Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Last i checked, 20 and 24 is not qualified to be considered a teenager. But when your 19-24 your a legal adult, and can have kids if you choose. The 16yo's though sounds like they need to learn about safe sex. But kids these days are in such a hurry to grow up, Even learning properly about sex probably wouldn't have helped them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    Oh dear, another topic I told myself I would not touch with a ten-foot pole, but I feel as though I should throw in my 2 cents.

A lot of people have a tendency to think that a 16 or 17 year old female is a baby, and that teenagers are incapable of love, which, of course, is horseshit. Teen pregnancy is looked down upon because society has branded it as wrong, even though it's quite natural, and some would argue that the average female's best years for reproduction are 16-30. If we look at humans as just another species on this planet, it would make sense to have children young (not too young of course, the body must be developed), but all of our customs and rules get in the way of logical thinking. Instead of just being humans, we have to mold ourselves into little robots and abide by rules, many of which, do not make much sense.

The only reason why it's not a good idea to have children at 16 or 17 is because of how our present society works. There's not enough support for mothers in general, and society has made up a bunch of stupid 'values' with regards to young mothers.
    If you want to be a stay at home mom you have to work for a very long time and save up quite a bit of money if you're the average Western woman. And I'm sure that many of those women lose the opportunity to have children because of the time it takes to prepare; fertility issues, on average, start around 30.

I just wish that one day people will realize that a girl who has had a child at a young age is not 'stupid,' or a 'slut.' Maybe she made a mistake, maybe she didn't, but chances are that she's actually trying her hardest to give her kid the best she can. People should be giving her encouragement and support, not vitriol and stink-eyes.

Those shows, such as "16 and Pregnant" only show a minority of stupid 'Beverly Hills' wannabes that use their children as dolls and to gain celebrity status. But I've seen many adult women who do the exact same thing. It tells you that age is only a number.

Rukah, where did you get the idea that 19 to 25 is young? I'd say that 20 is a good middle ground, so to speak, and 25 to 30 is getting near the end.

If anyone has questions or needs me to clarify anything, just ask.
    No, you can't blame this one on society. Society has a point when it comes to this issue.

On average (at least in the Western world) we end secondary education/highschool at 17-18. Then people either get a job or continue their education until the early 20s in college. If you wind up getting pregnant at 18 and under you do not have the chance to do these things without having some sort of sacrifice, because you have to be responsible for your child. You only have one life, why miss out on years of self-exploration and finding out what you want your career to be by leashing yourself to a home to properly care for your child? It is not good idea. Yes some people can do it, but it'll be harder on them instead of waiting until you're financially and emotionally stable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    I'd say that 20 is a good middle ground, so to speak
    Only if you're from the ghetto, a complete hilljack, or living in the early 1800s... or a twelve year old posting on a video game forum.

Late teenagers aren't responsible enough to raise a child. People don't even know who the hell they are or what they'll do in life until they're at least in their 20s. Having to raise children at that age is acceptable, but choosing to do it is like taking an axe to your own legs. If your only goal in life is to procreate, you're pretty much fucked anyway. Women in the U.S. are procreating less and later in life than they ever have before. Why? Because they're getting smarter as time goes by. They're investing in themselves and what they want to do in life instead of polluting an already crowded pool with their genes.
    Last edited by Callace; 2011-03-29 at 08:20 AM.

I have this really fucked up opinon that I dont realy tell people that much...
    I think people over 30 shouldnt get kids..at all. If you want kids, get em when you are around 22-28. The reason (imo) is that having older parents is really, really awkward. My parents got me in their 40s. Now im 20 and my dad is 62. It just feels weird.

"Remember there is always something cleaverer than yourself"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigroll View Post
    I think people over 30 shouldnt get kids..at all. If you want kids, get em when you are around 22-28. The reason (imo) is that having older parents is really, really awkward. My parents got me in their 40s. Now im 20 and my dad is 62. It just feels weird.
    I have a friend with a much older parent. She sides with him against the people that are naysayers. People ask if he's her grandfather, she tells them to piss off, and he turns around to buy her a new BMW with his accumulated savings.
    Last edited by Callace; 2011-03-29 at 08:22 AM.

Deleted
    I'd rather have awkward parents than parents that can't raise me cause of economic/mental issues. Ofcourse old parents doesn't automaticly mean they're awkward and young parents can raise a child mighty fine.

I think it's kinda wrong to look at age to determine when to have kids. So many more important factors out there.

That is really childish. He is your dad, why does his age matter to you? Be happy he was able to take care of you and wasn't a broke teenager when he had you.

As i said, that my opinion. Also, if you cant raise a kid because of mental/economic problems, dont get a kid. This does not apply if you unintentionaly get pregnant ofc

"Remember there is always something cleaverer than yourself"

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I had older parents. My parents were so young and poor and disorganized that they couldn't even rent a musical instrument for me growing up. That's not a life.

