Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

When will realism leave gaming?

Something I've been asking myself lately with games is why does everything have to be realistic/simulation.

Shooters for example are trying to make things realistic with high damage guns and low health values,realistic gun sounds etc etc.

Racers have weight transition,drift that makes you spin-out if you can't control it,and big clunky cars that feel like driving a brick.

What happened to shooters that have main characters that are able to run at 60 mph with armor and health packs and power-ups? Like Doom,Duke Nukem,Quake,Unreal Tournament 99.

Or racers that don't have cars that feel like bricks? where semi's and mini vans can drive at 150 mph and take sharp turns without spinning out and your car flies like a feather? Midnight Club 2 comes to mind on that front.

Because it sucks shooting someone in the head with an armour piercing bullet 50 times and they stand there knifing you still? Realism is good, imo, but for a fantasy game type thing (think Halo) being able to absorb damage is good as it adds to it, rather than being based on real stuff like CoD. If you got shot in the face you'd more than likely be dead.

I liked Midnight Club, but it was stupid to be in a crap car and accelerate for about half a second and be at 150mph, fun, but stupid. :3
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2011-04-04 at 08:47 PM.

thing is in todays day and age for some reason touting "Hyper realistic" sells, dont know why, but i do miss the good ol UT games.....

Deleted
    Mario Kart

Just play games set in a different time like Halo. I like how I could play Halo and have the super feeling or play Call of Duty and get dominated because a bullet would really do that to me. =)

When it stops selling.
    /endthread

I think it all depends on the game background, ie: what the game is actually about, whether sci-fi, current times, medieval, etc.

TF2 is pretty unrealistic when it comes to FPS. Getting 2 rockets to the face and still being alive (albeit at very low health) ? Yep, realism is off.

And yes, Mario Kart comes to mind for unrealistic racing :P Either that or the old F-Zero games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    I liked Midnight Club, but it was stupid to be in a crap car and accelerate for about half a second and be at 150mph, fun, but stupid. :3
    That's my point though!

It's fun to be in one of the cars in Midnight Club go 150 mph in 2 seconds and fly in the wind like a feather.

I haven't touched a racing/driving game in a long time cause of the whole driving like a BRICK thing.

Deleted
    Well if I´ve understood things right there is a new Duke Nukem commin´ :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    When it stops selling.
    /endthread
    This.

I like realism in games. Oddly enough my favorite match type in CoD is Hardcore. The NFS games are high up on my list of favorite games. I don't like driving an SUV and beating out some 250k sports car. I like actually having to slow down in corners to turn and being forced to buy better cars to do better. Non-realistic games have a goofy appeal. I enjoy playing them, but they just aren't as fun as a realistic game to me.

What's funny is I learned to drive a manual by playing Need For Speed so much.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Juri View Post
    That's my point though!

It's fun to be in one of the cars in Midnight Club go 150 mph in 2 seconds and fly in the wind like a feather.

I haven't touched a racing/driving game in a long time cause of the whole driving like a BRICK thing.
    NOS also makes everything blur.

I believe there is room for both type of games.

Both certainly have their appeal.

10+ Year Old Account
    But that's the point....

Games are GAMES they are meant to be fun an escape from real life where we can fly cars off ramps at 250 mph

It's meant to be goofy and fun

making it realistic makes it...not a game in my eyes.

Might as well just start making games where I wake up in the morning drink some coffee drive to work clock in 9-5 and repeat that monday through friday with expansion packs called "Weekend projects"

Deleted
    I agree that both have their place in the market. But I also think that the 'unrealistic' games have had there day. The old and new generation gamer have grown up a little and want something more challenging and involving. Older games like Doom and what not are awesome to play, but just wouldn't work in todays graphical context where you actually want 'smart AI' to spice things up a little, rather than being predictable and....blah.

People also want an involving story line that feels believable, they don't want to have the sort of "lol you are this soldier guy in the most powerful robot suit alive and you'll just steam roll everything...and thats about it"

15+ Year Old Account
    What are these realistic games you speak of?

COD? BF? NFS?

Thes ones listed are not even close, please enlighten me.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

But that's the point....

Games are GAMES they are meant to be fun an escape from real life where we can fly cars off ramps at 250 mph

It's meant to be goofy and fun

making it realistic makes it...not a game in my eyes.

Might as well just start making games where I wake up in the morning drink some coffee drive to work clock in 9-5 and repeat that monday through friday with expansion packs called "Weekend projects"
    Any Burnout game in the series.
    Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
    Blur
    Split Second

There are games for both sides, unrealistic and arcade racers. You're just choosing to look at the realistic ones for your argument.

You mean sims?

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    You mean sims?
    Dammit, u were faster

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why should it leave gaming? If you don't prefer realistic games, there is a variety of other options to choose from.