Page 1 of 3
LastLast

EVE, is it fun? Should I try it? (Bit bored of WoW)

Everytime I login to World of Warcraft now I only stay for like 10 minutes and feel it's nothing fun for me there anymore, not now..
    So I thought EVE; can that be something for me? I would love some personal comments on the game, if you play it or have tried it.

The whole not having a character moving around with it, is kinda.. awh, why not? :|
    Any comments, I appreciate it.

its one game you can't really explain in a few sentences the good and bad points.

the only similarity it has with wow is that you should really expect to put years into the game, while joining a player corporation is also probably as important as joining a guild.

there isn't much instant gratification with eve at all, its all spread out over time, you can't power level at all, you decide what you want to do, build stuff, kill stuff, mine stuff each of which has many sub categories, forexample if you want to go pure combat, you'll need to train for a multitude of different ship types so you can cover all the bases.

It pays to have an alt, this is the kind of game that is easy to multi box, i have my main character i pretty much just train for combat although it can fly an orca (mining buffing ship) and my alt is pretty much a solid mackinaw/hulk pilot, so when I'm not killing stuff i can sit in belts and mine away.

none of this really says whether or not its good, it just has more freedom, there is no end game so you basically just try to gain as much assets as you can, train for as many ships as you can or just excel at what ships you can use already. instead of 'there is the best stuff ill just run that over and over' the best stuff exists in eve, but getting it is usually down to luck rather than skill.

in 2008 i did the 21 day trial, in dec 09 i gave up with wow and started on eve full time, after getting into the first decent mining ship (retriever) i thought ' well doing this on my own sucks a bit' ' where is the mining corporations' .. 2 weeks later i'm in the depths of 0.0 space in a renter alliance helping some guys pay for their system rent, while i'm learning the workings of 0.0, flash forward to now and i have pvp pretty much on demand, mining whenever i feel like it, there isnt much to not like about eve, just that it can be boring if you don't force yourself to do something.

but again, if you aren't prepared to put years into eve then you probably wont get much out of it, it takes a good 6 months before you break the cellophane casing of the game.

EVE is exactly what you make of it.

It's really up to you as to whether you'll enjoy it or not.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Deleted
    I played it for a long time. All I can say about it is that it's very, very complex. It requires a lot of time to feel like you are doing something quite useful... but I encourage you and everyone to try it, this game is amazing

Poster before covered a good amount. It's really hard to explain. I played Eve for a few months while taking a WoW break last year, and I'm doing it again. It's more rewarding to me, to be able to do what I want. I've spent several months...almost entirely looking for the one thing I want to do most. Everything I've tried has been fun, but there's always something else out there. I'll spend hours just traversing systems scanning for sites that make me money, even though I'm really not...doing anything. It's incredibly addictive, knowing that enjoyment comes from something so trivial seeming.

Go into no security or low security space, and man it's intense. Staying cloaked, scanning for ships, watching local and almost crapping yourself when an experienced player shows up in local..while you frantically clear a site for cash knowing at any second he could pinpoint you and warp right to your tail and take you out.

Hard to explain, but it's amazing what you can do. Corporations mean something, unlike guilds. It isn't just a race to be the best guild in the raid rankings, it's about supremacy. If you live in a Wormhole (I did before I took a break), you're harder to find...but your neighbors might have a huge fleet that could fight you at will.

The gameplay is...unique, not for everyone, but highly rewarding if you are into a more deliberate, tension-building pace.

