Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Maximum Damage Shadowpriest tricks!

Hello

Like to know if any 25k dps shadowpriests have special tricks to share. Doing pretty good wondering if i still can learn more.

Cover all the basics

Pop Volcanic potion before fight starts, pop volcanic potion for bloodlust
    good rotation
    refresh the right dots when trinkets pop, maximize trinkets
    Try to have archangel up for - 25 percent for increased dps on deaths and mb
    Multidotting fights focus macro keep all dots up on two targets

I read about all spriests threads i could find, wondering if any pro max dps priests are around to maybe share some extra insight. Some spriests clearly do more dps then others in same gear. What makes u better then others, what do u focus on. Is it better gear management, u focus more om perfect rotation to the milisecond, what gave u best dps boosts when gearing up, did good trinkets boost most of your dps. Do u use any addons that helped boost dps.

Im playing without di and still doing very great dps, my warlock idiot buddy the epeen whore gives it to healer , doesnt wanne boost me hehe. If anyone can share some knowlegde on be coming a top spriest. Preferably info thats not found elsewhere. Why do u do more dps then another priest. There must be a reason when gear is equal.

One problem i have is when to pop archanglel when multidotting, seems very hard to do when keeping dots on two targets that not always enough time to get your stacks up till 5 before needing to refresh. Do u keep archangel for after or also use archangel during multidot

Is there any other class that boost our damage that we should time some stuff with besides di or bloodlust.

thank you

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    The best thing you can possibly do to increase your damage is master movement on each fight. The less you move, the more damage you can do. This means you need to be smart in how you move.

Archangel during potion/Bloodlust/when trinkets are up if possible, but make sure you've just refreshed VT, and DP has at least 18 seconds left before you pop it, so all you're going to be doing during that time is Flaying, Mind Blasting and SW (if the mob is under 25% obviously). Never pop your Archangel during multi-DoTing, since you're basically only using it to gain mana if you do that.

DoT everything in sight, unless it's going to die quickly. It's really not worth refreshing DoTs just because your trinket's procced. Just keep Flaying.

Tell your Lock friend he's an idiot, and link him to this thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...6-2011-02-07))

Pop your seccond volcano while you have your proc trinket on, you use trinket on and pull wings, all that during BL and you'll shit bricks.
    If you can't time that so good so you'll have to wait with using cooldowns, skipp it, not worth delaying CDs for 30secs for anything like it.

The best thing you can possibly do to increase your damage is master movement on each fight. The less you move, the more damage you can do. This means you need to be smart in how you move.
    Alltho this is very much true, you should also move as much as you can while you are on a global CD for the extra mirrors.

I've found it a dps decrease to refresh dots when your trinkets proc, do it if it's little time left on them, otherwise just get as many MS and MBs of during the time.

A /focus target macro + altbind your spells to focus is pretty much golden, do eeeeiit.

Read up on how to gem and reforge, remember that it's better to reforge to hit and gem int (depends on the bonus) than the other way round as you can't refogre int.

If you don't get DI, it's pretty much over. I've found myself dropping from 26-28k ish on the drakes to 22k without DI, just smack your "friend" in the face, it's the ebst for the whole raid (not to mention that it's better for both you and you warlock to give it to you, we ignore those moonkins).

Pretty much what Tihr said about wings, if you can't refresh your dots, atleast be sure that you can stack up the 5 stacks of evangelsim again before you have to do so.
    I rarely refresh my dots just because I want to flay as much during wings as I use my trinkets and pots while I wing, meaning that the dots will loose valuble SP if I refresh them early (not to forget the loss of global CD).

Last, optimize your ger, get int, go for haste. Get spell hit, go for haste. Ditch mastery.

Look for the slightest uppgrades that can mather, I just wasted GP on the head from valiona over my engi head because it ended up as a 20int for 20 spirit trade. Use simcraft to get your numbers on every stat.

Yepp, it's much and yepp, I'm pro, nothing I can do about it :<

i refresh vt and dp when volcano and power torrent procs together, i find this to increase my dps greatly, also use my shadowfiend during this time as it greatly gets more dps during those procs. However i have been reading contradictory info, some people say refresh other people say dont refresh. i seem to get alot more dps from refreshing as a plus 2000 intellect dot cant be worse then a mindflay escpailly on movement fight where wont be able to be sure to do mindflays.

if u dont refresh your dots during trinkets procs, then why have those trinkets, then they are useless since u didnt gain their boost....

