Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    The pole was obviously on public property.

I'm not sure of the specific law, but they probably even have ownership rights of the pole now. They gave the people the option to come down and get it back too.

Really, I don't see how this is different from somebody smoking in a restaurant and then refusing to leave or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
    Usually I'll sit back and just think great, another person thinking this is America so I deserve what I have and you can't take it away because somewhere it says in some constiution/amendmant that I have the right when I actually have no idea what it pertains to. But I really think it was messed up when the lady said we'll leave it in the driveway if you'd like then changes it and says no you have to come pick it up.
    She probably did that because of how the man acted. Not the most professional thing to do, but it's likely within their rights.

Act like a jerk when you are breaking the law and somebody decides to compromise with you, and they'll probably get peeved and make you cross your Ts and dot your Is.

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    removing the pole was not a crime being that it was on the curb. however taking the pole away IS a crime, its theft by taking also deldot was ignoring a state rep who was demanding to know why 1 persons complaint justified pulling the poles.
    It doesn't matter how many people complain or that it wasn't noticed before or that other people have violating poles. We get ban appeals all the time that are like "Okay, I yeah, I called him a terrible idiot and that I wanted to feed his kittens to sharks, but so did this other guy in another thread and he didn't get infracted."

Does anyone actually think the government (or the moderators in this example) would stop and go, "OH, you're right. Since I missed that other guy, I'll just ignore the law and forget I saw your basketball pole/unban you."?

That excuse gets quite old.
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-03-28 at 01:02 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post

I'm not sure of the specific law, but they probably even have ownership rights of the pole now. They gave the people the option to come down and get it back too.

Really, I don't see how this is different from somebody smoking in a restaurant and then refusing to leave or something.

She probably did that because of how the man acted. Not the most professional thing to do, but it's likely within their rights.

Act like a jerk when you are breaking the law and somebody decides to compromise with you, and they'll probably get peeved and make you cross your Ts and dot your Is.
    If it was really a problem, why didn't they take the poles down as soon as they were put up, 60 years ago? Why is it a concern now? It seems like people just want to be dicks.

That woman had no right to tell the man that he had to go back inside his house, she was just being a *****. Not to mentioned she lied to him. She said that he'd be able to keep the pole right on his property, and that they had asked people if they wanted to keep their pole and everyone said no. You know what it's like dealing with government offices. It will take weeks, maybe even MONTHS of paper work and frustrating idiots and phone calls to get the pole back from their "custody". It's not even worth the effort they put you through it, and that's why he was so mad.
    Last edited by Viros; 2011-03-28 at 12:59 PM.

Deleted
    Everyone involved were dicks, idiots or bitches. Partially right, partially wrong and no-one willing to admit it.

Two brick walls bashing their heads together.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viros View Post
    If it was really a problem, why didn't they take the poles down as soon as they were put up, 60 years ago? Why is it a concern now?
    Could have been lack of notice, could have been new people enforcing the law more strictly than before and the previous generation let things slide. Either way, time doesn't matter in this case.

If 60 years is long enough that the law doesn't matter, where do you draw that line? At a year? 2 years?

If you draw that line at a year and some guy has had it up for 11 and a half months before it gets noticed, does that count? Can he even prove that it was up for a year? I mean who keeps a receipt for a basketball hoop for a year anyway?
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Deleted

That's quite probably the truth in this. It wasn't on private property, thusly it was in the ownership of the ones who's land it's on.

1. The first 3-5 feet of any property is owned by the city, it is part of the road's right of way.

2. The basketball hoop was on city property, making it property of the city. They had every right to remove it.

3. City zoning laws are usually clear and well published. If someone has a question about zoning, they can contact the city council (or city planer) for information.

4. When something like this happens, there is usually a public hearing at a city council meeting, where affected citizens can air complaints.

