Rift vs WoW numbers

Has anyone seen any official (or unofficial) numbers of total subs for each game? Ive been looking for a while and cant get much of either, the last official count I remember was early WotLK (or even BC, not sure) when WoW hit 12million (its high point, I think).

tl;dr Please to give me number of current subs for each game.

WoW is currently sitting tight at over 13 million paid accounts active in the last 6(?) months.

No clue about Rift.
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

Trion haven't released any numbers so you aren't going to get an answer.
    (Or you might get an answer, but it will just be bullshit guessing from whoever says it.)

Thanks to the both of you, although im more interested in Rifts numbers now. I keep seeing ads saying "WoW's best competition in years." Like the one at the top of this page.

It's no-where near wow atm

10+ Year Old Account
    I switched to Rift... for a while. My account was hacked after 2 weeks (as were thousands of accounts due to a problem on their side) and it took over 7 days to get a response.

Needless to say, the game is fun... but its like playing a boring, really lame, buggy version of WoW and i am coming back to WoW now.

I havent seen any official numbers either, but i can assure you there are lots of people playing Rift. However no where NEAR the numbers of WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Porra View Post
    Thanks to the both of you, although im more interested in Rifts numbers now. I keep seeing ads saying "WoW's best competition in years." Like the one at the top of this page.
    Ask on Rift forums?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Porra View Post
    That's called marketing.

Well it took wow 6 yrs to get these numbers. Comparing them to a brand new game is irrelevant.

I am Warlock - Play Free Online Games

99.99% of my posts are done via iPhone. Expect typos as it likes to change my words and doesn't pick up on MMO lingo very well.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rift obviously has less numbers than WoW, though how low no one knows.

Trion hasn't announced any subscription numbers, and as a private company they're not require too. Most shards are in the high to full category during prime time, which is pegged somewhere between 2500-4000 concurrent players. So based on the most basic of information, the game probably has between 250,000-500,000 people actively playing...probably more titles sold than that. One thing i'll note is that the population appears to be still growing, as word gets out how good it is.

There's ZERO chance that WoW has 13,000,000 active players at the moment, they probably don't even have 10m+ active subscriptions. Warcraftrealms shows a huge dropoff in player activity since Cataclysm launch, much moreso than after previous expansions. We're past peak-WoW, and entering a period of a long, slow decline. This isn't incredibly relevant to the individual player though, unless you're on a low-pop realm.

From a player perspective, all you want to be is on an active server for a game from a viable, self sustaining company who continues to invest in their MMO. Pick a high population realm in WoW and you're set. Pick a high population realm in Rift, and you should be fine too. Aion is successful, EVE is successful, LOTRO is successful, City of Heroes is successful -- all on their own terms. MMOs with sub- 1m populations do fine.

Lol notice how on here if someone makes a post praising rift it's shut down in a few minutes. They make one bashing it, and it's cool. Probably just the mods asleep at this time of night though, and me being paranoid.

There's ZERO chance that WoW has 13,000,000 active players at the moment, they probably don't even have 10m+ active subscriptions. Warcraftrealms shows a huge dropoff in player activity since Cataclysm launch, much moreso than after previous expansions. We're past peak-WoW, and entering a period of a long, slow decline. This isn't incredibly relevant to the individual player though, unless you're on a low-pop realm.
    You know it's bad when even mmo report talks about it. I'm not one of those saying RIFT will kill WoW, hell it will dent it a bit at best. WoW is losing subs though, people are tired of the crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is WAY too early to start comparing numbers. And by 'way' I mean several years too early. Naturally Rift is going to have less subs than WoW since it's a newer game. It's also WAY too early to do any extrapolations since Rift just launched at the beginning of this month and any extrapolation you apply to it will be severely off since Rift's sub increase has yet to level out. WTB people who think before they post.

Quote Originally Posted by Meracalis View Post
    WoW is currently sitting tight at over 13 million paid accounts active in the last 6(?) months.

No clue about Rift.
    Source? Or just your own guessing.

OT: God I wish GW2 and SW:ToR would be released already. Would like to see how much those 2 + Rift impact WoW's numbers.

Rift's headstart launched with over 1mil registered accounts, and that was before they added a ton of servers.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...Trion-Accounts!

15+ Year Old Account
    We're still enforcing the "keep rift threads to a minimum" rule. If you have a question, ask it in the Rift general Thread or on their official forums.