One thing i have issues with is mastery, why is mastery still regarded bad equal to around crit now when it also increases your dot damage now. Having higher mastery increases the dot damage from your empowered shadows. i normally have 25 percent, but when i use extra mastery gear then i can increase that to 30 percent, seems mastery is really good but im not a theory dude. But so getting a static dps boost from mastery isnt great at all people claim, that i fail to understand. they changed mastery in last patch so it now also increased the dot damage boost of empowered, so i fail to understand that increasing your empowered shadows to 35 percent is worse then crit.

people use therallions mirror as best trinket also because the mastery proc double the empowered shadows, so u can get up to 40 percent dot damage increase by the mastery proc. i would presume that alot of nice extra dps with very strong dots. if the trinket is so good, why is mastery on gear regarded so badly, since every little bit of extra mastery increases your dots by some percentages.

ps: im doing about 38k dps on drakes 10man, half epic gear rep rewards and half heroic gear without di. simcraft says i should do 16.5k dps unbuffed solo and i do about 13.5k dps on dummy. is it realisticly posssible to achieve simcraft values?
    Last edited by Deadlybonne; 2011-04-10 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlybonne View Post
    i refresh vt and dp when volcano and power torrent procs together, i find this to increase my dps greatly, also use my shadowfiend during this time as it greatly gets more dps during those procs. However i have been reading contradictory info, some people say refresh other people say dont refresh. i seem to get alot more dps from refreshing as a plus 2000 intellect dot cant be worse then a mindflay escpailly on movement fight where wont be able to be sure to do mindflays.

if u dont refresh your dots during trinkets procs, then why have those trinkets, then they are useless since u didnt gain their boost....

One thing i have issues with is mastery, why is mastery still regarded bad equal to around crit now when it also increases your dot damage now. Having higher mastery increases the dot damage from your empowered shadows. i normally have 25 percent, but when i use extra mastery gear then i can increase that to 30 percent, seems mastery is really good but im not a theory dude. But so getting a static dps boost from mastery isnt great at all people claim, that i fail to understand. they changed mastery in last patch so it now also increased the dot damage boost of empowered, so i fail to understand that increasing your empowered shadows to 35 percent is worse then crit.

people use therallions mirror as best trinket also because the mastery proc double the empowered shadows, so u can get up to 40 percent dot damage increase by the mastery proc. i would presume that alot of nice extra dps with very strong dots. if the trinket is so good, why is mastery on gear regarded so badly, since every little bit of extra mastery increases your dots by some percentages.

ps: im doing about 38k dps on drakes, half epic gear rep rewards and half heroic gear without di. simcraft says i should do 16.5k dps unbuffed solo and i do about 13.5k dps on dummy. is it realisticly posssible to achieve simcraft values?
    Your trinkets still up your MF and MB dmg, so there is no direct need to refresh, tho the dps difference isn't big in any direction so ti's up to you.
    Mastery is good in one way, but crit and haste have allways been the top for us. Haste is given because it affect everything we got, faster dots, faster channels faster MBs (faster MFs -> more MFs crits -> lesser CD on fiend). Crit have allways been good for everyone, dealing more dmg with some attacks 20% ish times is just good, no amount of SP increase the dmg as crit can.
    While mastery does increase dmg on both MB and your dots, it's to random. You don't allways have three orbs. 1 orb very much for you mb while 2 is okey, 3 is just wickedly nice. The dot dmg increase is allways nice, but compared to haste and crit, it just doesn't cut it. Start doing some simcraft and look over how crit and haste is implied in different spells ekvations and you'll see it much easier.

Mirror is a very good trinket because of the very high amount of int on it, same thing goes for the JC trinket (serpent). It's better than alot of trinkets you can find in any of the current raid in normal content and is only beaten by Volcano before you come to HCs.
    And mastery isn't bad, just not as good as the other stuff.

How you do 38k dps in half blues and half epics on Valiona and Theralion without DI is beoynd me, but no, it's not possible to reach simcraft values on a patchwerk style fight as a computer will redo everything and recount everything for every spell to fit in perfect.
    Last edited by eErike; 2011-04-10 at 02:08 PM.

Deleted
    Encounter wise:

Magmaw: Refresh your DoTs when Magmaw's exposed head is about to rise again. Use DBM to track this, start refreshing VT and DP with 5~ seconds left. Make sure you have 5 stacks of evangelism and ES running when doing this. AND DON'T RECAST DP AS SOON AS THE HEAD RISES. Use an addon like ForteXorcist to track it's duration and let it stay for the whole duration. Gratz, you are now doing 3-4k~ more dps during the encounter. Archangel should be ready for each headphase if you use it in the start. Try and have your fiend ready for this too.
    Use a target macro for the blazing bone constructs. Tab'ing is never the best way of doing it.

