Page 1 of 27
... LastLast

[Music] The Dubstep Thread

Maybe its because I'm not in high school but I don't get dubstep. Everything I've heard is just obnoxiously loud bass and beats that sound like they were made with an instrumental package they download and imported into Acid Pro. I mean honestly, I could go plug in an old bass to an amp, strum a few notes, put some medicore beat to it, instant fame with the high school scene.

I DONT GET IT

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a cousin of drum and bass mixed with 2-step. I consider dubstep to be pretty "new" though, at least here in America. That shit didn't explode until a year or two ago here. Some of it straight up sounds like hip hop beats with extra emphasis on the bass, some of it sounds like slowed breakbeat with wobwobwobwobwobwooooobs everywhere, and so on. It's usually very simple, and it's probably why you see a lot of fail dubstep around since everyone wants to get their own hands in making it. I'm guessing bassheads love it for the bass, the raw grit of the wobble, and it's slow paced vibes? I dunno, I'm not really into it myself (personally a breakbeat kind of guy).

Just like all genres, not everything is for everyone. If you don't get it now, you probably never will. I mean, I don't really get country (since vox and lyrics don't mean much to me), but you don't see me up in arms about it.

I wouldn't say the OP is up in arms about it. I'm right there with you though. Most of the dubstep that I've heard doesn't seem to have any kind of melody to it at all. Plenty of beats and rhythm but not a lot of melody or harmony.

I don't even think the OP was saying that is was bad...nor do I think it is, I just don't understand it. There is plenty of abstract art out there that I don't understand as well. Art is only good to its appreciators.

I agree with OP, I don't understand it either. I personally love Country, but my music preference is quite weird, I listen to a lot of country, but also some pop, and a lot of dance/electronica/techno. Because of that last part I had some friends recommend some dubstep and I just didn't really get it. To each their own, but I'll stick to electronica/techno for beats and country for lyrics.

Deleted
    Most of the time people decide they don't like it after hearing crap dubstep.

If you don't like this then you don't like decent dubstep.

Its because they are too stoned to hear the music, they just feel the noises instead.

Dubstep is a genre of electronic dance music that originated in South East London. Its overall sound has been described as "tightly coiled productions with overwhelming bass lines and reverberant drum patterns, clipped samples, and occasional vocals

This was from the wikepedia entry, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubstep

10+ Year Old Account
    Really just go on youtube and type in Skrillex. He will show you the true way of dubstep.

It's like a robot having a seizure.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetinytank View Post
    Really just go on youtube and type in Skrillex. He will show you the true way of dubstep.
    Fuck yeah, Skrillex

Deleted
    There is some genuinely awesome Post-Dubstep stuff out there. Listen to some of the stuff off of Burials 'Unture' Or James Blakes 'James Blake'

Burial - Near Death
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHjxJItKbLQ

James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVgEaDemxjc

Give these a listen. They are amazing pieces of modern electronic music and they really showcase what can be done with the Dubstep style.

Eh, theres a lot of different musical styles and genres out there. To each their own, I just like throwing on alittle dub/dnb to get me in the mood for FPSs. More techno/trance for WoW and alike, and just classic rock for kicking back and enjoying.

(This signature was clearly too awesome for the Avatar & Signature Guidelines and was removed to prevent further facemelting)

Not trying to offend anybody but if Skrillex is the true way of dubstep then I'll stick to not liking it, if Black Sun Empire I might give it another try.

wob wob wob wob wob wob wob =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Untsaaaaaaa duntsaa unts. Those epic tones appeal, or do not.

Quote Originally Posted by buddahchase View Post
    There is some genuinely awesome Post-Dubstep stuff out there. Listen to some of the stuff off of Burials 'Unture' Or James Blakes 'James Blake'

Burial - Near Death
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHjxJItKbLQ

James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVgEaDemxjc

Give these a listen. They are amazing pieces of modern electronic music and they really showcase what can be done with the Dubstep style.

^ what this guy said...people posting Skrillex and Black Sun Empire, just heard about dubstep a few months ago most likely....

The only artist that actually has any legit rep in the world of dubstep who still even uses that name...is Caspa..

Most good artists have moved on to the post-dubstep world...dubstep and most new genres by their nature are about creating something new. Skrillex, Bassnectar, etc. are all just cashing in on 15 year old kids that want to think they've found something cool and new.

15+ Year Old Account
    djentstep?

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

I made a thread a while ago asking someone to explain deadmau5 to me and I found no answer.

I think that it is like rap as in some of it is hard to understand but the stuff you can is still pretty undesirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferm-perm View Post
    I made a thread a while ago asking someone to explain deadmau5 to me and I found no answer..
    Deadmau5 is similarly bad music, he's got the gimic of looking cool due the constant images seen online of him with his Macbook Pro and the mouse head with the huge ears. It's novelty of what people thinks "looks" cool...the actual music he makes is standard electronic music mainstream fodder. I doubt many people with good taste in music and/or knowledge of electronic music and it's roots would call him "good" at anything other than being a novelty act.
    Last edited by Generationwhy; 2011-03-30 at 12:04 AM.

and honestly, wow players probably have some of the worst music taste in the world...hence all the bad "techno" songs you hear on boss vids.....

this is the last place you should ask anyone about music.