Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vantheus View Post
    Good it should have been removed, private property ends at the sidewalk so that was city property. No rights violated just idiots who think they know the law qq'ing. It's trashy to have those hoops out and in most places not even allowed on private property in front of house b/c it lowers property value. Trashy people always support trash and quote rights that dont exist

Ok so where are the kids going to play now? The park? Nah, that was converted into a golf course to be enjoyed by rich white men. The bowling alley? Nah, they had to close down due to the economic collapse. The Mall? Yeah, let's all go to America's greatest past time. The place where you buy shit you don't need.

Whether that pole was on private property or not it gave kids an incentive to play sports. That alone is worth FAR more than stupid property value.

Quote Originally Posted by Elixor View Post
    Actually hope she gets shot by someone :P She looked kinda bitchy.

Poor dude & dudette.

Fucking police.

First : You never wish someone to be shot .. an admin should ban you
    Second : yes, it sucks .. poor people
    Third : The police has nothing to do with the removal of those hoops, They've had their orders from someone higher (the mayor probally)

To make this complete:

Fourth : ???????
    Fifth : Profit ?
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viros View Post
    Did you not watch the video and hear the conversation? Are we not watching the same video? First he asked if they would leave the pole on his property, they said yes. This was before he started screaming at her. Then when they pulled the pole out they started driving away with it, and that's when he started screaming.

She lied to him. Unprofessional.
    When she initially mentions that they can keep it, a guy behind the camera states pretty clearly that it's a courtesy they've generally been extending.

It's not lying to choose not to extend a courtesy. And these two were already hassle enough that they had to come back, with police backup, to do their job. And yes, the guy was being obstinate and difficult from the very start of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness81 View Post
    That's true, she did say they could keep it and then said they had to pick it up. The law doesn't say they can keep it right there though, that does seem to be a courtesy that they were extending which they then revoked. That couple was not acting very well either and brought much of that down on themselves. They had been warned about it, they had a chance to remove it themselves, then the lady climbs up on the pole and refuses to come down, then later on when they come back she threatens to do it again. What goes around comes around. You can't act like a spoiled child and expect people to treat you like an adult.
    So apparently fighting for what you think is right is acting like a spoiled child? Hell, yea it's just a pole, but it's the principal of the thing. If you're going to let them do this, where does it end? Every little new law can be made until you have an ounce of freedom left, as mundane and trivial as those laws may be, for whatever reason as well.

The man states that when they sent them letters, the office didn't even have the courtesy to reply to the man and his state rep's replies. If you're just going to let people push you around without even getting a reply from them, what kind of person does that make you out to be? He will never be able to get his pole back, through all that paperwork and dealing with the idiots working there.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know that she's a police officer. But yes, it was her job to act professionally and she fell a little short of that although she wasn't that out of line. You are crazy if you don't think those people weren't in the wrong as well. They were not being reasonable, were threatening to climb up on the pole and stay there, etc. The threat of being arrested for their actions was not out of line.
    I guess we just don't see the world in the same way. On one hand I see an old guy with a crutch in front of his home that doesn't want to see his basketball hoop bulldozed and taken away and on the other I see a supposed state official that looks like she just rolled out of bed, threatening to arrest everybody if she doesn't have her way, then overtly lying to the guy and finally insulting his wife out loud.

So no, I don't think the woman is "falling a little short", I think she's being downright shameful and should be fired. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

---------- Post added 2011-03-28 at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    When she initially mentions that they can keep it, a guy behind the camera states pretty clearly that it's a courtesy they've generally been extending.

It's not lying to choose not to extend a courtesy. And these two were already hassle enough that they had to come back, with police backup, to do their job. And yes, the guy was being obstinate and difficult from the very start of the video.
    She says they'd leave it in the driveway, she should do what she says. That's all there is to it.
    Last edited by Arganis; 2011-03-28 at 03:09 PM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viros View Post
    So apparently fighting for what you think is right is acting like a spoiled child? Hell, yea it's just a pole, but it's the principal of the thing. If you're going to let them do this, where does it end? Every little new law can be made until you have an ounce of freedom left, as mundane and trivial as those laws may be, for whatever reason as well.

