Deleted

Player Rating System for the RDF - idea

Wo we've all heard these terrible stories about the RDF and how bad and abusive some players can be. Generally the system doesn't bring out the best in people.

Hence I propose a rating system, ranging from 1-5 Stars. The idea is simple:

-At the end of a dungeon run using the RDF, a screen pops up allowing you to rate your fellow players on a range of 1 (poor) to 5 (excellent) stars, just like you can rate threads here on MMO-C.
    -This results in an average rating which is then used to select fellow players. Ergo 4 Star players would preferably be matched with other 4 Star players while 2 Star players are matched with other 2 Star players.

-You can only rate players from other servers, not you own.
    -You can rate people who you have played with for more than 20 minutes. If for example someone has to leave half way through, you can still rate him.
    -If you finish a dungeon from start to finish, you gain an extra Star for that run.
    -Every time you disconnect or quit early (less than 20 minutes invested), you gain a 0 rating for that run.
    -The rating system disregards 10% of your lowest ratings.
    -The rating system deletes ratings that are older than 2 months.
    -If one of the 4 ratings at the end of a dungeon varies more than 2 Stars from the other ratings, it is disregarded.

Example 1: Peggy Sue has just finished a Heroic Run. Everything went well and according to plan. She was rated with 4, 4, 5 and 1 Star at the end of the run (+1 Bonus Star for completing it from start to finish). The one Star was awarded by a Troll Rogue who was clearly out to grief. Hence that score is disregarded. She leaves the run with an average score of 4.33 (+1) which is added to her history. In future the RFD will try to match her with players of a similar rating.

Example 2: Duke just finished a rather messy dungeon run. 15 minutes into the run, the healer dropped out (0 rating for him) mid fight, causing a wipe. This resulted in one player leaving shortly after, who was then rated 1, 2 and 2 points by his ex-comrades. They finish the run with the new healer and DPS 15 minutes later, but the new players cannot be rated(under 20 minutes rule) and they can't vote on him. Still, Duke is awarded 3 and 3 (+1 Bonus) Stars by the players who actually finished with him.

The idea is basically to promote positive behaviour and play within the RFD. Obviously there are opportunities for trolling but I think they can be dealt with. The system is only meant to be optional and should encourage people to play nice, in hopes of being teamed up with other nice people. People who are douches, will just end up with other douches which is only fair.

I know there are plenty of loopholes I probably havn't considered yet, but you get the idea.

Deleted
    Nice idea, but would get abused by the scrubs.
    Say you got a group with 3 baddies (assuming everyone starts at x stars), they die due to standing in fire, pulling aggro due to attacking the moon instead of the skull etc.

Now they would most likely give the tank + healer a rating of 1. And that is why we cant have nice things.

Deleted
    Most of the players that are either assholes or lazy (or lazy assholes) would just give out 1s to everyone, just to be able to an anonymous assbag.

That's why the internet is so cruel. And as ostjaevel said, that is why we can't have nice things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ostjaevel View Post
    Nice idea, but would get abused by the scrubs.
    Say you got a group with 3 baddies (assuming everyone starts at x stars), they die due to standing in fire, pulling aggro due to attacking the moon instead of the skull etc.

Now they would most likely give the tank + healer a rating of 1. And that is why we cant have nice things.
    Nice post, and the only instance I know where "why we can't have nice things" have been a logical conclusion. Congratulations, sir/madam! =D
    (and thank you)

Personally, I'd love to see a system similar to this. Of course, it would have to be tweaked here and there, to allow for as little griefing as possible. I'd love to give examples, but I can't for the life of me think of any =/
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    Yes, the internet can be a cruel place and there will be situations where it'll be abused. But that's the nice thing about statistics and large numbers.....it all evens out at the end.

What are the chances of getting 2 griefers in the same group at once and actually finishing the run with both of them? Not very high I'd assume. On the other hand there will be plenty of occasions where people get good ratings despite being carried. But that to will even out in the end. The system would obviously require a certain number of inputs before "activating"

And those of you who remember dishonourable kills in Vanilla will not what an effect such a "bad behaviour discouragement mechanism" can have.

Deleted
    Nice post, and the only instance I know where "why we can't have nice things" have been a logical conclusion. Congratulations, sir/madam! =D
    (and thank you)
    /bow
    (10 characters.)

10+ Year Old Account
    A system like this will be abused. People will rate others lower, just because they can.
    Apart from that: you don't want to segregate the good and the bad. You want the bad to improve. By grouping 'bad' players together, nothing will actually change.
    I've heard of a game where certain players could sign up to be a 'guide' of some sort, where new, or unsure, players could ask those questions.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Well people can be bad for two reasons.

1. Because they lack gameknowledge and the gaming skills required to succeed in dungeons.

2 They chose to harass their fellow players just for the sake of griefing.

To be honest, while I've had a couple of bad runs in early Cataclysm, I'd say 9/10 runs are pretty smooth. Maybe griefing and douchbaggery is more of a problem in the US for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see this easily abused. Happens all the time when I play on XBL and people get butthurt about me killing/beating them.

People are usually very grateful when I heal, especially when it's done with little to no incidents. Still, I've been bitched out by dumb DPS a few times, and even tanks. The worst was some tank attempting to tank in Bloodthirsty PvP gear saying I sucked. :l

This would be awesome, except that the wow community is full of the whiniest, self-entitled, douchebaggiest people in the entire world. As said before, people would just give 1's all around to be assholes.

To high a chance of being abused. It's nice that you're thinking of solutions, but this won't work.

Deleted
    Am I the only once who has even a hint of faith in humanity?

/lonely idealist

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Am I the only once who has even a hint of faith in humanity?

/lonely idealist
    I have a lot of faith in humanity, just not the WoW community.