Poll: Is the Nintendo 3DS worth buying?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    I can't stand Zelda. :P
    Urge to ban... strong...

I wont get it yet. I don't want any of the release games. When Icarus, OoT, Lylat Wars, or a Metroid game comes out I'll get it. Hopefully by then it will be lower in price too.

But yeah it certainly looks impressive and I definitely will get one. Some people are making the mistake that this isn't the next gen of console.
    It is.
    It's not like the transition from a DS to a DSi. Or a GBA to a GBA SP.
    It's like going from the GBA to the DS.
    All the new games they make are going to be suited to and will require the 3DS, and will be of a better standard.

Deleted
    I bought a 3DS on launch day and in my opinion, it's amazing! The launch lineup has been pretty crappy, but street fighter 4 3d is sick even though i suck at fighting games) and pilotwings is awesome too, if a little short. The AR games are a nice addition too. The online features and things like streetpass are only gonna become more relevant in the future and it's gonna be a while before the full potential of all the 3DS' features are fully utilised in the games.

While the battery life is obviously not as good as previous DS' due to how much more powerful the 3DS is, it all depends on what brightness you use, how long you play in full 3D for etc etc. I got a good 6 hours out of mine over the last day or two.

But like others have said I think it's pretty ridiculous that Nintendo have launched a whole new console without staple titles such as Mario or Zelda, and sales would have been far more rapid had they done so (not to say that they haven't sold a shit ton already).

WE WANT OCARINA OF TIME AND WE WANT IT NOW!

I'm waiting to see if there's going to be some kind of upgraded version first before deciding. I already wasted enough in the past with the GBA and GBA SP, as well the DS and DSlite. Especially based on the battery life reports, I usually play with handhelds on long train rides or plane flights, and a handheld that lasts for three hours would be terrible for that.

Additionally I have to add that the current line-up it has doesn't really excite me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    - Crappy battery life
    - Crappy introduction games
    - No zelda, mario, kid icarus, et cetera in the introductin
    - This is Nintendo, it is very obvious they are going to release another version of it in the near future since they released 3 extra versions of the Nintendo 3DS
    - The things you could do with the Nintendo 3ds may be amazing at first, but will suck after a few days
    - No internet
    - Can't socialize with friends yet
    just want to address some of them...
    1- the battery issue is over rated how often are you realistically going to be playing none stop with no access to a charger of some sort for up to 5 hours?
    2- thats your opinion, in my opinion super street fighter 4, pilotwings, and ridge racer are great and i'm sure theres tons of people having fun on lego star wars 3, pes, and rayman.
    3- why rush those games for launch when the only real competition is yourself? those games will come and nintendo will go business like and launch them at the most opportune moment (read christmas or at NGP launch)
    4- sure thats true but when the slightly slimmer slightly lighter one comes out you can just use that arguement again for waiting for the next version.
    5- yeah the novelty stuff may get boring but at the end of the day great games will be released on it and that novelty stuff will get cooler with updates (street pass for one is meant to be awesome)
    6- street fighter 4 says hi
    7- again street fighter says hi

for me i say it is worth getting. only reason i don't have one is due to money constraints, but will deffo be getting one either with zelda OOT if not before.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glwys View Post
    I'm don't plan on getting a 3ds because I can't see in 3d...not sure how much of an impact that would have on my gaming experience. Plus like you said, no LoZ: OoT
    Same here, brother.

It's why I hope 3D doesn't go huge.

Deleted
    Hmm i've read in my newspaper that people can play for like 30 mins tops and start to get disoriented after that. I might be missing something though...

I love the fact that they've made a 3D hand held console, but with what it is capable of doing at the moment I don't think it's worth buying.
    I don't mind the games, as I'm sure we will get more and better ones over time. But the thing that really gets me at the moment is the battery life and the no internet you were talking about.
    I purchased a DSlite for it's long battery life so I can still enjoy myself on long trips through the country and on holidays without having to put it on the charger every (other) day.

So until they're going to fix that, I ain't buying one.
    Thoaee, Guardian of Cenarius, Proud member of <Rising Sun> Twisting Nether - EU

- Crappy battery life - to be fair its the same across the market.. Until they develop newer battery technology
    - Crappy introduction games - Gameboy started with Tetris and thats about it..
    - No zelda, mario, kid icarus, et cetera in the introductin - None of the nintendo consoles were released with one of these on its coattails.. whats new?
    - This is Nintendo, it is very obvious they are going to release another version of it in the near future since they released 3 extra versions of the Nintendo 3DS - yeah they do have the tendancy to milk the handheld console market more than any other.
    - The things you could do with the Nintendo 3ds may be amazing at first, but will suck after a few days - AGAIN the same AS EVERY OTHER THING
    - No internet - just lolz
    - Can't socialize with friends yet - Yeah the one valid point you have.. they should have taken what they have on the DS to this 3DS and moved from there not shedding things.

