Final Fantasy Tactics v. 1.3

Anyone here ever heard of/play Final Fantasy Tactics version 1.3? It's a fan-made mod to the original that was rebalanced and made much, much harder. IF you were a fan of the original, definitely check this out.

If you haven't seen it, check out insanedifficulty.com or ffhacktics.com to get started.

Hmm...sounds good
    "Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Meaning, if you can see them, they can see you. Use the environment around you. Free yourself from the tyranny of eye-level!"--Roger Dodger i also play the git-box
    Poke THIS Robot--it's a link to MY MUSIC!--

is that the one released for psp?

No, that's War of the Lions. They have a 1.3 version of that one as well (that's actually the one I play)

The game is a fan-made mod. It hasn't had any kind of official release of any kind. It requires an emulator or hacked PSP to play it. The emulator version is probably the most accessible.

It's really, really hard. Aside from the rebalancing of skills and removal of easily exploitable abilities (math skill, for example, was removed entirely and replaced with an entirely new "Sage" class) all story-line encounters now scale with player level (or more specifically higher than player level). (The upside to that, beyond the obvious challenge and fun-factor, is that the higher level enemies come with higher level equipment to steal.)

It's not for everyone. It's for hard core FFT fans only. If you've never played FFT before, you're in for a tough time. If you've played through by leveling up to 99 in Mandalia plains, you're in for a tough time. My first run through (on the easy-type, which is a misnomer) took me about a year to complete playing here and there. Probably 300 or so hours of game time including resets.

---------- Post added 2011-03-31 at 02:46 AM ----------

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6474.0

FAQ

I should add that it's difficult, but also immensely satisfying.
    Last edited by Jiraiyah; 2011-03-31 at 02:49 AM.

Whenever a game has level scaling by player level, I just don't play it. Got half way through oblivion and quit because I simply didn't care anymore. Could have a great story, sorry don't care. When I play games with levels, I enjoy working hard to advance levels so I can do the harder stuff. If they make leveling pointless, why even have levels at all? Start with max skills and call it a FPS. Dumbest idea ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Whenever a game has level scaling by player level, I just don't play it. Got half way through oblivion and quit because I simply didn't care anymore. Could have a great story, sorry don't care. When I play games with levels, I enjoy working hard to advance levels so I can do the harder stuff. If they make leveling pointless, why even have levels at all? Start with max skills and call it a FPS. Dumbest idea ever made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiraiyah View Post
    It's really, really hard. Aside from the rebalancing of skills and removal of easily exploitable abilities (math skill, for example, was removed entirely and replaced with an entirely new "Sage" class) all story-line encounters now scale with player level (or more specifically higher than player level). (The upside to that, beyond the obvious challenge and fun-factor, is that the higher level enemies come with higher level equipment to steal.)
    It's only the story line part. Which means if you over-level zones you can go back. At least, this is what I assume.

No, everything levels up with you/faster than you. In the original game, random encounters always leveled with you while story-line battles had set levels. Now everything levels with you.

Part of the challenge is getting as many skills as you can early by crystallizing enemies rather than risk leveling up too much. It's there to prevent you from just leveling higher to get past content. Skills are your "level". If you're the type that prefers to level up to get past encounters, this mod is just plain not for you.

If you love FFT, love coming up with new and interesting tactics for any given fight and like to be genuinely challenged by every single encounter in the game, then this mod is for you. Every encounter in the game was looked at and designed to offer unique challenges all the way through. Every single random encounter in the game (more than 80) has been redesigned. Many story line battles were tweaked for greater challenge.

---------- Post added 2011-03-31 at 03:33 AM ----------

I'll add, too, don't knock it until you've tried it. It was very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiraiyah View Post
    Part of the challenge is getting as many skills as you can early by crystallizing enemies rather than risk leveling up too much. It's there to prevent you from just leveling higher to get past content. Skills are your "level". If you're the type that prefers to level up to get past encounters, this mod is just plain not for you.
    can you still level, delevel, repeat? cause that would make the whole scaling level thing pointless

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    can you still level, delevel, repeat? cause that would make the whole scaling level thing pointless
    Nope. All de-level traps and enemy abilities have been removed. As have abilities that raise/lower brave and faith, so other than the few story-based adjustments, you have what you have.