0wnage; 2011-03-28 at 03:29 AM.

Ive heard both ways but crick is pretty rare for me to hear.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is the first time I've heard of crick. Everyone I've ever heard says creek.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the first instance in my 22 years of life that I've ever heard a "creek" reffered to as a "crick".

I never hear people speak of creeks, but this reminds me of people who say "dint" instead of dent" around where I live, and it fucking pisses me off. Or "dunkey" instead of "donkey", or "ah" instead if "ay" when saying the letter "a". Rage levels reaching dangerous levels, abort current thought process.
    "The truth, my goal."

Wooo one of 2 people that say Crick lol but upon thinking on it further i wish i could change it to creek when it's a name and crick otherwise.

Like if someone asks the name i'll say Big Pipe Creek, but then if i'm telling someone i'm goin crawfishin i'll say i'm heading down to the crick. lol xD

Deleted
    ...How the hell can you pronounce creek as crick, it just sounds...'silly'?

Deleted
    I've heard of pants as in jeans/trousers and chips as in crisps (Not chippy chips!) but never crick and creek..