The man states that when they sent them letters, the office didn't even have the courtesy to reply to the man and his state rep's replies. If you're just going to let people push you around without even getting a reply from them, what kind of person does that make you out to be? He will never be able to get his pole back, through all that paperwork and dealing with the idiots working there.
    Climbing up on a pole and refusing to come down is acting like a spoiled child. There are ways to fight back against this, and its not to take it out on the people sent out to enforce the law. They didn't wake up that day and say "hey, let's go fuck with an old man because its fun". They are simply doing their job. We have no way of knowing what letters they sent in, when they were sent, what they said, or any of that. I have no trouble at all doubting that this guy followed the proper process of what to do based on the actions of both him and his wife in this case. Even if he did that still doesn't excuse them acting that way to the woman and the cops there.

Also, I think taking this to the "where does it end" hyperbole is a bit much. Its a law that keeps streets clear of obstructions, which they violated with a basketball hoop. This isn't exactly 1984 unfolding before our eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    I guess we just don't see the world in the same way. On one hand I see an old guy with a crutch in front of his home that doesn't want to see his basketball hoop bulldozed and taken away and on the other I see a supposed state official that looks like she just rolled out of bed, threatening to arrest everybody if she doesn't have her way, then overtly lying to the guy and finally insulting his wife out loud.

So no, I don't think the woman is "falling a little short", I think she's being downright shameful and should be fired. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
    You are right, we do see it differently. Do you think that the couple was acting appropriately in response to this? That woman, the police, and whomever else was there was just doing their jobs. If they wanted to fight it there are other ways to do it and taking it out on the people who are doing their jobs isn't a good way to go about it. I'll agree that they shouldn't have backed out on their promise to leave it there with that couple, but according to the law they weren't supposed to do that in the first place so it was a courtesy being extended to them that they took back when the couple acted the way they did. I don't blame the woman or the people from not being nice and friendly at that point.

The woman climbed up the pole and refused to leave, even after several cops were called. The cops and everyone left without incident and they came back later to remove the pole. She threatened to climb up again and was told she'd be stopped and arrested for it. Exactly what was wrong with that?
    Last edited by Wilderness; 2011-03-28 at 03:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You are right, we do see it differently. Do you think that the couple was acting appropriately in response to this? That woman, the police, and whomever else was there was just doing their jobs. If they wanted to fight it there are other ways to do it and taking it out on the people who are doing their jobs isn't a good way to go about it. I'll agree that they shouldn't have backed out on their promise to leave it there with that couple, but according to the law they weren't supposed to do that in the first place so it was a courtesy being extended to them that they took back when the couple acted the way they did. I don't blame the woman or the people from not being nice and friendly at that point.
    I need to leave, so this will be my final response on the subject but the point is that woman chooses to leverage every ounce of her state given authority against the poor sod and that's simply the wrong choice, given the situation. I'm pretty sure had she shown a tiny bit of compassion and talked to him for more then 5 minutes without acting like he was vermin then the situation would have gone without incident.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    She lied which is true, however the state has the right to enforce public safety laws.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    She lied which is true, however the state has the right to enforce public safety laws.
    Public safety? What's that guy going to do? He can barely walk as it is.

Forget my post, I didn't get what you meant by "public safety".
    Last edited by Arganis; 2011-03-28 at 04:05 PM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Public safety? What's that guy going to do? He can barely walk as it is.
    In America It is Illegal to play any games on a public Road. that guy might not use the hoop but the kids next door might, and that is a public safety issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I need to leave, so this will be my final response on the subject but the point is that woman chooses to leverage every ounce of her state given authority against the poor sod and that's simply the wrong choice, given the situation. I'm pretty sure had she shown a tiny bit of compassion and talked to him for more then 5 minutes without acting like he was vermin then the situation would have gone without incident.
    I know you said you had to go, but perhaps you'll see this later on if you happen to check this thread. This is taken from Link
    After DelDOT crews found resident Melissa McCafferty sitting atop one of the basketball hoops that was scheduled to be torn down, the woman refused to come down. In negotiating with the woman, a trooper asked for assistance and three additional state police troopers quickly arrived at the scene along Hilldale Court, Hale said. “We were simply there to try to talk her into coming down off the pole,” Hale said.
    After it became apparent the woman would not get down, troopers left and did not make an arrest, Hale said. Shortly after, DelDOT workers returned.
    What that leads me to believe is that they had been dealing with this couple for some time, not just the couple minutes on the video, and so she wasn't just walking up to them and throwing her power around. The old woman's earlier actions and threats to do it again warranted the threats of being arrested, in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know you said you had to go, but perhaps you'll see this later on if you happen to check this thread. This is taken from Link