The way I see it, being older can only lead to more stability, which is needed in spades to raise a human being. Having kids off the bat is just handicapping yourself, needlessly.

Deleted
    I know this may seem abit offtopic, I sure hope not.
    I know a girl who got pregnant at the age of 15 I think, got the baby as 16, though she is now 18? I think that kid has had a rough period.
    Seems to me its always the grandparents who takes care of him, such a shame beeing a witness to a mom, who doesn't even try to take care of her own child? Im my honest opinion its pathetic.

For my own behalf, I dont mind teenagers getting children, as long as they are cable of taking care of their baby mostly them selves, of course they will from time to time need assistance, but thats a generel rule of thumb aint it?

On a side note, I really, really wanna become a father in the near future, and are having a hard time waiting, though both my fiance and my self are "only" the age of 20. We have decided for the future years still to wait till we have our own place up and running completly, as said.
    Money isen't everything, it just helps out a great deal.

//Spiff out.

Lewisham (right near where i live) used to have the highest rate of teen pregnancy in the uk, there is a general idea that people who have kids when they are like 16 are lazy, unemployed and uneducated. not always true though, my geography teacher at college told me he had a 17 year old girl who was pregnant in the year and managed to get three A grades.

Deleted
    There is for no-one a reason to get pregnant at a young age, enough possibilities to prevent it.
    And that's exactly what I told my 2 daughters

Those who do are you just plain stupid, but hey that's my opinion

Deleted
    It's all down to education and culture.

If you educate a women and give her the same oppotunities as everyone else she's less likely to have children early, and when she does have children she won't have many.

If you leave them poorly educated and give them no chance to 'make something' of themselves then they'll happily sit there squirting out as many kids as possible.

Deleted
    <---- 3 children before 18, now have 6. (All with my wife)

We've been happy ever since. I've have a decent job, went to university, own home.......being "to young" to have kids, doesn't mean the end of the world thank you very much
    Last edited by mmoc3c347a2199; 2011-03-29 at 09:04 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Telila View Post
    <---- 3 children before 18, now have 6. (All with my wife)
    that sounds like a lot of BS

Quote Originally Posted by Tomoya View Post
    that sounds like a lot of BS
    Sounds like a story where a lot of important details were skipped on. Rich parents? A lot of help?

Deleted
    Not at all.

First 1 was born day after my 16th birthday (3-9) .... my eldest boy

Second was born (30-10) the following year (Girl), and the 3rd (3-10) the following year (Another boy)

Exactly 2 years 1 month from 1st birth, to 3rd.....4th didnt come until 2004 though

Quote Originally Posted by Viros View Post
    Sounds like a story where a lot of important details were skipped on. Rich parents? A lot of help?
    Not really, lower-middle of the road parents, and not a huge amount of cash ever.....But in-laws have been lots of help obviously =)
    Last edited by mmoc3c347a2199; 2011-03-29 at 09:09 AM.

Deleted
    Im 24, my mrs was on the pill but got pregnant. Wouldnt change it for anything now, there is no set age imo. Just have a place of you're own and a job, then you are good to go

Quote Originally Posted by Telila View Post
    Not at all.

First 1 was born day after my 16th birthday (3-9) .... my eldest boy

Second was born (30-10) the following year (Girl), and the 3rd (3-10) the following year (Another boy)

Exactly 2 years 1 month from 1st birth, to 3rd.....4th didnt come until 2004 though

Not really, lower-middle of the road parents, and not a huge amount of cash ever.....But in-laws have been lots of help obviously =)
    Still though, okay, good for you, congrats on having it work out.

However, having kids at such a young age puts a lot of limitations on what you can hope to achieve in life. No matter what you do, there will always be that responsibility at home that you HAVE (if you're to be a good parent) to go back for, and chances are you'll be stuck in the same place you grew up for the rest of your life. Why cut off your potential without even realizing it first?

---------- Post added 2011-03-29 at 05:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Littlevicar View Post
    Im 24, my mrs was on the pill but got pregnant. Wouldnt change it for anything now, there is no set age imo. Just have a place of you're own and a job, then you are good to go
    24 is already fine :/ Teenagers are the more problematic ones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Viros View Post
    However, having kids at such a young age puts a lot of limitations on what you can hope to achieve in life. No matter what you do, there will always be that responsibility at home that you HAVE (if you're to be a good parent) to go back for, and chances are you'll be stuck in the same place you grew up for the rest of your life. Why cut off your potential without even realizing it first?

I won't say it has been easy, or that maybe couldn't have achieved more without them (And yes we do live where we were both born)....but I wouldn't change 1 second of the last 13 years for all the money/chances/prospects in the world