hehe, Heathy, i played the 21d trial and i got mainly all you wrote but for total eve noob its black magic tbh :P

to put easy diffrences of wow:
    - there is no wow like leveling, there are tons of skills
    - training skill takes time (real life time) - some skill after the character is lvled up can take up to 1-2weeks to develop (they are ofc training if you are logged off)
    - there are diffrent skills for diffrent ship also so you cant fly everything if you only have cash
    - crafting takes time, you put stuff to craft in special factories and you w8 - it can take some time also
    - questing is much harder then in wow, no such thing as, ill take 15quests from this city and go zerg everything down, you mainly do 1 quest at a time (as there is plenty of loot usually so you get your ship full kinda fast)
    - the biggest diffrence from wow is that you can get killed, like literally, you can lost your ship that you was farming cash for like 1month and also they can kill your character so you lost all the trained skills (you can prevent this by buying ship insurance - u then get some cash back if destroyed, also you can buy a clone that will prevent you from loosing your skills)
    - farming mats/cash take some time, there is opinion that the best miners in EVE come from the elite of shaolin monks as they can sit for 3h+ looking how their ship is zipping 1 asteroid
    - whole universe is divided on sectors with diffrent security, the 0.0 sectors mentioned by Heathy are the ones that you most likely will be raped and farmed to 0 by other players
    - biggest diffrence also is that you can pay for the game with ingame money (which is doable after like 4-6months), also there is only 1 global server

The game is totally diffrent mmo, it is hard, and for a begginer is really really hard, at the 21day trial you will most likely learn about what is where and what to do around but once you will get it the fun finally kick in
    Last edited by L05_PL; 2011-04-04 at 07:41 PM.

I found the complexity of Eve, the freedom, the players and there vast difference in maturity to be the positive factor of Eve that beats WoW by far, but I never really got into Eve, it seemed a bit grindy to me and I was just researching a lot. In the end I had a pretty good ship for my purpose, to be a pirate. I almost had it all, and then I quit :P

Have you gotten to 13/13 hard modes? What about being competitive for gladiator this season? Full vicious gear at least? Full bloodthirsty? All normal mode purples? If the answer to these is no then wow still has plenty to offer you. Some people do not enjoy hard modes, that is fine do 12/12 normal, farm a bit, get a full set of pvp, level an alt, repeat process. WoW has plenty to do.

On the topic of EVE, I played it for a few months and a relative has played it for years. From just my experience the game is mostly about making money, that is the ultimate purpose of the game. There is world pvp, but financial interests of the big corporations is what causes these kinds of battles. There are also some definite cheese maneuvers in higher end play but I have not done enough to lay them all out. From my interpretation of my relative's experience the corporations are corrupt many times and do many things out of self interest, with fewer servers to play on a large population inhibits the same space. If you are not a fan of the prisoner mentality of "be bubba's girlfriend" then this group centered mmo may not be for you. Just realize you need good friends that are established in EVE if you hope to survive long at all out in the yard =).
    Last edited by Cursingmonk; 2011-04-04 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursingmonk View Post
    Have you gotten to 13/13 hard modes? What about being competitive for gladiator this season? Full viscous gear at least? Full bloodthirsty? All normal mode purples? If the answer to these is no then wow still has plenty to offer you. Some people do not enjoy hard modes, that is fine do 12/12 normal, farm a bit, get a full set of pvp, level an alt, repeat process. WoW has plenty to do.
    its like saying, "you didnt finish your meal, u cant walk away from table" :P
    some ppl find boring doing same stuff for x time in a row lately you know, and tbh, sometimes going away from wow for 1-2months can give you the "power" to get back with uber str to play again

10+ Year Old Account
    As said above, EVE is really complex. It makes it boring for me, I prefer study quantum physics rather than play EVE. It might be good, I don't know - the interface had so many buttons that I gave up.

It makes it boring for me, I prefer study quantum physics rather than play EVE. It might be good, I don't know - the interface had so many buttons that I gave up.
    How do you intend to master concepts like pertubation theory, tunneling, and exclusion principle if you are getting confused by too many buttons on EVE? Not trying to make fun too hard here but your statement made me laugh sir.

If you think eve is complex seriously, you just haven't put much time into it, like any mmo you need to actually play it alot to understand what everything does. granted the wiki's on eve are mostly out of date now. yet if your a brand new player the tutorial will explain most of what you need to know for your first few months of playing.

the best advice i can give with eve, since the end game is pvp, whatever you decide to fly make sure your prepared to lose it. and keep your clone upto date. with that mentality you wont get many unfortunate occurrences. the rest of the game is like was said, based nearly entirely on making as much money as you can so you can keep buying skill books and new ships + mods for your ships. oh and 'show info' is your best friend.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2011-04-04 at 08:06 PM.