What that leads me to believe is that they had been dealing with this couple for some time, not just the couple minutes on the video, and so she wasn't just walking up to them and throwing her power around. The old woman's earlier actions and threats to do it again warranted the threats of being arrested, in my opinion.
    Well that's why I don't watch the news. You can only ever see what people want you to see. So ya, in light of this information, you're right. They had it coming to them and the time for talk was over. Still that woman's definitely got a bad attitude and overtly lying while threatening a guy with a crutch on camera as a state official is pretty idiotic, if anything else.

Kudos, on making your point. On that note I'm out the door.

Have a good one Wilder. =)
    Last edited by Arganis; 2011-03-28 at 04:12 PM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    In America It is Illegal to play any games on a public Road. that guy might not use the hoop but the kids next door might, and that is a public safety issue.
    It was a Cul de sac, where the hell does a car need to go in a Cul de sac? the only reason i see it as a violation is that it obstructs parking space and even then they all had parking lots on their front property.

Its not a public safety issue here because it was close to the end of the street, and although it was in public property, a car does not need an entire fucking Cul de sac to make a U-turn, which is what they were implying was the "Safety issue" since kids would be playing on the edge.

And im afraid the "Illegal" reasoning does not apply here, because that pole was placed BY THE STATE, not the private owners, on that public block over 60 years ago. And the fact that they consider it Illegal after the fact makes it a stupid complaint at best.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Solidseal View Post
    First : You never wish someone to be shot .. an admin should ban you
    Second : yes, it sucks .. poor people
    Third : The police has nothing to do with the removal of those hoops, They've had their orders from someone higher (the mayor probally)

To make this complete:

Fourth : ???????
    Fifth : Profit ?
    1: You should kill me then, I wish all humans would just die away. I don´t think a ban is enough?
    2: Yes indeed.
    3: He stands there with his cowboy hat derping at the sun, while the blonde & dude goes nuts.
    4:?
    5:?

15+ Year Old Account
    wow she should be fired and fast.
    *Edit* She also said they can come pick it up but it was clear in the video that they did not care if the damaged it or not.
    2nd Edit* Yes i know she lied to start with by saying they will leave it there and then you heard her in the background saying take it.
    Last edited by sharpy; 2011-03-28 at 04:26 PM.

Deleted
    HAHAHA... all I can say that USA is one fucked up country... REALLY!
    <Mod edit: Infracted>
    Last edited by Chelly; 2011-03-29 at 07:17 AM.

USA ftw :>
    Last edited by menulo; 2011-03-28 at 05:01 PM.

Watching the video more closely, I can see why they took the pole instead of leaving it. The Woman was going to leave the pole, but she kept telling the man "You cannot sit here and taunt these people."

If he had shut his mouth when she told him that the pole could be put in his drive way, then it likely would have. He stood there behind the camera and kept running his mouth though.

I think the people supporting the city/police in this thread are not seeing the forest for the trees. The hoop/pole and whether the officer chose to leave it are just symptoms of a much larger problem. The misuse of authority is what this is really about. The guy in the video clearly followed up on the city's letter and did not receive a response; so what's the point of sending the letter at all? The DOT might as well just show up and rip out the poles with no letter sent ahead of time. And in that case, they should just be able to rip up trees, or block up driveways whenever they like. Maybe they'll start telling people they can't be on their own property...oh wait, the cop in that video already was. The gradual degradation of personal rights. It's the best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    It was a Cul de sac
    Doesn't matter, the law is the law. top it off Delaware has the law that nothing can be within 7 feet of a curb. So it seems unfair but the law is black and white on that issue.

Also if you are hit by a car going 10-20mph you could easily die, take a look how fast people do U-Turns in Cul de sac's its a bit scary really. there is a reason why they are also called Dead Ends;-p

If
    because that pole was placed BY THE STATE
    is true then there is no debate the Sate has even more right to remove it.