So I'm working on my newest writing endeavor, and I need your help!

Hello everyone!

I've been a writer for several years now, and I'm looking to start a new storyline with new characters and new plot - I've got the bad habit of stringing together stories and ideas

I've got a general idea for my storyline, but I need characters - more specifically, characters with depth. That's where you all can come in. I'm not asking for you to give me a "Fill in the blank" character sheet. You know, the whole "Name: Jonny. Age: 18. Hobbies: Building computers, building model airplanes, frequent "alone time", etc.". I'm looking for real stories. Not necessarily the one you're living, but one that could result in a deep, meaningful character.

We've all seen the "Beautiful, stupid, busty woman who finds a secret healing power", "Masculine, buff, tough male who will fight through every challenge", or the "Nerdy, smart, unorthodox-thinking skinny teen who is able to outsmart the evil government agents and hack into their networks, stealing sensitive documents and selling them to fuel his desire for Mountain Dew and Hot Pockets".

I'm not looking for rehashed content - as I can tell everyone is such a huge fan of - but for something new. New characters, new stories, and new ideas.

Now, to note: This is not going to be a fantasy story necessarily. It still has enough room to blossom into nearly any genera (I tend to let the story tell itself - I'm merely the medium who is able to type), be it sci-fi, romance, etc.; so any character ideas are very much appreciated!

Looking forward to hearing what you've all got to say
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Just base the personalities off of parts of yourself, or people you know IRL. That's what I did, it works a lot better that way working with something you know.

I also write stuff too.

I don't know if asking someone for a personality will really work out that well.

Deleted
    Woooo character creation/design, my absolute favorite thing ever

Anywho, for obvious reasons I'm not letting you have any of the myriads of characters I made, however, I shall share some ideas and base concepts!

First of all while the setting isn't the important, the style is. Humor, dark, gritty, light hearted, whatever. Personally I love dark gritty morbid humor, and as such most of my characters are made for such a setting. You don't bring the same characters into a story about heroes as you do into a brutal morbid humor story. I got a bunch of ideas about the second, as heroes are generally overused all over the place.

I recently (Finished yesterday) a book by Joe Abercrombie called Best Served Cold, which has absolutely brilliant examples of such characters and I recommend you read both that, and Song of Ice and Fire if you haven't, if you want to create and get inspiration for character that are shades of grey and follow their own morale.

Anywho, the most interesting character from Best Served Cold, and as I found, the most original, was a very interesting man named Friendly. Basically, a character that is completely psychotic (As in he really is psychotic with a total lack of empathy, an inability to judge right from wrong) and has very severe OCD. He hates anything that can't be counted, he loves routine, and he loves his dice. He has no care for women, except they have hot voices and they're counting at which point he will be quite interested. If anyone insults his dice, he brutally kills everyone in the room. He also very much enjoys prisons, as they are the only place were everyone follows the rules.

Personally, if I were to create any character right now, I would go in that direction. Obviously not blatantly copy Abercrombie's character, but similar.

Otherwise, when creating a character I find the most important thing is to not make them perfect. Stereotypes (Especially in fantasy) do, unfortunately, work. However, they work better if you take the stereotype, twist it, turn it on its head, and then run with it. For dark gritty humor atleast. Take huge macho man who beats everything one. Sure you might be boring and make it a barbarian. Or you might take it as it is, remove all morales for him (For who needs morales) do something like make him lame on an entire side, or make him a ridiculous coward, or opposite of what I suggested give him a ton of morales and empathy, but for other reasons force him to ignore them can create a great inner struggle. The beautiful stupid busty woman, well sure. Make her a prostitute with herpes. Stereotype twisted, screwed with, and made properly adaptable for a bunch of hilarious jokes. I have no twisting of the last one, because every story involving a nerdy guy as a hero is generally just a messed up hope and reiimagining of the author, and those piss me off.