5. The guy was a moron, and she didn't want to deal with it. She had every right in this case.

6. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, and it won't be the last. If you think the local government did something wrong here, you are a dumbass.
    Last edited by sammiam; 2011-03-28 at 01:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are real." ~Abraham Lincoln

Deleted
    The basketball hoop had been there for 60 years. The Zoning laws are intended to prevent trees from falling on power lines/on the street etc - a threat that the basketball hoop obviously didn't cause.

Funny how the man never once uses a swear word. Also quite agravating when the woman tells him to go inside. Someone should've slapped the bitch at that point.

Anyways, Land of the Free carrying on as usual.

Deleted
    Anyone up for a revolution?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing wrong with this video is the fact that she said that it could left on the driveway but then refused to do so.

Other than that, they had every right to remove the poll. City property is city property.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    the pole was 60 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viros View Post
    Did you watch the video? It was some random asshole who complained to the city, and the poles had been there for 60 years. Why is it a problem?
    I never said the pole being there was a problem, but the fact remains that had it been on private property then they couldn't have taken it down. It being there for 60 years doesn't really matter from a legal standpoint. If its on city property then it is city property and they are free to do with it as they choose. I'm not saying that I agree with them for taking it down, but if its on public property then they can do that. Doesn't really matter who complains or why they decide to do it, they are allowed to. People from that area can of course speak up about it, complain to the appropriate people, not re-elect whomever either signed off on it or let it happen, etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    You mean shame on that supposed law officer for threatening the old guy to arrest him and his wife to make him mover his car, then lying about him being able to keep the hoop and insulting his wife out loud because she feels her authority doesn't require her to show any respect.

Just because you have the power doesn't make you right. That woman obviously took pleasure in threatening the guy into submission and has no business being in a position of authority.
    Last edited by Arganis; 2011-03-28 at 02:18 PM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness81 View Post
    I never said the pole being there was a problem, but the fact remains that had it been on private property then they couldn't have taken it down. It being there for 60 years doesn't really matter from a legal standpoint. If its on city property then it is city property and they are free to do with it as they choose. I'm not saying that I agree with them for taking it down, but if its on public property then they can do that. Doesn't really matter who complains or why they decide to do it, they are allowed to. People from that area can of course speak up about it, complain to the appropriate people, not re-elect whomever either signed off on it or let it happen, etc.
    Well it was on private property wasn't it? It's only that the first few yards from the road is land you own but can't use for certain reasons.

My point was that the pole was probably erected before any of these city zoning laws were implemented. But for most of the newer poles, they would've been erected knowing that it's not allowed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your tax dollars at work right there. You would think a department of transportation would have more important things to do this day and age.

That's the real crime here.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    You mean shame on that supposed law officer for threatening the old guy to arrest him and his wife over a basketball hoop, then lying about him being able to keep it and insulting his wife out loud because she feels her authority doesn't require her to show any respect.

Just because you have the power doesn't make you right.
    You'd think these asshole government workers would have the decency to at least put the poles BACK in the homes of the owners, but a few yards back so that it's on their private properly. How's that old man walking with a cane supposed to put the pole back in place after he finally does get it back (if ever)? Pay someone to do it? Pay someone to fix what these people messed up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Well it was on private property wasn't it? It's only that the first few yards from the road is land you own but can't use for certain reasons.

My point was that the pole was probably erected before any of these city zoning laws were implemented. But for most of the newer poles, they would've been erected knowing that it's not allowed.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think it was on private property. Had it been I believe they couldn't have done that. And yes, I understand the point of it being there for so long, possibly before the current zoning laws. But, something pre-dating current laws does not automatically grandfather it in, that would have to be stipulated in the laws. So it still could be considered a violation, and of course neither of us has any way of knowing if in fact it does pre-date the current laws or if it was in violation of whatever laws were in place back then.

I don't know how anyone can watch that video and be on the side of that woman.

