Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Stavles for Shamans

Are stalves any good for ele shamans now? Or is a shield and 1 hander still optimal? Only reason I ask is because of up up coming Legendary Caster staff.

Until we know what it does, no one knows

Shield is a mustfor pvp, but for pve a shield is no different from a mage and an offhand. So yes ele should be able to roll on it or however its going down this time.

My staff is a good one

Technically, staffs or even staves would be correct, not stalves.

Depending one what exactly the legendary does will determine if it is good or not. From what I've seen, MH weapon/shield is more common than staffs.
    Friends: Will help you move.
    Best Friends: Will help you move the Bodies

10+ Year Old Account
    I think MH+OH always works out to be better then a Staff no? Because of the +40 int to Off-hand enchant? However, Legendary Staff would probably make a bit bigger difference than having an Off-hand with +40 int.

However, a Shaman using a Staff in PVE is no different than anyone else. Just because your offhand CAN be a shield, doesn't mean it has to be. Quite like how a Mage can wield a sword, doesn't mean he has to wield a sword.. he can use daggers/staves too. Put it this way, every class that can use a Staff, can also use an off-hand. There's no benefit to using a staff unless it has better stats, that's all.

Staffs* that is the reason shamans don't use staffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Merin View Post
    My staff is a good one
    "dont report anything, i might get in trouble "

10+ Year Old Account
    Staves are slightly suboptimal for every caster that can use one. The stat combination of a 1-hander and an offhand is just slightly better, once you count in the enchants.

That said, there's absolutely no reason to assume the legendary staff will be bad for us. I'm predicting that it will be probably be a hit rating/mastery staff, since the hit rating helps restrict it to DPS casters, and mastery is the new stat for Cata so this gives them a chance to push it. Regardless, unless it's Crit-based with a terrible proc, we're probably going to want it as much as anyone.

Basically what Endus said. In order for a staff to be best it would need to have more stats than a 1-hander + OH + 40 intellect for your OH enchant.

It's funny though that most shamans say 1h + shield, instead of 1h + OH because there have been times when a regular OH was BiS over a shield. It was rare, but it happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    A 1h+shield is alwys better than a staff. Staves aren't terrible, but I would go with the 1h+shield. to max/min go with the 1h+shield.

(this being if they are the same ilvl and stats that is)

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly believed the title name was a mistype for "Stables" since my v & b are right next to each other on the keyboard.
    My first thought "what in the world would shamans need to use stables for?"
    so I curiously clicked and was sorely disappointed to find it just bad grammar on the word Staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

Right now there isn't a staff optimized for an ele shaman. If the legendary staff has haste/mastery on it though I can assure you it will be BiS without a second glance. If it has an on hit proc that doesn't have an internal it will be BiS. If it is crit/spirit then it will not be BiS and an mh/oh will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcream View Post
    Right now there isn't a staff optimized for an ele shaman. If the legendary staff has haste/mastery on it though I can assure you it will be BiS without a second glance. If it has an on hit proc that doesn't have an internal it will be BiS. If it is crit/spirit then it will not be BiS and an mh/oh will be better.
    The stats on a legendary have never been the reason for an item being BiS. It's always been the value of the equip proc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahdik View Post
    The stats on a legendary have never been the reason for an item being BiS. It's always been the value of the equip proc.
    While that is true, it could be poorly itemized and make people second guess it if it wasn't the end all be all of procs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to run with a staff since I couldn't find a decent enough shield till I bought the JP shield in Org. Staff weapons are ok, as others have said, but having two enchants instead of just one (plus sometimes the 1h+OH/Shield stats combined are slightly better) is great. Plus, only two classes use caster shields: Holy Paladins and Ele/Resto shamans so you're more likely to not have to worry about fighting a crowd of classes.

The bigger they are, the harder I hit'em

10+ Year Old Account
    While that is true, it could be poorly itemized and make people second guess it if it wasn't the end all be all of procs.
    The only stat it could have that would remotely make it suboptimal for us would be Crit. And a good proc would more than outweigh that.

If it has any stats BUT Crit, it likely could have a terrible proc and still be BiS.

it could be poorly itemized
    In what world would Blizzard make a poorly itemized LEGENDARY weapon? The itemization could not possibly be bad enough to outweigh the proc, which is always the selling point of oranges.

It's a caster weapon. It will not have spirit, as mages/locks do not benefit from spirit. You can pretty much assume that it will have static haste and crit, and probably some sort of stacking mastery or damage proc(ala RotU/RotD).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    Are stalves any good for ele shamans now? Or is a shield and 1 hander still optimal? Only reason I ask is because of up up coming Legendary Caster staff.
    as good as for any other caster, since there isn´t an exclusive shield enchant anymore

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahdik View Post
    It's funny though that most shamans say 1h + shield, instead of 1h + OH because there have been times when a regular OH was BiS over a shield. It was rare, but it happened.
    Such as the Heroic book off of Halfus.