Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggiej View Post
    Bassnectar, good dub step. And for those kids who are afraid of drugs still because of what mom told them., I am not a stoner and don't have to be stoned to enjoy some good dub step.
    Bassnectar is awful..only slightly less so than Skrillex....again dubstep was about creating something new....if you have heard one bassnectar track, you've heard them all.

Quote Originally Posted by buddahchase View Post
    This. Besides, he wants to be Daft Punk so badly it hurts. It's sad really.
    You seem to be informed for electronic music. But a comment about Deadmau5 like this kind of kills any valid points you may make. He's a kid in his mid-late 20's making electronic music... Of course he is going to be heavily influenced by Daft Punk as that was "mainstream" electro in the 90's...
    Now in terms of calling him another masked producer with a laptop -- check out his studio and what he using to make his beats. He's far from another laptop jockey such as Girltalk.
    Congratulations, your mind has been expanded.

Quote Originally Posted by kintharis View Post
    dubstep used to be very very good but then it became mainstream (no im not hipster ill explain why it ruined it) and it started getting played in all the clubs i go to. and the problem with dubstep is alot of it sounds very very similar and its very simple to make so loads and loads of crap dubstep appeared but it still got played in clubs so at points it jsut sounded like you had been listening to the same song for the last 4 hours.

for good dubstep listen to Mt.Eden(sierra leone is very good) and chase and status(eastern jam) have one or two good ones.

now someone please explain to me why todays pop music is good. i don't get it at all.
    LOL WTH. You're saying that Dubstep "used to be very very good" in combination with Mt.Eden, some guy that just puts "wobbles" into every song and calls it a Dubstep remix and Chase and Status who produce DNB and have become more then mainstream over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post
    It's like a robot having a seizure.

Fuck yeah, Skrillex

The beginning made me immediately think of Deus Ex. Weird...

Quote Originally Posted by Mossmantle View Post
    You seem to be informed for electronic music. But a comment about Deadmau5 like this kind of kills any valid points you may make. He's a kid in his mid-late 20's making electronic music... Of course he is going to be heavily influenced by Daft Punk as that was "mainstream" electro in the 90's...
    Now in terms of calling him another masked producer with a laptop -- check out his studio and what he using to make his beats. He's far from another laptop jockey such as Girltalk.
    bad logic is bad....most artists can cite numerous "influences"....good artists don't produce crap that all sounds the same while trying to copy said influence....in the rock world...they're called cover bands/tribute bands....in electronic music i guess they are called geniuses /rolls eyes.
    Last edited by Generationwhy; 2011-03-30 at 12:21 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossmantle View Post
    It'd the mask thing really. He doesn't need to wear one, he just does. Not to say i don't like masked musicians, because i do (MF DOOM in particular) but it's clearly his way of emulating Daft Punk.

I realize I genuinely dislike American singers except for country and some Pop. The best techno/dance/trance/electronica is European. Warp Brothers, Binary Finary, Daft Punk, Eiffel 65, SM-Trax, DJ Alligator, Vengaboys, and many more, all great. From America I enjoy some Johnny Vicious, but that's about it.

my two favorites are concrete jungle by glebstar and where's my money by caspa.

Concrete Jungle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR3MMOWWv7A

Where's my money: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tlhvFusnPI
    Q. Why are there so few female politicians?
    A. Because it takes too long to makeup on two faces

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    I realize I genuinely dislike American singers except for country and some Pop. The best techno/dance/trance/electronica is European. Warp Brothers, Binary Finary, Daft Punk, Eiffel 65, SM-Trax, DJ Alligator, Vengaboys, and many more, all great. From America I enjoy some Johnny Vicious, but that's about it.
    LOL @ anyone arguing about good music who would include Eiffel 65.....

as for american "techno" the cities of Detroit and Chicago say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by buddahchase View Post
    Also, You can not write off a whole genre just because of the people that listen to it.
    No matter how good a certain music genre may be, the majority of its fanbase will always be composed of complete idiots.

Not that I like Dubstep, but you know. It's something people overlook.
    - Dreams. What are dreams? Dreams are nothing, my brother.
    - Dreams are nothing, sister? Without dreams, there could be no despair.

Quote Originally Posted by Generationwhy View Post
    LOL @ anyone arguing about good music who would include Eiffel 65.....

as for american "techno" the cities of Detroit and Chicago say hi.
    E65's older stuff is good. Blue may be a but stupid, but it got so popular for a reason. They have a lot of good beats, Move Your Body, My Console, Too Much of Heaven, Dub in this Life. Others may disagree, I will stick to enjoying these songs. I have lived in both Detroit and Chicago, and I stand by my decision to dislike most American techno. It just lacks something that Eurodance has.

Ignore the mainstream explosion and look into the subgenre Future Garage. Burial is widely considered the king of not only that subgenre, but dubstep in general. Phaeleh is another up and coming future garage artist.

Who cares?
    It's music. I don't understand country...I happen to hate it, but I won't bash it.
    I love it. I think it's great. I love booming bass, and I love techno :3
    You are entitled to your opinion I guess.

P.S I saw Skrillex last month. Who is jelly?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnett View Post
    No matter how good a certain music genre may be, the majority of its fanbase will always be composed of complete idiots.

