my friend takes alot of dmg!

Hi, my dk friend takes a shit ton of dmg.
    we're both aware of this, and he knows it.
    we dont know why and he hear it every dungeon he takes.

his armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...heari/advanced

please come with any help you can.

I, (holy priest) have to spam flash healx2 and a greater heal combo on almost every pull.
    this should not be!
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

the fact he is DPS gemmed and geared doesnt help, also are you using PW:S pre pulls?

15+ Year Old Account
    Well from a quick glance if the link you provided is his 'tank' set its about half dps gear half tank gear. If he had a full set of tank gear he would take less damage for sure. He is also missing enchants and hasnt reforged at all. His gems are terrible.

You should have him read up on the DK threads at EJ for sure, maybe one of the full time DK tanks here can help but if he spent 30 minutes reading up himself it would do him worlds of good.
    Was hit with a nerf bat!

His armory shows him in DPS gear. Either he logged out in DPS gear, which happens, just get him to log out in his tank gear so we can judge the situation better.

OR

He actually tries to tank wearing all that DPS gear, with DPS gems. in which case it's plainly obvious why he is so hard to heal. He has like 2 tank pieces, the rest are pure DPS gear with no defensive stats like dodge or mastery.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Feel free to check my Armory for my Avoidance Tank setup.

I haven't check the OP's armory (can't at work) but, I generally run heroics in my 359 ilvl dps gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

He should be reforging for mastery as well as trying to gem for it, with avoidance and then stamina being lower priority, if my info's correct.

He's also weilding a weapon that isn't runeforged... should correct that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm looks like it's changed now, here are the problems I see
    1) ZERO reforging. Reforge all Hit/Expertise/Haste/Crit to either Mastery or Avoidance.
    2) Glyphs: Swap out Death and Decay, Pestilence, and Blood Boil, they are worthless for tanks.
    3) Talents: Respec out of Crimson Scourge, Desecration, and Unholy Command and INTO Lichborne + Scent of Blood 2/3.
    4) Enchants: There are none, or a belt buckle... Even his weapon is lacking which is free...
    5) Gems: the hit/mastery needs to be replaced, but I'm guessing he uses the shoulders for DPS'ing.
    6) Balance parry and dodge (by reforging). Ratings are WAY to far apart.
    7) Get Blood Shield Tracker. Can't tell by armory but I'm willing to bet $20 he's never even heard of it.

Honestly it looks like it's just due to laziness. Does he actually like/want to tank? If you aren't going to research your specs/glyphs or enchant/reforge your gear, it usually means it's cause you don't care. Plus DK's main mitigation method is not passive, at least lazy Pallys/Warriors/Bears get their mitigation even if they are AFK.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    1) ZERO reforging. Reforge all Hit/Expertise/Haste/Crit to either Mastery or Avoidance.
    2) Glyphs: Swap out Death and Decay, Pestilence, and Blood Boil, they are worthless for tanks.
    3) Talents: Respec out of Crimson Scourge, Desecration, and Unholy Command and INTO Lichborne + Scent of Blood 2/3.
    4) Enchants: There are none, or a belt buckle... Even his weapon is lacking which is free...
    5) Gems: the hit/mastery needs to be replaced, but I'm guessing he uses the shoulders for DPS'ing.
    7) Get Blood Shield Tracker. Can't tell by armory but I'm willing to bet $20 he's never even heard of it.

Honestly it looks like it's just due to laziness. Does he actually like/want to tank? If you aren't going to research your specs/glyphs or enchant/reforge your gear, it usually means it's cause you don't care. Plus DK's main mitigation method is not passive, at least lazy Pallys/Warriors/Bears get their mitigation even if they are AFK.
    bears dont either to be fair
    but yeh i agree with the rest

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post

Advice on spec would be good for raid tanking, not so good for instance tanking (and it looks like it's the only thing he does).
    In instance, where 90% of the pulls are AoE, Crimson Scourge and Pestilence/Blood Boil Glyphs help quite some (the first for the free blood boil that hits quite hard, the other two for a bigger pestilence and bb range), while Lichborne isn't really that useful in instance (most of the time, if you ends up having to sacrifice all your rp (if you manage to have enough for it) to heal yourself with lichborne, there is usually a big problem and you'll die anyway 9 out of 10 times....

