Deleted

Interfaces and Key bindings

Hey, so .. I have been looking at all these pre-made interface packages, they are all very different to the standard blizz UI. Some of which I would like to try out.

My concern is that they all have very very little moves, you know maybe only 1/2 action bars, now on my characters I have all of the filled up (Standard Blizz UI)

So, my first question is how can people manage with so little moves out on their actions bars?

My second question is what should i do about keybindings, atm I use the usual 1,2,3,4 etc etc numbers, and that is it really. I would say my fingers length and stretch is .. you know average.

I did speak to people about using Shift / Alt - 1, 2 etc, but really.. thats just awkward i cant really use it. I also really like all the standard blizz keybinds, let you know B for opening bags etc, so i would like to keep them. I do not have a gaming mouse or keyboard, so any idea's to what i can do to get more keybindings?

Learn to use modifiers ><' Srsly. Also bind the keys around your movement keys. Plenty of options...

On a lot of my characters I have Shift+ some letters bound like Shift+R, Shift+D, Shift+W, Shift+E etc.

Also on a lot of the UI screenshots you see they may choose to only have one or two bars showing, but the rest of their moves are usually keybinded and hidden because they don't need to actually look at it.

If you want another idea to free up a lot of bars that you are using for stuff you never really use that much I like OPie. It makes rings for groups of spells that you bring up with a keybind (example: Alt+T will bring up a ring with all of your Tradeskills, then you just move the mouse and let go of the keybind and it opens the Tradeskill for you). It's great because it doesn't take up any space and is very fast to access.
    Last edited by lawomous; 2011-04-09 at 11:33 PM.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

I find Opie to be invaluable for rarely used, or non-combat abilities such as professions, situational mounts etc.
    If you have a keyboard with programmable "macro" keys or additional keys you can assign a keystroke or keybind to then those are something I am finding useful to use with Opie for say buffs, mounts, professions etc on their own button.

Deleted
    Yeah, i guess hiding non combat stuff when in combat is a nice idea to save space. Has anyone got experience of using any of the pre-made interface packages, not sure if i have the time and patience to sit and configure mine all up, are they easy?

As someone who went from clicking to heal, to using keys, using mouseovers and now using shift/alt modifiers i know exactly how u feel.
    Every time i had to do a new thing i sucked at it and usually went back to my old ways.
    But tried it again and after a while you will develop the muscle memory for it and you wonder why you never did it like that before.

All my heal spells are from 1-4 with modifiers (alt and shift) since i can hit those blindy. Dispells and such are Q and E with modifiers.

Just give it a longer try and you will learn it. Can be frustrating at start tho :P

I personally move my movement keys one key to the right, so instead of w,a,s,d i use e,s,d,f this gives me q, a, z, x, g, v, t and 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 all very easy to reach and with that i use Alt and Shift modifiers for every key, which gives me somewhere around 36 possible keys, all very close to my movement keys. This probably seems very overwhelming to a person that isn't capable of typing at a good pace, the right way, but try starting with just a few keybinds at a time and work your way into using lots of them.

Deleted
    Interfaces can allow users to clean up their interface so stuff is ordered and you can see more thats going around.

I personally don't use any action bars and have everything I need bound.