Anyways for more serious characters, well all characters really, just pile up on layers. Even a stupid, mindless stereotype can be made into something brilliant, don't scoff at a character just because they seem to jump right into a booth.

As for real stories, I have a bunch, but those I will keep to myself. I would suggest to just go out people watching though, gives you a bunch of new stories to tell. I generally do it with my job, as I get paid to do exactly that (Bouncer) but just sit down in a cafe somewere busy, or a bench or whatever. Look at people and make your own stories about them up, and go with that.

Anyways as I said, I absolutely love all forms of character creation (I'm hoping to get paid doing it) and would love to come with more feedback or help if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaw View Post
    Woooo character creation/design, my absolute favorite thing ever

Anywho, for obvious reasons I'm not letting you have any of the myriads of characters I made, however, I shall share some ideas and base concepts!

First of all while the setting isn't the important, the style is. Humor, dark, gritty, light hearted, whatever. Personally I love dark gritty morbid humor, and as such most of my characters are made for such a setting. You don't bring the same characters into a story about heroes as you do into a brutal morbid humor story. I got a bunch of ideas about the second, as heroes are generally overused all over the place.

I recently (Finished yesterday) a book by Joe Abercrombie called Best Served Cold, which has absolutely brilliant examples of such characters and I recommend you read both that, and Song of Ice and Fire if you haven't, if you want to create and get inspiration for character that are shades of grey and follow their own morale.

Anywho, the most interesting character from Best Served Cold, and as I found, the most original, was a very interesting man named Friendly. Basically, a character that is completely psychotic (As in he really is psychotic with a total lack of empathy, an inability to judge right from wrong) and has very severe OCD. He hates anything that can't be counted, he loves routine, and he loves his dice. He has no care for women, except they have hot voices and they're counting at which point he will be quite interested. If anyone insults his dice, he brutally kills everyone in the room. He also very much enjoys prisons, as they are the only place were everyone follows the rules.

Personally, if I were to create any character right now, I would go in that direction. Obviously not blatantly copy Abercrombie's character, but similar.

Otherwise, when creating a character I find the most important thing is to not make them perfect. Stereotypes (Especially in fantasy) do, unfortunately, work. However, they work better if you take the stereotype, twist it, turn it on its head, and then run with it. For dark gritty humor atleast. Take huge macho man who beats everything one. Sure you might be boring and make it a barbarian. Or you might take it as it is, remove all morales for him (For who needs morales) do something like make him lame on an entire side, or make him a ridiculous coward, or opposite of what I suggested give him a ton of morales and empathy, but for other reasons force him to ignore them can create a great inner struggle. The beautiful stupid busty woman, well sure. Make her a prostitute with herpes. Stereotype twisted, screwed with, and made properly adaptable for a bunch of hilarious jokes. I have no twisting of the last one, because every story involving a nerdy guy as a hero is generally just a messed up hope and reiimagining of the author, and those piss me off.

Anyways for more serious characters, well all characters really, just pile up on layers. Even a stupid, mindless stereotype can be made into something brilliant, don't scoff at a character just because they seem to jump right into a booth.

As for real stories, I have a bunch, but those I will keep to myself. I would suggest to just go out people watching though, gives you a bunch of new stories to tell. I generally do it with my job, as I get paid to do exactly that (Bouncer) but just sit down in a cafe somewere busy, or a bench or whatever. Look at people and make your own stories about them up, and go with that.

Anyways as I said, I absolutely love all forms of character creation (I'm hoping to get paid doing it) and would love to come with more feedback or help if you want.
    Honestly, I came up with two different scenarios while just reading what you had to say - more specifically what I've bolded.

I (honesty) think I might need you to ramble on a bit more and let me read what you've got to say. I can't quite put a finger on "why" exactly I was able to come up with some ideas (that I might just PM you to save filling up an entire post)...

...speaking of which, I think I might just do that now.

But do not fret others who may view this thread! I'm still very open and enthused to hear what you might say!
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com