Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    WTB Unreal Tournament 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I miss Quake man. I hate how modern shooters have four dozen different guns that all feel the same. Take back your AK74, I want my rocket jumps back.

Realism will always have its place in video gaming, but I am also getting a little bit weary of the sheer quantity of games pushing for realistic graphics. Team Fortress 2 is an awesome example of a very, very modern game that needs no realism whatsoever to succeed in the graphics department.

Now... surrealism, such as what Portal 2 has going on, that's something that I'd love to see more in games. Very realistic takes on absolutely outlandish concepts that are totally unreal, despite the realistic graphics.

You like games I like simulators and realism there is room for both in the market.

Simulators like the following

Lock on
    DCS Blackshark
    DCS A-10
    i-Racing
    Rise of Flight
    FSX
    Steel Beasts ProPE

These are the games I play 90% of the time when I am at my computer.

The more realistic the better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Juri View Post
    Something I've been asking myself lately with games is why does everything have to be realistic/simulation.

Shooters for example are trying to make things realistic with high damage guns and low health values,realistic gun sounds etc etc.

Racers have weight transition,drift that makes you spin-out if you can't control it,and big clunky cars that feel like driving a brick.

What happened to shooters that have main characters that are able to run at 60 mph with armor and health packs and power-ups? Like Doom,Duke Nukem,Quake,Unreal Tournament 99.

Or racers that don't have cars that feel like bricks? where semi's and mini vans can drive at 150 mph and take sharp turns without spinning out and your car flies like a feather? Midnight Club 2 comes to mind on that front.

How about you go play some Halo then?

Stood in the Fire StendhalSyndrom's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Un-United States, In the newest of Yorks, on the Isle of Long, roaming the Eastern Meadows.
    OK I get CoD has some "realism" but I mean how real is it to get shot in the chest w/ an assault rifle and be on the verge of death and just chill around a corner for 3 sec n be fully healed. Or hell dying and re spawning so fast you can see the cloud from and some of the explosion that killed you. I think a lot of it is the natural evolution of the graphics, but not all FPS are realistic Bulletstorm comes to mind..
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
    "Oh yeah?" said Rhonin. "Well, I've got Reginald Whipplebottom the Fourth, here." As he said this, he brandished his right fist. "And I've got Agamemnon W. Jackson, as well," he said, indicating his left fist. "And they brought their buddy, Peter T. Thickness, the Piston of Devastation." As he said this, he did a pelvic thrust, in case it wasn't clear that he was talking about his penis.

Deleted
    Realism creates Drama which creates Immersion and Excitement.

"Unrealistic" Shooters like Bulletstom are still fun, but more for comical reasons than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Realism creates Drama which creates Immersion and Excitement.

"Unrealistic" Shooters like Bulletstom are still fun, but more for comical reasons than anything else.
    I gotta disagree. Believable story and characters with personality create drama, which creates immersion and excitement. When I played CoD modern warfare I felt no sense of immersion or drama because the characters and the story felt flat to me.

When I played final fantasy tactics and beat it for the first time, *SPOILERS* I thought after the final battle that Ramza and Alma had died in the explosion at the airship graveyard. I was genuinely sad for the characters whose lives I'd followed since they were young teenagers. It felt so unfair that they had died to save the world, and that not only would the world never know about it, but they hated Ramza and had branded him as a criminal and heretic. I wanted to punch a wall.

When I saw Ramza and Alma ride by their own graves, perfectly fine, as their friends were paying their respects I just about jumped out of my seat in joy. Thinking of that scene still brings a smile to my face.

*SPOILERS FOR HALO REACH* When I saw Noble 6 die at the end of Halo Reach, I felt outraged. He said few words, but the Spartans will always hold a special place in my heart, mainly because I know what they went through from reading the Halo novels. It felt like watching a friend die.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2011-04-05 at 03:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What happened to shooters that have main characters that are able to run at 60 mph with armor and health packs and power-ups? Like Doom,Duke Nukem,Quake,Unreal Tournament 99.

Or racers that don't have cars that feel like bricks? where semi's and mini vans can drive at 150 mph and take sharp turns without spinning out and your car flies like a feather? Midnight Club 2 comes to mind on that front.
    What happened with Google? You can easily find games like those you want there...