A few pros of the game:
    The market on EVE is one of the best ever.
    Customization is awesome.
    Scamming people is completely okay as per the rules.
    If you're good enough, you can actually not pay a monthly fee.

Some cons:
    Losing expensive ships hurts.
    Can be quite slow.
    Players that have been there for years have a massive advantage over newer players, and this advantage can never be made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    The real difference with Eve is that your real advances in the game are always under threat of being lost.

Time-based learning opens up opportunities it terms of what ships you can fly, what weapons you can fit, and what economic activities you can maintain. You'll never lose these.

To make use of those skills, though, you need capital assets, which you'll obtain by mission-running, mining, ratting, and tearing down other players' careers. The compelling element of the game is that you can win big and ruin someone's career, and the same can happen to you. It's a more true risk-vs.-reward paradigm, unlike in WoW which basicly comes down to losing only time and a bit of pocket change by ramming your head against a raid boss all night.

When you lose your ship, it's gone. You might be able to salvage some of the fittings that didn't get destroyed or stolen, but if you died in hostile territory, it's unlikely. The game is really all about epeen, being in the right place at the right time, having the right connections and intel, and having an eye out for situations to exploit towards your advantage.

If you're really playing the game, rather than just can-mining in a high-sec belt, it's a very dynamic game that's all about the players. I think the reason many people find it confusing is that there is no laundry-list story and choreographed boss fights to tell you how to play the game. It's up to you to decide how the game is played and to find your own direction, very much like life.

You need a lot of time to train skills, gain assets, and to network. If you don't have a support group to stand on the shoulders of, you probably won't make it far beyond soloing missions or mining, which I personally don't feel are the real focus of the game.

Wow, so many replies, thanks. Going to take time to read some but before anyone else replies anymore, I should ask..

As you guys say it's all up to you, what you do, free world.
    What tools do I get to play with then in a free world? I hate repeating the same thing over and over if there is no difference in the theme/feel of it

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    A few pros of the game:
    The market on EVE is one of the best ever.
    Customization is awesome.
    Scamming people is completely okay as per the rules.
    If you're good enough, you can actually not pay a monthly fee.

Some cons:
    Losing expensive ships hurts.
    Can be quite slow.
    Players that have been there for years have a massive advantage over newer players, and this advantage can never be made up.
    It's true, older players definitely have a huge advantage, and that's where you either have to take it, stay away, hide, or make a lot of friends. It's kind of interesting really, feels like a bunch of rebels banding together to fight Darth Vader. Eventually of course, skills start to become a bit more trivial, when you've already done the big ones, and the advantage fades a tad (except for establishment, good luck fighting Chribba), but it's still there.

I learned a fun lesson, was dual boxing between a probing ship and a Myrmidon looking for low-sec combat sites...was being as careful as I could, MWD and cloaking through as many gates as I could...when I realized and learned a hard lesson that my Myrmidon doesn't align very fast. Before I could warp I was locked by a skilled Ishkur...and killed. Yes, my 75 million ISK fitted Myrmidon was killed by a tiny assault ship. Not too surprising if one has way, way more skills..but it was sad. He let me get away in my pod, and gave some pointers, and I quickly made a new ship and lost it in an anomaly.

Expensive lessons are the game, something that you can't really get anywhere else.