Omnotron: Recast your dots on your target when standing in the pool unless your dots are already empowered by the buff. Refresh your DoTs one last time before the last pool is about to expire. When a Tron has around 15 ~ energy left it's shield with expire (on heroic mode at least), track the shield with a focus target, and put up a VT on it after the shield is gone. You can also have full DoTs running on every tron except for Magmatron even post 50 energy.
    Use a /tar slime pool (name?) /cast mind spike macro for the small green adds. VERY EFFECTIVE.

Maloriak: Prioritize VT on every add in black phase, try and score some sweet execute Sw:d's during this phase for extra mana = more dps. Predot the adds before a green phase. VT is your key spell.

Atramedes: Use a mind spike macro for add killing on heroic. Refresh your dots before an air phase.

Chimaeron: Don't throw your big mind blasts away when affected by the slime debuff. Make sure to refresh your dots in the start of feud and during feud if you know they will run out when you are affected by his debuff. Precast mind blast and VT if you are affected by his debuff.

Nefarian: Multidot like a whore. Prioritize refreshing VT and DP after a mind control on heroic mode, also just before the buff expires (depending on your stacks of course). Don't override the last tick of your empowered DoTs, rather let them run out and land your new DoTs just as the last tick happens.

Well that was all I wanted to say.
    Last edited by mmoca20fa69a21; 2011-04-10 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    How you do 38k dps in half blues and half epics on Valiona and Theralion without DI is beoynd me, but no, it's not possible to reach simcraft values on a patchwerk style fight as a computer will redo everything and recount everything for every spell to fit in perfect.
    My best guess is that he means Halfus when he says "drakes".

Thanks for all the tips, everyone, and please keep them coming. I'm relatively new to spriest, and finding this very helpful.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great stuff in Funk's post, thanks.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

15+ Year Old Account

Crit simply has a better scaling coefficient than Mastery, but they are quite close.

http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=29828 (Check bottom of first post - it is an oldish post btw and for more accurate figures you would want to run simcraft with your own gear setup as well)

Theralion's Mirror is so good because it has Intellect, but the Mastery proc is also insane because you can refresh Empowered Shadow right after it procs and then just before the Mirror proc runs out essentially giving you 15 additional seconds of Empowered Shadow with the Mastery boost as long as you don't MB with orbs before it runs out.
    Last edited by jinxx; 2011-04-11 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    ps: im doing about 38k dps on drakes 10man, half epic gear rep rewards and half heroic gear without di.
    that is a bold face lie.

To the people who say that dots should not be refreshed with trinket procs, why wouldn't you at least refresh devouring plague, considering the global spent still does very decent damage due to improved dp.

Personally i do refresh devouring plague, vt is a bit more situational, if i got 2 sec left on trinket procs and 4 sec left on dot i would probably refresh it.

It seems to be quite a lot of discussion about refreshing dots when your SP/Int trinket/Lightweave/Power Torrent proccs. As refreshing DP always will do more dps than mind flaying (the instant DP dmg is quite high), you should ALWAYS refresh DP asap when u get a procc, and then refresh it when the procc is about to run out (track this with any addon like ForteExorcist, DoTimer, or simply looking at your buff-bar).

The discussion however, is about VT. It has a 1.5sec casttime (0 haste) and no instant dmg like DP. Some theorycrafting says that u should, some says that you shouldn't refresh it when u get a procc. I prefer to only refresh VT if I have Volcano, Power Torrent and Lightweave up at the same time, or any haste effect like Berserking or Blood Lust.

I don't know why some ppl are saying that u shouldn't pop Archangel while multidotting. During V&T you are basically multidotting the entire fight (haven't tried HC yet), except for when Valiona does her 3 x deep breath. Don't come here and tell me that you save your AA for when she is doing that. Refresh VT and DP on your main target, refresh VT on your off-target (focus, target macro, manual targetting, whatever you do), then pop AA and flay (remember to flay once more on each target after u get 5 stacks of Evangelism to refresh SW:P with 5 stacks instead of 0-5).

You will have to refresh VT once during AA on single target aswell anyway
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Deleted
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=57934
    Tricks!
    Not sure you'd want the aggro, but hey, it'll probably be ok... you can trust a Rogue... right?

10+ Year Old Account
    - Refresh DP when you get a proc it's usually worth it don't do the same with VT you need a more powerfull buff like 2 trinks or something to make it worth.

- Try to dps 100% of the time, cast DP when you need to move if it's not buffed SW otherwise.

- If you master multidotting you will see you dps going sky high, on dual fights you must have a DOT uptime of >90% on both targets.