Compromise, what compromise? Shame on that supposed law officer for threatening the old guy to arrest him and his wife over a basketball hoop, then lying about him being able to keep it and insulting his wife out loud because she feels her authority doesn't require her to be civil.

Just because you have the power doesn't mean you're right.
    A lot of people are giving that woman shit, and sure she could have acted better. But we are also only seeing this one particular interaction, and its very possible, in fact its pretty likely in my opinion, that she had been dealing with people like this guy for hours, days, or weeks as they went around taking these poles down and there is only so much you can take from people before you react to it. That doesn't maker her reaction correct, as she could have remained more professional, but I'm willing to believe she probably had some prior reasons for losing her cool.

You mean shame on that supposed law officer for threatening the old guy to arrest him and his wife over a basketball hoop, then lying about him being able to keep it and insulting his wife out loud because she feels her authority doesn't require her to show any respect.

Just because you have the power doesn't make you right.
    Pretty much this. For me the worst part is the lying in this case. That woman could have been somewhat civil, and defused the situation by not acting like a complete tool. Instead she decided to lie and threaten, which obviously is just going to escalate the situation by provoking the guy.

A lot of people are giving that woman shit, and sure she could have acted better. But we are also only seeing this one particular interaction, and its very possible, in fact its pretty likely in my opinion, that she had been dealing with people like this guy for hours, days, or weeks as they went around taking these poles down and there is only so much you can take from people before you react to it. That doesn't maker her reaction correct, as she could have remained more professional, but I'm willing to believe she probably had some prior reasons for losing her cool.
    That's still no reason to act the way she did. She knew what she was going to do that day when she woke up to go to work, she knew that people would react the way they would react, she should've been professional and not acted like a power-hungry bitch. Disgusting woman.

If it was my pole Id be putting a new one up and attatching it by chain to the underground water mains pipes. Sure it would be a pain to go without water for a couple of days but it would be damn funny to see the look on their faces as they pull up the water mains )))

Does no one notice this is in a development away from main roads? This means several things to begin with. These roads are considered private roads in some instances. Meaning that no they are not city property. This may not be true in this case but it is something to think about. Also the basketball hoop being in that particular spot for x amount of time does matter. After 20 years of being present notoriously clearly and continously* without interruption means you then own the piece of land. So if said house owners lived there for more then 20 years and that hoop had been there the entire time and never taken down during, well they own that piece of land now. Granted the city will do what they want and the only thing you can do is boot whoever out of office, but rights were infringed upon. If said person lived in a development in which the streets are considered private. All you would have to do is look to their stops signs and if the stop sign is in a state where stickers dignify city or county placed stop signs as opposed to private (most are) then if the closest stop sign between them and a main road does not have one. Chances are you are on a private road way. So yes their rights were infringed upon. Now if it is not and it is a city street, that street is a dead end so the rules are a little different there as well. Even so for different states and counties and cities. So no one can no for certain if his rights were infringed upon unless you are a lawyer familiar with their city code and so on and so forth.

The woman was caught threatening a peaceful citizen without being in any type of uniform. Meaning the only person who should have been talking to the citizen was the police officer. If she worked for the city her job was to get the crew to get the pole and leave. The police officer should have been the person talking to the citizen. So the entire thing has a wrongness about it.

Calling Americans stupid or ignorant or from a entitlement society is all fine and dandy but in most cases we fight for what we believe in be it right or wrong. But at least most of us fight for ourselves. Can most other countries say that too? Yes they can and do fight for their ideals. Do you in particular probably not if you resort to degrading people who at least try to defend themselves. Not that mans fault that this is the biggest infringement upon his rights he feels he currently has. But it is his fight.

15+ Year Old Account
    She's a police officer, it's part of her job to act professional in delicate situations. Not instigate hostilities with cripples by resorting to unnecessary threats in hopes of using force to resolve the situation. You can tell she would have been all too happy to drag his ass to jail if he'd made the wrong move. That's what's disgusting.
    Facilis Descensus Averno