He would be better off keeping Crimson Scourge and Abom's Might, dropping the useless Runic Power Mastery and Desecration, and drop points into scent of blood (for more rp gen) and Morbidity (more DnD damage/threat).

Once again, with an hc instance farm build in mind. For raids the LB subspec is better.

On a sidenote, tell your friend that :

- he doesn't have to get all the socket bonus, some SUCKS (+10 dodge/parry is useless, don't even try to get the socket bonus for that)
    - he can use mixed color gems.
    - Mastery is better than dodge in yellow sockets.
    - Mastery/Parry, Mastery/Stam gems would be better in most of his sockets, instead of going 40 parry/40 dodge/60 stam.
    - Drop the Death Coil glyph, it's useless without the LB subspec (it's already not useful anymore with it, it's only useful in UH to heal your pet from memory)
    - Runeforge his weapon. It takes 2 mins to port to Acheron Hold, runeforge it, and hearth back and it can be a nice upgrade.
    - Work on the rep needed for head/shoulder enchants, it's revered at max, and it comes fast, specially when you do the quests in the zones that gives rep.
    - Grab some enchants from the ah, some are damn cheap due to them being leveling recipes for enchanters/LW.
    They don't need to be the best ones, but even some lower level ones would be better than nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ashareth
    Advice on spec would be good for raid tanking, not so good for instance tanking (and it looks like it's the only thing he does).
    I was exalted with 100% of cata factions before I ever started raiding. You don't get that by standing around SW all night.

In instance, where 90% of the pulls are AoE, Crimson Scourge and Pestilence/Blood Boil Glyphs help quite some (the first for the free blood boil that hits quite hard, the other two for a bigger pestilence and bb range)
    The OP asked for help because his friend is taking to much damage, all you did is suggest DPS increases. How is this helping him?

while Lichborne isn't really that useful in instance (most of the time, if you ends up having to sacrifice all your rp (if you manage to have enough for it) to heal yourself with lichborne, there is usually a big problem and you'll die anyway 9 out of 10 times....
    Absolutely wrong, half the bosses in heroic dungeons can practically be solo'd by DK's with the entire party dead even with blues. Rahj in HoO is a great example of this. DPS/Healer sucks and melts druing burn phase, use Lichborne to recover during melee phase, AMS through 2nd burn and kill boss.
    I've tanked Anshal in Tot4W with a dead healer, guess what one of the CD's I used was?

- he doesn't have to get all the socket bonus, some SUCKS (+10 dodge/parry is useless, don't even try to get the socket bonus for that)
    Wrong again, how can you even say that for a tank taking to much damage, +10 dodge/parry is useless? Using mixed gems you can gain survivability stats + socket bonus in every piece of tanking gear.
    Blue - +stam or stam/mastery
    Red - stam/parry
    Yellow - stam/mastery or +mastery
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Deleted
    you don't state what dungeons he is tanking to take so much damage so gear is difficult to asses, but i have observed by far the main cause of DK tanks taking too much damage is playing the pre 4.0 style, i.e. using death runes for heart strike rather than keeping a blood shield up via death strike, and failing to use CD's at appropriate times.

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    with avoidance and then stamina being lower priority, if my info's correct.
    It's not. Avoidance = Mastery in terms of priority.

"But avoidance is RNG!"
    Well, your current mastery is RNG too. You may miss a big heal and shield because of GCD, missing hit and expertise, bad position at the time, etc. Generally speaking the RNG of avoidance is as consistent as mastery is.

"Then shouldn't we lower the RNG for mastery?"
    No, we really shouldn't. That's wasting a lot of survivability for other stats.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-04-06 at 06:51 PM.