One more thing...as others have noted, in regards to scamming. Yes, you can do it. Yes, people do it. Be careful. You can always tell the a-holes though, some scammers are ok people who just want to have fun. Others are total a-holes that don't care about you, or anyone else. You'll see guys spamming "trade" with buy orders, trying to buy Plex (pay real money to sell for ingame money basically) for basically nothing, hoping people don't read the orders. Yes, it's legal, but to me it's basically trying to steal from someone's wallet. You're stupid if you don't read the order right, but there should be some level of decency. Either way though, if you pay attention it's awesome.
    Last edited by Zyzzyx; 2011-04-04 at 08:20 PM.

you have many different ship types, some are good for resources some are good for combat and everything in between. The character customization is intensive and irreversable, so decide what you would like to do early on and put a lot of your training into that. Each ship is also VERY customizable, but as stated before be prepared to lose moeny if you get killed as the insurance does not cover all ship addons. Also your clone loses implants too (if i remember correcly). Again, lots of tools at your disposal but in the end it is about money and being in a good corp to survive the pvp.

One more thing too, in response to the original post, the next expansion will add station walking, where you can interact with other people and walk around your "quarters". Read up on Incarna. There's really no telling when though, but it will come out. A lot of people will say "LOL BEEN TALKING FOR YEARS NUB", and that's true; however, this time it's officially set as being next. Either way, if anyone wants a 21-day trial I'll buddy program you!

It is a shame with the way that eve does work on being tactically inept most of the time, that and alliances are pretty much concrete as it is, being part of the NC (boo heathy) even though i have 10m skill point lower than the actual recruiting requirement of my corp (mergers ftw) i think im just one of the lucky spoon fed nubs that managed to sneak into a decent place in eve, i think its great i took the opportunity to move out to 0.0 even though i had to spend a month training for a battlecruiser before i could actually kill anything. i still learned how to survive in the harshest areas of eve as a very very scrub player. its a shame that not many probably get the chance as i did i take it most players will either 1) stay in high sec running missions, 2) move out to low sec and gank ppl 3) find a 0.0 corp and settle down.

well without saying too much more, eve is a fun experience you don't really know what will happen. my main gripe is large fleet battles, i've been in a few over 500 player clashes and if you don't lag out you get insta gibbed, this will happen more often than not, which kinda sucks the fun out of pvp, until you do some small gang then its fun again woo. although the chance of getting primaryed is about the same chance as anyone else getting primaryed, eventually you learn that 30 yellow flashing boxes on the overview means warp the feck out.

edit: hell its patch day tomorrow which may or may not cause all hell for 0.0 sovereignty mechanics.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2011-04-04 at 08:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligerio View Post
    As you guys say it's all up to you, what you do, free world.
    What tools do I get to play with then in a free world? I hate repeating the same thing over and over if there is no difference in the theme/feel of it
    Your tools are your ships (to mine, move products, do missions, kill people), your ability to interact with people and set up lucrative social structures (corporations/scams/fleets), your ability to understand markets and capitalize on trends to make money (moving objects to buy low, sell high/research to reduce the cost of producing something/producing items with good demand to cost), setting up effective planet factory-colonies to make the right products to sell or use, player-owned space stations, high risk-reward player owned space systems... of course there's more.

One thing to keep in mind is that while there's a lot to do, not all of it is lucrative or worth your time. Also, it takes a long time to train skills deeply enough in a specific aspect of the game to make it worth the investment, so do a lot of reading before you make a decision, and then stick with it.

I wouldn't recommend mining. It's boring, missions are worth a lot more, and it's only really worth it when you can get together with a bunch of other miners and go to very dangerous areas where the best ores and ice are available.

Training combat skills is something I've never regretted. More diversity in your ability to fit ships, fly different ships, and effectively hit/damage/defend against damage in combat will help you succeed in missions and in PvP.

What I'd really recommend is trying to fall in with a PvP fleet or corporation and training combat skills. That'll allow you to do missions on the side, and to enjoy the most thrilling part of the game, which is roaming around looking for something to murder. The satisfaction and rush that you get out of grabbing enemy players and destroying their ship while all the time aware of the fact that you're outrunning death yourself is the most fun I've ever had in any game.

Be ready to invest a lot of time. Network, network, network, NETWORK with other people. While you can fly around in certain specialist ships and gank small ships solo, you'll be much better off roaming with a fleet and taking down POSs.