Not that I like Dubstep, but you know. It's something people overlook.

This is why most fans and artists of said genre move on....they've already done so with dubstep...now the masses are claiming it and good artists are producing other things now....continuing to experiment and express new ideas/inspiration/etc....

It's also why its easy to brush things off as trying to be oh so "hipster" and into the newest, greatest thing....but it's largely true....most pioneers of a genre...did so because they were wanting to create something new....it can't be new for that long....once people like skrillex and bassnectar popped up (and their tracks all sounded the same) and that is what becomes synonymous with the genre it's basically fodder for the bandwagoners.

---------- Post added 2011-03-29 at 07:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    E65's older stuff is good. Blue may be a but stupid, but it got so popular for a reason. They have a lot of good beats, Move Your Body, My Console, Too Much of Heaven, Dub in this Life. Others may disagree, I will stick to enjoying these songs. I have lived in both Detroit and Chicago, and I stand by my decision to dislike most American techno. It just lacks something that Eurodance has.

again arguing about "techno" but then lists artists that are indeed "eurodance"......just makes me LOL

bad logic is bad....most artists can cite numerous "influences"....good artists don't produce crap that all sounds the same while trying to copy said influence....in the rock world...they're called cover bands/tribute bands....in electronic music i guess they are called geniuses /rolls eyes.
    This is good logic? You must be new and don't have enough experience with electronic music to be able to tell two artists apart.

And to buddahchase, he only uses it for the first ~half of his sets, then it comes off. It's mainly just a marketing gimmick (like Daft's, I'll agree), but it's a gimmick that has worked for him nonetheless.

If musicians' sounds were judged on their appearances -- well, this would be a shittier world after all.
    Congratulations, your mind has been expanded.

Deadmau5 is similarly bad music, he's got the gimic of looking cool due the constant images seen online of him with his Macbook Pro and the mouse head with the huge ears. It's novelty of what people thinks "looks" cool...the actual music he makes is standard electronic music mainstream fodder. I doubt many people with good taste in music and/or knowledge of electronic music and it's roots would call him "good" at anything other than being a novelty act.
    Deadmau5 is a very talented artist, however he's pretty open that his techno stuff and hat wearing is something he does because he it's opened up doors and wallets. He's got a lot more depth and versatility that he'd show. And no I'm not a fan, I just realise that his mainstream fodder is just that, and so does he. That's not to say I respect him for *that* but if it's allowing him to do what he loves, then all power to him. It's a bit like Mike Patton with faith no more allowing him to do whatever he wanted, except faith no more were pretty good on their own artistic merit. Just a bit mainstream and conventional compared to what he everything else he loved.

Quote Originally Posted by MintJam View Post
    Just like all genres, not everything is for everyone. If you don't get it now, you probably never will. I mean, I don't really get country (since vox and lyrics don't mean much to me), but you don't see me up in arms about it.
    I'm a metalhead and I only just started to *get* hip hop after about 10 years of being aware it existed and largely finding it to be offensive and rubbish. I recently started to discover artists who aren't just ganster shit and some who are genuinely quite intelligent, either politically or just creative and fun.

Dubstep is meh to me but largely it seems to be about big basslines. There's a certain familiarity, like they're taking the idea from.. something and expanding it into a genre. That.. something.. seems to evoke bursts in movie sound tracks or the token heavy DnB bit in a dance song, as well as dance and DnB, and with a huge amount of gloss. But that's not quite it.

No one seems to be able to explain dubstep to me yet though, even the fans. That would concern me, but as a diehard metal fan (I said already) it took me about 5 years before I could explain what metal is to anyone and know what I'm saying. (and I would say that it's rythmic music with a strong amount of kick drums, and large amounts of bombast (comes from an operatic and classical influence) and distorted guitars are *almost always* present (this spun off blues and rock, though those influences are quite distint for some bands), with a substantial number of sub genres incoporating other influences and styles) Before that I just liked bits of it. So I'm prepared to give dubstep a couple more years of people not being able to explain it beyond just linking more (with my explanation just to clarify what I haven't had from dubstep fans, I could give origins, explain how metal sounded before it diversified so much and so on)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHBijzBpuk0 is all you need to watch to understand the potential. It isn't a rickroll and it involves my avatar. If you've never heard of him, I guess you wouldn't appreciate it... but regardless. Clicky.
    Last edited by Koshun; 2011-03-30 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deevicoos View Post
    Deadmau5 is a very talented artist, however he's pretty open that his techno stuff and hat wearing is something he does because he it's opened up doors and wallets. He's got a lot more depth and versatility that he'd show. And no I'm not a fan, I just realise that his mainstream fodder is just that, and so does he. That's not to say I respect him for *that* but if it's allowing him to do what he loves, then all power to him. It's a bit like Mike Patton with faith no more allowing him to do whatever he wanted, except faith no more were pretty good on their own artistic merit. Just a bit mainstream and conventional compared to what he everything else he loved.
    I have no problem with him doing it, I have no problem that it's allowed him to do what he loves...I have a problem with people thinking that because he's popular, he makes good music. He doesn't. Anyone that's listened to electronic music for a while would note that nothing he's ever done is remotely innovative or different sounding then the thousands of other typical electronic dance pop crap that is produced.