Ninendo tend to release too early and develop legends after.. Wii was the exception and was aimed at a totally different audience than the n64 and gamecube were aimed at.. Whats interesting is that the development post console release is actually superior to all other consoles with things like Zelda and Mario coming in shortly after release to extend the top price period before they have to drop it. PS3 failed with a similar idea and lost a lot of time until the big name games came out before people started buying. Xbox was released with Halo and proabbly achieved the best initial sales of the lot.

Its an odd market to talk about as the factors that drive selling arent the same as many other ones.. with fanboyism, practicality and availability coming into it.. Nintendo rely on the massive amount of fanboys it has that they will as you say release something then shortly after release an improved version to cash in on the market a second time.. the games they make are pretty bad when compared to the amount of effort that goes into other format gaming (with exceptions) and even the catalogues are the smallest of any format.

They are pretty shrewd to keep a hook on the fanboys.. and I hope they continue to the end of days (in about 20 months :P)

i didn't get the first verson of DS sens well it was way to big and cluncky and there wasn't any games there i really wanted

now the same kinda gose for the 3ds the start line up of games they put out are well kinda crappy and not a system mover at all. as for the tech the battery life is my biggest gripe on a travel day i can spend atlest 8 hours playing and i want my handheld to be able to deal with that then (8 hours with 3d and screen brightness on high) and i think this is what they are going to focus on with the secound resvion of the 3ds just to bring up the battery life to a more normal lvl sens atm it is half a day of play witch is perfectly fine for day to day life but not for travel.

My m8s stopped working after 1hr of useing it, Playing Pokemon black (I know :P but i love pokemon too ;>) and it died, wont charge, turn on or do anything. For its price i wouldnt get one anyway :/ seems to expencive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProBubble View Post
    - Crappy battery life - to be fair its the same across the market.. Until they develop newer battery technology
    - Crappy introduction games - Gameboy started with Tetris and thats about it..
    - No zelda, mario, kid icarus, et cetera in the introductin - None of the nintendo consoles were released with one of these on its coattails.. whats new?
    - This is Nintendo, it is very obvious they are going to release another version of it in the near future since they released 3 extra versions of the Nintendo 3DS - yeah they do have the tendancy to milk the handheld console market more than any other.
    - The things you could do with the Nintendo 3ds may be amazing at first, but will suck after a few days - AGAIN the same AS EVERY OTHER THING
    - No internet - just lolz
    - Can't socialize with friends yet - Yeah the one valid point you have.. they should have taken what they have on the DS to this 3DS and moved from there not shedding things.

Ninendo tend to release too early and develop legends after.. Wii was the exception and was aimed at a totally different audience than the n64 and gamecube were aimed at.. Whats interesting is that the development post console release is actually superior to all other consoles with things like Zelda and Mario coming in shortly after release to extend the top price period before they have to drop it. PS3 failed with a similar idea and lost a lot of time until the big name games came out before people started buying. Xbox was released with Halo and proabbly achieved the best initial sales of the lot.

Its an odd market to talk about as the factors that drive selling arent the same as many other ones.. with fanboyism, practicality and availability coming into it.. Nintendo rely on the massive amount of fanboys it has that they will as you say release something then shortly after release an improved version to cash in on the market a second time.. the games they make are pretty bad when compared to the amount of effort that goes into other format gaming (with exceptions) and even the catalogues are the smallest of any format.

They are pretty shrewd to keep a hook on the fanboys.. and I hope they continue to the end of days (in about 20 months :P)
    Alright.

- The battery life has to be fixed. We have expectations with the products we buy and we'll be damned if they can't meet our demands on battery life. If you didn't know, you can't play the 3ds while its being recharged like in the DS. And you get shitty approx. 3 hours if you max everything, and 5+ hours for not. Look at the average battery life for the DS. You see my point why the new 3ds will probably and most likely will fix this problem when its release.
    - N64 had zelda and Wii had Zelda at introduction.
    - By nintendo release newer and technically better versions than the original, it seems a bit logical to wait a bit (DS and DSlight release dates weren't that far from each other)
    - 3DS is portable. Why is it funny not go wifI?