- On pull pop volcanic, apply dots, MF to x5 stacks, pop wings MF and when you got x5 stacks MB again, re-apply DP and VT usually i'm just 0.5 seconds before all my procs expires when i applied super-buffed DP and VT skyrocketing the initial DPS on ~30k if i have DI.

- Pop SF just before BL.

10+ Year Old Account
    DISCLAIMER: Was drunk when I wrote this, please excuse this post for its total wrongness.
    Also no Im not lying about my deeps, its not hard to pull 55k-60k DPS on Hardmode halfus, if you just dot everything (with DI)

ps: im doing about 38k dps on drakes 10man, half epic gear rep rewards and half heroic gear without di. simcraft says i should do 16.5k dps unbuffed solo and i do about 13.5k dps on dummy. is it realisticly posssible to achieve simcraft values?
    Uhm don't listen to him. Dear priests everywhere, I know its hard, but learn to read. Our mastery does NOT increase dot damage. It only increases mind blast damage. Casting mind blast with any amount of orbs will give you empowered shadows, which gives you 20% dot damage regardless of mastery.

Other than that, there are good posts here, not much more to add. I personally pull 55-60k on half heroic in 358 gear. On single targets about 18-20 and 15 on dummies.

As for the DI thing. Don't QQ if he gives it to a druid healer over you, its better for the raid to survive than for you to pad the charts. If he gives to to any other class/spec, then call him out on it.
    Last edited by ibprofin; 2011-04-14 at 12:11 PM. Reason: must stop drinking
    "Its hard to tank!"
    "....Yeah, maybe in the first 5 seconds... if you don't have a hunter... or a rogue... or competent dps.... maybe...."

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Conjure refreshment now applies a debuff that does 30,000 shadow damage over 10 seconds to anyone, friend or foe, within 30 yards. "Vendor's Vengeance" is not dispellable.

Deleted
    get macro for mind flay, so you can spam button witouth clipping mind flay and cast it immidietly when you stop casting it.

this is macro:
    /cast [nochanneling:Mind Flay] Mind flay

it helped me a lot whit my dps.. no downtime or cliping of mindflay and you can focus more on refreshing dots, boss tactics, then focusing on when to recast mind flay

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ibprofin View Post
    K

Uhm don't listen to him. Dear priests everywhere, I know its hard, but learn to read. Our mastery does NOT increase dot damage. It only increases mind blast damage. Casting mind blast with any amount of orbs will give you empowered shadows, which gives you 20% dot damage regardless of mastery.

Other than that, there are good posts here, not much more to add. I personally pull 55-60k on half heroic in 358 gear. On single targets about 18-20 and 15 on dummies.

As for the DI thing. Don't QQ if he gives it to a druid healer over you, its better for the raid to survive than for you to pad the charts. If he gives to to any other class/spec, then call him out on it.
    Empowered Shadows scales with your mastery. 20 % is your number, whereas someone with a higher mastery rating will have a higher DoT % increase. For example, try and proc a shadow orb, cast mind blast and check your current ES number. Now dumb your mastery rating by taking off most of your gear that has mastery on it, and do the exact same thing. You will notice that your Empoweres shadows buff will have a lower value.

Quote Originally Posted by ibprofin View Post
    K

Please read your own tooltips before telling other's not to listen to him. Shadow Orb Power this is the Shadow Priest mastery which directly ties into Shadow Orbs. Mastery increases your Mind Blast and Mind Spells as well as increases your Shadow DoT's damage by X%.

Also, you pull 55-60k yet you only pull 18-20k on single targets and 15k on dummies, care to prove any of this?

While giving a DI to a druid healer will increase some survivability you can look at as if the dps did more dps then the heals would have less to worry about terms of throughput in a sense. If you can give it to a dps class and knock off let's say 30 seconds of a fight which one would have more of an impact? Those 30 seconds could be a difference maker in whether healers would oom, something bad would happen, etc.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Can someone give me an example of how a /focus target macro looks?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are several ways with focus.

First
    You make a separate macro like
    /focus [nomod, harm]
    /clearfocus [mod]
    and then you make a macro for SW: P
    /cast [mod:alt, @focus][] Shadow Word: Pain

The second way is to combine it
    /focus [@focus, noexist][@focus, dead][mod:shift]
    /cast [mod:alt, @focus][] Shadow Word: Pain
    It sets the focus for you if you have none, or the previos focus is already dead. Besides you can force focus by pressing your shift key.
    Also it casts SW: P on your focus

P.S.: writing from work, the syntax may be off a little
    Last edited by Dreyks; 2011-04-11 at 09:52 AM.