Yes the gaming market is odd, but most of the time what drives them are consumer's random impulses from idiots who will say "OOOHH I WANT THAT SHINY THING". Same thing happened with my brother who sold his PSP for the new DS light, then sold that for the 360, and he spent more money each time. Or my little 5 year old cousins loving and wanting the wii for 4 days then started, loving, and wanting the PS3 since they watched my brother shoot bad guys in Call of Duty Thats the point I am trying to make. Don't buy this system yet because mostly it could be your sudden impulses just driving you to buy that thing. Its my opinion still, I would never get Rayman, or the shitty pilotwings unless there is a worthy Nintendo game up for release, and there isn't yet.
    Last edited by Kickbuttmario; 2011-03-30 at 11:27 PM.

If you didn't know, you can't play the 3ds while its being recharged like in the DS.
    Yes, you can. You don't need to use the charging cradle. There is a port on the back, just like on the DS.

I love gadgets, so I picked one up on release day. There are a lot of cool things you can do with it, and I've had a blast so far.

For those wondering, the 3D isn't really all that disorienting. It takes getting used to, but it's a cool gimmick. However, it is just that, a gimmick. For me, I had wanted to buy a DS since around when the 3DS was announced, so I just decided to wait. It wasn't because I necessarily was all that excited about the gimmick, I just wanted a DS... But it made for sense to get a 3DS than to buy a DSi and not be able to play the games that were coming soon.

There are a few things I'd like to note:
    On the battery life front... Yes, if you're playing the 3D games, it's pretty bad. But for me it's not really a huge deal. I don't travel a ton, and very rarely am I away from an outlet long enough for it to be a concern for me. For someone who would be playing it frequently while traveling and such, I can see why this would be an issue though. Playing normal DS games really doesn't drain the battery quickly. I've played Pokemon White a lot longer than than the max battery expectancy.

I do agree that the release was rushed though. It is disappointing trying to access the 3DSWare, DSiWare etc and seeing "To be patched in later" messages. To me, that's disappointing and something that should be done before release. If they had waited until everything was complete, there likely would have been better release titles... It would have made sense, as far as I'm concerned.

On a slightly off-topic note, I'm happy that Nintendo has chosen to finish Ocarina of Time instead of rushing it for the system release. It would have been a waste of what I think is going to be absolutely awesomeness in a teeny-tiny plastic cartridge.

Really though, I don't regret my purchase. I'm having a blast with it, and though there are things that could be improved... I'm pretty happy. I don't blame anyone who's waiting for the improved version though. For me, I just couldn't wait for a DS (any DS at all) any longer

Quote Originally Posted by Silentsnipe1212 View Post
    when i went to cancel my 3DS pre order last week the guy working at gamestop said i shouldnt because japan was only shipping to the U.S what was pre ordered, then after EU, then japan again to fill their own stuff. so basically u wont get one if u want one for a while if u didnt pre order it so i just decided to take it. i got street fighter and ive never really been a fan so w/e, i just play face raiders and its fun for a while. i shot charlie sheen and selena gomez's faces for 45 min one night cuz i was bored :P. i cant wait for ocarina of time and RE revelations, shit even mercenaries.
    He lied to you. You can't just ship a 3DS to any country and use it as is. The 3DS has region controls, meaning that a US 3DS cannot play Japanese games. So, again, he lied to you.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    He lied to you. You can't just ship a 3DS to any country and use it as is. The 3DS has region controls, meaning that a US 3DS cannot play Japanese games. So, again, he lied to you.
    Wow... Yeah, no kidding. I went to Futureshop on launch day and was about fifth in line (non pre-orders). There were a bunch of people behind me that got systems and didn't pre-order. There are some on the shelves at the department stores here... Not really in short supply.

Got to love salespeople who lie to your face. I've worked in sales before... You embellish the truth now and again and down-play the negatives, but outright lying is a huge no-no.

- N64 had zelda and Wii had Zelda at introduction.
    - 3DS is portable. Why is it funny not go wifI?
    erm..... N64 launch had only 2 games released with it, super mario 64 and pilotwings.

the 3DS does have wi-fi hence why street fighter 4 can be played online....
    Last edited by Pr0ev0lution; 2011-03-31 at 04:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr0ev0lution View Post
    erm..... N64 launch had only 2 games released with it, super mario 64 and pilotwings.

the 3DS does have wi-fi hence why street fighter 4 can be played online....
    Ahh yes they did.

When I mean by wi-fi, I mean't socializing with friends or going on the internet.